How many in here made it 46/46?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Everyone who has attended games wants to think themselves lucky, there's a lot of us who can't attend because the body has let them down, myself I haven't been since before 2019 so tv,live stream is all we have and forums, I have my own opinions on players which I sometimes offer open for people to disagree with
Just one thing we are all Blades and in a small way all family and will fall out now and again
Let's not get into the manic, idiotic finger pointing threads that we all laugh at over on Porktalk we are lucky on here with Linz and Foxy that this forum is not run like North Korea all hail Neil
abell46s-reface.gif

Only been to the semi final this year, but I was at the port vale game, and used to watch the junior blades under 10s in the early 80s as they played behind my house ( I was 8 at the time).

What promised to be a lighthearted look back on the season and a few interesting stories of why we couldn’t get to certain games. Has turned into a bad tempered cockfest of Bladeiness…

Not from me it aint.

I don't give a fat fuck how many games anyone went to. It is totally irrelevant. I'd say 'well done' to anyone who managed all 46, but that disqualifies anyone who went to 45 ... 44 ... and so on. Being at the game is great, but it's simply one method of being involved with United and at a distinct advantage of those geographically placed and/or with the free time and finance to fulfil that commitment. Not having any of that does not denude you as a supporter and with wearying regularity, some on here just don't get that.

pommpey

Excellent effort sir.

I only got to a handful of games unfortunately, but I live on the south coast, with small kids and not much disposable income. Currently. Hope to get to more (again) in the relatively distant future.

I watched pretty much every game live on TV/laptop though. Maybe missed about three, and two of them were technical problems out of my control.
That’s a good effort from all that way away. Money always dictates what we all do in our leisure time. Be proud in the fact that you are being up your kids into the Blades Family, where they belong. They won’t thanks you in the long run though ! 😆

I can't watch football on streams and/or live TV. I find I get no enjoyment from it. I think it's something to do with my attention span. I find radio commentary more enjoyable.

I realised a long time ago that tactical and player analysis was not for me. My head is just too full of - why doesn't he just kick it in the goal.

I like the camaraderie of being in a football crowd. Being in a gang.

I like players who make me smile.

I downsized my career in the early 90s in order to move back to Sheffield.

These are a few of the things that have come to light as I read this thread.

its hard living in Spain to get to every game but did get to one ,
but saw all the other 45 on SUTV OR SKY

Went to watch Valencia draw with Villareal 1-1 in a local derby just last week , aint the same
tried to get them singing bocadillo grasiento de patatas fritas song , but it doesnt scan too well in spanish
they recognised the John Denver tune ok

its hard living in Spain to get to every game but did get to one ,
but saw all the other 45 on SUTV OR SKY

Went to watch Valencia draw with Villareal 1-1 in a local derby just last week , aint the same
tried to get them singing bocadillo grasiento de patatas fritas song , but it doesnt scan too well in spanish
they recognised the John Denver tune ok

Things are not going well at the Mestalla.

1/46 for me, living in Japan. But it was a cracking one - the 3-0 against Blackburn when I was back over in the summer.

The last game I managed to get to before that was Rochdale at home in one of Wilder’s first games back in 2016. We were awful, but not long after that we went on that wonderful ride. So, being at the Blackburn game and being able to see some of the players that made most of the last six or so years being a Blade an absolute pleasure was an absolute treat.

Norwood, who’s overall been my favorite player since he came in (sorry Pomps!), got that beauty of a free kick, and Ndiaye scored probably the best goal I’ve seen in the flesh. It was a perfect game. I felt very lucky to see it.

Apart from that game, I think I’ve managed to watch 44/45 games through a variety of means on streams and elaborate recording set ups (thankfully, my recording system failed me last week for the Huddersfield game!) Not always easy with the time difference, and not always sure it was the sensible decision getting up at 3:45am to watch us, but we can’t help who we are!

UTB.

Watford at home and Wembley for me this year.

Wembley was the first time my two boys have seen us lose. Their record is pretty decent:

Blades 2-2 Leyton Orient
Blades 2-1 Charlton
Blades 3-2 Chesterfield
Blades 4-1 Hull
Blades 3-2 PNE
Blades 3-0 Burnley
Blackpool 0-0 Blades
Blades 1-0 Watford
Man City 3-0 Blades

Before the Charlton game my own record was appalling. I hadn't witnessed a win in about 10 games since beating Boro 1-0 in Jan 2010. A gap of over seven years.

Horrid isn't it when someone randomly, for their own personal reasons of spite, descends into a seemingly well-meant post and turns it into a shitfest because they can't just 'scroll by'? If you're saying 'yes' to this then I agree.

I used to credit Silent with a greater integrity and standing on these boards me and him have existed on for some years. But I am always ready to be disappointed.

I guess I should sacrifice whatever life I have built here on the south coast for forty five years and submit massive personal expense and time away from the family to attend as many games as I can just to fulfil his exacting personal requirements to be as huge a Blade as he.

Bellends, will be bellends. Eh, Cheeseboard?

pommpey
Are you gonna tell us how many you've been to or what?! ;)

I can't watch football on streams and/or live TV. I find I get no enjoyment from it. I think it's something to do with my attention span. I find radio commentary more enjoyable.

