Brooks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A good first team wage. We're a Championship club now. We have no excuses. He has the potential to be our best player.

We'll only have to pay him more the second he proves himself in the Championship. Which he will if he gets on the pitch.

Even if he didn't prove himself, he's still young, he's still got a tonne of potential and PL clubs would still pay good money for him - more than what we'd get from a tribunal.

The only risk of paying him a decent wage would be him getting a serious injury, and that can be said for any player, and can't be factored into your thinking in these situations.

I agree that we should try and keep him. I'm just not convinced how easy it will be without taking big risks.

You say the only risk is that he gets injured. I know you're 100% convinced that he'll make it but he's never played in the Championship so there's some risk there however much we all rate him. Wolves have spent £18m on a player and I wouldn't say he's guaranteed to be a success in the Championship so Brooks certainly isn't nailed on.

The more important factor is that a Premier League club will be able to pay more than whatever we offer him. Let's say we give him a contract on £7,000 a week (which I would've thought will be more than other squad members with more experience) and Everton offer him £11,000. What happens then? Do we go to £12,000?

I think we've got one card that we can play and that's giving him game time. That should only happen (and will only happen) though if Wilder thinks including him gives us our best chance of 3 points.

£5,000 a week and Wilder's word that he'll be in or around the first team if he meets the necessary standards. That probably gives us a chance of keeping him in the short-term.

What we don't know of course is just how much Wilder rates him. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a massive fan of DCL and saw the fee as more than acceptable and I think Ramsdale was seen as expendable given he was unlikely to be first choice in the next couple of years.

I agree that we should try and keep him. I'm just not convinced how easy it will be without taking big risks.

You say the only risk is that he gets injured. I know you're 100% convinced that he'll make it but he's never played in the Championship so there's some risk there however much we all rate him. Wolves have spent £18m on a player and I wouldn't say he's guaranteed to be a success in the Championship so Brooks certainly isn't nailed on.

The more important factor is that a Premier League club will be able to pay more than whatever we offer him. Let's say we give him a contract on £7,000 a week (which I would've thought will be more than other squad members with more experience) and Everton offer him £11,000. What happens then? Do we go to £12,000?

I think we've got one card that we can play and that's giving him game time. That should only happen (and will only happen) though if Wilder thinks including him gives us our best chance of 3 points.

£5,000 a week and Wilder's word that he'll be in or around the first team if he meets the necessary standards. That probably gives us a chance of keeping him in the short-term.

What we don't know of course is just how much Wilder rates him. I'm pretty sure he wasn't a massive fan of DCL and saw the fee as more than acceptable and I think Ramsdale was seen as expendable given he was unlikely to be first choice in the next couple of years.
No, you don't try and beat them. You get in there first and offer him a first team wage, let's be honest it's worth the risk. Show him he's wanted and any thoughts he has about leaving will be gone for the short term. He seems a grounded lad with his head screwed on, he'll have learned from being binned at City that the grass isn't always greener.

Give him a first team wage on a long term contract to warn off any suitors for this window at least, then if he proves himself in the championship from now till January at least we'll get a serious bidding war.

The only risk of paying him a decent wage would be him getting a serious injury, and that can be said for any player, and can't be factored into your thinking in these situations.

You then mitigate that risk by insuring him. It's normal practice.

Hmmmm.

Plenty were saying the same about Diego and how we must tie him down. That 'potential' worked out well for us....

It's amazing how easy it is to spend someone else's money. £20k per week on an 18 year, say a four year deal, with NI and pension is about £5m. Then people ask 'where has all the money gone'.

Well if we had Diego well under contract and he didn't get crippled we would've got good money for him.

I didn't suggest 20k p/w, but if it was my money I'd be spending it on him because I know there's an excellent chance it will make me significantly more money in the long run.

Hmmmm.

Plenty were saying the same about Diego and how we must tie him down. That 'potential' worked out well for us....

It's amazing how easy it is to spend someone else's money. £20k per week on an 18 year, say a four year deal, with NI and pension is about £5m. Then people ask 'where has all the money gone'.
Which ,as per you and your other Accounting chums' standard modus operandi, is simply denouncing claims no one has actually made.

To save you the bother, nobody has yet claimed Kev will be pocketing all the fee if/as/when sold , nor will he trouser all the sell-ons ....

