Match Thread EFL Cup Round 2 - Sheffield United v. Lincoln City - 30th August 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
LINC
LINC
LINC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1693228401953.png vs. 1693228408491.png

EFL Cup 2nd Round - Wednesday 30th August 2023 - 19:45 - Bramall Lane
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-lincoln-city.695/

Officials:

Referee: Paul Tierney
Assistants: Neil Davies, Scott Ledger
Fourth Official: Anthony Backhouse

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

None as yet.​

This whole competition should be scrapped in my opinion. Most clubs just use it as an extra friendly at the start of the season these days. The big clubs completely dominate it year after year because their squads are good enough to play the reserves and still go far. What was the last memorable League Cup run from a lower league club? Us under Clough?

If it didn't already exist, nobody would dream of inventing this competition now
agree with that this has very little bearing on saturday. i always talk about 2019 season we got outplayed by barnet in fa cup in similar crowd. but then only lost 1 of next 13 games

but i would still keep the league cup because people still care about it in the latter stages its still a trophy & wembley final. bit like the conference league how much did west ham care about it in groups. but nobody was talking about mickey mouse when bowen got the winner to the lift the trophy that felt like the champions league

i thought for a few years. it could be interesting to have a revamp. if or when the teams in european completion want to drop out. merge them have a British league cup. could be good to have sheff utd play aberdeen in competitive game

Come back to me when you’re roaring on Satday if we can’t beat league 1 Lincoln and Prem no hopers Everton. We needed a performance and result tonight to build morale.
I dont 'roar' over losing a game of football as I'm a grown up. I'm also a realist and tonight will have zero negative impact on professional footballers. I can tell you this as I have played alongside plenty of ex pros during my younger years.

agree with that this has very little bearing on saturday. i always talk about 2019 season we got outplayed by barnet in fa cup in similar crowd. but then only lost 1 of next 13 games

but i would still keep the league cup because people still care about it in the latter stages its still a trophy & wembley final. bit like the conference league how much did west ham care about it in groups. but nobody was talking about mickey mouse when bowen got the winner to the lift the trophy that felt like the champions league

i thought for a few years. it could be interesting to have a revamp. if or when the teams in european completion want to drop out. merge them have a British league cup. could be good to have sheff utd play aberdeen in competitive game

I think my main issue is how it's essentially a reserve team tournament now until the later rounds. Even the lower League clubs make changes. The list of recent winners is quite something. In the last 10 years, Man City have won it six times, Man Utd twice, Chelsea once and Liverpool once. It seems almost impossible for someone outside the big 6 to win it these days.

I think my main issue is how it's essentially a reserve team tournament now until the later rounds. Even the lower League clubs make changes. The list of recent winners is quite something. In the last 10 years, Man City have won it six times, Man Utd twice, Chelsea once and Liverpool once. It seems almost impossible for someone outside the big 6 to win it these days.
i think its money & its place at the start of a season, just naturally goes that way.

I dont 'roar' over losing a game of football as I'm a grown up. I'm also a realist and tonight will have zero negative impact on professional footballers. I can tell you this as I have played alongside plenty of ex pros during my younger years.
Ah I’ll bow to the voice of reason. Thank fuck Everton won’t be feeling better after beating Donny and their new striker didn’t score.

Nathan Hemmingham Sheffield United reporter

1693441463868.jpeg

Adam Davies 6: Had very little to do. Showed good positioning and safe hands to get behind a curling effort in the first half.

Chris Basham 6: All-action display from the experienced defender. Broke from defence, carrying the ball into midfield on numerous occasions.

John Egan 6: Comfortable evening for the skipper. Got in a really good header not long into the second half, reading an attack well and then got an important block in on Teddy Bishop who broke and went for goal. Will feel he should have done much better, possibly even opened the scoring, with a free header from Norwood's free-kick that he headed down into the ground and wide.

Auston Trusty 6: Stood up well and got a block in on Reeco Hackett midway through the first half and then read play well to rob Daniel Mandroiu of the ball on halfway and intercept. Bishop got in on his blindside in the second half after being slipped in but luckily the pass evaded him and he couldn't get a good connection on his shot. First chance to have a look at him in a Sheffield United shirt and looks strong physically. Defended well.

Jayden Bogle 6: Saw plenty of the ball down the right side and there were occasions where he showed really good feet to either keep the attack alive or get out of trouble deep inside his own half.

Oliver Norwood 7: United's best player. Constantly making himself available to get on the ball. Spreading play both sides and took responsibility. Got United into some good positions. Then delivered an excellent free-kick for Egan that was perfect for the skipper to attack.

Ismaila Coulibaly 5: Kept it simple in midfield alongside Norwood. Not everything came off for him, with one example of that being in the second half when he did well to win possession and then drove forward, holding off the challenge of two players but ran out of steam and was dispossessed. Lincoln broke but Egan came to the rescue.

Andre Brooks 5: Looks comfortable on the ball and was the midfielder charged with getting forward to support the attack. Appeared to take a knock in the first half and was replaced at half-time.

Yasser Larouci 5: Showed moments of promise in the attacking third when he was a threat with his pace and direct play and did really well on the recovery with Lincoln breaking from a United corner to get back and break up the attack. Still looks a little panicky at times and does not look fully comfortable yet. Guilty of giving the ball away on occasions or being caught in possession. Still a work in progress.

Oliver McBurnie 5: Dropped off into the space between midfield and attack, playing a lot with his back to goal, taking the ball into feet as Archer played on the last line of Lincoln's defence. Had an effort blocked in the first half. Replaced at half-time and after his cameo against City, a good 45 minutes in the tank ahead of Everton on Saturday.

