United 1 Man Utd 2 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
It was an all too familiar feeling at the Lane on Saturday evening as the Blades fans trooped away after another defeat. However, this time there was at least some fight and resistance to the opposition and for the first half the original United were more than a match for their more illustrious counterparts. After trailing to a Scott McTominay goal, United got deservedly level after the same player was penalised for handball. Oli McBurnie scored his first goal of the season from the spot but after he went off injured in the 2nd half, the Blades did not offer the same threat. After a number of close scares, a long-range stunner from Diego Dalot won the game for the Red Devils and it was the eight defeat in nine games for the basement club. Despite an ever-increasing injury list and the picture looking bleak, Heckingbottom’s men will at least take some solace from a more competitive effort.

In front of the cameras and under the lights, it was an unusual 8pm kick off time on a Saturday evening but the fixture started on a sombre note after the sad loss of Manchester United and England legend Bobby Charlton earlier in the day. After the tributes had been paid by both clubs and sets of supporters, the home side began with a new 4-4-2 formation with Ahmedhodzic the latest to be out injured. Trusty and Robinson began as orthodox centre backs with Souza and Norwood (as captain) in front and McAtee an Hamer playing in wider positions. The visitors had struggled to start the season and also were struggling with players out with Martinez, Shaw, Wan Bissaka and Casemiro all unavailable.

The Blades began positively and a run from Hamer saw his shot blocked by Maguire and it fell perfectly for McBurnie but his shot lacked power and was saved by Onana. Antony had two efforts; one saved and one wide in an end-to-end contest. Souza broke up play twice and Archer was looking lively but the visitors were looking to use the pace down the flanks and Thomas/Bogle had their hands full in the opening stages.

The Blades were really giving it a good go and trying to move it forward and Archer had the first significant effort on goal that was pushed away but Norwood was off target on two set play opportunities. McAtee’s quick feet had been a feature of the opening spell but against the run of play possibly, the visitors took the lead. It was a basic one two down the right and the Blades failed to go with the runner with Hamer and Thomas ball watching and after Foderingham missed the cross it was moved back inside. Norwood allowed MCTOMINAY to control the ball and although his finish was rather shinned, it went inside the corner with the Blades keeper motionless. It was another sloppy goal to give away and an uphill task again.

United did try and respond quickly and won a corner and then were able to restore parity. It was patient build up and McAtee’s cross saw McTominay move his hand towards the ball and it seemed a clearly obvious penalty. Michael Oliver had no doubt and the VAR check confirmed this. MCBURNIE has a patchy penalty record but after the delay, he kept his cool and smashed it into the side netting via the inside of the post for an emphatic finish.

It was a really good contest and both teams were having a go with several meaty tackles rightly not penalised as referee Oliver was helping the game flow with a good performance. However, after the efforts from the Blades they started to sit back in the lead up to half time. A number of unnecessary fouls culminated in a Norwood offence that saw Fernandes hit a fantastic striker that clipped the bar and went behind. A further chance came soon after as the offside trap failed and Hojlund was in on goal and Foderingham did well to smother. The Blades had played really well but the flurry of late chances meant they were glad of the half time whistle.

After the break, the forward thrust returned temporarily for the home side and after a few had an opportunity to striker it, Norwood took it on and Onana tipped it over. McBurnie was deemed not for enough to continue which was a big blow as the striker had been a real plus. Brewster took his place and nearly had an immediate impact as he turned and hit a swerving shot that Onana made a bit of a mess of and his fumble nearly saw McAtee in on the rebound but ex favourite Maguire eased him off as replays showed he took a big risk in the challenge.

After this early promise, Man Utd started to take control and with the lack of hold up play near the top of the field, the Blades were retreating more and more. The possession was now all with the away side and they started to push the home side back. However, the first real chance came when Foderingham’s pass out saw Trusty turn his back but Hojlund could not finish. Soon after this sloppy play from Thomas saw the ball moved across and Rashford dragged his shot inches wide as the crowd held their breath. Hamer had a rare break but was well over as the theme of the Blades sitting back, after previously having a go seemed to continue. Martial, Garnacho and Eriksen all came on and the latter nearly set up a chance for Rashford before a fantastic effort from Amrabat bounced off the corner of post and bar. The ball came back to him and he drilled narrowly wide. It was now one way traffic and it seemed inevitable that a goal may come and so it proved.

It came from an unlikely source as the ball was moved across and DALOT let fly and his shot maybe surprised Foderingham who got a hand to it but might be a bit disappointed as the shot albeit powerful went in off his hands. The Blades made changes with Osborn and Traore on for McAtee and Hamer but they could not really fashion even an attack of note and Man Utd looked more likely to score again with Garnacho missing a golden chance as they broke through a tired Blades side. There was a very conservative 5 minutes of stoppage time played but in truth, the home side’s race had been done a long time ago and they never really looked like getting a late leveller as the visitors deservedly took the spoils.

---

United – It was better. It had to be after some awful performances and results. Many of us said before the game that we just wanted us to compete, try and get in their faces and make it a match and not get walked through. For the first half we did that brilliantly. We played up tempo football, got stuck in and did go forward. We had shots, won corners and were not timid. It was everything we kind of wanted even with a limited side out and much changed personnel and formation again. We had a few chances and with Souza getting stuck in, McAtee getting more involved than he has since he returned and Archer finally showing some life; it looked so much better. Man Utd had chances too and it was even but it was annoying we conceded a stupid goal. So many times we could have got tighter to men (the one two); Wes needs to get the cross and then the ball back is not stopped. Norwood has to do better on the goal too and just lets him control it and shin it in. We responded really well and got the goal and I felt were right in it. I was really pleased with most of the team (two full backs looked susceptible all game mind) and just felt we saw some life in a side that looked beat before a ball was kicked in the last run of games. The formation maybe helped as meant we had more players who could go forward from midfield and the team seemed more compact too. I did think for 5-10 mins before half time we started to sit back and maybe tired (more on that later) and we gave away cheap free kicks and they easily could have scored from a few chances (hit bar/Wes save).

