For all those pointing to the “rules” of VAR...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Unless it's Hendo after the whistle at Wolves, then they try and VAR a penalty from a dead ball.
And there is the worry. It's a fucking farce at the moment and gets shown up for the crock of shit it is every week.

How can players know how to react when the officials are making it up as they go along. Ahhhggg

Unless it's Hendo after the whistle at Wolves, then they try and VAR a penalty from a dead ball.
Or the VAR checking for a possible red card after Flecks fabulous tackle in front of the Blades fans at Wolves. Co-incidentally Sunday’s VAR official was one Mr Stuart Atwell .....

VAR will be a success long term, I’ve no doubts about that. It’s just typical that they makes a hash of it at the start.

You look at how other sports use it and football completely ignore this and do their own thing. If we tried to copy much of how Rugby use it, VAR would be massively better.

I notice the media seem to be critical of our players stopping, including Michael Brown (cheers Browny) but I think that whilst that is a valid point, it'a also equally valid to say that the Linesman made it confusing to say the least by raising his flag on what wasn't a clear call but if he felt it was clear then maybe the ref should have backed him. I won't accept from anyone, Blade or otherwise, that the goal was all our fault.

odd comment 🤷‍♂️

how can be wrong for something that hasnt happened yet. this is the death of the linesman its a process that begun 12 months ago & will end up with no linesman

The linesman flags for corners, throw ins, fouls etc. If you want to get rid of the linesman, then prepare yourself for 20 minutes added time every game while VAR checks every decision.

VAR will be a success long term, I’ve no doubts about that. It’s just typical that they makes a hash of it at the start.

You look at how other sports use it and football completely ignore this and do their own thing. If we tried to copy much of how Rugby use it, VAR would be massively better.
Rugby is a game of occasional action and a lot of standing around. As is tennis, NFL, cricket. And so will football. Be careful what you wish for.

The linesman flags for corners, throw ins, fouls etc. If you want to get rid of the linesman, then prepare yourself for 20 minutes added time every game while VAR checks every decision.

i dont want to get rid of linesman. but stockley park are forcing them out

Rugby is a game of occasional action and a lot of standing around. As is tennis, NFL, cricket. And so will football. Be careful what you wish for.

They need to involve the fans in the decision making process, mic up the ref and talk to the VAR ref while showing the replay. Leave the final decision to the on field ref.

They also need to link the ref’s watch to a countdown timer in the ground. If there is no time lost for VAR, then it takes the pressure off and makes it less likely they will rush the decision. This would also help with time wasting, why fake an injury if the clock has stopped? Why take your time leaving the pitch when everyone can see the clock has stopped?

If the match finishes 15 minutes later, then so be it, why is it an issue staying at the match a bit longer?

If used correctly VAR can and will become a success long term IMO. The problem is the tinkering with football rules (I.e it’s handball if a striker does it accidentally but not a defender) and more so the fact that our referees just can’t make there minds up just how to interpret VAR. They switch from one week to the next and nobody has a fuckin clue where we stand right now. 1st phase, second phase, flag up, keep it down etc..... Mike Riley has made a real rod for his own back and now hasn’t the bollocks to admit he’s fucked up. If we aren’t careful it will ruin the very game it was meant to help

VAR is bollocks and always will be.

VAR needs getting rid of asap,it’s a total farce.
For their 2nd goal the flag goes up ref doesn’t blow even when players stop,because of the linesman’s flag going up,later on when the flag goes up he blows straight away???
The disallowed ‘goal’ at Spurs was a ridiculous decision and would have stood last season.
It’s a joke 😡😡😡

in a few years they will be gone or massively marginalised

i suspect in under 10 years time, broadcasters will provide 1000+ fps technology at resolutions that will render the frame rate/compression argument against VAR moot.

But I also suspect IFAB will continue to create offside rules so Byzantine that no Artificial intelligence could correctly call them.

Nowt to do with VAR. All VAR did is show that the linesman was wrong. Of course, the linesman should not have flagged, but given that he did, the ref should have trusted his linesman's judgement and stopped the game before the chance on goal. That's the long and short of it. Complete fuck ups from both of those officials tonight. Linesman should have kept his flag down, allowing the game to continue it's natural course without defenders thinking the game is about to be stopped. Then if the goal still goes in, only then should a VAR check be undertaken on the offside.

As it turned out the ref was right but the issue is that on every other occasion the ref blew his whistle for offside when the flag went up. He wasn't in line on this crucial call so he was just guessing when he allowed play to go on. I thought he was going to book Shelvey.
As to the Blades, we played really well first half and but for their goalie we would have had a couple of goals at least. I was not surprised Wilder changed the starting line up. McBurnie had three great headers tonight and Sharp did ok too. Mousset's speed would not have been as vital against two banks of 5 so he perhaps thought the height of McBurnie and Sharp's poaching instincts would work. Without the goalie it would have done. We ran out of ideas a bit in the last 20 minutes but Newcastle slowd the game down, fell on the floor etc to run the clock down.

