How did Souza play?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The whole team looks completely unfit Souza included. We looked dead on our feet last 10 minutes of every game this season. Conditioning and fitness is appalling at the club.

I’ll summarise, we all thought he was the big imposing holding midfielder we cried out for… I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt due new settings, scenery’s, language……… he’s wank!

Souza's pass completion stats are quite high. 85% on average, highest again today. But his passing is not creative. He's the typical holding midfielder who challenges for the ball and gives it short to someone who's more creative. Today he played in Berge's old position, RCM, and he lacks the mobility for it. I think he needs to play in the central, holding role, or as one of two holding midfielders.

1696711584327.png

Hecky's tried a number of things that haven't worked now and he needs to keep looking for the best way of getting this group to play football competitively at this level.

I suggest trying Souza with Hamer as the central duo. It is time to find out if Hamer can do that role at this level. If Baldock is fit after the international break I suggest him back at RWB and Bogle RM in a 5-4-1. McAtee LM and McBurnie up front. We need to get back to being tight and difficult to play against.

It should come as no great surprise that Souza has not exactly set the world on fire in his performances so far .

Based on a combination of watching his ‘highlights’ video and reading the comments of fans of his former club Espanyol , I had few if any expectations that he would prove to be an impressive signing .

Apart from a few brief moments against Forest , nothing he has done since has changed that opinion and with every game that passes it becomes more and more obvious that his performances fall well short of those required in the PL .

Having said that , it would be foolish to put the blame for our inept performances solely on him in a team that is playing without any self belief or recognisable style , but it has to be said that a better player in his role could well have a much more positive influence on that situation .

Back
Top Bottom