Board left with no choice

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lets face it, the writing's been on the wall. And I really doubt Prince and co wanted it to come to this, because they know exactly what Wilder means to the fanbase.

But. Every press conference if it hasn't been blowing smoke up the opposition's arse has been thinly veiled digs at the board.
He's been struggling like never before so he's been punching out, I get that, but destroying your relationship with those above you probably isn't a good idea.
Dragging our crap through the media has been very unsavoury to see, and it's only been from one party.

He's been backed, to the volume NO manager of this club ever has been, or likely ever will be again in the near future. To the sound of £130m.
The transfers haven't been a particular success so the board are rumoured to want a DoF in, that's a good model to follow and all the elite (and the majority of the Prem) have in place. It's thinking to the future. Chris didn't like it. But if he can't work with a DoF he'll never get a job at a top club.

Thanks for everything Chris, and I'm sad it's had to happen like this. But I really think it's for the best for all concerned.
We I suspect will now get a DoF in place and create a new club structure which we will need to become a sustainable PL club (fucking hell, even Burnley have one).
I expect him to take a little break and get a job at a Championship club angling for promotion late next season. And that will be really sad to see him in the opposition dugout.

The club isn't ending, managers come and go, although this one hurts at the minute. And it hurts we didn't get to say goodbye or thank him for the previous 4 years.
My personal views on the situation and this season aside, he is the best I've ever seen and I literally have CWAK tattooed on my arse.
He leaves us in a far better state than when he took over, now it's over to the board to put their plans into play. And none of this 'it will set us back 10 years' bollocks, we are about to go down with parachute payments and the basics of a great championship squad. Few additions here and there, create a new structure at the club with a DoF and a European scouting network - and with a good manager at the helm we'll be up there. Don't you worry about that.

But again, thanks for everything Chris. Brought our club back from the dead and we will never forget it. Legend.

View attachment 107863
First time I’ve come on here since the news broke; I’ve only skim-read some posts, but this is spot on and about the closest to how I feel. It’s sad it’s ended like this, and it feels like a mistake. But equally, Wilder has made a lot of mistakes over the past six months (and not signed anyone truly effective since summer 2018), so you can’t say it hasn’t been brewing, especially given how things have unravelled in the past few weeks.

Wilder is the best manager we’ve ever had (certainly in my lifetime) and gave us the best five years most of us will have had following the Blades. Rubbish it ended like this... but it’s not going to change, so you just get on with it.

Regards to him not putting in a penny of his own money - He didn’t have to put in any of that PL money in either though. Norwich proved that last year.
Norwich’s wage bill in the promotion season was mortgaging the future, they’d already gone 75% towards paying PL wages when we were still paying L1 plus a bit.

Not saying any method is correct as we both got promoted and we managed to stay up and they didn’t. It’s just not true to say that they didn’t spend PL money.

Lets face it, the writing's been on the wall. And I really doubt Prince and co wanted it to come to this, because they know exactly what Wilder means to the fanbase.

But. Every press conference if it hasn't been blowing smoke up the opposition's arse has been thinly veiled digs at the board.
He's been struggling like never before so he's been punching out, I get that, but destroying your relationship with those above you probably isn't a good idea.
Dragging our crap through the media has been very unsavoury to see, and it's only been from one party.

He's been backed, to the volume NO manager of this club ever has been, or likely ever will be again in the near future. To the sound of £130m.
The transfers haven't been a particular success so the board are rumoured to want a DoF in, that's a good model to follow and all the elite (and the majority of the Prem) have in place. It's thinking to the future. Chris didn't like it. But if he can't work with a DoF he'll never get a job at a top club.

Thanks for everything Chris, and I'm sad it's had to happen like this. But I really think it's for the best for all concerned.
We I suspect will now get a DoF in place and create a new club structure which we will need to become a sustainable PL club (fucking hell, even Burnley have one).
I expect him to take a little break and get a job at a Championship club angling for promotion late next season. And that will be really sad to see him in the opposition dugout.

The club isn't ending, managers come and go, although this one hurts at the minute. And it hurts we didn't get to say goodbye or thank him for the previous 4 years.
My personal views on the situation and this season aside, he is the best I've ever seen and I literally have CWAK tattooed on my arse.
He leaves us in a far better state than when he took over, now it's over to the board to put their plans into play. And none of this 'it will set us back 10 years' bollocks, we are about to go down with parachute payments and the basics of a great championship squad. Few additions here and there, create a new structure at the club with a DoF and a European scouting network - and with a good manager at the helm we'll be up there. Don't you worry about that.