......the ref should have trusted his linesman's judgement and stopped the game before the chance on goal. That's the long and short of it.

That’s not what the VAR directive says, I’m afraid. It doesn’t matter whether the Lino flags or not, the ref is required to let play continue until the goal scoring opportunity has passed.

That’s not what the VAR directive says, I’m afraid. It doesn’t matter whether the Lino flags or not, the ref is required to let play continue until the goal scoring opportunity has passed.
If that's what the VAR directive says then fair enough. However, it doesn't change the fact that it's not VAR at fault here, it's the linesman who should not have flagged. If he thought it was offside, then surely he should have waited for the goal scoring opportunity to pass.

Nowt to do with VAR. All VAR did is show that the linesman was wrong. Of course, the linesman should not have flagged, but given that he did, the ref should have trusted his linesman's judgement and stopped the game before the chance on goal. That's the long and short of it. Complete fuck ups from both of those officials tonight. Linesman should have kept his flag down, allowing the game to continue it's natural course without defenders thinking the game is about to be stopped. Then if the goal still goes in, only then should a VAR check be undertaken on the offside.

The controversy for me is awarding a goal that no fucker in the stadium expected to be given.

The officials' actions affected the phase of play and even if the overall decision was correct by the letter of the law, when such a bollock is dropped nobody would have been taking the opportunity to slag off VAR if a dropped ball had happened or the offside given immediately.

There are occasions when I think common sense to maintain the spirit of the rules should take priority over the rigidity of a rulebook. I know some will disagree, but offside was never meant to call whether a toe or armpit was offside and this is one area where I think the spirit of the rules should be applied.

I dont think United would have scored if they'd have played till Christmas, so I don't think the outcome of the match was changed but it's only served to disillusion fans and raise further calls for VAR to be scrapped. VAR for me in its current implementation is a vanity project to implement rules in ways that could never be forseen without technology just because we can. As a spectator, I prefered the game without it.

They need to involve the fans in the decision making process, mic up the ref and talk to the VAR ref while showing the replay. Leave the final decision to the on field ref.

They also need to link the ref’s watch to a countdown timer in the ground. If there is no time lost for VAR, then it takes the pressure off and makes it less likely they will rush the decision. This would also help with time wasting, why fake an injury if the clock has stopped? Why take your time leaving the pitch when everyone can see the clock has stopped?

If the match finishes 15 minutes later, then so be it, why is it an issue staying at the match a bit longer?

The final decision is up to the onfield ref. VAR is just advisory. Refs are scared to go against the VAR ref because they have the benefit of video. The man on the pitch and the fourth official should be able to review that, with the benefit of technology as to where the line is drawn. We have no idea of its accuracy.

That hardly happens. The flag goes up, that’s it. Whistle goes. If you’re correct, the rules aren’t being applied properly.

I haven’t read all this thread, but the way I see it, if the linesman puts his flag up the ref must blow his whistle and its offside, because the linesman’s certain. If it turns out to be a wrong call, everyone says sorry and the linesman finds himself in the Conference.

Stuart Attwell didn't hesitate to blow for any other single offside decision made by his assistants throughout the entirety of the game. So how does he decide which decision to support and which to overrule?

I know the official directive to linesman was that when VAR is available they should not flag for offsides unless they are clear and obvious. I honestly think Shelvey thought he was offside but carried on just to waste some time and take the piss.

It’s probably a moot point anyway, because we wouldn’t have scored an equaliser, even if we’d still been playing now 😩

Seen the replay of it now a few times. Absolutely shocking from us. Play to the fucking whistle. Must be in a minority here.

Irrelevant anyway as we could’ve gone on for another 3 hours and not scored.

Seen the replay of it now a few times. Absolutely shocking from us. Play to the fucking whistle. Must be in a minority here.

Irrelevant anyway as we could’ve gone on for another 3 hours and not scored.
This.

Also, Shelvey was clean through on goal, flag or not. None of our defenders were close to him. And looking back, he takes the chance far more seriously than I remembered and celebrates by tapping his head like he was still switched on
Watch here:

That hardly happens. The flag goes up, that’s it. Whistle goes. If you’re correct, the rules aren’t being applied properly.
I've heard Shelvey has said Atwell told them all before the game if someone is though on goal he will play on.

The final decision is up to the onfield ref. VAR is just advisory. Refs are scared to go against the VAR ref because they have the benefit of video. The man on the pitch and the fourth official should be able to review that, with the benefit of technology as to where the line is drawn. We have no idea of its accuracy.

That’s the problem, the on field refs haven’t seen a replay so can only follow the advice of VAR.

As for the accuracy of the offside technology, every club is judged to the same standards so it’s fair. Yes it’s frustrating when you get a close one go against you, but that’s football, no doubt one will go for us this season.

Back
Top Bottom