I hoped 2nd half we would find a second wind and we did ok for 5 minutes with the Norwood shot and then Brewster having the effort saved. However, McBurnie going off was the big turning point. We had no focal point and after the shot, I felt Brewster was not really in it at all and Archer dropped off hugely second half. The midfield dropped off and conceded territory and possession and slowly a very poor Man Utd side started to dominate. It was frustrating as I felt they were there for the taking and our best form of defence was attack but suppose with the big man going off, we had to play it to feet and a tired side was struggling to get hold of it. As much as Man Utd (and every other team almost) have better players whose touch is so much better (the number that pinged off ours was noticeable 2nd half) and can move it so much better, the lack of stamina and fitness has been really telling this season. Last time at this level we never got outrun or outfought really in that first season but this time out we look completely gassed after an hour. Today it was more like 35 minutes and for the last hour we just were chasing them and barely put more than 2 or 3 passes together after that little flurry after half time. We just sat back and invited pressure as the players resorted to cheap fouls or everything being at full stretch. I did not think Man Utd had tons of threats and were not peppering Wes’ goal but on reflection it was only poor finishing or bit of luck (Three one on ones missed and the two that hit the bar) that stopped it being more comfortable in terms of scoreline.

The goal was coming and in the end it was a bit of quality we do not have really. After this the subs we made summed up the difference. They bring on subs with international pedigree and quality and we bring on Osborn and Traore. I do think we maybe should have made changes before the goal but I would have put on Slimane to give us more physicality and legs (for Archer) and just shored up the midfield. Easy to say in hindsight. The plan seemed to be just to hold out for a 1-1. That is fine but not sure there was a real clear plan how to do it as we were not keeping the ball or even moving it into their half to kill periods of time and give the defence a break. I felt sorry for Robinson and Trusty who both did well but the full backs were poor on and off the ball. Souza had his best game for a while and Norwood did ok in general play but Hamer/McAtee tired badly. The whole side just seemed done by the hour and as I say with the lack of options off the bench due to appalling recruitment (no physical/experienced striker if (when) McBurnie gets injured is amateur-ish combined with the wretched injury list meant we had kids and mini men to come on. Sadly, Man Utd were always going to get a winner.

I was annoyed after as I felt we could have got a draw or even won it. Man Utd are as poor as they have ever been and also were missing some key men. We really had a chance to get something but the lack of fitness/player options allied to a poor mentality 2nd half where we stopped trying to attack (maybe the fatigue simply led to that – mental and physical?) meant there was only going to be one winner. It was a plucky defeat but in the end, a defeat it was and all the cliches about us doing better is fine but Man Utd are a mid-table side and at some point we have to try and attack sides (more consistently) to give ourselves a chance to get points (a point!).

I think the players sadly know we are just not good enough and it is like after all the effort they put in first half they become resigned to the fact they cannot keep it going. Eight defeats in nine and we are squarely in the camp of looking at being one of the worst Premier League sides ever. This seems daft as they probably has been loads worse but the standard has just risen so much. We really have a very good chance of being statistically the worst side and I think as it stands we probably look likely to get it. We have one point and are now a quarter of the way through the season. So, as it stands we would get 4! It’s a sorry situation and we face the possibility of becoming a laughing stock and always remembered for the wrong reasons. Sadly, not sure what the answer is. We have changed the tactics and will probably persist with this as we have no choice with all the centre backs out but we are playing who is available. With Anel and McBurnie maybe out now too, it is getting to the point where we are running out of players. The whole preparation/injury/conditioning/fitness record is now beyond a worry. That whole department really needs changing as harsh as it sounds but we need to try something different in terms of how we train/prepare them. The last 3 years is beyond bad luck and we need to overhaul this department. Last year it was the pitch at Shirecliffe but now we have changed that so what is it now?

I do not see the bad run ending anytime soon. A defeat is almost certain next week and then everyone talks about Bournemouth and Wolves as being games we might get something. Having watched those sides, they are not great but both are a lot better than us so I do not see us getting much in these games either? So, we play who we have available and have changed formation (and personnel) so the only other thing you can change is the manager. We will see if that happens but it probably is more than a possibility if he does not get a result in the next 2 or 3. I get that even though I am not sure it changes much.

Ideally the owner changes, we get investment and can try and sign better players but by January that ship will have sailed (be as good as down probably) and now he will not sell us as the price is plummeting every defeat. I said at the start of the season he would not be able to give us away in 12 months and sadly this is coming to fruition.

Despite a better effort and the players probably doing as well as they could yesterday we still lost and it is horrible knowing your club will and does lose every single week currently.

Ratings:

Foderingham 6/10 – I considered marking him lower and many will say why so hear me out! I thought he made two very good saves – including the one on one near the end of the first half and the long ranger but I also thought he had a role in both goals too. The first he comes for a cross and gets nowhere near it and they then send it back and score. He does not move on this or on a number of other shots (ones off the bar). Maybe he would not get any of them but did not even dive on at least 3 or 4 shots? The second goal I know I am going to get pelters for this but I think he should do better. Great shot but not right in the corner or top of the net and he gets there and sort of tips it is? Maybe as a former keeper I am being harsh as I normally am but both Sky/BBC questioned if he could have done better. Also had that stupid kick out that nearly saw them score when Trusty was not even looking. He has been great this season and our best player but not sure he was that great yesterday for reasons I have given.

Bogle 5.5/10 – Did some ok bits and not sure he was awful but he just looks a shadow of the player he was a few years ago – even when we were at this level, he had energy, would run forward and show some good skills getting past players. Now, albeit in a more orthodox full back role today, he just does not look the same? He lacks the aggression, enthusiasm and technical play he showed before he had those injuries. Just looks a mid table Champ player at best who is having to play as Baldock is out. I felt Rashford was poor today but not due to him really holding him up – it was more due to him not really looking that interested. He left too much room for opponents and does not get tight enough (first goal – the cross back as evidence). Offers nothing going forward anymore (did not as a wing back this season either).

Thomas 4/10 – Our poorest outfield player in my opinion and looks a waste of a loan to me. Not been impressed with him at all after a decent debut v Everton. Does not stop his winger, gives it away cheaply, slow to react to situations and offers nothing going forward. Looks what he is, a Championship reserve. The opening goal is a simple one two and he loses his man but lost Antony on a few other occasions too. 2nd half twice he put them in (Rashford chance was due to him) with poor touches and passes and I lost count the number of times he just gave it to them. The cross at the end on the only time he got forward 2nd half summed it up as he punted it miles out (something he does routinely). Larouci was poor but we somehow have found someone even worse! Would send him back in January as if we are going down then we need to build for next season and he is not someone going to be part of our future.

Robinson 8/10 – Our best outfield player. Got stuck in, won tackles and led the back line well. He was committed but also played intelligently too as he read the game and made several tackles and interceptions. Those saying he needing taking out really need to look at 8 or 9 other players as he has been our best player outside of Wes this season and only one who has played consistently decent to well. Felt sorry for him today in the 2nd half as the player around him (Trusty apart) just kept giving it away or did not show the same level of running/desire to stop them coming through. Him and McBurnie have been maybe the only outfield two to show that physically they can compete with their respective opponents. Rest have looked like kids in men’s football most weeks. His desire has been one of few positives this season.

Trusty 7/10 – Thought he did ok and made some good tackles/blocks. He and Robinson (along with Souza and McBurnie) the main bright spots today individually. He is limited on the ball but can make good recovery runs and tackles and can get around the field. He is decent in the air and athletically gives us something that many lack in terms of height/pace. He did what he had to but towards the end they got through a few times but felt that was more about lack of protection. One bit where he turned his back as Wes kicked out (probably much more on Wes) apart, not sure he made any glaring errors. Will have to play now and stay fit as we have no centre backs left!

Norwood 6/10 – I have seen wildly conflicting opinions on his game. Some have said he was atrocious. Others have said he was very good. I was more towards the former post-game but on reflection I am probably somewhere in the middle. He did a lot of great work off the ball and on it he helped set the tempo the opening half hour. He was getting his foot in and we won midfield for a longer period than we have all season! He continued to help shield the defence and a lot of their efforts were long range but after the break he struggled to keep this going. He also has to look at his effort on the first goal. Twice he should have got tighter to his man who brought it down and scored as he was wrong side of McTominay. He then gave away a stupid free kick which could have cost us and they hit the bar. After the break he gave it away cheaply again on a few other occasions. His set plays were absolutely dreadful. Free kicks/corners never got over the first man all game. I can only assume as we had a relatively small team, the plan was for flat driven ones? However, they were awful and why he did not let Hamer or McAtee take some I do not know? For his part on the goal and these set plays, not sure I can say he was superb or more than 6/10 even if he did do a lot of good things.

Sousa 7/10 – I have been one of his harshest critics but today he did quite well for long spells and one of our better players. He does switch off and lose runners at times and also offers next to nothing when asked to pass forward but he did lots of things we brought him here for – namely winning tackles/breaking play up. He was much more involved than he has been in other games where he has not really been a factor. Got in amongst the play and got his foot in. Like with others his play and energy dropped off after the break and then lazy tackles came in or player ran off him. Another that seems done after an hour – a major issue – maybe as we cannot keep the ball and are chasing it looking at the possession stats every week?

McAtee 6.5/10 – Started the game really well first half and thought he was one of our main attacking threats. He got on it and showed neat control and dribbling. Looked to carry us forward and turn them round. Some great first touches and maybe the only player (McBurnie the other) that rivalled them in ability to kill a ball first time and come out of tight spots. He helped win the penalty and had a few other runs too. Thought he was like the McAtee of old. Maybe he could have switched with Hamer second half when nothing was happening as he did have success coming in from the left last season? However, he too tired badly after the break and we saw little of him as we just sat back and defended and reverted to type of most of the season of booting it away instead of trying to get him on it and carrying it up the field. Came off as he was done for.

Hamer 5.5/10 – After his impressive debut and two superb goals in away game in the first part of the season; he has not really pushed on. He shows a few neat touches and first half he had one shot and another decent run. Clearly decent technically but games sort of pass him by and defensively he switches off. Not sure he is a wide man but needs must with what we have and he and Thomas switched off on the first goal build up. After the break we needed everyone to dig in and win the loose balls and make it hard but he was another that wilted badly and just looked exhausted. Carrying too much weight for me (maybe that is just his build) and another who is not fit/mobile enough for this league – if he has constantly on the ball/creating then this cannot compensate for these flaws but he has been largely anonymous since that goal at Spurs.

McBurnie 7.5/10 – Excellent to start the game with his hold up play, intelligent link and his combo play with Archer. Really intelligent player and he was able to ensure we stayed in their last third for periods as we were right in the contest. Maybe could have done a bit better with the early shot but he then took his penalty really well; especially as he has missed 2/4 is it so far for us? It was a superb penalty that was unsavable. After this continued to work hard but when he went off our threat and ability to keep it up the field completely disappeared. The fact we have no viable alternative as a hold up is criminal really – especially considering his poor injury record. If he is out for a few weeks what then – Traore or Brewster with Archer? That will mean the ball will literally never stay up the field.

Archer 6/10 -First half he was more like a 7.5-8/10 and was a nuisance running off the ball, getting on it and dribbling at them. Looked a threat and had one good shot and him and McBurnie linked the best they had since Everton away. They caused Evans and Maguire problems and looked full of energy and running. He gave it away cheaply near the end of the first half and this led to a chance for them and this set the tone for the 2nd half. After the break he regressed badly. Granted the team sat back and did not attack as much but the number of times he tossed it away was infuriating. I think at Fulham it was him who twice he surrended possession in the lead up the goals and he did this again. Another who just stopped running and I felt needed to be taken off as they were just coming out with no pressure. Least we saw more of him but another who cannot last 90 mins in a high intensity league due to lack of stamina.

Subs –

Brewster 5/10 – May seem harsh but he had that one turn and decent shot but after that he was never in the game and barely touched it. Granted we had little service and were defending but felt he and Archer had to work harder to press/challenge and help the ball stay in their third when it came forward. It was easy for them to come out with no challenge/pressure. Needs to be a nuisance factor at least. Granted just coming back from injury but another he looks miles off the standard at this level as he did last time he played here.

Osborn – Came on after we conceded but we needed creativity or someone who could get forward at this point. He lost it twice in 50-50’s and they broke and nearly scored from one. Would not be near even a bench at any other Premier League club (even Luton) where physicality and athleticism is the blue print of many sides’ success.

Traore – Won one free kick but with limited time he struggled to make an impact. I have seen a lot say he is a development player and maybe in a lower league next season he can show more but at the moment he looks a really poor signing generally (not on today). Weak, small and technically not that great from what I have seen. We need experienced strikers who can hold it up, flick it on and bring others into play. He seems like a headless chicken and lacks awareness.

Manager: Heckingbottom 6/10 – He got a response and a together and committed side first half that was patched up. Again. The change of formation worked for 35 minutes and we were well in the game and had chances but after the break we sat back and the McBurnie injury killed us. There was only one winner after that. Seen a lot slating his changes but we were already behind then. He only had Traore as another striking option (as limited as he is) and other than maybe Slimane, what else could he do with options available? Maybe he bring Slimane on for Archer as I said before we go behind as it was coming but those criticising McAtee and Hamer being withdrawn, need to realise they were knackered. They could not run anymore. Sadly, the lads to come on are nowhere near this level. I am not sure his team selections/subs are really the reason we have one point (you can argue/pick holes in this). Nor does the formation changing really change it that much even though we did ok for spells yesterday. I can understand the tactics debate as without McBurnie we have no idea how to hold the ball up the field but bigger concern (cannot do much about quality of players being inferior and got what he could with limited funds) is the fitness (in game) and injury/conditioning situation. That is a massive worry that is getting worse.

I think it is fair to say that any other manager at this stage probably gets sacked but we all know the hand Hecky was dealt and that coupled the job he has done over the last two seasons means he remains. For now. I have said I would not sack him as not sure it changes things but do get the argument that we cannot keep losing every week and not change the one thing we can change (at least short term). The problem is the change then is very short term – hoping we win a few games and become more competitive but almost certainly still go down? So then next season what do we do, bring another manager in (bring the steady Hecky type back?!). I am honest to admit that if we lost at Arsenal and then at home to Wolves, that they probably would sack him despite Bettis saying they wouldn’t. Losing 10 of 11 games and his position would be untenable probably even though it is his not his fault in many ways. However, any change for me would be as much about him overseeing this laughable injury record. I hope he can get a result or two and turn it around as he is a good guy and feel he has been thrown under the bus as I say but I also know that we cannot keep losing without changing something. I think it will be interesting if the manager is changed as I expect similar results and performances but understand that alone is not a reason not to consider changing it.

Man Utd – I thought they were poor. They had a few defenders out but they were a side for the taking I felt and I believe nearly every other side in the league might have beaten them yesterday. I thought even their man men like Rashford and Fernandes looked rather disinterested. We started well but could not get the first goal but then we did bounce back but after this let them off the hook. I am not sure they were simply too good for us either? Yes they have better players and did move up the field more 2nd half but I felt we could have had chances or got at them if we had attacked them but we played into their hands after the break and sat off. They then missed lots of good chances. In the end they were not great but still did what they had to in terms of winning and probably should have won by a few more goals. Not sure they zipped it about particularly well or were looking a superb footballing team. It was quite slow build up and most of their efforts (save the Rashford chance and the late one from the sub) were long range efforts but will say the bar saved us twice. They will not finish much higher than they are in my opinion. They lack quality and experience all over the field and do not have a reliable goalkeeper or goal scorer. They are a long way off their City rivals and like with us ned major investment to be competitive (in terms of competing for the top place/s). They have wasted a lot of money on dross and the team just looks an odd one with some players on the way out seemingly (age wise and just not done it for a while) – in Eriksen, Evans, Maguire, Martial etc mixed with some foreign talent that is really hit and miss. They are not very exciting to watch at all and as I say I compare them to a Brighton or even a Villa and those two probably have better sides/squads as weird as that is to type.

Still, they won the game and did what they had to. It frustrated the hell out of me as that Wilder side (no this is not a call for him to come back) from 4 years ago would have spanked them last night in my opinion. They looked soft touch that has some quality of course (the 2nd goal a great strike and had other superb efforts from range) but can be got at and put under pressure quite easily. I felt we let them off the hook but maybe that is because we could not put pressure on them 2nd half as had run our race physically?

Opponent Man of the Match – Did anyone really stand out? Maguire got man of the match and did ok in terms of dealing with what he had to. Lindelof did well in a strange position against a tricky player in McAtee but a number of others flattered to deceive. Suppose McTominay was busy and the match winner Dalot hits an incredible strike.

Opponent Weak link – As above. Felt Rashford was not really at it when he could have had Bogle on toast – Same for Antony on the other side. Fernandes I feel is hugely overrated and last night the game seemed to pass him by save for the free kick. The striker Hojlund looks a bit of a bust. Seemed quite slow and not up the pace of this level?

Referee/Officials – Michael Oliver. Thought he was excellent and after I have criticised officials a lot this season, thought he had a really good game. Was like an old-fashioned game with lots of tackles and challenges but he got most right in terms of deciding which were offences. All our bookings (Trusty – stupid stopping the throw and Thomas/Souza – clear fouls as they broke) were right as was Evans on Archer. He got the handball for the penalty right. I realise I might be in the minority on the 2nd one as I have seen a lot say it was a nailed-on penalty but I am not convinced – I get the ‘it’s a foul anywhere else on the pitch’ but sadly rightly or wrongly the benchmark for a penalty is normally for a much clearer foul – always has been – know the rules do not say that. McAtee was eased off it and it was a push but I felt needed to be a bit stronger but know I might be on my own. If it had been given it would not have been overturned but no way are they giving two penalties against Man Utd in one game. I am not certain it was as stonewall as some have made out. Thought it was a 50-50 one but can see why he did not see it as enough as I say if it was the other way given think we would have gone mad. I do think Oliver was really good though the rest of the game talking away this decision (which can see the argument both ways). He just let things flow and did not make it about him. The only grievance is I think there maybe should have been 2 or 3 mins at the end for all out timewasting (+ all the subs/few stoppages) but not sure it would have mattered as we did not look like scoring.

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – Crackling atmosphere around the Lane before and during the game. Especially the first half. Maybe as people had all day to drink it added to the noise but despite the awful support I thought the crowd were excellent and it was loud to begin with. Felt like the old days in terms of an end-to-end game with both fans getting behind their team and a ref allowing physical stuff to go. Second half it dropped of (people sobering up?!) as the crowd saw we could not keep the intensity going and we sat back and we realised we had nothing more to give.

