Coming Soon - Paddy Kenny 'The gloves are off...'

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If you look at this with a cynical perspective then it appears that McCabe wanted rid of Paddy, lets put a minimum fee which we know someone will pay, probably Warnock, and then we make £750,000 and get rid of Paddy who's a liability/let us down, but we make him look like the bad guy not us.

On the other hand, being more realistic, it may well be just that United wanted the money and though £750,000 was a fair price and likely to go quickly if and then we get the money and bring in someone much cheaper. Either way, it backfired and we lost out best goalkeeper we'd had for years for peanuts and ended up with Steve Simonsen who was past his best, probably on decent money and with no sell on value.

Past his best? I put him as a factor to our relegation, and a big reason behind our non promotion the following year (despite being MoTM at Wembley against Udders).

Past his best? I put him as a factor to our relegation, and a big reason behind our non promotion the following year (despite being MoTM at Wembley against Udders).
Kenny in net in the exact same team and I don't think we go down. I lost track of the number of times Simmo clawed the ball weakly to an opposing forward to tap in to the net.

I stole a pen from a little girl and Paddy Kenny stole it from me. So by definition Paddy Kenny stole a pen from a little girl. The bastard!

I don't see why anyone wouldn't believe Paddy Kenny here. It's absolute classic McCabe ran United

There is absolutely no business sense for the club to insist on including a release clause the club had to accept. It’s as though McCabe wanted rid but didn’t want to have the awkwardness of telling Kenny he was accepting a bid outright. Absolute batshit crazy.

There is absolutely no business sense for the club to insist on including a release clause the club had to accept. It’s as though McCabe wanted rid but didn’t want to have the awkwardness of telling Kenny he was accepting a bid outright. Absolute batshit crazy.

And of course nothing was learned from this debacle as Kevin McDonald was given an even lower release clause 3 years later and disappeared off to Wolves, leaving David Weir’s “plans” in ruins.

This article seems to cover why Paddy left, interesting stuff. Not heard of a club putting in a minimum fee release clause before, but maybe this is more common than I know, I always assumed this was for the players benefit not the clubs? Anyway, £750,000 or whatever it was, was far too low, so not sure what McCabe was thinking of when that went in.

A tad surprised Paddy's waited 10 years to give his side of the story, but seems genuine. Steve Simonsen worked out well too of course!? I bet Simonsen was on equal money to Paddy also as Simonsen was quite a well known keeper at the time.

None of this is news. It was discussed extensively on this board at the time.

Listened to the first part of the Undr The Cosh podcast last night. Really funny and revealing. I do like the stories about Warnock. You can see why so many teams do well for him, he really is a one-off.

Listened to the first part of the Undr The Cosh podcast last night. Really funny and revealing. I do like the stories about Warnock. You can see why so many teams do well for him, he really is a one-off.

I think he got results because players didn’t want to see him bollock naked having a go at them while using the sudocrem.

That’s a mental picture they will never recover from.

And of course nothing was learned from this debacle as Kevin McDonald was given an even lower release clause 3 years later and disappeared off to Wolves, leaving David Weir’s “plans” in ruins.

I could just about see the reasoning about sticking that in to get McDonald to sign, as it seemed it was a player demand rather than a club suggestion. Though after this revelation frankly perhaps that assumption that it was a McDonald demand needs revisiting...

There’s a top 10 managers that influenced Kenny in Sutcliffe’s Athletic piece today. Some entertaining anecdotes, but as this is a rumour that plagued message boards over the year re: Warnock, I thought it worth sharing...

View attachment 94802

David Norris said on Undr the Cosh last year that the rumours were true. He and Michael Brown (on the same podcast) also commented on Warnock’s practises re fines. Chris Morgan has also spoken about fines on podcasts. And, of course, there is Jason Puncheon on Twitter.

