Gone Elsewhere Conor Coady

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Every club needs a player like Coady. Tremendous leader, bags of experience and still has a lot of quality. The type of player we need to have a chance in the prem

I’d sign him on a free

But £5mill and probably the highest earner at the club no thanks

Reputation and actually quality are different

If Coady was that good everyone would be snapping him up

The wages point is a fair one but I don’t agree with Coady being out of our league. He’s lost a bit of his shine IMO. He fell out of favour at a fairly average Wolves side, and the same thing happened at a relegation threatened Everton. He’s good at the base of a back three but more limited in a four man defence, which automatically reduces interest. And he’s 30. I imagine a team like Nottingham Forest will be aiming for someone more exciting. We should absolutely explore it though and I’m sure we will.
Coady fell out of favour at both Wolves and then Everton because both sides appointed a new manager whose preferred tactic is a back four. Coady, much like Basham and Egan, is great in a back three but struggles in a back four. He's also lost his England place since the national side moved to a 4-3-3.

I would imagine that if he's available he'll be of interest to us, Forest and probably Luton (loan). Everyone else plays 4 at the back.

Loans, frees, young players to build future resilience.
Coady ticks none of the boxes.

If we were spending £50 mill and he was costing £3/4 mill then maybe

I’d probably sign him as a midfielder before as a CB he ain’t better than Anel or Egan

Coady fell out of favour at both Wolves and then Everton because both sides appointed a new manager whose preferred tactic is a back four. Coady, much like Basham and Egan, is great in a back three but struggles in a back four. He's also lost his England place since the national side moved to a 4-3-3.

I would imagine that if he's available he'll be of interest to us, Forest and probably Luton (loan). Everyone else plays 4 at the back.
I suspect there might be interest from bigger clubs at that price.

I suspect there might be interest from bigger clubs at that price.
Which bigger clubs? He's not good enough for the Champions League chasing clubs (both Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool); he doesn't fit the profile for Brentford or Brighton. Four at the back takes out Villa, Palace, Fulham, West Ham, Bournemouth and Everton. He's leaving Wolves. Rule those out and you're left with Forest, Burnley (4 at the back last season but may be more defensive next), us and Luton. The only possible other consideration I can see is a backup role at West Ham to allow them to switch to a 5 man defence which they do sometimes.

started 50+ games in Serbia A and he isn’t even 23

Fiorientina and Juventus are apparently wanting to sign him this summer

Come back to me when you know anything about European football scouting I do as I hold a uefa scouting badge
Where have you seen that Juve are wanting him? How does he even fit into that team?

On a serious note, If we can get Coady, and have a way of fitting him into the team that benefits us I think we should - still at a decent level and can perform in big games

Wasn't long ago he was one of Wolves' best players though and overall helped Everton be a little better defensively.

I'm not against signing him at all, but struggle to know where he quite fits in, in that back 3.

Still reckon this might be a bit of just lazy rumour talk.

Agreed.

I have no issue with him as a player, his skill set or his age. I think he is PL quality and in an ideal world, if we had £150m to spend, i'd rejoice if we signed him. He'd add great experience, depth & attitude to the squad. At £4.5m to £5m I think he's very keenly priced.

Recently, he has featured as CB in a flat back 4, but he has played regularly in a back 3 for Wolves, but always centrally. Egan at CCB next season is adequate.

Someone, somewhere is going to have to create chances for us next season from out wide, anyone who plays at LCB has to be mobile and be able to overlap/join in the attack, and anyone at LWB has to be 6/10 defensively and about 9/10 offensively. Shifting Egan to LCB will be kitten inducing, and RND outside of him will be the attacking equivalent of watching paint dry.

The only other idea would be to play him as a DCM, which might be an option. 🤷‍♂️

I would much rather resign Ampadu than Coady

There’s a reason Coady isn’t wanted by wolves/Everton both bottom half Prem teams

Don’t talk about him getting in the England squad he got there because he shouts a lot much like Jordan Henderson

We should not be paying big wages & fees on 30+ year olds with no resaleable value

Sign Ampadu Bettie listen to fallowfield
I’d much rather resign Ampadu too, but I wouldn’t re-sign him.

Agreed.

I have no issue with him as a player, his skill set or his age. I think he is PL quality and in an ideal world, if we had £150m to spend, i'd rejoice if we signed him. He'd add great experience, depth & attitude to the squad. At £4.5m to £5m I think he's very keenly priced.