Thought the support though was really good yesterday though and I felt the fans were up for it but you worry that this will sap away gradually as the defeats continue every weekend. The morale of the club; coaches, players and fans will be rock bottom (if it not already) if we come out of those two home games next month and fail to register a win. Just have to hope somehow we find something from somewhere but cannot see it as negative as that sounds. Even with our strongest side we were the worst team in the league so now with that dwindling we are just simply overmatched at this level in every sense. Worry is after Arsenal if we go behind to Wolves will there be factions who will turn on the manager and it have that horrible infighting we often see before a managerial change?

Regarding the maquire foul penalty. Can we ask to listen to the VAR comments on it as it clearly was a push so a clear referees error, and a clear VAR error to not give it in laws of the game... replay?
What will they have said I wonder , a push but not a big enough push in the laws that apply to the so called big 6..

Good report. Inclined to agree with you on Wes and Hamer. Thank you.

Can't really disagree with any of that. A bit harsh on Traore and definitely generous towards Wes for me.

Regarding the maquire foul penalty. Can we ask to listen to the VAR comments on it as it clearly was a push so a clear referees error, and a clear VAR error to not give it in laws of the game... replay?
What will they have said I wonder , a push but not a big enough push in the laws that apply to the so called big 6..
The commentator said that it was a clear push, but after McAtee had won the header, so didn't count! This confirms my belief that they don't know what they are talking about/the rules are different for megastore clubs. It was a definite push. It was in the penalty area.

Cheers Deadbat. Contrasting halves and Oli McB being subbed was a turning point. Much as I hate the 8pm Saturday kick off, it was clear a semi inebriated crowd did generate some atmosphere. When the late arrivals piled in it ramped up the atmosphere somewhat on the Kop.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned by more people about there being no replacement for McBurnie. It really is criminal that no one was signed, when you take into account his injury and suspension record over the past couple of seasons.

Totally agree. The 20 million spent on Archer and Traore a complete waste of time. Throw in 20 million on Brewster and we have spent 40 million on 3 players who are miles off the physicality/ability for this league.

We needed players who can keep the ball at the top of the field and help take the pressure off the defence.

If McBurnie is out for a while then god help us...see Newcastle game when he was suspended.

We got desire effort and change of formation for 50 minutes although the formation was by accident rather than design. It fell off a cliff when Mcb went off. Played well for just over half a game but reverted to type as the usual tactical ineptitude and lack of conditioning took over.

Slimane 6 foot 2 and capable of playing as an AM was an option for me to replace Mcb. His added height would have helped and it would have shored up the middle. Don't understand why he doesn't register on PH's radar despite 40 caps for his country. Agree Mcatee and Archer were shot but Brewster and Traore earlier at 1-1 would have been more like for like options.

If you're going to bring Osborn on despite the fact he has been out for 6 weeks and trained for only a few days it has to be at full back for the inept Thomas. Never in a million years is a half fit Osborn capable of playing in the middle. We never make proactive substitutions only doing so when we are losing. I'm afraid these are part of the increasing number of reasons stacking up against the managers continuing capability to manage at an EPL level.

The injury farce goes without saying. PH brought in Little and during the length of his tenure our injury record has been way above the average. The training methods and Littles position have to be called into question but there is no sign of that happening. The manager hasn't been helped by the Board and rumours are now surfacing of players being in dispute with the Club about their post injury recovery treatment. Its a complete shambles and we face the prospect in the next few weeks of having U21 players start games. Its beyond a laughing stock now bordering on incompetence and negligence as we continue to drift towards the worst EPL team of all time.

There was an improvement from the last 3 games but Man U were poor and a fit SUFC capable of lasting 90 minutes would have beaten them imo. Enjoyed watching Trusty. Despite playing out of position he did well begging the question why wasn't he in earlier. Norwood continues to frustrate. Decent first half but invisible second. PH really needs to pull rank on him over set pieces. We have 2 specialists in Hamer and Mcatee summed up by Hamers excellent whipped corner second half immediately followed by Norwoods that was kicked out for a throw in.

The proverb there is none so blind as those who chose not to see is very apt in our current predicament.

We haven’t won a competitive game for 166 days (5 1/2 months, will be 6 months after Arsenal) - last victory being 8 May away at Birmingham.
The players & management have forgotten how to win, what’s needed & how it feels.

Bleak times.

We needed players who can keep the ball at the top of the field and help take the pressure off the defence.

Yep. We also needed players capable of defending high up the pitch, to replace that aspect of Iliman and Berge’s game.

There’s no way we concede last night’s second goal, in the same manner, this time last season. Lindelof carried the ball, unchallenged, half the length of the pitch, through exactly the territory where he’d have been harried by Ndiaye or Berge’s high press.

Really spot on with most comments there Deadbat.
Particularly about Wes, very noticeably immobile on many ccasions, didn't move much at all and stood like a statue with balls crashing right left and centre onto the bar every five minutes. Piss poor in fluffing the cross prior to the first goal.
'But despite the awful support I thought the crowd were excellent. '
Que..?...

We haven’t won a competitive game for 166 days (5 1/2 months, will be 6 months after Arsenal) - last victory being 8 May away at Birmingham.
The players & management have forgotten how to win, what’s needed & how it feels.

Bleak times.
Couldn't even beat fucking Lincoln in the League Cup.

Yep. We also needed players capable of defending high up the pitch, to replace that aspect of Iliman and Berge’s game.

There’s no way we concede last night’s second goal, in the same manner, this time last season. Lindelof carried the ball, unchallenged, half the length of the pitch, through exactly the territory where he’d have been harried by Ndiaye or Berge’s high press.

Exactly. So our strikers biggest job with little ball or chances is to either keep it or hassle/press defenders. Archer , Brewster and Traore don't do any of this. So not sure why we would play them? Be better having an extra body in midfield.

Really spot on with most comments there Deadbat.
Particularly about Wes, very noticeably immobile on many ccasions, didn't move much at all and stood like a statue with balls crashing right left and centre onto the bar every five minutes. Piss poor in fluffing the cross prior to the first goal.
'But despite the awful support I thought the crowd were excellent. '
Que..?...
Not sure what happened there. Meant awful results!

Bleak times.

Last time took 18 games to record our first win against Newcastle.

We will be up to 10 next week.

6 months without a win is staggering really.

Only us, SWFC and Bournemouth without a victory as Cheltenham won yesterday.

Wednesday are garbage but got Plymouth and Rotherham, two fellow strugglers so reckon they might get one this week.

Bournemouth got Burnley at home next week.