But again, thanks for everything Chris. Brought our club back from the dead and we will never forget it. Legend.

View attachment 107863
Finally someone with their head screwed on.

I was the same on Friday and got accused of ‘loving it’ and ‘revelling in it’... there’s no room for middle ground on this board mate. You’re either the goodies or the baddies 🤣
Ha. I always get accused of fence-sitting. So much so I wrote a thread about it last summer...

What investment? Genuinely, how much is he personally down from owning us?
I genuinely don’t understand all the comments on here about how the Prince has not invested his personal cash. Of course he hasn’t, it’s a business and so, he’ll raise finance for investment like any other businessman does. Does anyone seriously think an owner raids their personal accounts to the tune of millions every season? The only issue is whether, in the pursuit of PL status, he leverages our assets to the point of bankruptcy. The fact that he’s saying no more money is available at this time is, in my view, rather more comforting than him sanctioning the spunking another £100m in hope that we might stage a miraculous recovery this season.

I genuinely don’t understand all the comments on here about how the Prince has not invested his personal cash. Of course he hasn’t, it’s a business and so, he’ll raise finance for investment like any other businessman does. Does anyone seriously think an owner raids their personal accounts to the tune of millions every season? The only issue is whether, in the pursuit of PL status, he leverages our assets to the point of bankruptcy. The fact that he’s saying no more money is available at this time is, in my view, rather more comforting than him sanctioning the spunking another £100m in hope that we might stage a miraculous recovery this season.
And me.

Same goes for him not deciding to chuck 75k at Watkins, 60k at Cash and Robinson. They weren’t deals that this club should be making, as they are financially a huge risk without any guarantees. That’s the exact type of thing I want my owner to be doing.

The problem is that the Prince doesn't yet realize the quality of manager he's just allowed to walk away. We just don't get managers of that quality in this city. What this is really about is his wanting to foist United World players on Wilder.

I can see where CW was coming from with the training ground and infrastructure at the club. There was talk of the Norton Aerodrome being scouted as a new base, maybe that's still in the pipeline, we as a fanbase aren't privvy to that info.

I can also see where the board are coming from on Transfers and spending. Wilder had his best mate and ex Worksop Town manager doing all his scouting, looking in the UK market for players. This pond has always been expensive when you get into the Prem compared to foreign markets.

You can't tell me that a 20 year old player from the Ivory Coast, who is built the same as Brewster and has the same natural football talent would cost a club £24m.

That's why the Premier League is full of foreign talent, because they are cheaper than the UK equivalent both in fees and wages.

Leeds have Orta as technical director, he has contacts and an eye in the French and Spanish leagues. They signed the lad Raphinha for £20 and £40k a week, he will go on to be sold for £40/50m. If he was English, Leeds wouldn't have been able to get near him to start with.

What's so wrong with having a board of people at the club who's sole aim is to uncover talent from abroad and save the club millions in fees and wages?

If CW wants to work at the top of English football going forward he is going to have to change his ways.

View attachment 107863
Just a few observations regards your post

The parachute will be almost irrelevant as far as any new manager is concerned. The club owes millions in instalments on players such as Berge, Brewster and Ramsdale.

The owner has taken out a massive mortgage against the club to pay for the assets he bought from McCabe. That won’t be paid from his own pocket

Regardless of the departed manager or any new manager, a European scouting network should already have been established. How long has Van Winkel been here?

I see both Berge and Egan sold. Obviously we will have a championship wage bill next season which helps, as all salaries are linked to which division we play in, but what concerns me here is that he hasn’t carried out the upgrade of the training ground, which might suggest financial concerns, this highlighted by Wilder. On the other hand, the owner is still swanning around buying up two bit football clubs. Who next?

My own opinion which is worth fk all, is that we are at the beginning of a slippery slope. Perhaps the manager appointment will give a big clue as to the owners ambition

Just a few observations regards your post

The parachute will be almost irrelevant as far as any new manager is concerned. The club owes millions in instalments on players such as Berge, Brewster and Ramsdale.

The owner has taken out a massive mortgage against the club to pay for the assets he bought from McCabe. That won’t be paid from his own pocket

Regardless of the departed manager or any new manager, a European scouting network should already have been established. How long has Van Winkel been here?

I see both Berge and Egan sold. Obviously we will have a championship wage bill next season which helps, as all salaries are linked to which division we play in, but what concerns me here is that he hasn’t carried out the upgrade of the training ground, which might suggest financial concerns, this highlighted by Wilder. On the other hand, the owner is still swanning around buying up two bit football clubs. Who next?

