Brooks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wilder's interview is interesting.

Good interview. Two months ago he was a decent academy kid, now he's the new TC. The most important thing for him is to keep his feet on the ground and realise that this is just the beginning.

Hmmmm.. Clarke's defensive work last night was infinitely better than his work at the other end.
No it was.
He actually closes the ball down a lot more than I give home credit for.
That's not really defending though, but let's be fair that's not Brooks or Clarke's game.

No it was.
He actually closes the ball down a lot more than I give home credit for.
That's not really defending though, but let's be fair that's not Brooks or Clarke's game.

High pressing is very much part of Wilders philosophy when it comes to setting his side's up to compete . Brooks clearly still has a great deal of ' developing ' to do in this respect and that's why he's destined for the subs bench right now . Quite why so many clamour for him to start straight away seems ludicrous to me . :confused:

It's not my thoughts on the matter that are relevant in this instance fred , its Wilders .

To me its the age old problem in England with flair players,people questioning there work rate and saying,yes but is he good at tracking back,let them play,let them sprinkle the magic dust,trust in what they can do with the ball rather than focusing on what they cannot do,think TC,Alan Hudson,Hoddle,Gazza,Barkley i am not saying DB is on a par with them but you get my drift,there is a mistrust of these maverick type of players,always has been in England,that is why a donkey carthorse like Pinhead won more caps for England than Tony Currie.

There endeth my rant,and relax

Sadly I can't see him being here when September comes around.

Really hope I'm wrong but doubt it very much.
Its about time sheff utd board realised what a great prospect we have, offered him a new 4 year contract and told the likes of everton to go away and not come back unless they were prepared to pay a minimum of 12million just like southampton did to arsenal with wallcott and oxlade chamberlain

Its about time sheff utd board realised what a great prospect we have, offered him a new 4 year contract and told the likes of everton to go away and not come back unless they were prepared to pay a minimum of 12million just like southampton did to arsenal with wallcott and oxlade chamberlain

So Thorpy by definition are you saying increase his wage from £2K to £20K making him the highest paid player.
He's not ever played a game in the men's league yet and you're suggesting he's worth around £10 million.
Amazing!!

Agents negotiate salaries based on the players worth (transfer fee wise) to the club, so if you're confident we could get £10 million for him in 2 or 3 years then the agent can easily justify that he's worth £20K a week salary (which is £4 million over 4 years).

He's hugely talented and has great potential but he's currently no where near good enough to get a starting place. There's a massive difference between the Toulon under 19 tournemnrnt and the real deal of men's standard league football.

Last edited:
High pressing is very much part of Wilders philosophy when it comes to setting his side's up to compete . Brooks clearly still has a great deal of ' developing ' to do in this respect and that's why he's destined for the subs bench right now . Quite why so many clamour for him to start straight away seems ludicrous to me . :confused:

Plenty of others that can press, just give him the ball and he makes things happen, that's his job. If he's good enough he's old enough.

So Thorpy by definition are you saying increase his wage from £2K to £20K making him the highest paid player.
He's not ever played a game in the men's league yet and you're suggesting he's worth around £10 million.
Amazing!!

Agents negotiate salaries based on the players worth (transfer fee wise) to the club, so if you're confident we could get £10 million for him in 2 or 3 years then the agent can easily justify that he's worth £20K a week salary (which is £4 million over 4 years).

He's hugely talented and has great potential but he's currently no where near good enough to get a starting place. There's a massive difference between the Toulon under 19 tournemnrnt and the real deal of men's standard league football.
IMO he should be used from the start of the season, given he's currently being used pre-season, why not ? and if this means only off the bench then so be it. If he shines his value rockets, if he doesn't do so well, interest in him will drop and this will also settle our curiosity. What I don't want us to do, and it is probably what we will do, is leave him out of the squad which will entice the 'top dogs' to take a punt and he'll be off for for the standard £1/£1.5M without us ever seeing what he could do. Play him and if he's shit in the 'men's league' then never mind, cost nowt anyway. If he is awesome, we have a top new signing or a much more valuable asset.

Plenty of others that can press, just give him the ball and he makes things happen, that's his job. If he's good enough he's old enough.

I'm tending to agree but the important factor of effective pressing is that EVERYONE does it.
If there's a weak link then the whole pressing tactic breaks is no where near as effective.

I would have thought the club won't offer Brooke's a new salary until they see some evidence of what he can do in the Championship.
No doubt Wilder will protect him and initially give him substitute appearances.
If he impresses then I might get the odd start to see how he copes.

I'm tending to agree but the important factor of effective pressing is that EVERYONE does it.
If there's a weak link then the whole pressing tactic breaks is no where near as effective.

I would have thought the club won't offer Brooke's a new salary until they see some evidence of what he can do in the Championship.
No doubt Wilder will protect him and initially give him substitute appearances.
If he impresses then I might get the odd start to see how he copes.

I don't buy it pal, I'm not saying he stands still with his hands on his hips but every team needs balance, with that you need flair and he has this potentially like no player we've had in a long, long time.