Recently, he has featured as CB in a flat back 4, but he has played regularly in a back 3 for Wolves, but always centrally. Egan at CCB next season is adequate.

Someone, somewhere is going to have to create chances for us next season from out wide, anyone who plays at LCB has to be mobile and be able to overlap/join in the attack, and anyone at LWB has to be 6/10 defensively and about 9/10 offensively. Shifting Egan to LCB will be kitten inducing, and RND outside of him will be the attacking equivalent of watching paint dry.

The only other idea would be to play him as a DCM, which might be an option. 🤷‍♂️
Wasn't he a D.C.M. when he played for us on loan?

Which bigger clubs? He's not good enough for the Champions League chasing clubs (both Manchester clubs, Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea, Newcastle, Liverpool); he doesn't fit the profile for Brentford or Brighton. Four at the back takes out Villa, Palace, Fulham, West Ham, Bournemouth and Everton. He's leaving Wolves. Rule those out and you're left with Forest, Burnley (4 at the back last season but may be more defensive next), us and Luton. The only possible other consideration I can see is a backup role at West Ham to allow them to switch to a 5 man defence which they do sometimes.
He's an England international who captained his club. I suspect that price would tempt any club who play 5 at the back in the EPL. Be a good squad player for a bigger club.

He's not deemed good enough for Wolves or Everton. Both are relegation candidates. So what use is he gonna be for us?

Is he the best defender in the country-no
Is he capable of doing a job and affordable-yes

I understand your thought process, but for £4m and about £20k per week who would you suggest?

He's an England international who captained his club. I suspect that price would tempt any club who play 5 at the back in the EPL. Be a good squad player for a bigger club.

Yes, he has won some caps for England, but he’s nothing more than a backup/squad player.

The England caps should be irrelevant to the buying club in terms of what transfer fee they are willing to pay.

We need someone to cover when Anel suspended for picking up bookings, Egan for picking up red cards for pulling players down when beaten for pace and for JLT when suspended for GBH.
I love Cody’s attitude and character, hadn’t been picked for Everton for 11 games until last day of the season and he was immense even though he had to have known Everton were not going to keep him.
It is all about the overall cost - fee and wages To me a total of up to £7m would be ok if that was a three year contract. If we are relegated next season we might lose Anel anyway

Coady is a cracking player and would be a great signing for us. Solid CB and an excellent leader on and off the pitch. Downside is he's particularly slow for someone playing at this level (just demonstrates how technically good he is), so would need to play at the centre of our 3 cb's which may cause tactical issues for us

started 50+ games in Serbia A and he isn’t even 23

Fiorientina and Juventus are apparently wanting to sign him this summer

Come back to me when you know anything about European football scouting I do as I hold a uefa scouting badge
I've seen you mention this a few times. Go on then, ill indulge you, on what basis do you need a European scouting badge?

Off the top of my head? West Ham, Burnley, Tottenham (not so sure on that one but they need CBs), Brentford, Wolves might get a new manager who wants to use him...

They might do but theres a reason h ewasnt playing at Everton or wolve ? And thats cause he wasnt good enough

In a 3 for us he would be decent possibly but only if he was a free or a minimal fee

I could live with Coady in the squad. However, at that sort of fee, I see him signing elsewhere but on a much higher salary than we can offer

I've seen you mention this a few times. Go on then, ill indulge you, on what basis do you need a European scouting badge?

It qualifies my opinion as more important than yourS NateDogg Double g

They might do but theres a reason h ewasnt playing at Everton or wolve ? And thats cause he wasnt good enough

In a 3 for us he would be decent possibly but only if he was a free or a minimal fee
4.5 for a player of his calibre is a minimal fee

And with regards to "He wasn't good enough" - players and managers don't always gel. That's not down to skill level, hence why Coady didn't play. If he wasn't good enough he wouldn't have played at all - but he did

4.5 for a player of his calibre is a minimal fee

And with regards to "He wasn't good enough" - players and managers don't always gel. That's not down to skill level, hence why Coady didn't play. If he wasn't good enough he wouldn't have played at all - but he did

It is when our strongest position is probably CB and we hav eonly 20 mill apparently to spend

Youre right that doesnt make him a bad player but it shows he isnt a good as the media or his mouth likes to suggest

If he didnt talk well and shout on the pitch theres absolouteley no chance he would have made the england squad ever IMO

Back
Top Bottom