I realised a long time ago that tactical and player analysis was not for me. My head is just too full of - why doesn't he just kick it in the goal.

That is an interesting angle for the discussion. I am both deeply analytical and wildly romantic/doe-eyed.

The stadium is infinitely preferable to the sofa because it adds non-footballing flavour. People, sounds, things to smile about, unexpected feelings.

When I watch football, I constantly do so with an analytical mindset. But if United play, there is a second layer of what I simply call affection/love and a sense of belonging. This second layer means that I always love watching us in a ground with mates and strangers irrespective of result or performance. I can see if players are misused or having a mare, but it takes weeks of poor performances for me to start disliking any players personally. Or some stand-out feature I generally dislike in people which is quite rare (I am looking at you, Tony McMahon).

All of that means that United always make me feel happier for watching them than if i miss a match. Even Wigan at home in 2007 left me sad rather than angry. And as the whistle went, I still knew that I had witnessed something existential at first hand in the way it was meant to be watched.

Watching on TV (or playing Man City, it must be said) kind of removes the touchy-feely level of childlike glee just by being there. It's far more often that I think "God, are we hopeless" on TV than I do in the ground. It's more often that a TV match leaves me kind of annoyed. The pure analysis that I always do (I am - after all - the voice of reason ;) ) is more painful without the atmospherics of being at the perfect place at the perfect time.

TV football is far more of a commodity. It can be paused or re-watched. The meaning you bring yourself, the surprises, the inexplicable observations, hunches, the context, the joy of seeing others being far more disappointed, irate or dick-headish than you are, all isn't there.

Assuming that some of this is universal rather than my personal quirks, hints at a disconnection in this discussion: I often view Pommpey to be over-critical and far too personal, as if United owe him a certain standard of performances rather than their mere existence. United exist therefore I love them.

If I watch on TV, I find myself agreeing with the gist of My Takes more than if I was in the ground. The same applies to general discussions of players or the negativity on the board after any defeats.

So being in the ground clearly does not give me a more valid or superior opinion. That would be bullshit. But at least for me, it mellows me out, makes me more forgiving and more likely to be protective of the team when people frame their observations or judgments in emotive or incendiary tones ("X is wank", "Y is a wage thief" or the like).

That’s a good effort from all that way away. Money always dictates what we all do in our leisure time. Be proud in the fact that you are being up your kids into the Blades Family, where they belong. They won’t thanks you in the long run though ! 😆
Off topic, but I've mentioned elsewhere, the growing guilt of brainwashing son into supporting Blades when he was born in Brighton and his first bedroom was in Hove. Feel like he could have quite a happy life supporting them....!

But back on topic, when he's old enough I plan to drive us up to matches for the joy of the match/bonding experience. So it's not all guilt.

Plus I can ensure he always has Blades match access at home. Whereas BHA I'm not as likely to go out of my way/mould plans around!

We need the new season to start so we can stop this kind of post and responses. It's going to be a long closed season.

Lockdown really killed watching us remotely for me, if I'm not there, I can't get invested in it. It's the same if it's on in the Pub, I only enjoy actually being there.
You also can't really get a good view of tactical and player analysis from the screen as the cameras you just follow the ball. There's a reason pundits tend to be at the game, or have multiple camera angles available to them if they're in the studio.

It's not really the same for watching other teams though, quite happy to half watch teams I don't care about on TV, just not us.

I didn't attend a single home game this season. I did go to our away games at, Swansea, Cardiff, QPR and the Wembley semi-final.
That was the first time in years that I have not attended any home games in a season.
Even when I am a season ticket holder I only manage 10 or 12 home games a season, living so far away makes it sometimes easier to get to away games.

That is an interesting angle for the discussion. I am both deeply analytical and wildly romantic/doe-eyed.

The stadium is infinitely preferable to the sofa because it adds non-footballing flavour. People, sounds, things to smile about, unexpected feelings.

When I watch football, I constantly do so with an analytical mindset. But if United play, there is a second layer of what I simply call affection/love and a sense of belonging. This second layer means that I always love watching us in a ground with mates and strangers irrespective of result or performance. I can see if players are misused or having a mare, but it takes weeks of poor performances for me to start disliking any players personally. Or some stand-out feature I generally dislike in people which is quite rare (I am looking at you, Tony McMahon).

All of that means that United always make me feel happier for watching them than if i miss a match. Even Wigan at home in 2007 left me sad rather than angry. And as the whistle went, I still knew that I had witnessed something existential at first hand in the way it was meant to be watched.

Watching on TV (or playing Man City, it must be said) kind of removes the touchy-feely level of childlike glee just by being there. It's far more often that I think "God, are we hopeless" on TV than I do in the ground. It's more often that a TV match leaves me kind of annoyed. The pure analysis that I always do (I am - after all - the voice of reason ;) ) is more painful without the atmospherics of being at the perfect place at the perfect time.

TV football is far more of a commodity. It can be paused or re-watched. The meaning you bring yourself, the surprises, the inexplicable observations, hunches, the context, the joy of seeing others being far more disappointed, irate or dick-headish than you are, all isn't there.

