CONFIRMED Harry Maguire - Signed for Hull City

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When I see fans urging the club to offer whatever one of our players wants it reminds me of the summer of 2010. Blackwell was desperate to avoid losing Morgan and Montgomery to Warnock's QPR, so told the club to sign them on at any cost. They + Richard Cresswell were given huge wages on three year deals, despite them all being 30ish and not the flair players you normally give your top wages to. Fans in general applauded the news, but it turned out to be another contribution to our downfall with neither player coming close to giving value for money.

I reckon we now have a carefully planned wage structure. I suggest we stick to it. We'll be a third tier team for the fourth successive season and may have to accept that we can't compete with Championship clubs in terms of wages.

If Maguire won't sign what we've offered it'll be up to Clough to decide if he thinks we'll be better off with one last season of Maguire's services, or the cash from a sale. Unlike in 2010 we now have a sensible guy in charge as manager and I think that reduces the chance of us doing something crazy.

Have I missed something? Since when has it been allowable for another club to discuss contracts with our player? I thought this was 'tapping up' and incurred much ire and wrath.

Don't mind selling him aslong as we get a decent offer actually.A centre half is alot easier to replace than lets say a goalscorer or someone of an attacking threat.

Did i say goalscorer?I can't wait to get a proven goalscorer,that will be the day.

I wouldn't worry too much.about random journos sending out tweets, its nothing that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere.

Imo, I would be surprised if Harry is holding out for more money thsn offerred, it goes against everything he has said in the past, and from what genuine ITKers tell us (Bert on BM for instance) its not what motivates him.

Seems there is still a lot of speculation at this point, but I remain hopeful. From what I hear he is still on holiday anyway, or has only just got back. I reckon things will move on Monday.

I wouldn't worry too much.about random journos sending out tweets, its nothing that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere.

Imo, I would be surprised if Harry is holding out for more money thsn offerred, it goes against everything he has said in the past, and from what genuine ITKers tell us (Bert on BM for instance) its not what motivates him.

Seems there is still a lot of speculation at this point, but I remain hopeful. From what I hear he is still on holiday anyway, or has only just got back. I reckon things will move on Monday.
Cloughs been on holiday this week as well so where all the new stories have come from this week, who knows!

I'd take anything he said on the stag do in benidorm, it was Lowton's I believe, with a prince of salt. I know someone asked him if it was true that he was going to Man U and he said it was. It isn't but I'm surprised it's not been reported by the twatterati.

When I see fans urging the club to offer whatever one of our players wants it reminds me of the summer of 2010. Blackwell was desperate to avoid losing Morgan and Montgomery to Warnock's QPR, so told the club to sign them on at any cost. They + Richard Cresswell were given huge wages on three year deals, despite them all being 30ish and not the flair players you normally give your top wages to. Fans in general applauded the news, but it turned out to be another contribution to our downfall with neither player coming close to giving value for money.

You are right to criticise these moves (though I think the Morgan re-signing was defensible - we were unlucky with his injury) but Maguire is not Monty, who could have been effectively replaced for peanuts, or Cresswell, who was on the slide , locked into a deal already, and a support player. Maguire is 21 years old, is likely to get better, and plays in a key position - next to someone who is much older and more likely to decline. Maguire is the sort of player you do try to lock up long term. He can give value for money.

And If he will not sign, I would hope that we at least hang onto Maguire until January and see how things go.

And if you get rid og Maguire, his replacement better be really good, or we aint conceding less than a goal a game again, which means we need to score even more goals to get promoted...

IF he wants to go, let him go. We obviously do not know the ins and outs of what he is actually thinking and it all based on pure speculation but if a player wants to leave, then let him go.

Why would we hold on to him for the last year of his contract? He is hardly going to be a happy figure around the dressing room, putting in 110% like we are used to if he wants out and we refuse to let him leave is he? We may as well cash in on him now and buy a replacement. Nigel is building a squad capable of taking us up through the leagues, I imagine a large part of that will be down to team bonding / morale in the squad, the last thing we want is an unhappy player disrupting that, being off form due to happiness and then losing him for nowt at the end of the season when we could have sold him and used the funds to replace him.

I know people will drag out the argument that he is under contract, should still put in his all etc etc but as with anyone, in any line of work, if you are unhappy with your current role, your work if affected.

If Harry genuinely does not want to be part of the future of SUFC and what Nigel is building then send him on his way (for the right price) and thank him for his efforts, if he wants to stay then superb, get him signed up but lets no go busting the bank and wage structure to keep him, as has been said, defenders are much easier to replace than other positions in the squad, especially at this level.

IF he wants to go, let him go. We obviously do not know the ins and outs of what he is actually thinking and it all based on pure speculation but if a player wants to leave, then let him go.

