Brooks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hmmmm.

Plenty were saying the same about Diego and how we must tie him down. That 'potential' worked out well for us....

It's amazing how easy it is to spend someone else's money. £20k per week on an 18 year, say a four year deal, with NI and pension is about £5m. Then people ask 'where has all the money gone'.

Didn't he get arguably the worst injury a footballer can get? Did his anterior cruciate ligament..Many players are never the same after that one.

The clubs invests a seven figure sum in the academy annually, in the hope that the best lads will make a telling impact in the first team, or be sold for a telling fee. If the best players are not on long contracts we risk undermining this hope. It's, therefore, up to the highly skilled staff to decide what type of deal Brooks is worth, and the quid pro quo of giving him that deal to get him on that longer contract. Ramsdale is a cautionary tale, which largely pre dates Wilder's involvement in the club.We sold him with less than a year on his deaI, with two prem teams interested. I would say that it's notable that Fleck and O'Connell only have two years left on their deals. How much would they be worth in twelve months time - with only twelve months left as opposed to say three years? If Wilder's certain that they'll flourish at championship level, wouldn't it be best to get them signed up now, before the secret is out? United need to protect its assets.

It's clear that he's good enough and makes things happen more than anyone we have. He simply has to play a part when it comes to the league games.

Not bothered if it's just friendlies. Perhaps just from the bench to start with as Carruthers was really impressive too.

He's something special and leads the race for starting v Brentford for me, Sami/Duffy are good but this kid is brilliant.

Well, he won the game for us again didn't he?

He once again did something nobody else in our squad could've done. That dink was Messi like.

And he made the first goal too. With two men on him he kept calm and found the incisive pass.

He simply looks like making something happen every time he gets it in the final third.

Having Lavery and Brooks on the pitch is something worth looking at because in these two friendlies we've been a different team when they've come on, be it with Brooks behind two strikers or two attacking midfielders behind one striker.

Carruthers has looked decent so far in pre season as well but he won't score or create as many goals as Brooks will. For this reason I think Brooks should be in pole position for a starting role.

The only thing that stopped him making an impact earlier was his slight frame, but the England tournament has not only given him the confidence he needed, but also the arrogance needed to elevate his game. If he carries on, he starts against Brentford, no doubt, as our attacking midfielder, in front of both Duffy and Carruthers.

Everything he touches at the moment turns to gold. We haven't had a player that gets everyone on the edge of their seat every time he's on the ball for a long time, we have now.

What I will say though is that I thought Carruthers was brilliant today. It's the first time I really thought we missed him when he went off too. I've not been completely sold on him yet but tonight's performance put me on the right track.
Brooks will get a lot more run outs this season but it's clear to see that in midfield the competition for places is going to be big.

First 15 minutes he did nothing but pass the ball to Toytown!

Everything he touches at the moment turns to gold. We haven't had a player that gets everyone on the edge of their seat every time he's on the ball for a long time, we have now.

What I will say though is that I thought Carruthers was brilliant today. It's the first time I really thought we missed him when he went off too. I've not been completely sold on him yet but tonight's performance put me on the right track.
Brooks will get a lot more run outs this season but it's clear to see that in midfield the competition for places is going to be big.

Very sensible. We should all remember that we want what's best for our club, whether that accords with our personal preferences or not.

Brooks is going, no question in my mind.

All part of our strategy of being a "lower league Chelsea" (i.e. superb academy / no-one from it ever makes it to the first team to develop there / cash cow).

But why be unhappy about it? Other than that it would be seriously good to have "our own" coming through, just as the way football ought to be (and is, in the case of certain clubs).

But anyway, tbh, the trajectory's great. Chris is cherry-picking like a goodun. Picking uppers rather than downers.

Would much, much rather Brooks stay. But resigned to him going. Tbh Samir staying, and developing, and thriving, is far more important.

As someone who's seen very little of Brookseh can someone else tell me what his defensive play is like ?

I'd have him on the bench as an attacking option. Defenders look terrified, made both goals last night.

Agreed . And despite the clamour on here for us to build the first team around him , realistically this is the best we all can hope for .

Back
Top Bottom