How many in here made it 46/46?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What sort of commentary do you get on streams, etc? Do you listen? Or do you prefer to be a bit more detached and analytical?

The Birmingham City commentary yesterday was fucking annoying. He wasn't anywhere near the Hal/Nick levels of balanced, controlled narrative. He basically stUCTUred HIS sentences in BURSTS of high enerGY with SHOUTY bits and then quiet BITS with SYLLables at different VOLUMES. When Brum broke out in the first half with Khadra as well, I thought he was gonna shit a few conkers, lace them up and go best of three hits, he was so animated. It must have been some shit season at St Andrews.

But on the Firestick you either have the SUTV matchday commentator assisted by Mogadon Gage or the affable Sarbs with the colour balance making you think the floodlights have partially failed and the crowd sound like it's in Oyl in t'Roeerd or to have the opposing teams' iFollow which could be any daft cunt who fancies himself with a microphone accompanied by a 'fuck me, is he still alive?' ex-player mumbling missives about 'back when we were in the First Division' and the like. And they barely talk about United and say 'Endeeyai' and 'Achmedozich' and 'McBoozer'

pommpey

And you won't find me disagreeing with much of this. Sitting in Bramall Lane is a rare, magical treat for me and one which many Sheffielders - my two buddies included - take for granted. I often text them at 1455 over WhatsApp with 'You two at BDTBL?' and I'm disappointed for them if they aren't (one has been in Northern General recently so it's kinda forgivable and he wasn't with us when we saw United beat Wigan which was sad)

Do you get a better view? Sure - of the whole stadium. Do the atmospherics matter? Of course they do. Is there any gain in being at the match which enables you to author a short precis about the game and give out of tens for players? I don't think so. I was sat on the BLUT for the Wigan game and couldn't tell you much about McAtee's breakout and if NDaiye was offside from his pass. I couldn't tell you either much about Sharp's sitter just as much as no one on the Kop could tell me about how close McAtee was with his near post side netting shot in the first half or if the challenge on Doyle right under me was a penalty or not. Last year at a game Berge went down at the kop end under a challenge and my mate shot a WhatsApp message saying PENALTY! to which I froze the screen and sent him back a picture showing him why the ref didn't give it. Could anyone in the JSS tell me if the challenge Lowe made on that player which was actually inside our box was a penalty or not? Seemed it was to me, and we got away with it.

Being at the game gives you one set of experiences, sitting at home another. Neither is above the other except in the narrow minds of pedants and mardy arses who generally don't have a lot to say about United or the game itself. In the end, its all about football and all about our team, not about how much you qualify to hold opinions based upon where your arse was parked when you witnessed it.

pommpey

This debate is as old as this forum. I remember the debate about listening to games wasn't good enough to have an opinion on an away match. Which I guess adds a bit more weight to the "You don't know man, you weren't there!" argument.

I think in your case and many others you are watching a stream of the game. So you have seen actually seen the match in full live. The only information you don't have is if the pies at St Andrews are any good or how many Blades fans were off their tits on columbian marching powder at half time.

What Silent did was make a cheap dig to wind you up and it worked I guess. Although why he felt the need to start this thread says more about him than you when he could have just left it at that on your thread.

We do like a good bigger blade competition on this forum.

2/46 for me sadly due to illness. Watched the other 44 on stream and was there in spirit. So I'm claiming 46. And every cup game too.

Hoping I can make more next season but we'll see how it goes.
To be honest don’t know how anyone can watch on video/ telly or listen on radio im a nervous fucking wreck, starting to understand why I’ve heart disease now LOL. I’m not bad when i’m actually at tne game probably because I’m surrounded by other fans and we also have a good gargle before and after the match, the train home full of Blades is like therapy win or lose. Hope you‘re well enough to get to games next season.

The Birmingham City commentary yesterday was fucking annoying. He wasn't anywhere near the Hal/Nick levels of balanced, controlled narrative. He basically stUCTUred HIS sentences in BURSTS of high enerGY with SHOUTY bits and then quiet BITS with SYLLables at different VOLUMES. When Brum broke out in the first half with Khadra as well, I thought he was gonna shit a few conkers, lace them up and go best of three hits, he was so animated. It must have been some shit season at St Andrews.

Oh wow. You're right.
Up there as annoying as that female MOTD commentator. Not saying that in a sexist way at all, her voice is just god awful

Everyone who supports Sheffield United is as important, valid and needed as any other. Work, financial situation,domestic situation, health,where one lives all determine the ability to attend/watch games.
Very few people who post on here know any other person who posts on here so being judgmental is way out of order.
Supporting United in the way that fits. Nothing else is relevant.

I can't watch football on streams and/or live TV. I find I get no enjoyment from it. I think it's something to do with my attention span. I find radio commentary more enjoyable.

