Match Thread EFL Cup Round 2 - Sheffield United v. Lincoln City - 30th August 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
LINC
LINC
LINC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1693228401953.png vs. 1693228408491.png

EFL Cup 2nd Round - Wednesday 30th August 2023 - 19:45 - Bramall Lane
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-lincoln-city.695/

Officials:

Referee: Paul Tierney
Assistants: Neil Davies, Scott Ledger
Fourth Official: Anthony Backhouse

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

None as yet.​

I’m one of the 7 then, but if that’s your prediction you’re in cuckoo land more than the interruptive bollocks you spout on that podcast.
We all think our view of life and our team is the only correct version no problem with that, but no need for the abuse of someone with different views who gives their own time freely to create entertainment and discussion. Or abuse of anyone come to that.

Why do you bother listening, do you listen to music or watch tv you don’t like?

Do you genuinely believe the people are going to be on a downer on Saturday because of tonight?

A win tonight wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference. Just like it didn't when we beat Carlisle under Slav before getting hammered 4-0 at WBA a week later.
Yes I do genuinely believe that. Thank fuck you’re glass half full.

ah well thats shame how it ended, you never want to lose any game. but early rounds of league cup are always giving players mins & getting them up to match fitness. & attitude of like the old JPT group stage it would be nice to win, but if we dont its no big shame, as teams normally sleepwalk into the quarter finals

on the ending surprised in front of the away fans. assumed for fairness it would be in front of the empty kop. but then only penalty you could be upset by. as marsh was great penalty, hard, low & in the corner. but good save from the GK & Egan's a CB

no disrespect to them Lincoln defended well, never looked like scoring & only looked dangerous when gave the ball away so cheaply which is the main worry we will have to far better in possession than that saturday. i can say this because we were them 10yrs ago. but the win & the following cup run means far more to them than it would for us. dont want to put words in to peoples mouth but in west ham game that meant so much to us im sure was a meh at best to HammerInPeace

Lincoln v west ham is far better game, because lincoln will sell out, it likely be on tv, be a proper cup tie & is better than 2 premier league sides with reserves out, in front of 8000-9000 fans. & also the Prize money for the league cup is always the issue, you dont get any prize money until the semi finals, even then its £25,000 you get £41,000 for making 1st round of the fa cup

Last edited:
That's just knocked Hartlepool under Weir off its perch as worst ever Blades performance for me considering the line up. I couldn't care less as it matters one jot but fuck we were shite.

Yes I do genuinely believe that. Thank fuck you’re glass half full.

I just don't think tonight will have any impact on Saturday. I'm certainty not confident we will beat Everton but I don't think tonight will have any barring on the result.

If you think the fans will be on a downer on Saturday then fair play but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I just don't think tonight will have any impact on Saturday. I'm certainty not confident we will beat Everton but I don't think tonight will have any barring on the result.

If you think the fans will be on a downer on Saturday then fair play but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
I hope you’re right pal. Saturday is huge so I hope we’re all celebrating and I’m overreacting after tonight.

We all think our view of life and our team is the only correct version no problem with that, but no need for the abuse of someone with different views who gives their own time freely to create entertainment and discussion. Or abuse of anyone come to that.

Why do you bother listening, do you listen to music or watch tv you don’t like?

I do interrupt Ben all the time to be fair! No issues with Lightsoot at all. Disagree with him about tonight but he's entitled to hold a different opinion

I've been tonight and unfortunately I can't see what use several of these players will be in the fight going forwards.
Coulibaly and Brooks offered nothing tonight. Clumsy and never got involved in progressing us up the pitch. Lou Marsh looked instantly more capable when he came on but kept running into blind alleys. Larouchi was poor again. Left side improved when Buyabu replaced him. Bogle quite poor. Right side better with Seriki there. Trusty didn't look anything special.
I hope the likes of Harmer, Souza, Baldock, Ahmedhodzic, Egan stay fit. Why no start for the new middy from Everton who needs minutes?

I hope you’re right pal. Saturday is huge so I hope we’re all celebrating and I’m overreacting after tonight.

I think Saturday being such a big a game is why we were so cautious tonight. We replaced our potential match winners early and seemed to be happy to let the kids get game time knowing they wouldn't be involved on Saturday

I do interrupt Ben all the time to be fair! No issues with Lightsoot at all. Disagree with him about tonight but he's entitled to hold a different opinion
We’ve had a healthy debate. I never miss an episode of Blades Pod as it’s brilliant. It makes commuting to work more tolerable and Roy provides great points and entertainment. I do think he interrupts too much on occasion, but I’m just being a cunt because we lost and he disagreed with me.

We don't have the squad for a cup run in fairness. Would have been nice to break the losing habit, but Everton look like they'll give us every opportunity at the weekend.

I generally don't care about the result, but we had enough quality (arguably), to have caused them trouble in the first half and did nothing. To not score or look like scoring in the first half was the thing that irritated me.

The Lincoln commentators summed it up for me when they said everytime Sheffield United get the ball they stop with it and it slows them down. I've commented on this countless times as we end up doing nicey, nicey, safety possession football, but do sod all meaningful with it.

We often played Subbuteo football last season and did it a lot in pre-season. Would it kill players to pass the ball into space for players to run onto, instead of standing still waiting for it to come to them? It's too predictable, too slow and allows teams to drop back quickly in number and close spaces between the midfield and defence. Our style of football hampers us and makes us easy to defend against.

We need some urgency, more people running with it instead of playing hot potato and looking to get rid as soon as they get it (normally sideways or backwards).
You've summed it up And it's fucking terrible to watch too .

We’ve had a healthy debate. I never miss an episode of Blades Pod as it’s brilliant. It makes commuting to work more tolerable and Roy provides great points and entertainment. I do think he interrupts too much on occasion, but I’m just being a cunt because we lost and he disagreed with me.

I do interrupt too much. I am trying to stop that but I usually do it when I'm angry about something which has been quite a lot of United related things of late!

No hard feelings anyway. Hopefully we are both happy on Saturday evening

It won't mean anything in regards to Saturday. If Hecky was worried about morale he wouldn't have made the subs he did.

It's not right on the fans who paid but we quite evidently used this game as a practice match building up to Saturday.
Practising looking like a Sunday league team..?

Fair play this is far from our best eleven, but that was a strong starting line up other than Brooks and Coulibaly. What's Slimane done wrong to not come on, and is Tom Davies injured already (no shock if he was given Hecky's track record), as he would surely have benefitted from some minutes for fitness?
Tom Davies so unfit that he can't even make the squad ? Who signs these fuckers ?

Pretty sure the penalty bit counts, and I’m pretty sure we didn’t get drawn again West Spam.
We drew the game 0-0. But Because it was a knockout cup competition one team had to go through to the next round. This was decided by a penalty shoot out. We lost the penalty shoot out. Hope that clears it up for you🥴

Are you sure ? That new striker looks a handful and they’ve got a win under their belts now?

Where as we have ???? Home advantage
Their new striker is exactly what we need , big strong fast & powerful.

I think the last one was made captain when he was banging in 30 goals and leading us up the leagues in iconic fashion.

Absolutely, but the armband didn’t force Hecky to start him every week. Why would it now?

Back
Top Bottom