My own opinion which is worth fk all, is that we are at the beginning of a slippery slope. Perhaps the manager appointment will give a big clue as to the owners ambition
not been on here for a while but is this chabuddy g a pig

What is a good manager choice
Weir came with all the right badges and glowing reports from Everton
Many thought Adkins was the right choice
Many thought Wilder was the cheap option . A lower division manager with no
real c.v wasn't a universal well received choice
Some of the best come out of nowhere and just fit.

I can see where CW was coming from with the training ground and infrastructure at the club. There was talk of the Norton Aerodrome being scouted as a new base, maybe that's still in the pipeline, we as a fanbase aren't privvy to that info.

I can also see where the board are coming from on Transfers and spending. Wilder had his best mate and ex Worksop Town manager doing all his scouting, looking in the UK market for players. This pond has always been expensive when you get into the Prem compared to foreign markets.

You can't tell me that a 20 year old player from the Ivory Coast, who is built the same as Brewster and has the same natural football talent would cost a club £24m.

That's why the Premier League is full of foreign talent, because they are cheaper than the UK equivalent both in fees and wages.

Leeds have Orta as technical director, he has contacts and an eye in the French and Spanish leagues. They signed the lad Raphinha for £20 and £40k a week, he will go on to be sold for £40/50m. If he was English, Leeds wouldn't have been able to get near him to start with.

What's so wrong with having a board of people at the club who's sole aim is to uncover talent from abroad and save the club millions in fees and wages?

If CW wants to work at the top of English football going forward he is going to have to change his ways.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a system that allows your £ to go a little further and one I believe Wilder would have eventually accepted if other promises had not been persistently broken.

Wilder likely had an over inflated view of his own value in the summer of ‘20. Understandable given the success of the previous seasons but was also savvy enough to understand that miracles rarely repeat themselves and serious investment was needed. Wilder saw an opportunity to consolidate this team in the PL and went big...too big for the ownership. Wilders ambitions were not met and a championship recruitment policy ensued. Having achieved 3 promotions in 4 years (I say 3 because to break in to the top half of the PL is akin to a promotion) this would almost certainly have hit him hard as he, more so than anyone, recognised the impact this would have on results. Injuries, no fans just compounded the problem. It’s a very natural (human flawed) reaction. ‘You didn’t support/trust me so I won’t compromise/listen to you’ and then you fast forward to the back me or sack me ultimatum.

I’m not blaming the Prince for not having deep enough pockets but equally we shouldn’t be so quick to criticise Wilder for showing genuine ambition which, as fans, we have often longed for.

Some of the best come out of nowhere and just fit.
Yep and to let them go is insane- For me the Prince has been badly advised. He should have told Chris behind closed doors to pack it in, and resolved issues. It's not rocket Science- Love them or hate them - Shearer/ Sutton/ Jenas/ Keown/ Lineker everybody and anybody in the football world thinks this makes no sense- so why would the Prince think its right, it's not and he's dropped a clanger.

The next manager will not be a Gem like Chris - and we will falter, plod.

Realistically the best we can hope for next season is to avoid relegation.

Yep and to let them go is insane- For me the Prince has been badly advised. He should have told Chris behind closed doors to pack it in, and resolved issues. It's not rocket Science- Love them or hate them - Shearer/ Sutton/ Jenas/ Keown/ Lineker everybody and anybody in the football world thinks this makes no sense- so why would the Prince think its right, it's not and he's dropped a clanger.

The next manager will not be a Gem like Chris - and we will falter, plod.

Realistically the best we can hope for next season is to avoid relegation.
bullshit , he left by mutual consent
he could have clung on get sacked and pocketed several millions
if we get someone like eddie howe we can get back up playing football and passing forwards
we need to stop being on attack and passing the ball to Ramsdale

Wilder tried changing the system but couldnt get it right is nearer the truth

First time I’ve come on here since the news broke; I’ve only skim-read some posts, but this is spot on and about the closest to how I feel. It’s sad it’s ended like this, and it feels like a mistake. But equally, Wilder has made a lot of mistakes over the past six months (and not signed anyone truly effective since summer 2018), so you can’t say it hasn’t been brewing, especially given how things have unravelled in the past few weeks.

Wilder is the best manager we’ve ever had (certainly in my lifetime) and gave us the best five years most of us will have had following the Blades. Rubbish it ended like this... but it’s not going to change, so you just get on with it.
Exactly how I feel too.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a system that allows your £ to go a little further and one I believe Wilder would have eventually accepted if other promises had not been persistently broken.

