If we did go up...?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Was talking to mates about going up other day. 2 of them said - "I don't want us to go up this year"

NEVER understood that stance. I want us to win every game and win every league and cup, every fucking year!

Indeed - but the big thing about going up, is that it's free money from SKY - not complain about Directors not put their own money in.

There's only one place to play your football - the Premier league, whether you are ready or not.

What we should do next time is try and use the money more wisely.

UTB

If we fluked our way up in a league that's very much of a muchness in terms of the level of opposition, we'd need to spend a fortune on upgrading the squad if we had any plans on staying in the Premier League for, god-forbid, more than two seasons at a time.

We'd have to pocket the cash and be sensible about who we sign and what we spend the money on, not pissing money away on strikers who in over 2 seasons have barely 20 goals between them. The amount of money we'd have to spend to get players in who can keep us up long term would be biblical so yo-yoing, Norwich style would be the only way to start banking the cash to try and build a squad that can compete. Burnley have done ok but have been treading water for a while and will eventually come back down.

As much as it hurts to say it the yo-yo Norwich approach isn't the worst plan in the world especially if we are not going to get a new owner anytime soon.

I just don't like that plodding along take the money and go business model but if you have owners that have nowt then it's the only option.

If we did go up, take the Norwich approach I would think, don't make any major signings and use the TV money to consolidate the financial position of the club. It's negative (and a moot point), but I don't think the current squad would be anywhere near competitive

What then?

Of course it's a long shot, cross that bridge etc. though genuinely curious to wonder how we would go about it.

Obviously it would depend on how our current players perform for the rest of the season, though I suspect we would be in deep trouble without several new players in any event.

We would need to learn from past mistakes, namely overpaying for certain players on the basis of 'potential' and ignoring the foreign market and not utilising loans/free transfers as much as we should have, as well as we neglected players with Premier League experience etc.

Even if we did go up, and someone with more expertise in the club's accounting can say more, I suspect our budget would be limited and we'd be paying off transfer fees from when we were last there.

Therefore I imagine the mantra would be 'think Norwich', were we to make the PL next season for the time being at least.
It's not worth bothering about ... be satisfied this season to finish mid table.

What then?

Of course it's a long shot, cross that bridge etc. though genuinely curious to wonder how we would go about it.

Obviously it would depend on how our current players perform for the rest of the season, though I suspect we would be in deep trouble without several new players in any event.

We would need to learn from past mistakes, namely overpaying for certain players on the basis of 'potential' and ignoring the foreign market and not utilising loans/free transfers as much as we should have, as well as we neglected players with Premier League experience etc.

Even if we did go up, and someone with more expertise in the club's accounting can say more, I suspect our budget would be limited and we'd be paying off transfer fees from when we were last there.

Therefore I imagine the mantra would be 'think Norwich', were we to make the PL next season for the time being at least.
Fuck me. Last week we were going down.

On board a load of glory fans to fill up empty seats in BLUT

It's not worth bothering about ... be satisfied this season to finish mid table.
Why ? What does that achieve other than time to regroup and a miserable time for the fans over 26 games ?

We have one hell of a season from now on (what’s not to like?)…..Spend nowt, get relegated but become financially better off with Tv revenue and parachute payments.Start again.

Last edited:
A big if but we won promotion then we would have a bigger chance of being sold to investors.

That surely is enough reason to go up.

Secondly the money could be used to upgrade the facilities and academy and would set us up for years.

Why anyone would turn down that money is crazy.

Out of interest, if we do miss out this year, do you think we'll have a better or worse chance of going up next year?

The net transfers in the Championship this summer was +£65m, meaning that the sales outweighed the purchases. There is literally no money left in the championship. Fulham had a net spend of £15m, by far the biggest spenders with Boro next up spending £8m.

If we don't get promoted, we'll be forced to sell players, most likely, Egan, Bogle, Baldock, Berge, Brewster, McBurnie & Mousset are our biggest saleable assets.

This leaves us with a squad of:

GK
Verrips
Foderingham
Eastwood

DEF
JoC ?
Lowe
Basham
Stevens
Robinson
RND
Gordon
Lopata
Seriki

MID
Fleck ?
Norwood
Guedioura
Osborn
Freeman
Ndiaye
Slater
Brunt
Broadbent
Coulibaly

FWD
Burke
Sharp
McGoldrick
Jebbison

That then requires a very big spend to rebuild.

If we don't go up, we're looking at free transfers in my opinion
To me it's an ever diminishing return if you don't get promoted straight back to the PL and you have 2 or 3 years before you become a run of the mill, happy to get in the play-offs team like we have been for too many of the years I've watched the Blades.

You are reliant on either overperformance by the players or outstanding management (or a combination of the 2) to get out of the league if you aren't operating at the highest level in terms of wage bill.

The problem this season is that we're operating at what I assume will be the top end of the Championship wage structure, but we've had poor performances and poor management, so we've done the opposite of what's needed.

Of the list you've posted above, I'd still assume we'll be in the top 5 or 6 in terms of wage bill, but unless Hecky is a miracle worker he'll be flogging a dead horse and will be limited in what he brings in.