Why would we hold on to him for the last year of his contract? He is hardly going to be a happy figure around the dressing room, putting in 110% like we are used to if he wants out and we refuse to let him leave is he? We may as well cash in on him now and buy a replacement. Nigel is building a squad capable of taking us up through the leagues, I imagine a large part of that will be down to team bonding / morale in the squad, the last thing we want is an unhappy player disrupting that, being off form due to happiness and then losing him for nowt at the end of the season when we could have sold him and used the funds to replace him.

I know people will drag out the argument that he is under contract, should still put in his all etc etc but as with anyone, in any line of work, if you are unhappy with your current role, your work if affected.

If Harry genuinely does not want to be part of the future of SUFC and what Nigel is building then send him on his way (for the right price) and thank him for his efforts, if he wants to stay then superb, get him signed up but lets no go busting the bank and wage structure to keep him, as has been said, defenders are much easier to replace than other positions in the squad, especially at this level.

I'd imagine he wants to stay but say we've offered £12K/week and Wolves offer £18.5K/week, who on here would turn down over £300K/year on a three year deal.

How many of you can chuck away best part of 3/4 of £1M?

Get real, he's a goner but that should not reflect on his attitude or desire to play for us.

It's easy for some of us to say that players should be loyal, but they are not die hard SUFC fans. Remember that football is a job. And when you are offered a job that pays significantly better than the one you're currently at then its a no brainer. However, if it is Wolves who acquire his services then I can't help but think its the wrong move. He isn't guaranteed a starting place that's for sure.

Let's also not forget he's participated in some of the best games we've witnessed for a while. I salute him for that.

What if Wednesday or Rotherham offer £200K and Maguire says he wants to move there because it's local.
Everything you said above still applies but would you still be happy to release him because that's what he wants?
Where do you draw the line with the "let him go if he wants to leave" argument?

I would say keep our new contract offer on the table until such time as we receive a bid that's worth taking.
That's more than £1M in my view but ultimately that decision should be Clough's not the money men and not Maguire's.

I'd imagine he wants to stay but say we've offered £12K/week and Wolves offer £18.5K/week, who on here would turn down over £300K/year on a three year deal.

How many of you can chuck away best part of 3/4 of £1M?

Get real, he's a goner but that should not reflect on his attitude or desire to play for us.

Well said that man, which is why united are trying to sign Butler. Some on here, die-hards I think they're called, suggested that the reason for Butler coming here was to replace Collins. Sometimes the obvious seems a little too difficult to comprehend. I think the best we can hope for is that Clough uses his man management skills to persuade Harry that this season will be make or break for Maguire and united, so if we get success his future should remain here, with an improved contract of course. Other than that, the guy is soon to be an ex blade.

What if Wednesday or Rotherham offer £200K and Maguire says he wants to move there because it's local.
Everything you said above still applies but would you still be happy to release him because that's what he wants?
Where do you draw the line with the "let him go if he wants to leave" argument?

I would say keep our new contract offer on the table until such time as we receive a bid that's worth taking.
That's more than £1M in my view but ultimately that decision should be Clough's not the money men and not Maguire's.

I am not saying for 1 minute sell him on the cheap merely because he wants to go. apologies if that's how it came accross, it has to be right for all parties involved, was more aimed at people saying "Force him to see out the last year of his contract" etc which in the real world is the worst option for all concerned.

As for which club he goes to, I could not give 2 shit, be it Rotherham, Wendies, Wolves or Bognor chuffin Regis. The club we sell to has no bearing on my thoughts, I care about United, nobody else. As long as the money is right and the player does want to go and is not just playing silly bollocks for a better contract with us, then I trust Nigel to bring in the right replacement that fits in with his ethos. Regardless of the past, I can't see united selling him on the cheap or selling him without the player indicating he wants to go.

I'm not to fussed if we lose Maguire. We need a striker more than we need Maguire. CB's are easy to come by. An average CB you can get away with, an average Striker you can't.

We need a prolific striker and somebody to partner Collins.

Maguire is a better CB than the ones at Brentford & Rotherham and maybe better than Wolves'. However, Chris Porter is no Agard, Dicko or Donaldson.

It's ok keeping a tight defence but as Rotherham, Wolves and Liverpool have proved this season, it's better to just outscore the opposition, whether you need 1 or 5 goals per game.

SSN saying we've turned £1m down. Won't be long until he's gone now, shame, he could have a long well paid future here and probably the captains armband

SSN saying we've turned £1m down. Won't be long until he's gone now, shame, he could have a long well paid future here and probably the captains armband
Well that's a load of BS. Nigel and HM are both on holiday. Who exactly has turned down the £1m?

