CONFIRMED Dean Hammond

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was thinking 18 years old....Hammond looked slow and unfit...old git!

I will however give him the benefit of doubt on his first day!

:)
Yes, possibly the most average debut ever seen. Replaced by the much more energetic Coutts

As you say, he gets the benefit of the doubt but let's hope he improves... A lot

He's nothing without his midfield partners May and Clarkson. Get them signed Adkins.

Hammond obviously needs match fitness but I like that he was always available. Not great in the air but I remember when bash played his first couple of games and thought wtf? Anyway bash is a star and I'm sure Hammond will be as soon as he gets to know his team mates and has another 5 or 6 games under his belt. Good, steady start for him. Welcome Deano.

UTMB!

Can't judge him seriously after one game, I thought some of his long passing looked decent, some of his short passing however suggested he needed to change his contact lenses.

Looks to be carrying a few pounds too.

Let's see what he can bring to the team after a couple of weeks training with them.

it shows when any player starts 12 games after everyone else
Hammond needs game time, Thought hed come on late as a sub was surprised he was on from the start

Was obviously rusty. If he's going to play despite that I hope it's in a three man midfield sitting in front of the defence.

I'd like to see him sitting on top of a Christmas tree.

Can't judge him seriously after one game, I thought some of his long passing looked decent, some of his short passing however suggested he needed to change his contact lenses.

Looks to be carrying a few pounds too.

Let's see what he can bring to the team after a couple of weeks training with them.
Think his passes were into places where he thought a player would be running through. What he doesn't know yet is our players are as static as the cones on the training ground at times and he will have to learn to pass to them.

Think his passes were into places where he thought a player would be running through. What he doesn't know yet is our players are as static as the cones on the training ground at times and he will have to learn to pass to them.

I didn't see that from him. But I did see him not reacting and moving to receive passes that were close to / in front of him. Match fitness? Difference between League 1 and Premiership football?
I hope, given time on the pitch, he finds the level we need him to play at.

I don't think it helped that we switched back to a 4-4-2 tonight. Maybe it would have worked better with Reed or Baxter in a 4-3-3 again ?

There was an 18 year old kid warming the bench who would have put Hammond to shame tonight, what a dreadful performance. Cant tackle, cant pass, no stamina, no pace, an even poorer version of Coutts

There was an 18 year old kid warming the bench who would have put Hammond to shame tonight, what a dreadful performance. Cant tackle, cant pass, no stamina, no pace, an even poorer version of Coutts

I do fear reactions like this from some of our fans to a player like Hammond. He is unlikely to catch the eye and he is unlikely to make 50 yard driving runs like Yaya Toure. What he will do, when match sharp, is very subtly take control of a match, maybe not for 90 mins, but certainly at crucial times. Knowing when to sit, advance, keep possession, risk the long ball, are incredibly difficult skills to master, and he has them in spades. 450 matches and only 32 should tell you something. The best comparison I can think of is somebody like Simeone Perotta for Roma a few years back. Always overshadowed by the more dynamic Francesco Totti, but when he played for Roma v Man Utd they beat them 3-2. When he was injured for the 2nd leg (Totti played), they lost 7-1. I'm not comparing Hammond to Perotta by the way, merely pointing out the importance of a player who doesn't always catch the eye.

I do find it staggering when a non playing fan can say of a player with almost 500 1st team games under his belt and who has performed well in the Premier League as recently as last season, that he can't pass, can't tackle, can't shoot and has no stamina. This was his first competitive match for sometime, in a new environment and with new team mates.

I assume you are talking about Reed on our bench. I hope Adkins has told him to watch and learn everything Hammond does on and off the pitch in the next 3 months, and if he becomes anything like as good he will make a good living out of the game.

"I assume you are talking about Reed on our bench. I hope Adkins has told him to watch and learn everything Hammond does on and off the pitch in the next 3 months, and if he becomes anything like as good he will make a good living out of the game"

But be derided by a large number of people?

"I assume you are talking about Reed on our bench. I hope Adkins has told him to watch and learn everything Hammond does on and off the pitch in the next 3 months, and if he becomes anything like as good he will make a good living out of the game"
This can't possibly work because most of Hammond's work is unseen by mere mortals

But be derided by a large number of people?

That was an unfortunate quote to make looking back from Blade for Sale . To be fair not one of us realised just how bad he would be

That worked out well didn't it.

Hindsight is wonderful isn't it?
There is a slight difference though between a lack of pace and your legs having completely gone which none of us could have been aware of at that time!

I don't know whether or not he does unseen work, because by definition I suppose it's invisible so I can't see it.

But one thing I did see was a totally unnecessary challenge on a Manchester United player at Old Trafford 3 minutes into stoppage time. That challenge cost the club a home replay and thousands and thousands of pounds.
If I made a mistake or misjudgement at work of a similar magnitude I don't think anyone would offer me a new contract. That is , not unless I worked for Sheffield United.

I don't know whether or not he does unseen work, because by definition I suppose it's invisible so I can't see it.

But one thing I did see was a totally unnecessary challenge on a Manchester United player at Old Trafford 3 minutes into stoppage time. That challenge cost the club a home replay and thousands and thousands of pounds.
If I made a mistake or misjudgement at work of a similar magnitude I don't think anyone would offer me a new contract. That is , not unless I worked for Sheffield United.

Hammond is getting a boat load of shit and abuse off fans rightly so . However the bloke who should be getting the most is Adkins who brought the guy in under a fan fair of trumpets , picked him and subbed him on a regular basis , and was deaf and blind to any criticism ( even constructive ) towards Hammond .

The bloke more importantly lost us points which could have made a difference this season.

McCabe has to question Adkins judgement on all players if he is stopping and not getting the sack.

Since Hammond signed, we've been better with him in the team than without. He has not been as good any many of us hoped but he's been better than Reed, Cuvelier, Whiteman, Coutts etc. when they've been deployed in his position.

That said, I won't be upset if he doesn't sign a new deal as there must be better value out there.

Since Hammond signed, we've been better with him in the team than without. He has not been as good any many of us hoped but he's been better than Reed, Cuvelier, Whiteman, Coutts etc. when they've been deployed in his position.

That said, I won't be upset if he doesn't sign a new deal as there must be better value out there.

The route cause is Adkins had the mindset of Dean Hammond of 2010 / 11 not 2016 . Blinkered vision and not seeing the wood for the trees comes to mind.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom