Hecky and Coaching Team Out - Yes or No

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HECKY OUT

• YES

Votes: 672 88.9%
  • NO

Votes: 84 11.1%

• Total voters
I’ll have a go.
Last season Hecky took us to promotion and an FA Cup semifinal; the season before we were in dire straits but he got us to the playoffs. He did a great job with a squad that wasn’t brilliant, got us promoted despite the pressure of knowing that if he didn’t get it right the club would be terminally fucked.
Having secured promotion the owner sold two of our best players, a week before the season started, and the players that were brought in are not as good as the ones that left. Our first team from last season beats the current team easily so how can we expect them to succeed in the richest league in world football?
No manager would keep this current team up. It was obvious we were fucked from the start of the season. The fight now is to ensure that we consolidate next year in the Championship. As we are skint, who is going to accept the job and do it better than Hecky?
Could I also say that these calls for a man to be sacked from his job, usually backed up by personal insults, leave a sour taste. I think he deserves a bit more respect than he’s getting on here. He’s obviously a decent bloke and a respected professional that has been dealt a crap hand. He’s playing that hand to the best of his ability…but we are going down regardless.

I have no problem admitting that Hecky has done a good job over the last few seasons. And I have no problem admitting recruitment has been poor and that the squad is not up the challenge.
I do think the coaching staff need to be replaced for the following reasons.

We have no discernable pattern to our play.
We depend on individual brilliance from one or two to get a result. Even though we were promoted there were wobbly patches where we were terrible. If you are faced with better teams you have to improvise and surprise them by trying something new. Hecky is too slow to read the game and make changes.

Players are not showing any improvement. The team is not showing any organisation or leadership. If we don't bring someone in to change things we are in a serious position that could lead to splits in the dressing room.

Finally Ndiaye is a loss. But there is zero. evidence that Berge was one of our better players. He is not pulling up trees for Burnley either.

Just watched Everton and I could forgive getting beat if we mirrored how they played. 24 attempts on goal. I don't think we've managed that in total all season!

His timid approach is neither here nor there! Time to go! 👋

I'm afraid I can't because we don't appear to have one. Up to Heckingbottom to sort that out sharpish or he'll likely be out on his arse, such is the nature of the game.

If we're getting rid of Hecky, who are we bringing in to forge a new identity and style of play using the current staff?
He won’t be manager within the next 7 days if that’s before or after Burnley I don’t know - the incoming has an agreed contract on the table only that some members of the board are against the appointment
Hope is that after yesterday they will have changed their minds

I’ve been a Hecky supporter up to the last few weeks. It’s true that he’s been dealt a dodgy hand by the owner. However I now feel he is a defeatist. In his interviews he says we cannot compete with our rivals and seems to throw in the towel before we have even started. It’s almost as if he’s saying our squad is crap and we’ve just got to sit in try not to lose without contemplating how we can win. The example has to be yesterday picking the side which started at Brighton. We were atrocious first half there and it was only substitutions and to a greater extent the sending off which changed the game. Everyone could see the futility of this line up but not Hecky. Great respect for what he’s achieved over the last two years but he’s coming across as scared and not knowing what to do to change things up. I wonder if this has baffled the players as they don’t seem to have the heart to play in the manner which Hecky is asking them. It must be demoralising as a player when your manager is telling the press that you’re not as good as the opposition. It’s cowardly football, when we should be courageous and at least go down fighting with a roar rather than just a whimper. For this reason I’ve changed my mind and hecky has to go.

He won’t be manager within the next 7 days if that’s before or after Burnley I don’t know - the incoming has an agreed contract on the table only that some members of the board are against the appointment
Say whaaaat!

The United board? The Princes daughter, his accountant, lawyer and a company secretary with no say on football matters? Who has put the offer on the table?

The United board? The Princes daughter, his accountant, lawyer and a company secretary with no say on football matters? Who has put the offer on the table?
Would assume it's inclusive of the Geneva branch of the decision making tree.

I have no problem admitting that Hecky has done a good job over the last few seasons. And I have no problem admitting recruitment has been poor and that the squad is not up the challenge.
I do think the coaching staff need to be replaced for the following reasons.

