Match Thread EFL Cup Round 2 - Sheffield United v. Lincoln City - 30th August 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
LINC
LINC
LINC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1693228401953.png vs. 1693228408491.png

EFL Cup 2nd Round - Wednesday 30th August 2023 - 19:45 - Bramall Lane
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-lincoln-city.695/

Officials:

Referee: Paul Tierney
Assistants: Neil Davies, Scott Ledger
Fourth Official: Anthony Backhouse

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

None as yet.​

We don't have the squad for a cup run in fairness. Would have been nice to break the losing habit, but Everton look like they'll give us every opportunity at the weekend.
Are you sure ? That new striker looks a handful and they’ve got a win under their belts now?

Where as we have ???? Home advantage

I generally don't care about the result, but we had enough quality (arguably), to have caused them trouble in the first half and did nothing. To not score or look like scoring in the first half was the thing that irritated me.

The Lincoln commentators summed it up for me when they said everytime Sheffield United get the ball they stop with it and it slows them down. I've commented on this countless times as we end up doing nicey, nicey, safety possession football, but do sod all meaningful with it.

We often played Subbuteo football last season and did it a lot in pre-season. Would it kill players to pass the ball into space for players to run onto, instead of standing still waiting for it to come to them? It's too predictable, too slow and allows teams to drop back quickly in number and close spaces between the midfield and defence. Our style of football hampers us and makes us easy to defend against.

We need some urgency, more people running with it instead of playing hot potato and looking to get rid as soon as they get it (normally sideways or backwards).

2 things.

1. Couldn’t give 2 fooks about the exit from the Egg cup. Insignificant in the extreme and could well end up doing us a favour.

2. We are in deep shit. This squad is not good enough to compete in the Championship never mind the PL.

UTB
So Sunday we equalised against city and dropped the points out of defensive error. We were more confident and as a whole more optimistic about the squad and their capabilities.

Today we've seemingly half arsed a match that is pretty much a pre season game and all of a sudden we'd struggle in the championship

I don't like throwing out the usual "who cares" rhetoric but considering the low league teams that have beating higher up teams already so you not think quite a few people simply don't give a shit?

Meltdown incoming no doubt...
No meltdown, just that a 0-0 draw against a team a couple of divisions below us and hardly laying a glove on is very disappointing. Whichever Blades 11 were on the field at any given time should be causing Lincoln problems, and yet by the sound of it we didn’t. Going out is not the end of the world and we didn’t pick up any injuries, which is a plus I suppose. We could have done with a bit of momentum going into the Everton game.

I think Bradford are the only Yorkshire team still in this bloody competition? 😂

I really couldnt care less about a mickey mouse cup. However that pen from Egan was aids 🤣🤣
...or was it predetermined ? We have taken from the game what was wanted in terms of players time on the pitch and youngsters given a go.
No fixture congestion and our better players rested for Saturday.
However if we don’t turn up properly against Everton and their new striker then we have problems.

On the plus side, Osula finally found the back of the net!!!

I generally don't care about the result, but we had enough quality (arguably), to have caused them trouble in the first half and did nothing. To not score or look like scoring in the first half was the thing that irritated me.

The Lincoln commentators summed it up for me when they said everytime Sheffield United get the ball they stop with it and it slows them down. I've commented on this countless times as we end up doing nicey, nicey, safety possession football, but do sod all meaningful with it.

We often played Subbuteo football last season and did it a lot in pre-season. Would it kill players to pass the ball into space for players to run onto, instead of standing still waiting for it to come to them? It's too predictable, too slow and allows teams to drop back quickly in number and close spaces between the midfield and defence. Our style of football hampers us and makes us easy to defend against.

We need some urgency, more people running with it instead of playing hot potato and looking to get rid as soon as they get it (normally sideways or backwards).
The latter point is very valid and has been for some time. Any incoming players this week have to fit that bill.

On Sky Sports News it showed the whole penalty shoot-out, so I got to see the main action for free.

The presenter in the studio immediately said their penalty save from Marsh was goalie well of his line.
They showed the replay which confirmed that the Lincoln keeper was well of the line
so the guy in the studio said our 1st penalty (which was saved) would need to be re-taken.

For some reason the official on the line...said it was fine.

Does make you wonder if taking pens at the Lincoln end made all the difference.
He's exceptionally close to the Lincoln fans and it could have been dangerous to let us retake the saved penalty.