IMO he should be used from the start of the season, given he's currently being used pre-season, why not ? and if this means only off the bench then so be it. If he shines his value rockets, if he doesn't do so well, interest in him will drop and this will also settle our curiosity. What I don't want us to do, and it is probably what we will do, is leave him out of the squad which will entice the 'top dogs' to take a punt and he'll be off for for the standard £1/£1.5M without us ever seeing what he could do. Play him and if he's shit in the 'men's league' then never mind, cost nowt anyway. If he is awesome, we have a top new signing or a much more valuable asset.

Understand what you're saying but his pre season to date has been against relatively poor opposition.
The Toulon tournement was international but not much older than school boy level.

Brooks preseason with us have all been as sub playing against weaker opposition who have just started per season and probably won't be as fit as him. He's probably feeling great at the moment with high confidence. If we start him against Brentford and Boro, we lose both and he's too lightweight and struggles playing against big men then it could destroy his confidence and we've then lost an asset for next season.

I'm sure Wilder will try to keep him grounded and talk about gradual development with protection. He'll be in the squad building experience but can't see him initially starting any matches unless he really impresses whilst sub.

Whilst ever we believe he has this much potential seriously doubt we'd ever sell for 1 million or so. Why would we?

Understand what you're saying but his pre season to date has been against relatively poor opposition.
The Toulon tournement was international but not much older than school boy level.

Brooks preseason with us have all been as sub playing against weaker opposition who have just started per season and probably won't be as fit as him. He's probably feeling great at the moment with high confidence. If we start him against Brentford and Boro, we lose both and he's too lightweight and struggles playing against big men then it could destroy his confidence and we've then lost an asset for next season.

I'm sure Wilder will try to keep him grounded and talk about gradual development with protection. He'll be in the squad building experience but can't see him initially starting any matches unless he really impresses whilst sub.

Whilst ever we believe he has this much potential seriously doubt we'd ever sell for 1 million or so. Why would we?
I can't disagree with your comments either to be honest. I haven't seen him and am only reading the hype to be fair. But young players can burst on to the scene, so why not him ? If it doesn't work then we withdraw him from the first team, not all players will have there confidence destroyed by this and I'm sure Wilder would be able to sort that but I do see what your saying.

Also, can you keep someone grounded who's being offered the wages they do in the U23 development league in the Premier League though ? He could potentially get £10K per week with them ! or £1K a week with us as a reserve player.

I still say stick him in and have a go, but totally understand if Wilder doesn't do this

I don't know if this will have any bearing on his future but maybe it will.....

The kid came through the ranks of Man City spent a long time there and then they just dropped him. So he's experienced being at a PL club and it didn't end well hopefully he will be well advised and told to stay and get the games,make a name for himself on the pitch.

Hopefully there is the slightest of slight chances he will play in the PL with us but realistically it will pan out as following

Plays a part in our first team impresses leaves for Everton in Jan with a loan back till the summer for around £6-£8m

I think he'll get regular games for us this coming season. Perhaps not at first, because I'm expecting we'll start with the tried and tested Clarke and Sharp up front, but when you consider that Clarke, Sharp and Hanson are all getting on a bit and don't have much in the way of pace, then the introduction of Lavery and Brooks is only a matter of time.

My own view is that he will begin the season on the bench and then it's up to him to take his chance when he gets his opportunity

Gut feeling is bench warmer first half of season and a regular by the end of the season (provided Prem clubs don't come calling and Brooks continues with his improvement)

There is no way, unless Tufty is playing a masterful game of smoke and mirrors, that he will start against Brentford. Given that it's looking like we're starting with pretty much the same team as last year, the only way you could see him possibly coming in is for Duffy, unless he goes with one up top and plays him just behind, but that's probably the role Carruthers would take.

With keeper cover, 2/3 defensive cover, 2/3 strikers, Thomas on the sidelines, Lunstram signing imminent, there's very little room even on the bench for him. And all this time, he'll be speaking to DCL who'll be telling him about how he's having a great time at Everton on 4 times the money he's on.

It's a dilemma for Tufty who probably doesn't want to throw him in yet but unfortunately, I can only see this going one way.

There is no way, unless Tufty is playing a masterful game of smoke and mirrors, that he will start against Brentford. Given that it's looking like we're starting with pretty much the same team as last year, the only way you could see him possibly coming in is for Duffy, unless he goes with one up top and plays him just behind, but that's probably the role Carruthers would take.

With keeper cover, 2/3 defensive cover, 2/3 strikers, Thomas on the sidelines, Lunstram signing imminent, there's very little room even on the bench for him. And all this time, he'll be speaking to DCL who'll be telling him about how he's having a great time at Everton on 4 times the money he's on.

It's a dilemma for Tufty who probably doesn't want to throw him in yet but unfortunately, I can only see this going one way.