Wilder likely had an over inflated view of his own value in the summer of ‘20. Understandable given the success of the previous seasons but was also savvy enough to understand that miracles rarely repeat themselves and serious investment was needed. Wilder saw an opportunity to consolidate this team in the PL and went big...too big for the ownership. Wilders ambitions were not met and a championship recruitment policy ensued. Having achieved 3 promotions in 4 years (I say 3 because to break in to the top half of the PL is akin to a promotion) this would almost certainly have hit him hard as he, more so than anyone, recognised the impact this would have on results. Injuries, no fans just compounded the problem. It’s a very natural (human flawed) reaction. ‘You didn’t support/trust me so I won’t compromise/listen to you’ and then you fast forward to the back me or sack me ultimatum.

I’m not blaming the Prince for not having deep enough pockets but equally we shouldn’t be so quick to criticise Wilder for showing genuine ambition which, as fans, we have often longed for.
Wilder wouldn't have accepted it which is why he wanted to leave 3 times this season. They're may have been broken promises but rightly so, why would he invest given the position we have been?

Wilder wouldn't have accepted it which is why he wanted to leave 3 times this season. They're may have been broken promises but rightly so, why would he invest given the position we have been?
I am talking about the Summer ‘20 TW not the January one as it was all over by then.

When it was announced, firstly I thought he walked. After reading what his mate Darren Moore has said, I'm certain he walked. But some will refuse to believe it for some weird reason.
It's OK saying that- but he didn't walk because he thought it was a nice day to go and join Celtic. He's been frustrated to the point anxiety- his demeanour in latter interviews- he's looked a shell of his former self. Given that Chris is a treasure- the Prince and his team should have worked tirelessly to help him and make sure this never happened.

They said it themselves - if they had to choose a manager to get them up next year - they'd choose Chris. So in that sentence the result they have arrived at is a fail.

It's OK saying that- but he didn't walk because he thought it was a nice day to go and join Celtic. He's been frustrated to the point anxiety- his demeanour in latter interviews- he's looked a shell of his former self. Given that Chris is a treasure- the Prince and his team should have worked tirelessly to help him and make sure this never happened.

They said it themselves - if they had to choose a manager to get them up next year - they'd choose Chris. So in that sentence the result they have arrived at is a fail.
So they should have let the tail wag the dog then?

Heckingbottom gets it from his coaching experience in 2018.
"As a manager, you’re the one who has to front everyone up," he added.
"Whether it’s your decision or not, you have to make out like it’s the right one – especially when it affects players and dressing rooms because they’ve got to believe in you. They’ve got to follow you.

"But then you start to feel like it’s happening all over again and you’re not being listened to. You wonder: ‘What’s the point?’

"Things I was told, the reasons I’d stayed – it’s a principle thing. Signings were being made without me even knowing.

"I couldn’t have that. Otherwise, you just become a puppet."

This was the first season the Prince had a issue he had to deal with on his own. And he's failed. Terribly.

The next step he can't get wrong or we really are in trouble.
What do you expect our owner to do when he's getting slagged off through the media off wilder come on, like wilder said this is the best transfer market we ever had so what was his problem? The problem lies unfortunately with wilders signings and the players,when your transfers don't turn out right blame the board.This was never going long term with Chris let's be right.

What do you expect our owner to do when he's getting slagged off through the media off wilder come on, like wilder said this is the best transfer market we ever had so what was his problem? The problem lies unfortunately with wilders signings and the players,when your transfers don't turn out right blame the board.This was never going long term with Chris let's be right.
And if u check what he got up to at Oxford and Northampton, u can see the "blame the owner" approach trending right the way through. Threatening to resign on a number of occasions to try and get his own way. He left Oxford cos the owner and Chris agreed, he left us cos the owner and Chris agreed. And our fans seriously think that he will get an instant PL job in summer. Too many limitations to his managerial approach in order for him to be a PL manager right now. He needs to change his ways if he wants to manage at the highest level again.

Lowest wage bill in the league blows this argument out the water...

Lowest wage bill in the league blows this argument out the water...
Having the best player in sander berge and been able to pay his wages blows your argument out the water that we don't pay good, how many times do we have to keep going on about wages when we can attract one of the top talents from Europe with our so called shit wages

That’s not true, Rafinha is on £60,000+ a week. Leeds are paying wages which far exceed ours.

Having the best player in sander berge and been able to pay his wages blows your argument out the water that we don't pay good, how many times do we have to keep going on about wages when we can attract one of the top talents from Europe with our so called shit wages
We were always a stop gap for him. Agent earns more if he plays well for us and goes to a bigger side. Undoubtedly paying bigger wages than a club in Belgium but still we couldn't compete for most our targets

Back
Top Bottom