David Norris said on Undr the Cosh last year that the rumours were true. He and Michael Brown (on the same podcast) also commented on Warnock’s practises re fines. Chris Morgan has also spoken about fines on podcasts. And, of course, there is Jason Puncheon on Twitter.

Taking a cut of a fine is a rather different accusation to taking a payment to be put in the team.

Taking a cut of a fine is a rather different accusation to taking a payment to be put in the team.

Norris commented on the latter issue I think.

The conduct alleged re fines would certainly be grounds for dismissal and might be criminal in nature depending on the actual facts.

Norris commented on the latter issue I think.

The conduct alleged re fines would certainly be grounds for dismissal and might be criminal in nature depending on the actual facts.
I’ve not seen the Norris allegations. Has he stuck with the story, or reversed his story like Puncheon?

I do find it extremely odd that for an allegation of something people reported as something he was doing all the time, which must be fairly easy to gather evidence on, and given how many enemies Warnock has made in the game, that absolutely nothing has ever remotely stuck.

I’ve not seen the Norris allegations. Has he stuck with the story, or reversed his story like Puncheon?

I do find it extremely odd that for an allegation of something people reported as something he was doing all the time, which must be fairly easy to gather evidence on, and given how many enemies Warnock has made in the game, that absolutely nothing has ever remotely stuck.

Puncheon did not reverse his story. He was told to take down the tweets by the FA and complied.

He is on record as saying that the FA never asked him about the basis for his comments or to his knowledge carried on any investigation.

Norris did not make a big deal of it. It merely came up in the podcast.

He is on record as saying that the FA never asked him about the basis for his comments or to his knowledge carried on any investigation.
Didn’t he remove them because of a libel threat?

The FA must have been getting their own cut of the brown paper bag deals then. It’s the only possible explanation as to why they wouldn’t have taken the allegations further...

Didn’t he remove them because of a libel threat?

The FA must have been getting their own cut of the brown paper bag deals then. It’s the only possible explanation as to why they wouldn’t have taken the allegations further...

no it’s not. If it’s true (and I have no idea if it is) there is an interest in not rolling away the stone and seeing what’s underneath.

my personal view is that some of Stories about the dubious practices Warnock adopts for fines are true, on the basis that they are oft repeated, Warnock has never threatened anyone who has told these tales (unlike the appearance one) and FWIW two of our ex players also described one specific instance to me.

I have no idea if the appearance stories are true, although managers putting on subs just so they can get bonus money certainly does happen.

I used to have few contacts around Bramall Lane, however that hasn't been the case for years .Someone once told me that Warnock told sharp he would put him in the team ,but he wanted a % of his wage .This was before we flogged him first time around .I was told that sharp refused Warnocks proposal.
I don't know if this is true , but its what I was told .

I remember my thoughts at the time that the ban was announced, in a very patronising tone I remember saying to myself "silly fat bastard".

Tune in tomorrow for the next instalment of 'Voices in my head' by Derek Acorah.

Really enjoyed the Undr The Cosh he has done. Tempted to buy the book and I never read autobiographies.

Part 2 of the Undr The Cosh podcast:

Just watched that. Great watch, as was the first, and I was amazed to hear about the minimum fee from other articles and what happened. Fair play to Paddy and it's a real shame he left in the circumstances he did.

He's got some good stories as well of course. Fair play to Under the Cosh for the podcast, they seem to do a few ex-Blades players and all a good watch.

Just watched that. Great watch, as was the first, and I was amazed to hear about the minimum fee from other articles and what happened. Fair play to Paddy and it's a real shame he left in the circumstances he did.

He's got some good stories as well of course. Fair play to Under the Cosh for the podcast, they seem to do a few ex-Blades players and all a good watch.

Unsurprising to hear we fucked him off for the money and thought we were getting a better deal with bringing Steve Simonson on a free. Part one of our demise to League 1 right there that.

My favorite thing about Warnock is the application of Sudocrem... cracks me up every time someone mentions it.

Back
Top Bottom