As I said in the post earlier in the thread we will not be accepting £1m, they will need to at least double it, now we wait for bids from others, this is just the start and we need to push this as far as we can, close to £3m would not be a bad price in my opinion.

As I said in the post earlier in the thread we will not be accepting £1m, they will need to at least double it, now we wait for bids from others, this is just the start and we need to push this as far as we can, close to £3m would not be a bad price in my opinion.

Answer is to tell his agent that if he's moving on then get him on the open market and get those bids in.

Waste of time dealing with just Wolves; let's see how much they do want him.

The thing is this has dragged on long enough now and is becoming reminiscent of when McDonald and Williamson were holding Danny Wilson to ransom. All this "will he sign - won't he sign" is damaging the club in more than one way, how many fans are holding off investing in a season ticket until the club demonstrates it is either still a selling club at the first sign of any interest in our player or that times have changed and we try our best to hold on to any quality we possess. I know some will shout all clubs are selling clubs and while I agree other clubs only let good players go for eye watering fees .............. why don't we ? While all this is dragging on it must be causing a bit of unrest in the dressing room for the rest seeing the player of the year not committing to the push to get promotion next season. How long do we wait for Harry to make his mind up ? While he is thinking about it we are in danger of losing out on decent replacements should Harry eventually decide to move elsewhere. Time for the board to show some bollocks and say either sign or we withdraw the offer, no one man is bigger than the club, if Harry don't want the shirt lets get a decent replacement in as soon as possible.

The thing is this has dragged on long enough now and is becoming reminiscent of when McDonald and Williamson were holding Danny Wilson to ransom. All this "will he sign - won't he sign" is damaging the club in more than one way, how many fans are holding off investing in a season ticket until the club demonstrates it is either still a selling club at the first sign of any interest in our player or that times have changed and we try our best to hold on to any quality we possess. I know some will shout all clubs are selling clubs and while I agree other clubs only let good players go for eye watering fees .............. why don't we ? While all this is dragging on it must be causing a bit of unrest in the dressing room for the rest seeing the player of the year not committing to the push to get promotion next season. How long do we wait for Harry to make his mind up ? While he is thinking about it we are in danger of losing out on decent replacements should Harry eventually decide to move elsewhere. Time for the board to show some bollocks and say either sign or we withdraw the offer, no one man is bigger than the club, if Harry don't want the shirt lets get a decent replacement in as soon as possible.

While I agree with the general sentiment of the post (i.e. we need Harry to make his mind up one way or t'other and then move on), I think saying it's dragged on long enough is a touch harsh. We're only a couple of weeks past the end of the season and so there's plenty of time to either get Harry to sign, or sell him and find replacement. Especially if we have the very capable Butler coming in.

You are right to criticise these moves (though I think the Morgan re-signing was defensible - we were unlucky with his injury) but Maguire is not Monty, who could have been effectively replaced for peanuts, or Cresswell, who was on the slide , locked into a deal already, and a support player. Maguire is 21 years old, is likely to get better, and plays in a key position - next to someone who is much older and more likely to decline. Maguire is the sort of player you do try to lock up long term. He can give value for money.

And If he will not sign, I would hope that we at least hang onto Maguire until January and see how things go.

And if you get rid og Maguire, his replacement better be really good, or we aint conceding less than a goal a game again, which means we need to score even more goals to get promoted...

I will be very sorry to see him go, if it happens. I think he's a exceptionally strong and very solid centre half and love, and really value, his forward runs on the ball. I also think it's worth pushing the boat out for him, but that only means giving him the maximum wage of our wage structure.

While I agree with the general sentiment of the post (i.e. we need Harry to make his mind up one way or t'other and then move on), I think saying it's dragged on long enough is a touch harsh. We're only a couple of weeks past the end of the season and so there's plenty of time to either get Harry to sign, or sell him and find replacement. Especially if we have the very capable Butler coming in.

You're right of course Houso, even I have succumbed to the idea that Harry will leave. I just have this feeling that the young guy will be sorely tempted to take the Championship shilling and better himself.

If HM does move, it wasn't exactly what I imagined our pre-season team strengthening was meant to be, especially as Brayford and Coady are also gone. The optimism surrounding our drive for promotion might need to be reassessed I fear. If the three players mentioned aren't with us, we'll be a very different team. Maybe we'll be a better, improved united, but those qualities we saw as the basis for something to build on could, instead, see a dismantling job. But you're right mate, it's early, probably twists and turns still to come, so patience and no knee-jerk reactions, and most importantly, I hope we see the Prince give Clough the tools to do his job.

Last edited:

This thread is full of knee-jerk reactions! Some things just take time, and we have to allow that time to pass.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven"

Ecclesiastes 3:3

Since no man knows the future, who can tell him what is to come?

Ecclesiastes 8:7-8

(all from memory of course)

Back
Top Bottom