Note: For a striker....thought Beni Traore's penalty was surprisingly poor....poor direction and weak power.
Last time I saw a penalty attempt as poor as that was Don Givens against Walsall in 81......looked almost like a back pass.

...or was it predetermined ? We have taken from the game what was wanted in terms of players time on the pitch and youngsters given a go.
No fixture congestion and our better players rested for Saturday.
However if we don’t turn up properly against Everton and their new striker then we have problems.
The youngsters had ALL of pre-season due to all the injuries. We've never seen so many get so many minutes in pre-season, and yet the stand out performer, Freckleton, has been shipped out to a team who made him look League One/Championship. Bizarre!!!! The lad didn't put a foot wrong all pre-season and looked at home among the senior players, consistent, competent and very composed.

We are invariably terrible in the league cup opening rounds. Only time we aren't we end up making the semis.

Gotta say expected more. A few moments of class to separate us and get the job done.

Looking at Heckys subs and who he named clear he wasn't too fussed. Whatever he says post match.

Just been reading the comments under our latest instagram post and apparently we’ve cost a load of foreigners on their bets tonight. They’re none too happy about it either 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I may be in the minority and if so, I’m good with that, but this is a team of professional footballers, all fit, and we should be attempting to win EVERY game. I’m a little sick and tired of ‘it was just the League Cup’ etc.

We should be playing to win every game no matter what especially at BDTBL…/ Lincoln should not have been allowed to come to our ground and go away winning.

What has happened to us!!!!
Toledo

No meltdown, just that a 0-0 draw against a team a couple of divisions below us and hardly laying a glove on is very disappointing. Whichever Blades 11 were on the field at any given time should be causing Lincoln problems, and yet by the sound of it we didn’t. Going out is not the end of the world and we didn’t pick up any injuries, which is a plus I suppose. We could have done with a bit of momentum going into the Everton game.
I think it demonstrates that our kids who made up more than half the 16 who played tonight aren’t ready and need to be out playing every week in the lower divisions

I can’t understand why people say they aren’t bothered that we are out.

Personally I’m pissed off. A win and a few goals tonight would have got s bit of momentum going and an extra game for a few squad players in the next round as well.

How many times over the years have we ballsed up in the early rounds of this cup. It’s infuriating

Forgettable performance from a 2nd string 11

Positives
Trusty & Archer looked solid, if not spectacular
Marsh showed some decent touches
Osula penalty?
No injuries

Negatives
Really passive performance, no one grabbed game by scruff of neck
Larouci, Bogle, Coulibaly, Brooks all really disappointing and offered very little
3x shite penalties

From those getting minute’s tonight only Norwood, Archer, McBurnie and Archer are likely to be in the 11 against Everton

Radio Lincoln commentators just said The Blades supporters turned up expecting an easy victory! When was the last time that happened?
I don't know who these sad little fuckwits think they are, but how I fucking hope they get shat on in league and Cup from now on.

So Sunday we equalised against city and dropped the points out of defensive error. We were more confident and as a whole more optimistic about the squad and their capabilities.

Today we've seemingly half arsed a match that is pretty much a pre season game and all of a sudden we'd struggle in the championship

I don't like throwing out the usual "who cares" rhetoric but considering the low league teams that have beating higher up teams already so you not think quite a few people simply don't give a shit?
City was the exact polar opposite of tonight. Honestly, we didn’t lay a glove on them. A draw that we almost got would have been daylight. No shame in that btw.

I am more concerned with the lack of quality and depth. We are crying out for a 6’4”” CF who is all off quick Strong and knows where the onion bag is.

We don’t have anything close to this.

One of our more obvious rivals have just done in £25m on such a striker. Let me state now that this alone is likely to be the key differentiator on Satdi.

We need upgrades on Norwood. McB, Osula and a few other fringe players and ideally would have maybe half a dozen go out the door tomorrow one way or another with 5 or 6 coming in.

Obs not gonna happen now.

I fear the worst.

UTB

This infuriates me and we've been doing it since our centre backs stopped overlapping. Norwood, Baldock and Osborn seem to be the worst and most consistent offenders.

Despite Hecky constantly talking about catching teams on the break, we always slow it down, turn back, pass amongst the defence, get closed down, pass to Wes who hoofs it to our two isolated strikers and we lose it. Time and time again it happens. The opposition have so much time to get back, regroup and organise that we're constantly outnumbered when we attack instead of trying to outnumber them with a quick break. These tactics simply do not work!

Back
Top Bottom