Heckinbottom charged for having an opinion

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Addison

Reaction score
"My frustration isn’t with that moment in that game, my frustration and anger is that we see that every game and I’m having conversations with the referees all the time. Emails backwards and forwards.

"Look back at every game and you see it happening. This is the perfect example. Macca [James McAtee] goes past, gets dragged down, stays on his feet, has another go, stays on his feet. There’s an advantage played, we lose the ball in less than four seconds, Boro get the ball and score.

"I’m not moaning about this game but if Macca goes down we get the foul and the lad gets booked. We see this against us all the time. I just hate the way the game is going with that. They’re my frustrations. It’s not just this moment in the game, but it’s a great example of what we’re talking about. The referees agree with me from the emails back and forward."

I see nothing wrong in what PH has said above but apparently not only is he being charged by the FA for kicking the fourth officials board, rightly so in this instance, he's getting hauled over the coals for expressing his opinion on the problems with players diving in the game. Managers are no longer allowed to question the interpretation of rules that are being applied by refs who it seems are agreeing with PH.

Little old SUFC aren't allowed to do this but Arteta in the EPL can go ballistic about VAR leading to Mason leaving his job. Double standards. Odds on we get nothing from officials for the rest of the season. As a club we should just shut up shop in post match interviews and limit them to yes/no answers.

"My frustration isn’t with that moment in that game, my frustration and anger is that we see that every game and I’m having conversations with the referees all the time. Emails backwards and forwards.

"Look back at every game and you see it happening. This is the perfect example. Macca [James McAtee] goes past, gets dragged down, stays on his feet, has another go, stays on his feet. There’s an advantage played, we lose the ball in less than four seconds, Boro get the ball and score.

"I’m not moaning about this game but if Macca goes down we get the foul and the lad gets booked. We see this against us all the time. I just hate the way the game is going with that. They’re my frustrations. It’s not just this moment in the game, but it’s a great example of what we’re talking about. The referees agree with me from the emails back and forward."

I see nothing wrong in what PH has said above but apparently not only is he being charged by the FA for kicking the fourth officials board, rightly so in this instance, he's getting hauled over the coals for expressing his opinion on the problems with players diving in the game. Managers are no longer allowed to question the interpretation of rules that are being applied by refs who it seems are agreeing with PH.

Little old SUFC aren't allowed to do this but Arteta in the EPL can go ballistic about VAR leading to Mason leaving his job. Double standards. Odds on we get nothing from officials for the rest of the season. As a club we should just shut up shop in post match interviews and limit them to yes/no answers.
Yes we should. Very annoying time for PH to start being honest in interviews. Tell your players to start winning free kicks properly and play to the rules as the are. Yes they are shit rules but moaning about it every week isn't going to change them

Yes we should. Very annoying time for PH to start being honest in interviews. Tell your players to start winning free kicks properly and play to the rules as the are. Yes they are shit rules but moaning about it every week isn't going to change them
His players tried on Saturday and were ribbed by Andy Hinchcliffe for throwing themselves to the ground under minimal contact. We can't win.

I'm not sure Hinchcliffe gets to award points (luckily). Practice it then. Get better at it. Best bet, watch every dive Bash has tried and do the opposite
I kind of agree but I'd rather the players practice being good at football than throwing themselves to the floor.

I also don't think there's much scope in training for practicing a 'reducer' on the halfway line, either you can do it or you can't.

His players tried on Saturday and were ribbed by Andy Hinchcliffe for throwing themselves to the ground under minimal contact. We can't win.
I wouldn’t be concerned in the slightest at anything that prat says ever. It was clear on Saturday that falling down was the way to go providing you were Millwall, not even under a challenge, just falling down.

I kind of agree but I'd rather the players practice being good at football than throwing themselves to the floor.

I also don't think there's much scope in training for practicing a 'reducer' on the halfway line, either you can do it or you can't.
I would rather that. But if that's the choice PH has made, stop moaning about it

I just mean practice falling over

I would rather that. But if that's the choice PH has made, stop moaning about it

I just mean practice falling over
I don't think I'm moaning about it, I'm just saying that we're not very good at it but also that I don't think practicing falling over in training is the best use of our resources.

