CONFIRMED HSBC Sports Ground - New first team training centre

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Great news, and even better PR.

This will be the thing they tell us we got from this disastrous season.

Bet he'll mortgage it, and leave the next owner to pay for it, but it protects the asset he's selling.

Shrewd bit of business for PP this.

Great news.

How about the academy and the first teams swop facilities one day a month.

Might, just might keep a connection with the city and the fans if the first team still see real Sheffield…

Life does exist beyond the border area just down from Wild card..!

It doesn’t surprise me that HSBC would wish to sell given their hugely reduced commitment to Sheffield.

It really would surprise me if SUFC’s owner commits to this investment.

I presume the land isn’t available for housing if it’s even remotely within our means?
Yeah, the Prince is a politician after all. It might be a bit of red meat to quell the masses…A bit of good news amongst all gloom, might take the heat out of an awful situation at the moment.

It’ll be good when we see the detail around this. Hopefully whatever facilities are built are future-proofed and fit in nicely with the surroundings. Similarly, the timescale for when the move will happen is key. I am a bit sceptical given the owner wishes to sell and based on past projects like this.

It’ll be good when we see the detail around this. Hopefully whatever facilities are built are future-proofed and fit in nicely with the surroundings. Similarly, the timescale for when the move will happen is key. I am a bit sceptical given the owner wishes to sell and based on past projects like this.
I have said the same in the comments. I didn’t expect it to happen with the current owner and his stance on wanting to leave.

It does seem strange as last time there was drawings / graphics etc. 5 Years on you can normally do a virtual tour of a house that’s not built and we haven’t seen a photo.

But overall it does sound very good and promising. Just hope it comes into reality now.

Yeah, the Prince is a politician after all. It might be a bit of red meat to quell the masses…A bit of good news amongst all gloom, might take the heat out of an awful situation at the moment.
It does all seem a bit coincidental that this along side the news thay Mitchell has left by mutual consent has come about in quick succession to one another, when the heat was turning up on the owner.

He is/was beginning to get bad press by the media after they have figured out he's basically to blame for this season, and the fans have turned in their masses, with season ticket renewals around the corner. Then boom head scout has gone due to restructuring behind the scenes and a new first team training ground coupled with keeping shirecliffe to turn into cat 1 academy.

Not surprisingly, people Still managing to find fault with this news.

The timing is off.

We haven't seen any plans, we don't know if we have any planning permissions and it doesn't sound like we've actually purchased it (yet).

It has the feeling of a rushed attempt to distract from bad press.
A proper build will cost 10s of millions and he doesn't have it.
So what's his plan?

I think the news is being met with an appropriate level of scepticism.

Probably true as some good news was needed really.
I would think contact will have been made regarding planning permission. Don't think the club would be daft enough to buy land they couldn't use.
Princes team are on the ball regarding legal matters so don't for see any development problems.

The timing is off.

We haven't seen any plans, we don't know if we have any planning permissions and it doesn't sound like we've actually purchased it (yet).

So what's his plan?

Anyone can sign a contract, etc.

Apparently the Head of Commercial is moving to another club as well?

There are also big plans to transform the Meadowhead sports ground into a modern football facility with a 5000 capacity stadium for Sheffield FC. Can't help wondering whether these two projects could have been combined in some way, giving us a small stadium for the women's team and academy teams. Wonder if any discussions took place.

I'm sure the 3mtr high security fence surrounding the site will enhance the area. Folk not in the know will think it a low security prison.

The timing is off.

So what's his plan?

Or, we know we can't compete just by pumping loads of money into buying players, so we want to get them through development.

The timing is off.

So what's his plan?

The Prince was asked in an interview a while back about the training ground/Academy status and said that he hoped we’d have good news by January.
It’s took 3 years to sort this. I suspected we might have trouble with the Council and Wendies complaining but reading this thread has pinpointed how difficult it is to get things done in Sheffield.

Wrong again
I unlike most on here are very happy to be wrong.

I didn’t expect the Prince to make a long term investment when he has said himself he has short term goals.

I am over the moon this is the case.

I will admit when I am wrong (it doesn’t happen often) but in so glad to be wrong.

Equally we have been here before around 4 years ago. So let’s hope it completes or I’ll be revising my apology and expecting yours.

Edit: Also as of this moment I am not wrong. I can agree to buy something but it’s about it being finalised. 🤞 it works well.

Mixed emotions about this one. I think its a good move for United, not very good for the local community. The site was being used comprehensively for grass roots sports with a lot of football and cricket teams using it, not to mention it was being used for a lot of functions. Seems a shame for the next generation to not be able to enjoy these facilities. Instead footballers will be using it who wont even appreciate how much joy people have had from using them. The overpaid prima donnas get the best again, while its back to the quagmires and shit facilities for the rest of us peasants.

Mixed emotions about this one. I think its a good move for United, not very good for the local community. The site was being used comprehensively for grass roots sports with a lot of football and cricket teams using it, not to mention it was being used for a lot of functions. Seems a shame for the next generation to not be able to enjoy these facilities. Instead footballers will be using it who wont even appreciate how much joy people have had from using them. The overpaid prima donnas get the best again, while its back to the quagmires and shit facilities for the rest of us peasants.

Agree 100 per cent. Same with the Sheffield FC transport ground plan. I remember when the locals fought to keep that out of Tesco's hands.

If it actually happens this is good news for the club, but bad news for many other people.

SUFC have virtually annexed the facilities ant they. We will be replacing the locals with our signings next. Disgusting really, the peasants of Dore are suffering here.

Agree 100 per cent. Same with the Sheffield FC transport ground plan. I remember when the locals fought to keep that out of Tesco's hands.

If it actually happens this is good news for the club, but bad news for many other people.
It would be nice if the club put back into the community and built a quality site that could be used for grass roots sports with equally good facilities. I wont hold my breathe! In 20 years we'll wonder why our national team is so bad and we hardly have any English players playing in the top leagues.

Back
Top Bottom