So good chance we might be the only winless team left this time next week?

Good report as ever Deaders, although Bogle and Thomas would be a 4 apiece for me. Their defending was terrible and going forward, after a decent start they both ended up knackered both physically and mentally.

I would say, despite the cost of the players, that was one of the worst Manchester United teams I've seen in a long time. You see the highlights on TV and they look world beaters, seeing them live for 90 minutes and they're nothing special at all. Rashford being the standout and if he packed in trying to referee it, he'd be real quality, as opposed to coming off like a spoiled kid.

One thing did stand out though and that was the difference between Norwood and Ericsson when he came on. Norwood's our playmaker, making himself available and keeping the play moving with a range of passes. He gets pressed and he falls apart. Ericsson kept it simple, did it all at his own pace and was a world apart from our man. He called them down and changed the game, oh well, we brought Osborn on 😭😭😭

Re: Foderingham. He was well positioned on that shot, instead a flying tip over, he attempted to parry with 2 hands, and that was a clear error for me.
Did one or two tidy saves. He’s a decent goalkeeper for on the whole, as someone who is basically a squad player.
Here’s my problem, he has retreated on to his line and does nothing to affect the danger going around him.
He’s obviously not communicating with our defence, because when he does come, our centre half’s aren’t aware of it.
On the plus side the back 4 is a big improvement on what we have been watching. Jack Robinson was excellent.
A thoroughly enjoyable game, and we were the best side in the first 30 minutes.
There is a glimmer of hope

Re: Foderingham. He was well positioned on that shot, instead a flying tip over, he attempted to parry with 2 hands, and that was a clear error for me.
Did one or two tidy saves. He’s a decent goalkeeper for on the whole, as someone who is basically a squad player.
Here’s my problem, he has retreated on to his line and does nothing to affect the danger going around him.
He’s obviously not communicating with our defence, because when he does come, our centre half’s aren’t aware of it.
On the plus side the back 4 is a big improvement on what we have been watching. Jack Robinson was excellent.
A thoroughly enjoyable game, and we were the best side in the first 30 minutes.
There is a glimmer of hope
If Foderingham isn't injured i would be surprised. He is currently the worst goalie in the Prem. No presence, awful distribution and at fault for all three goals at Fulham (i was there, very indecisive ) and both last night. Having said that he is far from the biggest problem at the club and for a free transfer he's done well since replacing Olsen. Sadly just like no physical replacement for McBurnie it shows we are nowhere near a Premier league set up.

It was an all too familiar feeling at the Lane on Saturday evening as the Blades fans trooped away after another defeat. However, this time there was at least some fight and resistance to the opposition and for the first half the original United were more than a match for their more illustrious counterparts. After trailing to a Scott McTominay goal, United got deservedly level after the same player was penalised for handball. Oli McBurnie scored his first goal of the season from the spot but after he went off injured in the 2nd half, the Blades did not offer the same threat. After a number of close scares, a long-range stunner from Diego Dalot won the game for the Red Devils and it was the eight defeat in nine games for the basement club. Despite an ever-increasing injury list and the picture looking bleak, Heckingbottom’s men will at least take some solace from a more competitive effort.

In front of the cameras and under the lights, it was an unusual 8pm kick off time on a Saturday evening but the fixture started on a sombre note after the sad loss of Manchester United and England legend Bobby Charlton earlier in the day. After the tributes had been paid by both clubs and sets of supporters, the home side began with a new 4-4-2 formation with Ahmedhodzic the latest to be out injured. Trusty and Robinson began as orthodox centre backs with Souza and Norwood (as captain) in front and McAtee an Hamer playing in wider positions. The visitors had struggled to start the season and also were struggling with players out with Martinez, Shaw, Wan Bissaka and Casemiro all unavailable.

The Blades began positively and a run from Hamer saw his shot blocked by Maguire and it fell perfectly for McBurnie but his shot lacked power and was saved by Onana. Antony had two efforts; one saved and one wide in an end-to-end contest. Souza broke up play twice and Archer was looking lively but the visitors were looking to use the pace down the flanks and Thomas/Bogle had their hands full in the opening stages.

The Blades were really giving it a good go and trying to move it forward and Archer had the first significant effort on goal that was pushed away but Norwood was off target on two set play opportunities. McAtee’s quick feet had been a feature of the opening spell but against the run of play possibly, the visitors took the lead. It was a basic one two down the right and the Blades failed to go with the runner with Hamer and Thomas ball watching and after Foderingham missed the cross it was moved back inside. Norwood allowed MCTOMINAY to control the ball and although his finish was rather shinned, it went inside the corner with the Blades keeper motionless. It was another sloppy goal to give away and an uphill task again.

United did try and respond quickly and won a corner and then were able to restore parity. It was patient build up and McAtee’s cross saw McTominay move his hand towards the ball and it seemed a clearly obvious penalty. Michael Oliver had no doubt and the VAR check confirmed this. MCBURNIE has a patchy penalty record but after the delay, he kept his cool and smashed it into the side netting via the inside of the post for an emphatic finish.

It was a really good contest and both teams were having a go with several meaty tackles rightly not penalised as referee Oliver was helping the game flow with a good performance. However, after the efforts from the Blades they started to sit back in the lead up to half time. A number of unnecessary fouls culminated in a Norwood offence that saw Fernandes hit a fantastic striker that clipped the bar and went behind. A further chance came soon after as the offside trap failed and Hojlund was in on goal and Foderingham did well to smother. The Blades had played really well but the flurry of late chances meant they were glad of the half time whistle.

After the break, the forward thrust returned temporarily for the home side and after a few had an opportunity to striker it, Norwood took it on and Onana tipped it over. McBurnie was deemed not for enough to continue which was a big blow as the striker had been a real plus. Brewster took his place and nearly had an immediate impact as he turned and hit a swerving shot that Onana made a bit of a mess of and his fumble nearly saw McAtee in on the rebound but ex favourite Maguire eased him off as replays showed he took a big risk in the challenge.

