Does Wilder last the season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No. Next season will decide if he stays or goes. He gets a free swing this season as he cannot possibly make us any worse than we are. If we go down, then it's to be expected. If we get off to a bad start next season and only win 2 or 3 of our opening 10 games, then the pressure is on. Next summer is huge in terms of player retention and recruitment. Who he gives new contracts to will be an indication of whether things are going to change and progress or not, or whether he's also stubbornly stuck in his ways. Anyone thinking Wilder will get sacked this season still unbelievably somehow thinks we have a chance of staying up.

Last edited:
This is essentially a longer free hit than his Watford gig.

Unless we get worse, I can't see how, he stays

We know we're going down its a given (99.9%) but so long as he gives us back some fight and we actually look like we're trying to compete in a game the rest of this season has surely got to be a free hit for him ?

Yes
Free hit this season
Gets the season to get it back up

I’d put good money on Chris Wilder not even lasting the season. The blokes washed up. Anyone want to take the bet?

Think you're getting over emotional here.

I'll bet £10 to this forum that Wilder is still manager for the last match of the season, is it Spurs at home?
It's easy money because there's no way any manager would be sacked before the end of the season.
They would need to be doing much worse than Hecky, that would probably mean losing 7-0 most weeks, instead of 5-0 most weeks.
Don't think some people realise we've suffered our biggest ever home defeat this season and it could have easily been 11 or 12-0.
Also we are on track to become the worse performing Sheff Utd side in our history. This turning up to matches, expecting to be thrashed every match and hardly have a shot has never happened before in our history.

I'll also bet £10 to this forum that Wilder betters the Derby low points record, so we don't become record breakers as the worse team ever in the PL. Think people have lost their minds and unable to have rational critical thinking using logic. Personally think we'll finish on 24 points under Wilder which probably won't be enough.

This thread can be a record of honour and the forum organises can confirm if there's been a payment, it's only a £10/ £20, so nothing major.

And believe it or not I actually like Hecky more....he comes across as a nicer man....where as Wilder is Captain Angry when we lose.
Also I'm not convinced Wilder is the right man for the long term but we're selling the club, so can understand why the owner is only looking at the short term and not interested in long term planning, surely that's for the new owners to decide. Also accept there are better options but we're shopping in the bargain bucket and out of all the desperate out of work managers willing to accept a short term contract which will likely lead to a relegation on their CV, then Wilder is the best of all the very weak candidates.

No. Next season will decide if he stays or goes. He gets a free swing this season as he cannot possibly make us any worse than we are. If we go down, then it's to be expected. If we get off to a bad start next season and only win 2 or 3 of our opening 10 games, then the pressure is on. Next summer is huge in terms of player retention and recruitment. Who he gives new contracts to will be an indication of whether things are going to change and progress or not, or whether he's also stubbornly stuck in his ways. Anyone thinking Wilder will get sacked this season still unbelievably somehow thinks we have a chance of staying up.

Talking sense again.
The owner and Wilder know the team is 95% relegated, so relegation doesn't mean he's instantly sacked.
It will be about how we are relegated, what tactics are designed to make us competitive, how he motivates players low on confidence
basically how he handles an almost impossible job set up for failure. He can't just give up and needs to make a fist of it.

Also how handles the Summer rebuilding job and how he starts the new season next year, where they'll be some expectation.
He's on a short term contract, so is basically here on trial, no problem with that....quite sensible.
If he fails then we'll probably target a promising up and coming manager from league 1.

It will either be the best thing to happen to this club since we went up in 2019 or the final, sickening act in the tragicomedy of the last few years.

One thing I will say about this club is it is never dull.

I wanted John eustace , He was doing a good job at Birmingham until they sacked him for Rooney

Sorry to piss on chips but under wilder we will be a different team. Yes he's got work with shit hecky brought in but he will get the best out of our situation. No other manager we could have brought in wud understand the blades fans mentality.
I will bet anyone we will stay up.

Sorry to piss on chips but under wilder we will be a different team. Yes he's got work with shit hecky brought in but he will get the best out of our situation. No other manager we could have brought in wud understand the blades fans mentality.
Heard were getting all the band back... first loan in the January window Oli Burke from Birmingham 🤭

The lunatic asylum called and said it wanted its patient back!

It appears that mentality equates to "live in the past... never modernise... never innovate... never look forwards, only back", and many fans are happy to accept only looking in the pool of people with a previous association to the club because bladey bladeness

Slav in league 1...?

Oh shit. It's nigel adkins in league 1 !
Nooooo

Edit: your post says since 2021.

Pattern of respective league positions when each manager took over, which is probably your point, I guess...

League 1
Prem
Championship
Championship
Prem

It's all leading to league 1. The old 6 year cycle.

Last edited:

It will either be the best thing to happen to this club since we went up in 2019 or the final, sickening act in the tragicomedy of the last few years.

One thing I will say about this club is it is never dull.
That's one thing I say to anyone about supporting this club, it's never boring.

Look at this century alone.

FA Cup semi final, League Cup semi final with giant killings along the way. Sadly the season ended with a play off final defeat.

Promotion to the Premier League and relegation on the final day through an ex player scoring against us. We went down with the highest points for a relegated team (oh, the irony!).

More play off final woes followed by relegation to League One.

Six years in League One with more play off woes, then a League Cup semi final and FA Cup semi final where we had a good day out at Wembley and we pushed Hull all the way. A standing ovation that will live on in my memory.

Automatic promotion to the Championship with a boyhood Blade in charge and one as captain, where we destroyed the league and went up as champions. 10,000 away fans at Stadium MK for a match to remember.

The Boxing Day massacre and Duffy became an instant legend. Brooks' cheeky little nutmeg added to the enjoyment on a debut to remember.

Promotion to the Premier League as runners up where we were the talk of the league due to our unique system. Even Pigs were admitting that we played great football and that they admired Wilder.

We managed to stay up playing fearless football, finishing 9th and just missing out on a European place. We were the talk of the Premier League and everyone's second favourite team. People actually talking about what amazing football we played. Added to that we were undefeated home and away against every London team, and only Liverpool and Man City did the double over us.

Relegation in a sorry season where the lack of depth and quality in the squad caught up with us and bit us on the arse, and we looked back and realised we'd wasted millions on crap.

After this more play off heart break with a penalty shoot-out loss after a heavily injury ravaged squad (don't get me started), beat Florist at the Shitty Ground.

The next season the shining star Ndiaye stole the show in a promotion campaign littered with sub average performances in arguably the weakest Championship in years. But added to that was another trip to Wembley for another FA Cup semi final where we lost to arguably the best club in the world, but didn't embarass or disgrace ourselves.

And here we are in so far what will go down as the worst season in not only Sheffield United's history, but in the history of the Premier League, where breaking Derby's record is no longer a joke but a reality.

However, the story of this season remains to be told. I expect it to end in relegation but how many points we gain is yet to be determined.

Some fans of other clubs would give anything just to tick half of these boxes.

It's certainly never boring.

Back
Top Bottom