Which two Blades players played the most games together?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

PeterNdlovu081

COCK PISS PARTRIDGE
Reaction score
This is a very broad question which perhaps has an obvious answer.

In the modern era, let's say from the year 2000 onwards I first thought it would be Paddy Kenny and Phil Jagielka.

During the Warnock years Kenny was was always our number one goalkeeper and Jagielka was famous for never missing a game.

From the 2002-03 season to 2006-07 when we were relegated from the Premier League Jagielka only missed 7 league games which is astonishing.

But then Kenny continued for another 2+ seasons after Jagielka left.

Which leads me to believe that the answer is Kenny and Morgan.

Morgan joined before the start of the 2003-04 season and played regularly right through until 2010-11. Kenny left two games into the 2009-10 season.

Or maybe it's Jagielka and Montgomery? Or Tonge and Jagielka? Or Kenny and Montgomery? Or Morgan and Montgomery?

Montgomery started playing in 2000-01 and outlasted Jagielka, Kenny and Morgan.

Or more recently Basham and Sharp? Basham and Fleck?

The older posters among you will know a lot more about the 70s, 80s and 90s.

It's difficult to work out because you'd have to go through each season and work out what players played in exactly which matches.

And it becomes even more complex when you expand it to all competitions.

Last edited:

During the 90s it must surely have been Simon Tracey and Dane Whitehouse who were both pretty much everpresent.

But Tracey had several loans during 1994 and 1995.

And Whitehouse only ended up with 231 league appearances in total.

Is that more than anything Kenny and Jagielka or Kenny and Morgan did?

In the modern era, let's say from the year 2000 onwards I first thought it would be Paddy Kenny and Phil Jagielka.

During the Warnock years Kenny was was always our number one goalkeeper and Jagielka was famous for never missing a game.

From the 2002-03 season to 2006-07 when we were relegated from the Premier League Jagielka only missed 7 league games which is astonishing.

Morgan joined before the start of the 2003-04 season and played regularly right through until 2010-11. Kenny left two games into the 2009-10 season.

Or maybe it's Jagielka and Montgomery? Or Tonge and Jagielka? Or Kenny and Montgomery? Or Morgan and Montgomery?

It's difficult to work out because you'd have to go through each season and work out what players played in exactly which matches.

I like this question and look forward very much to the definitive answer which Silent will no doubt provide , along with a side note as to their favourite breakfast cereal and the make and model of car they first owned . :)

I would be surprised if one of them was not my all time hero who played over 700 games for us in an almost incredible 21 year period .

If I’m right in this assumption , then the other player I would go for in the pairing would be Cec Coldwell who I remember as also having a long career with us and in the same era .

Silent ?

It’ll be a pair from ye olden days. I reckon Badger and Woodward

I like this question and look forward very much to the definitive answer which Silent will no doubt provide , along with a side note as to their favourite breakfast cereal and the make and model of car they first owned . :)

I would be surprised if one of them was not my all time hero who played over 700 games for us in an almost incredible 21 year period .

If I’m right in this assumption , then the other player I would go for in the pairing would be Cec Coldwell who I remember as also having a long career with us and in the same era .

Silent ?

Probably should have read this first mind. Gotta be Shaw and another?

Joe Shaw played 1948-9 to 1965-6 and played 632 league games. Other players who played 400 plus times and played the bulk of their career then are:

Alan Hodgkinson 1953-4 to 1970-71
Graham Shaw 1951-2 to 1967-8
Cec Coldwell 1951-2 to 1966-7

I suspect it is some combination of these 4 players. I think Isaw Joeshaw is probably right in that Joe Shaw is one of the two. Having said that, G Shaw and Coldwell overlap almost completely so it could be them.

Also in the running are Alan Woodward and Len Badger, who also overlap closely (1964-5 to 1978-9 and 1962-3 to 1975-6).

There are some big overlaps in the 1920s too (Fred Tunstall and Billy Gillespie most notably) but I would be very surprised if the 1950s players do not hold the record.

The definitive answer can be worked out with a copy of one of the Clarebrough and Kirkham stats books without much difficulty.

Last edited:

Brewster and McBurnie?

My thought is
Gary Speed
Ugo Ehiogu.
Luton Shelton. Astonishing to think they may possibly have all been on the team together and are all dead.

I’d guess that Paddy Kenny and Nick Montgomery could be the answer from the 2000s

What we really need is someone to put all the stats from the Clarebrough books into a database, then we could answer all sorts of 2am questions like this! Any volunteers? :)

It would help to pass the time to end of the season anyway

Not sure what year he was born but I'll have a guess at Kellogg's Sugar Smacks and a teal blue Morris Minor.

I’d guess that Paddy Kenny and Nick Montgomery could be the answer from the 2000s

Kenny's first season was 2002-03 and Morgan's was 2003-04.

Montgomery was obviously here before and after them both.

I'd still say Kenny and Morgan played more times than Kenny and Montgomery because Montgomery was only ever a semi regular starter.

In most seasons Montgomery only had twenty odd league appearances.

Even factoring in Morgan's persistent propensity for a red card.

Kenny's first season was 2002-03 and Morgan's was 2003-04.

Montgomery was obviously here before and after them both.

I'd still say Kenny and Morgan played more times than Kenny and Montgomery because Montgomery was only ever a semi regular starter.

In most seasons Montgomery only had twenty odd league appearances.

Even factoring in Morgan's persistent propensity for a red card.

I think Monty ended up racking up 300-350 appearances in total, and even though he might have only been a semi regular starters, a huge proportion of the games he didn't play, he would have been more than likely to have come on as a sub,

Would Paul Stancliffe be one for the 80s? Joined in 83 and still playing in 1990.

Won't be the most but Basham and Sharp will have played alot of games together. Rarely injured and together 8 seasons.

I have done some checks.

I think this is the top 3 all time, league games only:

402 games together - Alan Woodward and Len Badger
392 games together - Joe Shaw and Graham Shaw
360 games together - Joe Shaw and Cec Coldwell

Also over 300 is Hodgy with both of the Shaws.

So there you go.

I have done some checks.

So there you go.

Now do 2000 to 2010.

🙂

We had Rob Kozluk for 8 years all the way through the Warnock years so maybe him and Kenny.

Now do 2000 to 2010.

🙂
I haven’t checked all possible combinations but I think the top 3 are:

Kenny and Tonge 192 league games together
Jagielka and Tonge 191 league games together
Jagielka and Kenny 186 games together

When you do this you realise how patchy Morgan’s injury and suspension record was. 32, 41, 39, 24 (38 game season), 25, 41, 37 and 8 games. A lot of absences. We missed him in 07 and 08 when he was out.

What we really need is someone to put all the stats from the Clarebrough books into a database, then we could answer all sorts of 2am questions like this! Any volunteers? :)

It would help to pass the time to end of the season anyway
Oh god yes.

Bagsy not me.

I have done some checks.

So there you go.

So I was right? What do I win?

I’m going to throw a complete curve ball into the mix.

Paul Garner and Keith Edwards.

I’m probably miles off

At the other end of the scale I wonder if any stattos know which players have been on the books the longest whilst playing the least number of games? James Wallace and Rhian Brewster are the first to come to mind for me.

Back
Top Bottom