Hecky- better than wilder?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jimmy Fleck

Reaction score
More tactual nous, seems to be a better recruitment process… thoughts?

Hi Stegosaurus here

Yes

Wilder stole a great tactic from Knoll, then didn't have a clue what to do when teams sussed it out.

I'm not making a comparison between them.

Chris Wilder picked us up from the absolute dumps, took a team full of shit and spun us into gold. He gave me and many others the best years of our lives following this club. It wasn't to last, and lord knows he had his shortcomings and it's sad how it ended, but I'm forever grateful.

Paul Heckingbottom made a broken, demoralised and defeated side believe in themselves again when there was nothing left to play for but a bit of dignity. When it was clear that it wouldn't work out with Slavisa Jokanovic, he returned again and made us into winners, falling painfully short of taking us back to the top.
Then he took us the top flight, with fixtures to spare, often playing some excellent stuff in the process.

I'm thankful that they both form part of the rich tapestry of Sheffield Uniteds story.

I wouldn't say more tactical nous. Many times last season he failed to change things tactically when it wasn't working and merely made like for like changes with very late subs. He's good but can get better. He can't do this in the Premier League.

Hi Stegosaurus here

Yes

Wilder stole a great tactic from Knoll, then didn't have a clue what to do when teams sussed it out.
You put your left claw in,
your left claw out!
In out, in out, scratch it all about!
You do the Dino-Cockey and you swish your tail around!
And that's what it's all about!

I don’t think Hecky gays the respect he deserves off some of our fan base.
Yes he’s had good squads but the 2 previous managers ultimately failed with those same players.
This year due to our financial situation he won’t have anything like the backing Wilder had so any comparison with that 9th place finish isn’t comparing apples with apples.
I love the way he goes about his business, meticulous and professional without any drama and the team spirit he’s fostered is a testament to how much the players respect him.
We had great times under Wilder and Knilly and it will be difficult for any manager/team to match the emotional high of the double promotion, mainly because we had been in the doledrums for so long.
However that doesn’t mean we don’t have a very very good manager in Hecky, and personally I think he will get better with more experience.
Personally I prefer Hecky, Wilders latter tenure was more about his ego than doing what was right for the club so I think we are in safer hands now.

Much will be revealed this season.

Wilder massively overachieved until his final season. I wouldn't call Heckingbottom's reign a huge overachievement. Maybe a place or two.The guy before him was a total fraud who proved he was nothing without his blank cheques at the money clubs.Hecky's recruitment in the main has been well known loans from good clubs who have, admittedly, done well. The squad he inherited was full of top players for the level. Wilder's inherited squad was largely cast offs and strays on the cheap. Arguably our worst squad since the fourth division was the one Wilder inherited. This was compounded when all the best youngsters were sold to give him any type of budget. If we can do what Wilder did in L1 and the Champ to make ourselves competitive in the Prem, then Hecky will challenge Wilder re recruitment. The Anel signing gives me some optimism that we/he can identify a bargain

Wilders recruitment was essentially digging gold from a landfill site due to our finances. The criticism of that only really begins in the Premier League when many miracles had already been performed.

What I would say for both is that they get players playing for them. Wilder left a legacy of great characters on the playing staff which helped Hecky.They have both shown that they could improve individuals. Heckingbottom has reverted back to 3-5-2 which is an obvious tip of the cap to the Wilder regime. Common sense isn't so common.though - as Slav proved - so he deserves some credit for this.

Wilder was a roller-coaster tale of two halves.

Pre-covid he had the magic touch and gave me some of my best moments following the blades.
After that he was a disaster. Luck ran out with both injuries and ability to pick up diamonds in the rough from the transfer market.

Hecky's success seems to be built on stability. He is more measured and reserved, so probably won't get to legend status. Overall he may be better though if we continue to get excitement and results on the pitch.

Not better yet, just a very different style of management. PH is making progress but he hasn’t finished yet.
Give him time, be reight. :)

Wilder started with nothing and built the foundations
Hecky took over a very strong championship side
But Hecky is better with young players and a bit more savvy with transfers and dealt with a major injury crisis’ extremely well ( though it might have been a self inflicted injury crisis)

I'm not making a comparison between them.

Chris Wilder picked us up from the absolute dumps, took a team full of shit and spun us into gold. He gave me and many others the best years of our lives following this club. It wasn't to last, and lord knows he had his shortcomings and it's sad how it ended, but I'm forever grateful.

Paul Heckingbottom made a broken, demoralised and defeated side believe in themselves again when there was nothing left to play for but a bit of dignity. When it was clear that it wouldn't work out with Slavisa Jokanovic, he returned again and made us into winners, falling painfully short of taking us back to the top.
Then he took us the top flight, with fixtures to spare, often playing some excellent stuff in the process.