After this early promise, Man Utd started to take control and with the lack of hold up play near the top of the field, the Blades were retreating more and more. The possession was now all with the away side and they started to push the home side back. However, the first real chance came when Foderingham’s pass out saw Trusty turn his back but Hojlund could not finish. Soon after this sloppy play from Thomas saw the ball moved across and Rashford dragged his shot inches wide as the crowd held their breath. Hamer had a rare break but was well over as the theme of the Blades sitting back, after previously having a go seemed to continue. Martial, Garnacho and Eriksen all came on and the latter nearly set up a chance for Rashford before a fantastic effort from Amrabat bounced off the corner of post and bar. The ball came back to him and he drilled narrowly wide. It was now one way traffic and it seemed inevitable that a goal may come and so it proved.

It came from an unlikely source as the ball was moved across and DALOT let fly and his shot maybe surprised Foderingham who got a hand to it but might be a bit disappointed as the shot albeit powerful went in off his hands. The Blades made changes with Osborn and Traore on for McAtee and Hamer but they could not really fashion even an attack of note and Man Utd looked more likely to score again with Garnacho missing a golden chance as they broke through a tired Blades side. There was a very conservative 5 minutes of stoppage time played but in truth, the home side’s race had been done a long time ago and they never really looked like getting a late leveller as the visitors deservedly took the spoils.

---

United – It was better. It had to be after some awful performances and results. Many of us said before the game that we just wanted us to compete, try and get in their faces and make it a match and not get walked through. For the first half we did that brilliantly. We played up tempo football, got stuck in and did go forward. We had shots, won corners and were not timid. It was everything we kind of wanted even with a limited side out and much changed personnel and formation again. We had a few chances and with Souza getting stuck in, McAtee getting more involved than he has since he returned and Archer finally showing some life; it looked so much better. Man Utd had chances too and it was even but it was annoying we conceded a stupid goal. So many times we could have got tighter to men (the one two); Wes needs to get the cross and then the ball back is not stopped. Norwood has to do better on the goal too and just lets him control it and shin it in. We responded really well and got the goal and I felt were right in it. I was really pleased with most of the team (two full backs looked susceptible all game mind) and just felt we saw some life in a side that looked beat before a ball was kicked in the last run of games. The formation maybe helped as meant we had more players who could go forward from midfield and the team seemed more compact too. I did think for 5-10 mins before half time we started to sit back and maybe tired (more on that later) and we gave away cheap free kicks and they easily could have scored from a few chances (hit bar/Wes save).

I hoped 2nd half we would find a second wind and we did ok for 5 minutes with the Norwood shot and then Brewster having the effort saved. However, McBurnie going off was the big turning point. We had no focal point and after the shot, I felt Brewster was not really in it at all and Archer dropped off hugely second half. The midfield dropped off and conceded territory and possession and slowly a very poor Man Utd side started to dominate. It was frustrating as I felt they were there for the taking and our best form of defence was attack but suppose with the big man going off, we had to play it to feet and a tired side was struggling to get hold of it. As much as Man Utd (and every other team almost) have better players whose touch is so much better (the number that pinged off ours was noticeable 2nd half) and can move it so much better, the lack of stamina and fitness has been really telling this season. Last time at this level we never got outrun or outfought really in that first season but this time out we look completely gassed after an hour. Today it was more like 35 minutes and for the last hour we just were chasing them and barely put more than 2 or 3 passes together after that little flurry after half time. We just sat back and invited pressure as the players resorted to cheap fouls or everything being at full stretch. I did not think Man Utd had tons of threats and were not peppering Wes’ goal but on reflection it was only poor finishing or bit of luck (Three one on ones missed and the two that hit the bar) that stopped it being more comfortable in terms of scoreline.

The goal was coming and in the end it was a bit of quality we do not have really. After this the subs we made summed up the difference. They bring on subs with international pedigree and quality and we bring on Osborn and Traore. I do think we maybe should have made changes before the goal but I would have put on Slimane to give us more physicality and legs (for Archer) and just shored up the midfield. Easy to say in hindsight. The plan seemed to be just to hold out for a 1-1. That is fine but not sure there was a real clear plan how to do it as we were not keeping the ball or even moving it into their half to kill periods of time and give the defence a break. I felt sorry for Robinson and Trusty who both did well but the full backs were poor on and off the ball. Souza had his best game for a while and Norwood did ok in general play but Hamer/McAtee tired badly. The whole side just seemed done by the hour and as I say with the lack of options off the bench due to appalling recruitment (no physical/experienced striker if (when) McBurnie gets injured is amateur-ish combined with the wretched injury list meant we had kids and mini men to come on. Sadly, Man Utd were always going to get a winner.

I was annoyed after as I felt we could have got a draw or even won it. Man Utd are as poor as they have ever been and also were missing some key men. We really had a chance to get something but the lack of fitness/player options allied to a poor mentality 2nd half where we stopped trying to attack (maybe the fatigue simply led to that – mental and physical?) meant there was only going to be one winner. It was a plucky defeat but in the end, a defeat it was and all the cliches about us doing better is fine but Man Utd are a mid-table side and at some point we have to try and attack sides (more consistently) to give ourselves a chance to get points (a point!).

I think the players sadly know we are just not good enough and it is like after all the effort they put in first half they become resigned to the fact they cannot keep it going. Eight defeats in nine and we are squarely in the camp of looking at being one of the worst Premier League sides ever. This seems daft as they probably has been loads worse but the standard has just risen so much. We really have a very good chance of being statistically the worst side and I think as it stands we probably look likely to get it. We have one point and are now a quarter of the way through the season. So, as it stands we would get 4! It’s a sorry situation and we face the possibility of becoming a laughing stock and always remembered for the wrong reasons. Sadly, not sure what the answer is. We have changed the tactics and will probably persist with this as we have no choice with all the centre backs out but we are playing who is available. With Anel and McBurnie maybe out now too, it is getting to the point where we are running out of players. The whole preparation/injury/conditioning/fitness record is now beyond a worry. That whole department really needs changing as harsh as it sounds but we need to try something different in terms of how we train/prepare them. The last 3 years is beyond bad luck and we need to overhaul this department. Last year it was the pitch at Shirecliffe but now we have changed that so what is it now?

I do not see the bad run ending anytime soon. A defeat is almost certain next week and then everyone talks about Bournemouth and Wolves as being games we might get something. Having watched those sides, they are not great but both are a lot better than us so I do not see us getting much in these games either? So, we play who we have available and have changed formation (and personnel) so the only other thing you can change is the manager. We will see if that happens but it probably is more than a possibility if he does not get a result in the next 2 or 3. I get that even though I am not sure it changes much.