We have no discernable pattern to our play.
We depend on individual brilliance from one or two to get a result. Even though we were promoted there were wobbly patches where we were terrible. If you are faced with better teams you have to improvise and surprise them by trying something new. Hecky is too slow to read the game and make changes.

Players are not showing any improvement. The team is not showing any organisation or leadership. If we don't bring someone in to change things we are in a serious position that could lead to splits in the dressing room.

Finally Ndiaye is a loss. But there is zero. evidence that Berge was one of our better players. He is not pulling up trees for Burnley either.
Fair enough concerning Hecky. Maybe there is something to be gained by sacking him and the rest of the management team and bringing in another group of blokes; can’t see it myself but you could well be right.
I do disagree with your statement that there is ‘zero evidence that Berge was one of our better players’. Look at last season’s highlights video; Macca had his moments but it’s basically the Ndiaye and Berge show.

Fair enough concerning Hecky. Maybe there is something to be gained by sacking him and the rest of the management team and bringing in another group of blokes; can’t see it myself but you could well be right.
I do disagree with your statement that there is ‘zero evidence that Berge was one of our better players’. Look at last season’s highlights video; Macca had his moments but it’s basically the Ndiaye and Berge show.
Berge was one of our most inconsistent players. When he was good he was great, but then we'd often go 2-3 games after asking if he was even on the pitch as he'd completely dissappear. I honestly don't think having him or Ndiaye this season would change a thing. We'd still set up with an eleven man defence, still hoof the ball to Archer or Ndiaye, and would still get outrun down the wings and through the midfield. The formation and tactics are the bigger problem, not the personnel. Any manager could get this team to make off ball runs into space instead of standing static like a Subbuteo man. Any manager could get our players to complete a pass to a team mate.

Hecky's stubborness, lack of tactical know how and nuance and insistence in approaching every game the same way as "let's defend our 0-0 lead for the whole game, then I'll let you take the shackles off and attack them when the game is over and lost" is the biggest problem, oh and ,"don't worry I've got Ozzy to bring on in the 60th minute."

We might not stay up but I'm sure we'd at least resemble a team that know what they're doing and can demonstrate the fundamental basics of football. Anything is better than this pathetic dogshit.

If that’s the type of performance having an out of depth manager can bring. I’d take a chance on not having a manager at all…at least till the end of the season…How much worst could it get?

As Tony Kaufman says....Good passages of play then disappears. Berge has only played well in less than a dozen games across the time he spent with us. We have had MGW Didsy and Ndiaye as our better players. They wanted the ball and tried to make things happen.
It's interesting to note that the less games someone plays for us the better people rate them. Brewster RND and McBurnie being prime examples. We all hoped that Berge would be a terrific signing. My view is that the way the current squad are playing they would make Dean Hammond look good.
Either way it's not a big issue discussing past players. The big issue is what happens next.

Reading this forum is like me 6 weeks ago when I was saying this.

Hecky is destroying his own legacy with us. It’s so sad to see a man who rescued us from potential disaster with Slav to get us into the playoffs, then achieve a remarkable promotion the season after, tarnish his reputation with the fans. But talking as an ardent Hecky supporter, I feel now he has to go…and as quickly as possible, before it gets nasty.

Do we have a board? Yusef, Van Winkel and maybe Bettis and Princey? 😂 😂

Assuming it's fucking Wilder if some are against it. It'll be most uninspiring management appointment since Adkins.

I’ve been a Hecky supporter up to the last few weeks. It’s true that he’s been dealt a dodgy hand by the owner. However I now feel he is a defeatist. In his interviews he says we cannot compete with our rivals and seems to throw in the towel before we have even started. It’s almost as if he’s saying our squad is crap and we’ve just got to sit in try not to lose without contemplating how we can win. The example has to be yesterday picking the side which started at Brighton. We were atrocious first half there and it was only substitutions and to a greater extent the sending off which changed the game. Everyone could see the futility of this line up but not Hecky. Great respect for what he’s achieved over the last two years but he’s coming across as scared and not knowing what to do to change things up. I wonder if this has baffled the players as they don’t seem to have the heart to play in the manner which Hecky is asking them. It must be demoralising as a player when your manager is telling the press that you’re not as good as the opposition. It’s cowardly football, when we should be courageous and at least go down fighting with a roar rather than just a whimper. For this reason I’ve changed my mind and hecky has to go.
Basically what Chris Wilder did in the last disastrous season we had at this level - got the excuses ready before a ball gets kicked and does the same thing every week but expecting a different outcome.