I realised a long time ago that tactical and player analysis was not for me. My head is just too full of - why doesn't he just kick it in the goal.

I like the camaraderie of being in a football crowd. Being in a gang.

I like players who make me smile.

I downsized my career in the early 90s in order to move back to Sheffield.

These are a few of the things that have come to light as I read this thread.
Watford at home and Wembley for me this year.

Wembley was the first time my two boys have seen us lose. Their record is pretty decent:

Blades 2-2 Leyton Orient
Blades 2-1 Charlton
Blades 3-2 Chesterfield
Blades 4-1 Hull
Blades 3-2 PNE
Blades 3-0 Burnley
Blackpool 0-0 Blades
Blades 1-0 Watford
Man City 3-0 Blades

Before the Charlton game my own record was appalling. I hadn't witnessed a win in about 10 games since beating Boro 1-0 in Jan 2010. A gap of over seven years.
Fret not. As pommpey says, it’s not a competition

To be honest don’t know how anyone can watch on video/ telly or listen on radio im a nervous fucking wreck, starting to understand why I’ve heart disease now LOL. I’m not bad when i’m actually at tne game probably because I’m surrounded by other fans and we also have a good gargle before and after the match, the train home full of Blades is like therapy win or lose. Hope you‘re well enough to get to games next season.
To be honest, I've had little option but to get used to it I guess. I can easily dip in and out regards attention as well which is either a help or a hindrance depending on how you want to judge that. The commentary can be hit and miss, the stream likewise. But cheering on the sofa is safer for me than amongst thousands of others. I thank Bert for some complimentary tickets, my mate for the wedding gift and a mate of mine for the freebie too. I haven't paid a penny for the 3 games but thanked everyone for the generosity.

Heard an argument once that if you don't attend your a fan and not a supporter, as you aren't there physically supporting the club.

Discuss
It makes sense I suppose. But could you be a fan one week then a supporter the next if you couldn't make a Tuesday night for example?

It makes sense I suppose. But could you he a fan one week then a supporter the next if you couldn't make a Tuesday night for example?
And does spending your hard earned money on kit or SUTV count as you financially supporting the club? If it does do you lose your supporters badge once the ink in your Blades pen runs out?

2/46 for me sadly due to illness. Watched the other 44 on stream and was there in spirit. So I'm claiming 46. And every cup game too.

Hoping I can make more next season but we'll see how it goes.
Bang same as me mate watched every game but only attended two, one of my two was Wembley which barring the result was a great day out. My measly total of 2 was due to long standing mobility problems due to legs and hips, after some ops I’m well on the way to recovery and hoping to get to the vast majority of home games next year, maybe one or two away who knows. Keep that chin up pal things will get better and you will be back at the lane in the near future, get well soon 👍

What Silent did was make a cheap dig to wind you up and it worked I guess. Although why he felt the need to start this thread says more about him than you when he could have just left it at that on your thread.
In face-to-face interactions, we have body language to assist us so a wink and/or a smile can help clarify what is intended beyond the words. Without that as in keyboard-to-keyboard interactions and in the absence of an emoji, it's anybody's guess. I've never really undersood the point of posting 'baiting comments' (as has happened to pommpey) but we've all probably said "daft stuff" online that's gone wrong and caused offence and in that case, I find an apology usually gives the best outcome.

Everyone who supports Sheffield United is as important, valid and needed as any other. Work, financial situation,domestic situation, health,where one lives all determine the ability to attend/watch games.
Very few people who post on here know any other person who posts on here so being judgmental is way out of order.
Supporting United in the way that fits. Nothing else is relevant.
This all day long,l have lived away from Sheffield for a long time and l still feel an attachment to this club that can't be put into word's, the goosebumps l get when l do travel over to the lane are the same every time and wherever you live once a blade always a blade , nobody's a bigger blade than anyone else

I’ve done 35/46 and my lad has done 37/46 which is a great effort from a 13 year old lad. The games I missed have all been due to work commitments where I couldn’t get leave or swaps shifts. Out of the 4 I missed at home, three of those were defeats (Rotherham, Luton, QPR). This is probably my usual level of attendance and has been for many years.

I definitely think that pommpey not being a regular attendee of the Lane matters in the grand scheme of things a great deal. On the whole I actually enjoy looking on here on my way home after the match to see how he seen things, and he will give accounts of things I’ve not seen well, or not been too sure about, and his players ratings are usually broadly similar to what me and the young un have rated the players at.

My level of attendance will probably remain as it is for the next few years until retirement then I’ll probably do every game I can.

It was during the Adkins era that I realised that the football for me has two meanings. If we are going well I actually go for the football, and if we aren’t it’s just as much for going to the same place I’ve been going all my life and seeing my friends and spending time with them.