I'm thankful that they both form part of the rich tapestry of Sheffield Uniteds story.
I think you sum things up perfectly.The premiership is a tougher league now since Wilder took us up.
To keep us up will be comparable with Wilders 1st season and finishing position.

He's still got a bit to do for me. Two promotions and a 9th place from a starting point of 11th in League 1 is quite something to compete against.

A promotion and an FA Cup semi final is a pretty decent start though

CW did what others couldn't and then some. Got us out of L1, with style, and rode the momentum up the leagues. Truly amazing period to have been a Blade. However, it came unstuck thanks to Covid and perhaps because of not having a strong enough plan B/C. His record since leaving us hardly paints the best picture either, but that 1st season in the Prem can't be over looked.

Hecky, for me, seems a better all round manager. He doesn't seem the type to give a rousing call to arms as Wilder did, but comes across as a far more calculating, deliberate and maybe even professional character. He's clearly able, with the support of the inner management team, to nurture and develop talent. We've just taken 2nd place, pretty much at a canter, in his first full season in charge, which points to an ability to navigate the tactical challenges of a tough league. I think the real litmus test is if we can stay up for more than 2 years. Maybe then he'll get the respect.

Wilder has achieved more, so far - not to say Heckingbottom can't replicate that.

I prefer the way PH operates however, he's extremely classy. I think he's had to work with a hand tied behind his back at times: last season the promotion could have been derailed by the off field issues, I'm not sure how CW would have handled that, I would guess poorly.

Ultimately, PH has built off the back of the incredible work CW did - they've both proved themselves to be fantastic Sheff Utd managers, and a lightyears ahead of any other in my blades lifetime.

Can't even start to compare, Wilder did it over a longer period.

Wilders recruitment was really good up until the prem, I think the club trusted him with the premier league money because of what he'd done in the previous seasons. Wilder also pretty much built the team & style that Hecky took over and put his own twist on.

For me Wilder is possibly my favourite manager of my generation, its a shame he ended it the way he did. I like the job that Hecky is doing though.

Much will be revealed this season.

Wilder massively overachieved until his final season. I wouldn't call Heckingbottom's reign a huge overachievement. Maybe a place or two.The guy before him was a total fraud who proved he was nothing without his blank cheques at the money clubs.Hecky's recruitment in the main has been well known loans from good clubs who have, admittedly, done well. The squad he inherited was full of top players for the level. Wilder's inherited squad was largely cast offs and strays on the cheap. Arguably our worst squad since the fourth division was the one Wilder inherited. This was compounded when all the best youngsters were sold to give him any type of budget. If we can do what Wilder did in L1 and the Champ to make ourselves competitive in the Prem, then Hecky will challenge Wilder re recruitment. The Anel signing gives me some optimism that we/he can identify a bargain

Wilders recruitment was essentially digging gold from a landfill site due to our finances. The criticism of that only really begins in the Premier League when many miracles had already been performed.

What I would say for both is that they get players playing for them. Wilder left a legacy of great characters on the playing staff which helped Hecky.They have both shown that they could improve individuals. Heckingbottom has reverted back to 3-5-2 which is an obvious tip of the cap to the Wilder regime. Common sense isn't so common.though - as Slav proved - so he deserves some credit for this.
Spot on about getting the players to play for them. But now Billy not on the scene do you think a bit of that could be lost? Let's hope not. Personally think Billy waste cement between them.

No. I think he would need to get us into Europe to be in that league of game changing for the club. We were mid table in league one before Wilder turned up.

Why do people have to slag off or downplay our 'successful' managers.

There's plenty of shit that has managed us in our recent history for us to have a pop at Robson/Heath/Adams/Slav/Adkins/Clough etc

I wouldn't say more tactical nous. Many times last season he failed to change things tactically when it wasn't working and merely made like for like changes with very late subs. He's good but can get better. He can't do this in the Premier League.
Why so? Is this because he hasnt managed in the PL before? Take a look at Thomas Frank? Hasnt done too bad has he? Or Gary O'Neil last year.

Hi Stegosaurus here

Yes

Mainly been off the forum for months due to WUM inflation.

Just found the 'ignore' button which is great, but I'm getting a bit worried about wearing it out.

If he manages to put a decent team together to really"have a go" next season,it'll be amazing and testament to his management skills and those around him.Much underrated me thinks.

Heckingbottom has signed two permanent players that we've actually seen play, one of them being a back up goalkeeper, so I'm not sure how that can compare against building a full squad on peanuts that went from mid table in League One to the Premier League.

He does some better with the young players though, as you expect given where he came from.

Back
Top Bottom