Ideally the owner changes, we get investment and can try and sign better players but by January that ship will have sailed (be as good as down probably) and now he will not sell us as the price is plummeting every defeat. I said at the start of the season he would not be able to give us away in 12 months and sadly this is coming to fruition.

Despite a better effort and the players probably doing as well as they could yesterday we still lost and it is horrible knowing your club will and does lose every single week currently.
A tough write but an expected write from the moment we went up. On the positive, we have a bloody good Championship Team - so all is good for ext season

Totally agree. The 20 million spent on Archer and Traore a complete waste of time. Throw in 20 million on Brewster and we have spent 40 million on 3 players who are miles off the physicality/ability for this league.

If McBurnie is out for a while then god help us...see Newcastle game when he was suspended.
Given we lined up as more of a 3-5-1-1, it does seem a miscalculation to have gone for Archer and Traore.

It’s pretty obvious that we cannot play 2 out and out strikers a level higher up in most games.

We would have probably been better signing someone like Kieffer Moore instead.

A tough write but an expected write from the moment we went up. On the positive, we have a bloody good Championship Team - so all is good for ext season
Concern with that is the requirement to offload one or two come the end of the season.

Ironically, Archer, who has been relatively anonymous since Everton will be the first offloaded when he could have been a real asset. Then who else? Maybe Souza? If Hamer then that would be a real blow as he would be a good source of goals and assists.

nearly saw McAtee in on the rebound but ex favourite Maguire eased him off as replays showed he took a big risk in the challenge.

McAtee was eased off it and it was a push but I felt needed to be a bit stronger but know I might be on my own. If it had been given it would not have been overturned but no way are they giving two penalties against Man Utd in one game. I am not certain it was as stonewall as some have made out. Thought it was a 50-50 one but can see why he did not see it as enough as I say if it was the other way given think we would have gone mad.

In my opinion it shouldn't be the weight/force of the push that decides if it's a foul, it's the effect the push has on the player going for or being in possession of the ball. McAtee makes a jump for the ball and in mid-air it takes very little force to ruin his leap. McAtee doesn't head the ball because of an unlawful push from behind by Maguire, therefore this is a penalty.

1698045178272.png

Offences like that happen at almost every corner kick, so when the ref doesn't give it, it's not surprise VAR doesn't get involved either. One difference is that there are 15 people in the box for corners, while this was one challenge involving two players and the referee had a great view.

Completely agree with the reports and the grades. As a former keeper myself, agree Wes seemed very flat footed last night. Looked for the winner that he just didnt get the take off right and hence he was late it. I think someone else mentnioned he should have parried over the bar rather than try to push out. Perhaps that is true.

As a whole the performance for 60 mins was better but agree, the legs started to go and McB going off was poor. Why wasnt Fleck used? And I just dont get Slimane. Constantly just sitting on the bench

Completely agree with the reports and the grades. As a former keeper myself, agree Wes seemed very flat footed last night. Looked for the winner that he just didnt get the take off right and hence he was late it. I think someone else mentnioned he should have parried over the bar rather than try to push out. Perhaps that is true.

As a whole the performance for 60 mins was better but agree, the legs started to go and McB going off was poor. Why wasnt Fleck used? And I just dont get Slimane. Constantly just sitting on the bench
Yeah 6/10 was too much. I have described his game but the mark does not reflect that. It was more like a 5/10

I said at the time it was 'crap goalkeeping' and got lambasted near me but seems most of the pundits agreed with me. It just seemed to go through his hands almost. The shot was good but a goalkeeper at this level saves that.

Fleck has been poor and struggled but I would have actually put him and Slimane on for Archer and one of McAtee or Hamer and just plugged the midfield period. It was still level at 75 mins and most of our players were dead on their feet so him waiting till they scored was poor. Then after they score, the changes are nonsenical as those two incoming are not going to change the game at all.

In my opinion it shouldn't be the weight/force of the push that decides if it's a foul, it's the effect the push has on the player going for or being in possession of the ball. McAtee makes a jump for the ball and in mid-air it takes very little force to ruin his leap. McAtee doesn't head the ball because of an unlawful push from behind by Maguire, therefore this is a penalty.

View attachment 173336

Offences like that happen at almost every corner kick, so when the ref doesn't give it, it's not surprise VAR doesn't get involved either. One difference is that there are 15 people in the box for corners, while this was one challenge involving two players and the referee had a great view.

I get what you and some are saying but not seen much of an outcry in the media (maybe as its against us not Man Utd of course). We have had some poor decisions this season, as has many other clubs (the Wolves one at Old Trafford was far worse than this). I did not think much at the time and even seeing it back, I am not as upset as many are on this. He was pushed/levered out of the way but it wasn't as blatant a penalty as many seem to think. Sadly there would be lots of pens a game if such offences were given. I think it's interesting but if McAtee makes more of it then maybe they have a look but he kind of fell over and it was interesting that even the United player/players did not appeal at all?

I do think if this had been given against us we would have been fuming. It's one of those that technically is a foul but do not tend to get given. It reminded me of the one against WBA when McAtee went down. I was not too upset about that either.

I get what you and some are saying but not seen much of an outcry in the media (maybe as its against us not Man Utd of course). We have had some poor decisions this season, as has many other clubs (the Wolves one at Old Trafford was far worse than this). I did not think much at the time and even seeing it back, I am not as upset as many are on this. He was pushed/levered out of the way but it wasn't as blatant a penalty as many seem to think. Sadly there would be lots of pens a game if such offences were given. I think it's interesting but if McAtee makes more of it then maybe they have a look but he kind of fell over and it was interesting that even the United player/players did not appeal at all?

I do think if this had been given against us we would have been fuming. It's one of those that technically is a foul but do not tend to get given. It reminded me of the one against WBA when McAtee went down. I was not too upset about that either.

Commentators said clear barge. It was bouncing so high that McAtee would do well to get it on target with any real power. But that's irrelevant. I think people would have been more upset if it was bouncing on the goalline, needing an easy nod to score, but upsetness is not relevant either. Nor is Unitedites' fuming if it was the other way round.

McAtee's jump was fairly straight upwards, but with Maguire's push he ends up making a long jump of what seems to be more than five metres. As that push is what prevents him from making contact with the ball it is a clear foul, in my opinion.

1698056087644.png

Back
Top Bottom