My biggest privilege has been ingratiating my sons in to a life of following the Blades, it’s our thing we do together and our shared passion and I’ve passed on the tradition to someone who is going to be a lifelong Blade and I couldn’t be prouder

Only 3 games for me this season. This would have been 10 -12 prior to COVID. The price of flights has increased slightly but it is the cost of car hire that has been prohibitive. That has just become extortionate. I have also found it more difficult to access tickets this season meaning that I have had to look at booking flights a matter of days prior to games.
Lots of matches watched at home though

Without sounding all wishy washy. I just hope kids went for the first time with their parents, enjoyed it and begged them to go again. And those that couldn't afford every game, still managed to get involved and even sneak in a game.

I'll chuck in on this.
From my own personal situation at the time, I had lost my (was part time carer) mom in late 2015 and stopped going to home games.
I used to go to most home games and the odd away game
Couldn't get any enthusiasm to go.

When CW took in 2016, I decided to go back to the lane for that first home game, I fell apart mentally, walked out after 15 mins.

So for me the radio and TV whether sky or SUTV has been my blades lifeline.
Still is and always will be.
UTB

Same here. 1/46 due to living in lanzrote.
The 5 2 thrashing of Burnley at the lane.
At the time I remember thinking 'that Kompany bloke is not much of a manager is he!'
Cov at home 3-1 for me.

I've got two season tickets, and still missed loads. Did about half a dozen away games, but still reckon I did less than 50% of all the games.

I'm not adding it up, as I'd depress myself seeing how much money I'd wasted 🙁

Thanks to Sky TV and Deadbats reports, I don't feel like I've missed much.

I've got two season tickets, and still missed loads. Did about half a dozen away games, but still reckon I did less than 50% of all the games.

I'm not adding it up, as I'd depress myself seeing how much money I'd wasted 🙁

Thanks to Sky TV and Deadbats reports, I don't feel like I've missed much.
I have in the past bought a season ticket knowing that I may only use it for 50-60% of the games, but I do it as a way of giving the club some of my money.
If there was a way of "sharing" a season ticket I would gladly let somebody else use it for free when I don't go.

I'll chuck in on this.
From my own personal situation at the time, I had lost my (was part time carer) mom in late 2015 and stopped going to home games.

When CW took in 2016, I decided to go back to the lane for that first home game, I fell apart mentally, walked out after 15 mins.

So for me the radio and TV whether sky or SUTV has been my blades lifeline.
Still is and always will be.
UTB
The above should absolutely shame anyone who things a pi55ing contest is big and clever. In truth you're sad and thick.

Going to a shit load of games takes less effort than going to fewer than a shit load, whatever your circumstances.

My effort, ranging from some, to quite a few, home games over the last two seasons emerging from covid, likely took less effort than silent blades effort.

I'm alright with that, and I don't mind anyone telling me that they're a bigger blade than me. That makes them probably alright from my experience. And all power to em.

So who's won the biggest blade contest then? Can we have a graph for next season with projected attendance for silent, plotted against his last 3 seasons after promtion to the top league?

Better still.

Who has the most loyalty points?

MASSIVE BLADE. The biggest. Truly. Hugely bigly.

Does that give the right to anyone over 28 to be cunty in their comments regarding your attendance? Or does it really ... fucking ... matter?

What is your opinion of those who attend no games, don't watch it on streams and don't even listen to it on the radio but read the match reports in the papers? What about those who don't even do that, yet consider themselves to be Sheff Utd supporters. But they have a shirt. It's the 1993 blue third one and the shield badge has been bleached a bit. They wear it for gardening sometimes.

HRT Silent. You can even get it as a wearable patch.

pommpey
He was just asking how many games people went to. No more no less. I went to 22 at home and 2 away. Plus Wrexham, Spurs and Blackburn.

I'll chuck in on this.

I know that Southend game was bad, but give them another chance mate

Out of order there pommpey IMO. Have a pop, fine, but no need to slaughter the guy.

You've met @SilentBlade have you?

I know him well and have done for many years.

One of the nicest guys around.

Great. And you shouldn't be. But sneaking into one of mine with a 'so you attended 1/46' snidism is just inviting him to stick his arse out to be kicked.

I don't give a fat fuck how many shirts people own, how many tats they have or how many games they've attended. For a myriad of reasons, many can't attend games, or even stream them.

Silent is ploughing the same tossers furrow about being a Billy Big Blade and when called out about it, pretending he is fishing for a bite. Tweak the tail, get the fucking horns.

pommpey
What a crock of shit. Innocent question about games seen. You ok? Why the vitriol??

I saw 25. Would have seen more away if able to get tickets and if days/times weren’t messed with.

P.s my record is 35/42 in 1974-75. I loved that season.

Back
Top Bottom