I remember when getting out of league one was a miracle now people are turning down promotion

I think as a club we are still in a better position than 20 other teams in the league financially

We have no debt , well in comparison and have plenty of players with re-sale value

Just because ginluca whatver his name came out with an absurd comment people are only listening to that comment

What then?

Think we need to look at longevity if we did... No huge signings, but just focus on investing in the depth of the playing squad to make us Championship contenders for the next 5 years.

Work on building around the younger players we already have here (Jebbo, Berge, Lopata, Bogle, RND, Lowe (yes i think we should keep him), Brewster, Ndiaye) and plan for the future.

£40m would enable us to Purchase 2x CB's and 2x CM's - Championship/L1 prospects. Bring in Coulibaly and get 2x EPL loans to help us compete.

The rest focus on developing a Cat 1 youth academy and new training ground.

It's also worth considering what we face if we did get promoted, the strength of the PL and who the weakest teams might be, Brentford look like surviving this year, will they still have Toney or Mbeumo, can they keep repeating the trick of finding players, Fulham and Bournemouth have money behind them, but might still struggle, add in Burnley should they survive this year,

£40m would enable us to Purchase 2x younger CB's and 2x CM Championship/L1 prospects. Bring back Coulibaly and get 2x EPL loans to help us compete.
Massive potential of those types of purchases, Sunderland and Portsmouth always seem to have a production line that could be within budget

Every one is saying we would be financially better off if we went up, but in reality is this the case? Wouldn't it just be the Prince that is better off?
Surely he would have no obligation to spend any TV money on the club, he could just trouser the cash.

Every one is saying we would be financially better off if we went up, but in reality is this the case? Wouldn't it just be the Prince that is better off?
Surely he would have no obligation to spend any TV money on the club, he could just trouser the cash.
Very true but then it could turn into more than shoes off in the car park 🙈

As mentioned on another thread, we need automatic promotion form (two points per game) for the rest of the season just to make the play offs

He hasn't trousered any yet, what makes you think he might start soon?

Would Premier league money mean that we could/should invest in a Category one academy?
That would be REALLY looking positively to the future.

It is in the best interests of ANY owner in the Premier league to stay in the Premier League to carry on being GIFTED £150m each season instead of trying to raise finance and pay wages in the Championship, where it is generally proven each year that most clubs are losing money.

So what if the Prince lets say took £5m out each season and spends £145m - the money is in effect free - you don't have to do anything to get it other than get out of the Championship and into the Premier league.

The skill is staying there for the bottom 10 clubs in the Premier League like we would always be. It's about using the money wisely. I remember CW saying after we got up - we needed to spend money at the top of the pitch - for me, we got it disastrously wrong in who we initially signed and then subsequently signed. I also think (and yes hindsight is a wonderful thing) we shouldn't have played 352 but got better at 3412 (ie: keeping a no:10).

We got it wrong last time - what we need to do is get it right next time, because there will be a next time, there always is with United.

We have every chance of getting in the play offs this season - and once in that lottery of 4 team cup competition called the play offs it's then all to play for.

UTB

Go up what?
I've had three jabs in my arm, but I'm not having a prick up there!

I remember when getting out of league one was a miracle now people are turning down promotion

I think as a club we are still in a better position than 20 other teams in the league financially

We have no debt , well in comparison and have plenty of players with re-sale value

Just because ginluca whatver his name came out with an absurd comment people are only listening to that comment
Do some simple sums about how much revenue we’ll have this year and subtract the expected costs and see if you’re still of the same opinion. I’ll give you a clue, if costs are more than revenue, that’s not good.

Then have a look at the mortgage we’ve got and see if you still think we haven’t got any debt.

It is in the best interests of ANY owner in the Premier league to stay in the Premier League to carry on being GIFTED £150m each season instead of trying to raise finance and pay wages in the Championship, where it is generally proven each year that most clubs are losing money.

So what if the Prince lets say took £5m out each season and spends £145m - the money is in effect free - you don't have to do anything to get it other than get out of the Championship and into the Premier league.

The skill is staying there for the bottom 10 clubs in the Premier League like we would always be. It's about using the money wisely. I remember CW saying after we got up - we needed to spend money at the top of the pitch - for me, we got it disastrously wrong in who we initially signed and then subsequently signed. I also think (and yes hindsight is a wonderful thing) we shouldn't have played 352 but got better at 3412 (ie: keeping a no:10).

We got it wrong last time - what we need to do is get it right next time, because there will be a next time, there always is with United.

We have every chance of getting in the play offs this season - and once in that lottery of 4 team cup competition called the play offs it's then all to play for.

UTB
I agree it is the best interest of any owner to try and stay up, but if we take the Norwich route and don't spend any money and get relegated, the money is the Prince's to do as he wishes, shoes off protests or not.

One could argue that he hasn't done this yet because we haven't got any money yet.
He could have spent nothing on transfers and wages whilst in the PL and pocketed the cash himself. He’s not the best owner in terms of decision making, but he isn’t robbing the club and the time to have done so would have been the season before last.

Back
Top Bottom