I don't think I'm moaning about it, I'm just saying that we're not very good at it but also that I don't think practicing falling over in training is the best use of our resources.
I don't think you are. Meant PH finding post match truth serum.

Winning freekicks in dangerous positions feels like a decent use of resources to me. Even winning them so we don't get countered like against Boro would be ok

How Hecky's post match interview should have gone.

"The referee was amazing, the way he played advantage after that foul was amazing. The 4th official was amazing and my foot hitting his board felt amazing. The opposition were amazing. Everything about losing to Boro was amazing. It was an amazing match and the fans will have been amazed."

I don't think you are. Meant PH finding post match truth serum.

Winning freekicks in dangerous positions feels like a decent use of resources to me. Even winning them so we don't get countered like against Boro would be ok
If I thought practicing falling over would win us free kicks in dangerous positions (or any position for that matter) then I'd be all for it, I just don't think it will.

My initial thought is that if the referees are agreeing with him why don't they blow up for the fouls? It is alright saying they are not allowed to or they will be in trouble with assessors but if they really do agree with him they should be raising the matter to their superiors.

Minor point but Heckingbottom has been charged for "improper and/or violent conduct" for the sending off and "improper" behaviour after being sent off. Nothing to do with his post match interview. I'd imagine he was forthright in his opinions to Marriner on his refereeing.

That's very different to Sharp's comments.
I don't see any problem with criticising a referees performance. Implying bias is where the line should be drawn and he hasn't done that.

Heckingbottom should be most angry about not being able to play the game after being in management for years, you get fuck all for being honest and staying on your feet...

People want to argue about Jack Grealish going down, and why Man City paid 100m, one of the reasons is possession gained from free kicks, any contact he goes down, and city take the ball, killing momentum or offering a threat. That's why, 100s of times a season..

"if you can't beat them (and that's been very clear for ages) join them"

Odds on we get nothing from officials for the rest of the season
It was noticeable how easy United were going down v Millwall. Was almost like they'd been told to do so following Hecky's "outburst". Problem was, they clearly have never been coached into how to cheat so rightly so, every time we went down too easy, it looked like a dive and was waved on.
Looked a tad embarrassing.

Arteta in the EPL can go ballistic about VAR leading to Mason leaving his job. Double standards. Odds on we get nothing from officials for the rest of the season. As a club we should just shut up shop in post match interviews and limit them to yes/no answers.

and the common factor.

When clubs lose or draw.....the managers (feel the pressure) and fans seem to notice referee decisions but when they win nothing is said. As already said...don't bother complaining about it. If you think the challenge is hard....then go down, it's hardly rocket science and I suspect Hecky already knows this but chooses to make excuses.

Some football decisions, like fouls aren't an exact science.
Experts on TV can study the slow mo with a dozen different angles and they still won't agree whether it's a fair challenge or a foul.

The fact is there are several 50/50 decisions every single match so by definition...who ever doesn't get the decision will feel aggrieved.

Minor point but Heckingbottom has been charged for "improper and/or violent conduct" for the sending off and "improper" behaviour after being sent off. Nothing to do with his post match interview. I'd imagine he was forthright in his opinions to Marriner on his refereeing.
I may have imagined it but i swear i saw Hecky kicking the electronic substitute board. that may have been his improper behaviour.

It was noticeable how easy United were going down v Millwall. Was almost like they'd been told to do so following Hecky's "outburst". Problem was, they clearly have never been coached into how to cheat so rightly so, every time we went down too easy, it looked like a dive and was waved on.

Agree and McBurnie is the worse for falling down....he's been doing it for years.
Sharp does it quite alot too, backs in to them, sticks his bum out, wait for the challenge, then fall down to win a free kick....he's pretty good at it.

You would have thought when Jason Tindall was here a couple of years ago, they would have all received proper coaching then.

We should never give up on expressing an opinion. Nothing will change if everyone keeps quiet.
I agree that his general comment should not lead to any charge, although it is a direct criticism of the referee on that one point.
In my view the ref was correct, but as PH says if Macca goes down the situation becomes totally different.

Back
Top Bottom