Wilders improvement

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladezz

Reaction score
Chris Wilder over the last 12 games would have had us 18th, 3 points of 15th.

I know there’s some hammerings along the way but the improvement is quite remarkable.

Imagine how different it would be if we were on our way to Bournmouth within touching distance of survival. It would be a fantastic day out.

I don’t think anyone really thinks Wilder will be sacked (some will say he’ll walk 😂) I understand a lot of fans do not like Wilder for numerous different reasons. I am a big advocate of stats but the main stat is points on the board.

IMG_0354.jpeg

I know there’s some hammerings along the way but the improvement is quite remarkable.

Imagine how different it would be if we were on our way to Bournmouth within touching distance of survival. It would be a fantastic day out.

I don’t think anyone really thinks Wilder will be sacked (some will say he’ll walk 😂) I understand a lot of fans do not like Wilder for numerous different reasons. I am a big advocate of stats but the main stat is points on the board.

View attachment 180196
He's a busted flush sadly.

I didn’t think he’d come in and we’d be winning every other game. I did think however we’d stop rolling over and getting battered with no response. This has been as bad if not worse than Hecky. I think if hecky had stayed he would have got a couple more wins/draws in the following 12 games. So my conclusion is wilder hasn't really improved anything.

View attachment 180196

Nothing wrong with sticking up for a mate. But at least be honest about it.

Would you not say his points per game considering how bad we are would be seen as good?

3rd bottom is better than we could ever hope for under Hecky.
No pal I don't. No pleasure in saying it. UTB.

Ill make my decision on what I see - not a snap shot of less than a 1/3rd of the season

-Against Arsenal starts Norwood, who lost it over 12 months ago, into a midfield against 2 of the best in the EPL - Rice & Odegard
-He put Trusty 1-1 with Saka as part of a back 4, when 3 CB's would have given Trusty more protection
-Doesnt tell Hamer/Davies to drop back & double up on Saka, waits until were 0-3 down to replace Norwood who shouldnt have started anyway
-Implies its the older players who are to blame with his 'may have to play the kids' rather than admit his tactical brainfart
-Holgate was deemed not good enough for the EPL, then not good enough for the EFL, so CW brings him in
-Signs Grbic and to prove a point to Wes throws him in after 24 hours, currently shipped 20 in 5 games
-We may not have the player for overlapping CBs, but there is no plan, whats our tactic?

Prior to this he failed at Watford, failed at Boro, bailed on us - he will always be lauded for the good he did, but the CW that is running our football team isnt the right man to lead us forward, especially given we need a huge rebuild, and his eye for a player is debatable

Ill make my decision on what I see - not a snap shot of less than a 1/3rd of the season

-Against Arsenal starts Norwood, who lost it over 12 months ago, into a midfield against 2 of the best in the EPL - Rice & Odegard
-He put Trusty 1-1 with Saka as part of a back 4, when 3 CB's would have given Trusty more protection
-Doesnt tell Hamer/Davies to drop back & double up on Saka, waits until were 0-3 down to replace Norwood who shouldnt have started anyway
-Implies its the older players who are to blame with his 'may have to play the kids' rather than admit his tactical brainfart
-Holgate was deemed not good enough for the EPL, then not good enough for the EFL, so CW brings him in
-Signs Grbic and to prove a point to Wes throws him in after 24 hours, currently shipped 20 in 5 games
-We may not have the player for overlapping CBs, but there is no plan, whats our tactic?

Prior to this he failed at Watford, failed at Boro, bailed on us - he will always be lauded for the good he did, but the CW that is running our football team isnt the right man to lead us forward, especially given we need a huge rebuild, and his eye for a player is debatable
I take it your not a Wilder fan then......

At least we'd be within touching distance which is where we'd like to be at this point, at least competitive and within reach of the magical 4th bottom, which where any promoted side wants to be. Expecting anything more than that would be unrealistic in my opinion, especially considering the lack of money we've spent and the players we didn't manage to retain. Berge, Doyle and Ndiaye in this team would have made a noticeable difference.

I do agree that Wilder is yesterday's news but who else in their right mind would take the job, without the emotional connection to us, knowing the lack of money or ambition from the owner? Wilder is unlikely to get a job at Premier League or Championship level outside of this one based on his last season here or what happened at Middlesbrough and Watford. If he does harbour ambitions of continuing to be a manager at a good level then its in his interests to get this right and polish a few turds when we go down like when we were stuck in League One - not polishing turds like Jack Rodwell and Ravel Morrison who were already halfway down the drain.

Wilder at least knows the club and what the supporters want to see (not that we are at the moment, at home) and he seems to be the only man for the job until Prince buggers off and we can do a proper rebuilding job, rather than building it on sand like we are at the moment (pun kind of intended).

Last edited:

Whilst I accept some of this I don’t agree that he has no eye for a player. It might be true at PL level, but his recruitment when he first came was excellent and most of those took us to the PL in the first place.
We now need him to recruit at a similar level, so let’s see what happens in the summer.

The division demands a billionaire owner, and players around an average of 25 -40m on the pitch In order to  survive..

We're just getting news coming through on how the prince / backroom staff treat thier manager regarding the Berge transfer so becoming loud n clear to me where the problem is, if we want to ever consolidate in the PL we need new richer ownership so it's bye bye prince at some point if that's where we're going, what I've just read any manager would resign over..

You can have any manager you want the outcome will be the same in the premier league, we'll discuss the losses of Berge and Ndyie but truth be told they'll be nothing but subs at any team above 12th place in this division all thier sales did was ensure we can get a couple of similar players on longer contracts buying the prince more time with his meagre resources, basically using what he's paid out before recouping it and using it again..