Keeper and 2 from each department on the bench for me and whilst CW can pick from a number of midfielders to sit on the bench and I agree, presently Brooks would be further down the list if CW gets his targets over the line, injuries may give Brooks an opportunity. It's up to him then whether he can take it. From what I have seen at the moment. Brooks offers us something a little different when we go forward. I think as a young un, consistency is needed, but the lad certainly has something.

Keeper and 2 from each department on the bench for me and whilst CW can pick from a number of midfielders to sit on the bench and I agree, presently Brooks would be further down the list if CW gets his targets over the line, injuries may give Brooks an opportunity. It's up to him then whether he can take it. From what I have seen at the moment. Brooks offers us something a little different when we go forward. I think as a young un, consistency is needed, but the lad certainly has something.

He certainly has something different but Tufty isn't spending the money he has to leave those new signings out and he has Coutts, Fleck, Duffy, Carruthers, Thomas and probably Lunstram already in that Dept.

I think that covers everything that can be said about David Brooks 5 times over but I'd like to say something daft as well just to draw attention to myself (something I could have easily found out), so what odds can I get on Brooks being the championship top scorer this season?

Hmmmm.

Plenty were saying the same about Diego and how we must tie him down. That 'potential' worked out well for us....

It's amazing how easy it is to spend someone else's money. £20k per week on an 18 year, say a four year deal, with NI and pension is about £5m. Then people ask 'where has all the money gone'.

I’d guess “a good first team wage” meant more like £7-10k per week rather than £20k.

And Diego is a prime example of the injury risk referred to.

I agree that we should try and keep him. I'm just not convinced how easy it will be without taking big risks.

You say the only risk is that he gets injured. I know you're 100% convinced that he'll make it but he's never played in the Championship so there's some risk there however much we all rate him. Wolves have spent £18m on a player and I wouldn't say he's guaranteed to be a success in the Championship so Brooks certainly isn't nailed on.

The more important factor is that a Premier League club will be able to pay more than whatever we offer him. Let's say we give him a contract on £7,000 a week (which I would've thought will be more than other squad members with more experience) and Everton offer him £11,000. What happens then? Do we go to £12,000?

I think we've got one card that we can play and that's giving him game time. That should only happen (and will only happen) though if Wilder thinks including him gives us our best chance of 3 points.

£5,000 a week and Wilder's word that he'll be in or around the first team if he meets the necessary standards. That probably gives us a chance of keeping him in the short-term.

What we don't know of course is just how much Wilder rates him. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a massive fan of DCL and saw the fee as more than acceptable and I think Ramsdale was seen as expendable given he was unlikely to be first choice in the next couple of years.

You’ve touched on it but I don’t think we need to offer as much or more than a PL team because of the fact he’s likely to play and develop better here. But the wage of course has to be competitive. All speculation but I would think a figure in the region of £7k would give us a chance.

Didn't we have him under contract before the injury? Either we turned bids down for the boy wonder or no one save Juve of course, came in for him.

Ive seen plenty of "the next big thing" at BL over the years, most of whom disappeared into relative obscurity.

Who would you say were seriously touted as “next big thing” that disappeared into obscurity? I don’t mean people like Joe Ironside etc. where there was a view that he might be decent, I’m talking real exctiting talent attracting interest from top clubs:- during my time, the names that jump out are:

Dane Whitehouse (Huge success)

Mitch Ward (success)

Wayne Quinn (initial success then faded badly after injury but still got a decent fee)

John Reed (flopped)

Lee Morris (as per Wayne Quinn)

Curtis Woodhouse (lost his way but again, commanded a decent fee after some early success).

Nick Montgomery (steady, limited player who had a decent career)

Michael Tonge (Success though probably not quite to the extent many thought in his early years)

Phil Jagielka (Huge success)

Kyle Naughton (success)

Kyle Walker (huge success)

Matt Lowton (success)

Jordan Slew (flopped)

Louis Reed (stagnated- but will likely make an OK career out of the game)

George Long (as per Reed)

Harry Maguire (Huge success)

Terry Kennedy (early promise ravaged by injury)

Diego De Girolamo (early promise ravaged by injury)

A fair share of success stories there with a couple of the failures being in part down to injury.

The clubs invests a seven figure sum in the academy annually, in the hope that the best lads will make a telling impact in the first team, or be sold for a telling fee. If the best players are not on long contracts we risk undermining this hope. It's, therefore, up to the highly skilled staff to decide what type of deal Brooks is worth, and the quid pro quo of giving him that deal to get him on that longer contract. Ramsdale is a cautionary tale, which largely pre dates Wilder's involvement in the club.We sold him with less than a year on his deaI, with two prem teams interested. I would say that it's notable that Fleck and O'Connell only have two years left on their deals. How much would they be worth in twelve months time - with only twelve months left as opposed to say three years? If Wilder's certain that they'll flourish at championship level, wouldn't it be best to get them signed up now, before the secret is out? United need to protect its assets.

I think Wilder will want a look at them at this level first. I fully expect that if they do well, extension talks will begin in the run up to xmas.

Back
Top Bottom