Other than Hamer and Archer, we haven't signed anybody better than we had last season and is compounded by losing Ndiaye too.

We were too late to make a change last time out and if we lose at Burnley, then it's time for a change while there's still some faint hope that we could get out of the shit.

I think it's time for him to go not just for our own sake, but his own too! If he was sacked now he'd still leave held in pretty high regard for turning it round after Jokanovic and getting us promoted.

But the way we're setting up with Norwood and Souza in front of a back 5 usually leads to a back 7 with no ability to play out and then we just lump it forward for 90 minutes to 3 midgets. We've lost so many games this season where we haven't even laid a glove on the opponent and I'm getting sick of us not even making it a competitive game. Setting up like that at home to Bournemouth was criminal and 1-3 flatters us.

We all know he's not been backed and I think after the summer transfer window most were predicting we'd go down but I think we all thought we would at least have a bit of fight in us!

It's not even like it's just this season. A lot of last season we had no obvious shape or patterns of play and then Ndiaye would just do something spectacular to create something.

Luton are an example of what I was hoping we would be, aggressive, committed and hard to beat. The problem with playing defensive football is that none of our wing-backs or central midfielders can defend. Souza and Norwood make me nostalgic for Monty and Leighterwood, who whilst often looking like giraffes trying to stamp on a beach ball, at least understood that their main role was to protect the defence from midfield runners
To add to this. I think they've brought in 2 good players with plenty of experience in Barkley & Townsend. Proven quality players who yes might be a little later on in their own careers but a lot better than players we’ve signed. How could we not be picking players up like this?

To add to this. I think they've brought in 2 good players with plenty of experience in Barkley & Townsend. Proven quality players who yes might be a little later on in their own careers but a lot better than players we’ve signed. How could we not be picking players up like this?
Only answer I can give which we all know is the recruitment team (whoever they are?) There worse than shite mate!!

Reading this forum is like me 6 weeks ago when I was saying this.

I was saying this last season but had to laugh to myself because we were nearly always winning.
My issue last season is that in almost every match, we had 15-20 minute spells where we looked terrible
and couldn't string 3 passes together, no composure, just boot it up field but this was ignored because we won.

At the time I was worried how our standards could drop but no mention of this in Hecky's post match interview
and the next match we'd do the same, solid/ average for most of the match, play some really good passing football for 15 minutes,
then play some terrible football for 15 minutes playing hoofball football unable to make short passes to feet. Another point last season is that we almost had a cheat code in N'Diaye because he was always capable of scoring a goal from nothing.

This season we've been a long way behind the Bassett, Warnock and Wilder relegation teams.
Bournemouth didn't look a division above us, they looked a clear 2 divisions above us, our team don't even look Championship standard.
Also the weird thing is we can't blame inconsistency, we are actually very consistent.
We look like a set of decent players who met each other for the 1st time yesterday, so they don't know each others game
and aren't sure what they are supposed to do, we player as individuals instead of being a team.
Regards midfield, it doesn't function, there's zero pass and move, no in game set plays showing evidence of learnt training drills.

You see it so often, when ever Norwood receives the ball, he just boots it up field asking Archer to run after it.
This is easy pickings for the opposition defence, so we lose possession again. When ever we have a kick-off Norwood boots it high to the wings, their defender always wins the ball, so even from our own kick-off we instantly lose possession, why can't Hecky see this?

McAtee and Hamer are excellent in possession but this season they spend most of the game out of possession chasing the ball.
We need to play to players strengths, we have no pattern of play, when we are being pressed our players panic and boot it long.
So many issues, not being addressed, that are controllable by the manager.

Last edited:
I like PH but he's way out of his depth and needs replacing ASAP. Get someone else in who can bring their own staff, have a good look at the shite they're working with and make plans for a strong Championship campaign next season.

While I obviously want a change I don't want it for the sake of it. The next appointment would either have to be short term or willing to join a club the owner wants to sell and with zero budget or hope
In that case probably Warnock or Sam A. The former has a crap record of PL survival though.

Back
Top Bottom