He's never at the club, more interested in the 49ers (glad they lost) and tbh the club is being run like a joke because of his incompetence and decisions at boardroom level, appointing a team then the ceo comes out straight away and says "you won't see me again" we should have been in uproar that day...

Look beyond the football, even when we were successfull with wilder, we had people without a clue milling about, phipps although likable what did he know, sella ??? The writings been on the wall a long time but promotions have masked it all.. edit: which are in most quarters now being accepted as the respective managers over achieving..

Running the contracts down was the fatal error though, it's loud and clear the club will not pay anyehere near the going rate for mcburnie and wes to sign up, never mind the rest, couple that with out of contract players and thier agents doing deals for next year, each of those players being told "if you get an injury the deals off instantly" while we sit in the stands wondering why there's a lack of effort!

If the prince was a football expert with limited funds sat in the boardroom at the lane, updating the fans every now and then, chairing meetings about how we proceed that would be tolerated, he'd be sharing our troubles with us, but he's not bothered he's using social media every 12 months because it's the quick fix to address the fans directly in the most convenient manner to him, you cant blame the content providers either if you ran a podcast and the owner wanted to go on that's a dream come true, but its a quick Skype and then back to looking at the draft speculation for the new NFL season isn't it..

Wilder / Hecky / Klopp / Guardiola, take your pick, a club being run like we are, it doesn't matter, they'll all fail..

At least we'd be within touching distance which is where we'd like to be at this point, at least competitive and within reach of the magical 4th bottom, which where any promoted side wants to be. Expecting anything more than that would be unrealistic in my opinion, especially considering the lack of money we've spent and the players we didn't manage to retain. Berge, Doyle and Ndiaye in this team would have made a noticeable difference.

I do agree that Wilder is yesterday's news but who else in their right mind would take the job, without the emotional connection to us, knowing the lack of money or ambition from the owner? Wilder is unlikely to get a job at Premier League or Championship level outside of this one based on his last season here or what happened at Middlesbrough and Watford. If he does harbour ambitions of continuing to be a manager at a good level then its in his interests to get this right and polish a few turds when we go down like when we were stuck in League One - not polishing turds like Jack Rodwell and Ravel Morrison who were already halfway down the drain.

Wilder at least knows the club and what the supporters want to see (not that we are at the moment, at home) and he seems to be the only man for the job until Prince buggers off and we can do a proper rebuilding job, rather than building it on sand like we are at the moment (pun kind of intended).
We never take a chance on anyone, bar Slàv, and he was given the time or support he was offered when he took the job., so we're stuck with yesterdays man who once we started losing in our second season in the premiership he couldn't stop the rot, pissed all our dosh away then pissed off, the mans a legeend for what he did ,but so are Bassett, Warnock, even John Harris, but they're in the past, until we wake up and realise this we are in freefall, he's lucky the prince is so broke he can't get any one decent like Potter or Hessenhuttl etc

No pal I don't. No pleasure in saying it. UTB.
No worries if you think this side should be 4th bottom then you clearly rate these players much better than they have ever performed in there careers.

He's only played four games. 13 goals against.

Edit (12 goals against, Wes conceded the final goal against palace after Ivo went off)

He's facing the best strikers in the world with cobbled together defences, journeymen and players looking out for thier own interests shirking tackles in case of injuries..

He's gonna face 20+ shots from the likes of Saka, Haaland etc..

Any goalie will look shit...

Saying that, Wes is clearly better than him at this point but Wilders been told not to play him cause he won't sign a new deal..

I support Wilder and hope he stays but the last 4 history making home games have been a disgrace and it's understandably put him on thin ice, with much of the fanbase at least. He needs to hang in there, stop the batterings and wait for the summer. If he's backed at all by our absent slob of an owner I'm confident things will improve significantly. He will know exactly what we need to do with the squad and the sort of players we go after needn't be gambles

No worries if you think this side should be 4th bottom then you clearly rate these players much better than they have ever performed in there careers.
No you are missing the point. The point I'm making is I don't agree with your backing of wilder. The real CW I have no problem with, however the version that developed post covid is not anywhere near the same ability, hence busted flush.

To say Wilder hasn't improved us is wrong in my opinion.

Yeah we lost 6-0 to Arsenal but Hecky managed to lose 5-0 to a Burnley side, who despite that result still don't have more points than us.

The problem we have is that the bar was set so low due to the board throwing the towel in before the season started that it would have been harder not to improve us.

I must admit I've been massively disappointed with CW and AWs tactical decisions so far.

For your sake I hope your Busty Tufty gets the SWFC job, you'd blend right in with this level of delusionary nonsense.

Chris(t) on a Bike.

View attachment 180196
Not only this ... if you just go off our form at luton away and brentford at home, over a season we would have won 38 games and be top of the league!!!!!!!

Think we'll be lucky to hang onto him tbh..

Not only this ... if you just go off our form at luton away and brentford at home, over a season we would have won 38 games and be top of the league!!!!!!!

Think we'll be lucky to hang onto him tbh..
Come the end of the season can you imagine if he actually would have kept us up. Some still wouldn’t give credit.

View attachment 180196
Good job we got a very very lucky penalty in the last minute against Wolves or we would have been bottom behind Burnley on goal difference.

Oh, hang on a minute.

Although if you just go off his last 3 games we'd be bottom of the league, with no points and have a goal difference of minus 203 🤔
Correct. That’s why we don’t use a small sample size. You use the total sample size. That will include 2 games against Chelsea / Liverpool / Aston Villa etc.

But this short term is as good as we would ever get.

Back
Top Bottom