Brooks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm pretty sure he was playing right back when I saw him playing for Spurs at WHL against Arsenal in the league cup.

That's exactly where he's always played apart from a short spell with us to accommodate KW. Not exactly the Road to Damascus, you might think..

I couldn't agree more.
I'm all for being a team player and chipping in but it's great seeing a young, enthusiastic, talented young player play with such exuberance and fearlessness.
I have to admit that I still of a soft spot for Duffy because he's so positive and brave(in the sense that he never hides and always tries the difficult balls) and seems to still love playing the game.
So it might not be Brooks age and lack of experience that makes him such a breath of fresh air, he could just be the next T.C.
Sorry but I do take issue with the 'next TC' thing. If TC was playing now he'd be playing for Real or Barca. We might as well say Brooks is the next Messi.

Does everything and everyone connected with the club have to be either 'fucking shit' or 'fucking brilliant'?

Sorry but I do take issue with the 'next TC' thing. If TC was playing now he'd be playing for Real or Barca. We might as well say Brooks is the next Messi.

Does everything and everyone connected with the club have to be either 'fucking shit' or 'fucking brilliant'?

That's a rhetorical question, isn't it...

A few quick points.

1) I'm 32, I've never seen TC play.

2) I said "could be" as good

3) the last player I classed as fucking shit was Hammond and the last I described as fucking brilliant was Fleck. Surely both are hard to disagree with.

A few quick points.

3) the last player I classed as fucking shit was Hammond and the last I described as fucking brilliant was Fleck. Surely both are hard to disagree with.
It's not just you. I've heard it from a number of people. 'Could be' is usually used to imply some kind of reasonable likelihood rather than a remote possibility. I just think we need to calm down a bit. He's a really good prospect who may well go on to be a top level player. If he was actually looking like he's going to be the next TC we'd have seen bids in excess of £3m for him already.

Everton buying DCL was a strange one,i am convinced they bought an 'athlete' and they think they can make him a 'footballer',i think this is the wrong way around.

I'm not entirely convinced it's wrong but there has to be some footballing ability. I thought Kyle Walker was an exceptional athlete and a decent footballer. He's developed the footballing side since to go with his unrivalled athleticism to become a world class player.

It's not just you. I've heard it from a number of people. 'Could be' is usually used to imply some kind of reasonable likelihood rather than a remote possibility. I just think we need to calm down a bit. He's a really good prospect who may well go on to be a top level player. If he was actually looking like he's going to be the next TC we'd have seen bids in excess of £3m for him already.

I've got mixed feelings about this. I accept your common sense view and there is more hype than substance around young David at the moment.

On the other hand, I'm the last to stifle enthusiasm for a genuinely gifted footballer, and I'm beginning to think he is just that, with all the wisdom of someone who has yet to see him play...

I think what folks are saying is that Brooks is an exceptional talent. By exceptional we mean that he's unusually talented versus lots of other good players that have come through the Academy and made a career of it. So there's a lot of optimism. Put it this way, DCL was "promising" but far from the finished article and I think most of us were surprised when Everton paid good money for him. Brooks looks ten times the player that DCL was - and DCL has gone on to feature in Everton's first team and get international honours. So it's natural that folks are very excited about what this kid could develop into. The fact he's a striker/attacking midfielder also means his value will be higher than if he was a goalkeeper or defender. We've seen a few others over the years, like Slew, like De Girolamo, like Tonge, who all looked good prospects, but for different reasons failed to deliver and make the top level. But this lad looks better than all of them tbh. It's a long road and he could fade and become a flop yet, we appreciate that, but permit us a bit of excitement for now because we've not had a right lot to look forward to over the past few years.

I've got mixed feelings about this. I accept your common sense view and there is more hype than substance around young David at the moment.

On the other hand, I'm the last to stifle enthusiasm for a genuinely gifted footballer, and I'm beginning to think he is just that, with all the wisdom of someone who has yet to see him play...
Alright, I admit to watching some 'classic' PL at the weekend and saw Cantona put a ball in for Cryuff Jnr with backspin that baffled the defender and thinking 'Brooksy can do that' but I'm trying to show restraint.

We might as well say Brooks is the next Messi.

Be careful or some ne'er-do-well will be quoting that and demanding that the £20k per week for the yet as unplayed kid, be increased to £100k.

A few things are just 'gash' but in the main you seem to have covered things pretty well there.

Think that's a little unfair on Michael Tonge. At the same age as Brooks he was established in the 1st team in the championship and getting a brace against Premier League Liverpool in one of the cups. He was a mainstay of the team for a number of years. Whilst he ultimately didn't kick on and become an England player like many expected, what's to say Brookes will. Tonge was every bit the player Brookes is at the same age. Take a look at some clips on YouTube if you doubt me.