....or will he ??? :)

CW just needs to put his arm around the lads shoulder and have a quiet word - Work your socks off and we'll reward you - The Club should echo that with the deal offered - £5K a week to be a 1st team squad member, rising incrementally relative to appearances. If CW is a man of his word (he obviously is), then Brooks will get a look in because performing well = game time and so he'll be rewarded, when he earns it.

2Peneth

Which ,as per you and your other Accounting chums' standard modus operandi, is simply denouncing claims no one has actually made.

To save you the bother, nobody has yet claimed Kev will be pocketing all the fee if/as/when sold , nor will he trouser all the sell-ons ....

Are you an accountant I should coco ? I thought there was something not quite right about you. All those numbers do strange things to the brain; confuse people, make them think Shepherd's Bush is in Indonesia, use terms like amortisation and expect lay people to understand them and stuff like that.

Well if we had Diego well under contract and he didn't get crippled we would've got good money for him.

I didn't suggest 20k p/w, but if it was my money I'd be spending it on him because I know there's an excellent chance it will make me significantly more money in the long run.

Didn't we have him under contract before the injury? Either we turned bids down for the boy wonder or no one save Juve of course, came in for him.

Ive seen plenty of "the next big thing" at BL over the years, most of whom disappeared into relative obscurity.

He he. Denouncing claims no one has made?

ISC said people would be asking where the money has gone, not that they'd be saying McCabe would have trousered it.

AC.

Are you an accountant I should coco ? I thought there was something not quite right about you. All those numbers do strange things to the brain; confuse people, make them think Shepherd's Bush is in Indonesia, use terms like amortisation and expect lay people to understand them and stuff like that.

Harrumph. We don't just let anyone in you know.

Harrumph. We don't just let anyone in you know.
It's the only profession I can think of that has a designation 'certified'. And having worked in a building with around 600 accountants in it, they were certainly certifiable.

It's the only profession I can think of that has a designation 'certified'. And having worked in a building with around 600 accountants in it, they were certainly certifiable.

Well after a spell in hospital I took the sign above the bed with my name on it and the word "normal".

It was written by a doctor so that's good enough for me.

Clickbait shit that doesn't work properly on my phone. Something about Red Bull Leipzig. They signed Oliver Burke last season from Forest for £13m.

Well remembered BB. Leipzig are loaded, pure and simple.

Should the inevitable happen, and who knows when that might be, and Brooks does move elsewhere, by the time it happens, and Brooks has starred consistently, then it's not unrealistic to imagine we'll be talking a transfer fee in double figures, with, possibly, the chance of loaning any of their outstanding players for a season. Time will tell.

Personally, while it's clear that Brooks is undoubtedly talented and has something a bit different about him, I want to see how he'l perform consistently against Championship defenders who won't stand ceremoniously watching him while he performs his tricks. If, in those circumstances, Brooks shines, then we'll finally have discovered a player whose value should reflect what many posters on here keep saying. Forget his value now, in football things can change very quickly, so what may currently be a £5 mil player could quickly rise to £15 mil or upwards, with add-ons of course, and a sell-on clause of at least 15%(?).

Are you an accountant I should coco ? I thought there was something not quite right about you.

Actually I am a qualified accountant although I do something quite different now.

What are the 'claims' that no-one has made? If you mean spending several million pounds of somebody else's money might not work out for us in the end, then I'm guilty as charged.

If we'd followed the 'sign em up now' logic of plenty on here we'd have paid a £1m for EEL and he'd be on big wages, as would Diego. As I said, spending other people's money at the touch of a keyboard is very easy.

Actually I am a qualified accountant although I do something quite different now.

What are the 'claims' that no-one has made? If you mean spending several million pounds of somebody else's money might not work out for us in the end, then I'm guilty as charged.

If we'd followed the 'sign em up now' logic of plenty on here we'd have paid a £1m for EEL and he'd be on big wages, as would Diego. As I said, spending other people's money at the touch of a keyboard is very easy.
Bolton are looking for a new Director of Finance if you fancy it. Looking at their recent record it's difficult to describe it as a permanent post. I think the MO is to go in, spend three months going through the accounts, tell the owner he's in deep shit and then either leave or get sacked. It seems to be what happened with the last three anyway.

How much are we going to get for him then? 18 months left on his deal, the usual 2-3 mill?

We all know the outcome to this story. He wont be here by the end of the season.

Back
Top Bottom