Colours & colour blindness

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

West Brom QPR tonight. 22 players in blue and white. I’m all for away teams playing in their proper colours but it looks very strange and it’s hard to tell them apart.
Thing is, QPR away kit is all black and given the thick blocks of dark blue on the West Brom kit, that would have been much harder than the hoops v stripes situation. Not sure if they have a yellow third kit or something that would have been the answer.

Really not good yesterday for me personally. Don’t even really want to offer much of a critique of the game as I could hardly tell who was who at times. Glad I didn’t pay for a ticket - might as well have gone and thrown £30 in the channel.

Really not good yesterday for me personally. Don’t even really want to offer much of a critique of the game as I could hardly tell who was who at times. Glad I didn’t pay for a ticket - might as well have gone and thrown £30 in the channel.
Just watched the highlights, why on Earth did we pick that kit? Surely our home kit would be better.

We need to have a yellow or white 3rd kit. That green kit from last year is really bad for us colour blind folks

I manage to watch the game but mainly due to my knowing the players and looking at the shorts I was able to distinguish. If I didn't know either team it would have been very hard work.

Yeh i thought the same - when JLT headed across to Davies for the goal; I literally could not see the keeper anywhere

I didn't think about this at the time either, but watching it back it's obvious.

It seems to becoming more of an issue as kits use 'non-traditional' colours and the unnecessary use of away/3rd kits keeps increasing too.

Screenshot_2022-02-25-09-29-50-58_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Bristol City in plain dark red shirts v us in plain black shirts… another game where I can only tell the teams apart by the colour of the shorts! FFS!

Bristol City in plain dark red shirts v us in plain black shirts… another game where I can only tell the teams apart by the colour of the shorts! FFS!
I didn't have that problem on Monday but I did struggle with Bournemouth's green/black/green combination again our red backs/black/red.

I wrote to the efl fans liaison asking why with all the fuss about this do they still allow teams to play in green when the home club wears red. Still waiting for a response.

Tinterweb says colour blindness affects 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women.

Big problem, fans and for players. Surprised, it isn't getting more attention and sorted.
The problem is starting to be addressed, biggest clash I’ve seen was when we played liverpool away as our dark green kit was impossible to tell apart from their red. But it’s amazing how varied the clashes can be that some people can be fine and others again can’t tell the teams apart.

It got so bad for me that game that I couldn’t watch,

A big part of the problem is also when sides play in all one colour (shirts, shorts, socks all the same) as there is literally no way of telling the colours apart. It seems that international teams (or FIFA/ UEFA) favour this block approach.

Certainly needs much more consideration, especially for TV games when we have to watch £10 per game and then you can’t watch it.

The problem is starting to be addressed, biggest clash I’ve seen was when we played liverpool away as our dark green kit was impossible to tell apart from their red. But it’s amazing how varied the clashes can be that some people can be fine and others again can’t tell the teams apart.

It got so bad for me that game that I couldn’t watch,

A big part of the problem is also when sides play in all one colour (shirts, shorts, socks all the same) as there is literally no way of telling the colours apart. It seems that international teams (or FIFA/ UEFA) favour this block approach.

Certainly needs much more consideration, especially for TV games when we have to watch £10 per game and then you can’t watch it.
On those stats, loads of players must suffer the same.

On those stats, loads of players must suffer the same.
I don’t ever recall getting confused with kit colours when I played, but I think kit colours were much more simple 10-20 years ago.

I also don’t have too much problem when I’m in the ground, seems much worse on TV

Bizarre we’re not In our away kit tonight
At QPR,
Really hard to tell the difference when both sides have so much white and the blue/ red look so similar

Bizarre we’re not In our away kit tonight
At QPR,
Really hard to tell the difference when both sides have so much white and the blue/ red look so similar
Wouldn't stripes vs hoops make it easier.

Reason I ask was that I was thinking that distinct design differences also ought to help i.e if one team wears stripes, the other wears plain. Or vertical vs horizontal I'd think would be easy enough to pick out.

It's definitely something that should have a greater thought. As nice as that racing green shirt looked, I'd have thought that looks similar to a team playing in red. For which that is the reason you are changing in the first place.

Hopefully next year they can sort this out too.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist on these things and we never had an issue at school when we were shirts vs skins!

Wouldn't stripes vs hoops make it easier.

Reason I ask was that I was thinking that distinct design differences also ought to help i.e if one team wears stripes, the other wears plain. Or vertical vs horizontal I'd think would be easy enough to pick out.

It's definitely something that should have a greater thought. As nice as that racing green shirt looked, I'd have thought that looks similar to a team playing in red. For which that is the reason you are changing in the first place.

Hopefully next year they can sort this out too.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist on these things and we never had an issue at school when we were shirts vs skins!
It’s the colours rather than how they’re laid out on the shirt

Back
Top Bottom