Think that's a little unfair on Michael Tonge. At the same age as Brooks he was established in the 1st team in the championship and getting a brace against Premier League Liverpool in one of the cups. He was a mainstay of the team for a number of years. Whilst he ultimately didn't kick on and become an England player like many expected, what's to say Brookes will. Tonge was every bit the player Brookes is at the same age. Take a look at some clips on YouTube if you doubt me.

Could still do a job too. Says me and no one else. :)

I think what folks are saying is that Brooks is an exceptional talent. By exceptional we mean that he's unusually talented versus lots of other good players that have come through the Academy and made a career of it. So there's a lot of optimism. Put it this way, DCL was "promising" but far from the finished article and I think most of us were surprised when Everton paid good money for him. Brooks looks ten times the player that DCL was - and DCL has gone on to feature in Everton's first team and get international honours. So it's natural that folks are very excited about what this kid could develop into. The fact he's a striker/attacking midfielder also means his value will be higher than if he was a goalkeeper or defender. We've seen a few others over the years, like Slew, like De Girolamo, like Tonge, who all looked good prospects, but for different reasons failed to deliver and make the top level. But this lad looks better than all of them tbh. It's a long road and he could fade and become a flop yet, we appreciate that, but permit us a bit of excitement for now because we've not had a right lot to look forward to over the past few years.

Well-chuffing-said.

We've produced and nurtured a number of high calibre youngsters in relatively recent history. Jags, Tonge, Walker, Naughton, Maguire, DCL, Ramsdale...the difference being that whilst many of them had promise and others were solid and become good pros, few played in the manner of Brooks and that's what's exciting. I haven't seen such energy and fearlessness since Naughton first broke through.

Matt Lowton is better off. And it's daft to say Naughton

100% I'm not saying they aren't better off. But, I think they could've been even more so had they 'could' have been even better now if they had spent another year with the blades - Naughton in particular as it took him a good few years from leaving to get games as a premier league player.

It's probably no coincidence that Walker is where he is now because he was allowed straight back on loan to a top 3 championship side. Naughton didn't get that

The concern is that the club will see a few million and what we can do with it in the short term, and take their eye off the ball long term.
Temptation will be there, and I'm hoping the lad will ignore the mega money for now just to ensure he gets games. He will expecting game time, he has probably earned a chance from his summer achievements. So as long as Wilder can keep him excited about the club, and find a way to reward him fairly financially we have a chance.

Perhaps we should set him a target. New contract with a salary made up to offer him the monetary reward on appearances, and goes up a lot yearly.
Example.
5yr contract.
Year one- 1k a week basic. 5k appearance fee. Once he makes 20 starts, basic up to £2k a week.
Year 2- if not already on 2k a week, make that basic. If he made the 20 starts make the basic 3k. Appearance fee remains. If he makes 50 starts during second year he gets an automatic pay rise in line with the rest of the squad.
Year 3- still here? Still starting? Reward his loyalty...hopefully we will be at least a strong champ side. By now he could be a seriously major player. The figure therefore cannot be quantified, but if he's now a main player and how I suspect he will be, we could be talking 15k a week minimum.
I realise that is a lot of money, but at this stage we would still have 3 years left on his contract, so would have a good control of his future fee to leave. I also realise a premier league side could chuck £15k a week at him from the off.
But while Wilder is here we stand a chance of keeping him for a year or two

After three years he gets £15K/week?

or

Signs for a Prem Club and starts on £12K/week, in three years gets £45K/week.

We need to take money off the players future contracts as well as transfer fees.

50% to SUFC for making them a pro footballer.

A few quick points.

As you've never seen TC play I'll let you off with the "fucking brilliant was Fleck"

I didn't go sunday, but did I hear right that we sung "Brooks will tear you apart again"?
Ok it's nicked from the Giggs chant, but that's some pretty good company.

Continue to enjoy I do

So Thorpy by definition are you saying increase his wage from £2K to £20K making him the highest paid player.
He's not ever played a game in the men's league yet and you're suggesting he's worth around £10 million.
Amazing!!

Agents negotiate salaries based on the players worth (transfer fee wise) to the club, so if you're confident we could get £10 million for him in 2 or 3 years then the agent can easily justify that he's worth £20K a week salary (which is £4 million over 4 years).

He's hugely talented and has great potential but he's currently no where near good enough to get a starting place. There's a massive difference between the Toulon under 19 tournemnrnt and the real deal of men's standard league football.
brookes brilliant performance and mom in the steel city derby says you know very little about football if all managers echoed your thoughts we would never see the likes of george best david brooks play and flourish

Hahahaha.

Agree, looks a stupid comment now but I’m so happy to be proven wrong.

I’ve always rated our midfield and our defence also looked surprisingly solid this season.
However I had serious doubts about our attack
Must admit the combo of Leon and Brooks looked real quality, especially playing away from home playing counter attack.

Back
Top Bottom