Cameron Archer 5: Making his debut and likes to hang on the shoulder of the last man, looking to get in behind and United looked for this route. Busy player that comes alive in and around the area. Had a great chance early in the second half to mark his debut with a goal after Louie Marsh sent him clean through to the left of centre but his effort was saved. Important minutes ahead of Everton and good to have a run-out alongside McBurnie and a platform to work from with their partnership.

Subs

Marsh 5 (Brooks, HT)

Traore 5 (McBurnie, HT)

There were no pluses for me at all .It was utter shite tonight. First shot on goal was the first pen we took.They deserved the win.
Brought me back to many years ago when we were shite and had a crap crowd.
God help us.

I’m one of the 7 then, but if that’s your prediction you’re in cuckoo land more than the interruptive bollocks you spout on that podcast.
Where is Cuckoo land,Switzerland perhaps where the clocks are made🤔.
Funny how accusations levied at other's bollock's are awash with "bollock's".
You should do a podcast yourself mate.Could be well entertaining 👍

City was the exact polar opposite of tonight. Honestly, we didn’t lay a glove on them. A draw that we almost got would have been daylight. No shame in that btw.

I am more concerned with the lack of quality and depth. We are crying out for a 6’4”” CF who is all off quick Strong and knows where the onion bag is.

We don’t have anything close to this.

One of our more obvious rivals have just done in £25m on such a striker. Let me state now that this alone is likely to be the key differentiator on Satdi.

We need upgrades on Norwood. McB, Osula and a few other fringe players and ideally would have maybe half a dozen go out the door tomorrow one way or another with 5 or 6 coming in.

Obs not gonna happen now.

I fear the worst.

UTB
All of these things were said last season when we barely scraped past Wrexham in the first round. We've routinely lost or done pathetic to small league teams in the cup for years.

Few more matches in the league and I'll make my decision but for now I couldn't care less. I do agree though we do need upgrades.

Where is Cuckoo land,Switzerland perhaps where the clocks are made🤔.
Funny how accusations levied at other's bollock's are awash with "bollock's".
You should do a podcast yourself mate.Could be well entertaining 👍
Are you saying that people who talk bollocks should start podcasts? When are you starting yours? Don’t want us vying for the same slot.

All of these things were said last season when we barely scraped past Wrexham in the first round. We've routinely lost or done pathetic to small league teams in the cup for years.

Few more matches in the league and I'll make my decision but for now I couldn't care less. I do agree though we do need upgrades.
Mark these words and come back to me in a few games then.

Releasing Sharp and Enda will prove to have been a big mistake. As it was with Dids.

We are dreadfully short at the top of the pitch with virtually no outlet ball to release pressure on the defenders. It’s just gonna come back at us time after time after time.

Get used to 25% possession statistics !

UTB

But he's Heckys choice for captain , so undroppable
I'd be interested to see our stats when Egan is captain.

I was hoping Baldock would get the armband this season as I don't see Egan being the type of captain that can fire up his teammates when it's needed ie. Like last night.

I say this every year, but those calling for the league cup to be scrapped are resigning every club outside of the top 6, including ours, to never winning a trophy ever again (and it doesn't happen often even with the league cup). It also reduces the chance of ever qualifying for Europe.

All in the name of protecting the squads for the Premier League? A competition which is dominated by the top 6 already, and they benefit most from the fewer games as they're playing in Europe.

I say this every year, but those calling for the league cup to be scrapped are resigning every club outside of the top 6, including ours, to never winning a trophy ever again (and it doesn't happen often even with the league cup). It also reduces the chance of ever qualifying for Europe.

All in the name of protecting the squads for the Premier League? A competition which is dominated by the top 6 already, and they benefit most from the fewer games as they're playing in Europe.
Exactly. So much of football is already run at their convenience.

One of the reasons so many of our fans are indifferent about this competition is we have had a succession of managers who don’t value it.

It would make no difference as in the past 10 years nobody from outside the top 6 has either won the League Cup nor qualified from Europe solely from it.

It would make no difference as in the past 10 years nobody from outside the top 6 has either won the League Cup nor qualified from Europe solely from it.
You seen us in a cup final?

This infuriates me and we've been doing it since our centre backs stopped overlapping. Norwood, Baldock and Osborn seem to be the worst and most consistent offenders.

Despite Hecky constantly talking about catching teams on the break, we always slow it down, turn back, pass amongst the defence, get closed down, pass to Wes who hoofs it to our two isolated strikers and we lose it. Time and time again it happens. The opposition have so much time to get back, regroup and organise that we're constantly outnumbered when we attack instead of trying to outnumber them with a quick break. These tactics simply do not work!
It’s caused by a lack of quality driving forwards. Any incoming players must now be attack minded.

The reason I want it scrapped is because there is little chance of anyone outside the top 6 ever winning it these days. The last 10 years show that it's much more difficult to win the League Cup than the FA Cup. It's not just the Premier League clubs that rest players either. Even Lincoln made changes last night and rotated. It's essentially a reserve team competition now and that means those with the bigger squads will continue to dominate in it.

The reason I want it scrapped is because there is little chance of anyone outside the top 6 ever winning it these days. The last 10 years show that it's much more difficult to win the League Cup than the FA Cup. It's not just the Premier League clubs that rest players either. Even Lincoln made changes last night and rotated. It's essentially a reserve team competition now and that means those with the bigger squads will continue to dominate in it.
But the FA Cup is almost the same. Only Leicester have broken in recently.

While ever there are two cups it's obviously more likely that someone outside the top 6 can win one.

What is the perceived benefit to scrapping it though? If you think it's crap you don't have to watch it. At the very worst it's an opportunity to give fringe players a run out.

Back
Top Bottom