Assuming that some of this is universal rather than my personal quirks, hints at a disconnection in this discussion: I often view Pommpey to be over-critical and far too personal, as if United owe him a certain standard of performances rather than their mere existence. United exist therefore I love them.

If I watch on TV, I find myself agreeing with the gist of My Takes more than if I was in the ground. The same applies to general discussions of players or the negativity on the board after any defeats.

So being in the ground clearly does not give me a more valid or superior opinion. That would be bullshit. But at least for me, it mellows me out, makes me more forgiving and more likely to be protective of the team when people frame their observations or judgments in emotive or incendiary tones ("X is wank", "Y is a wage thief" or the like).

And you won't find me disagreeing with much of this. Sitting in Bramall Lane is a rare, magical treat for me and one which many Sheffielders - my two buddies included - take for granted. I often text them at 1455 over WhatsApp with 'You two at BDTBL?' and I'm disappointed for them if they aren't (one has been in Northern General recently so it's kinda forgivable and he wasn't with us when we saw United beat Wigan which was sad)

Do you get a better view? Sure - of the whole stadium. Do the atmospherics matter? Of course they do. Is there any gain in being at the match which enables you to author a short precis about the game and give out of tens for players? I don't think so. I was sat on the BLUT for the Wigan game and couldn't tell you much about McAtee's breakout and if NDaiye was offside from his pass. I couldn't tell you either much about Sharp's sitter just as much as no one on the Kop could tell me about how close McAtee was with his near post side netting shot in the first half or if the challenge on Doyle right under me was a penalty or not. Last year at a game Berge went down at the kop end under a challenge and my mate shot a WhatsApp message saying PENALTY! to which I froze the screen and sent him back a picture showing him why the ref didn't give it. Could anyone in the JSS tell me if the challenge Lowe made on that player which was actually inside our box was a penalty or not? Seemed it was to me, and we got away with it.

Being at the game gives you one set of experiences, sitting at home another. Neither is above the other except in the narrow minds of pedants and mardy arses who generally don't have a lot to say about United or the game itself. In the end, its all about football and all about our team, not about how much you qualify to hold opinions based upon where your arse was parked when you witnessed it.

pommpey

And you won't find me disagreeing with much of this. Sitting in Bramall Lane is a rare, magical treat for me and one which many Sheffielders - my two buddies included - take for granted. I often text them at 1455 over WhatsApp with 'You two at BDTBL?' and I'm disappointed for them if they aren't (one has been in Northern General recently so it's kinda forgivable and he wasn't with us when we saw United beat Wigan which was sad)

Do you get a better view? Sure - of the whole stadium. Do the atmospherics matter? Of course they do. Is there any gain in being at the match which enables you to author a short precis about the game and give out of tens for players? I don't think so. I was sat on the BLUT for the Wigan game and couldn't tell you much about McAtee's breakout and if NDaiye was offside from his pass. I couldn't tell you either much about Sharp's sitter just as much as no one on the Kop could tell me about how close McAtee was with his near post side netting shot in the first half or if the challenge on Doyle right under me was a penalty or not. Last year at a game Berge went down at the kop end under a challenge and my mate shot a WhatsApp message saying PENALTY! to which I froze the screen and sent him back a picture showing him why the ref didn't give it. Could anyone in the JSS tell me if the challenge Lowe made on that player which was actually inside our box was a penalty or not? Seemed it was to me, and we got away with it.

Being at the game gives you one set of experiences, sitting at home another. Neither is above the other except in the narrow minds of pedants and mardy arses who generally don't have a lot to say about United or the game itself. In the end, its all about football and all about our team, not about how much you qualify to hold opinions based upon where your arse was parked when you witnessed it.

pommpey
What sort of commentary do you get on streams, etc? Do you listen? Or do you prefer to be a bit more detached and analytical?

1/46 - I'm just happy I managed to get to a game this season, living overseas you forget about the matchday experience and how special it is. The pre match pint, the walk to the ground with a chip butty and curry sauce, grabbing a programme, going in t' club shop, seeing dads with their lads n lasses, the pre match anticipation, walking up a gangway and feeling the air on your face as you see the pitch, GCB at full pelt, the half time fight for a piss and another pint, walking away with all three points, there really is nothing like it.

So if you attend all games be thankful you can because for people who can't for whatever reason its probably not because they cant be bothered.

There is no bigger or smaller Blade than me, we are all the same, we are all Blades, the best family on the planet!

Didn't bother with a ST this year as i thought I'd miss a chunk of matches due to shift work.
Turns out i managed 21 home games & 4 fa cup ones too.
Cost me a fortune with the day ticket prices 😒. Hopefully I'll be able to bag myself a ST this time around 🙏
Well done fellow Blades it's been an awesome effort 👏👏👏

Think I missed 1 home game...no idea which one.

Did no away games.

Did Wembley which was the 1st time taking my daughter to watch the blades away from Bramall Lane.

Did one womens match at home..no fucking loyalty pts for that! Boo

Best memory by a mile...and most liked post for me this season was her walking through the gangway and seeing the inside of the stadium.

On to next season...more memories to make.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom