Board left with no choice

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Takes two to tango at the end of the day. Wilder's emotional connection probably did him no favours towards the end.

It's been an unprecedented journey and it would have been nice for Chris to have bowed out while he was ahead and gone on to a bigger club, England even. If we were still in with a fighting chance, I doubt this would have happened now and if we were replicating last season, this wouldn't have been on the agenda at all.

From the boards perspective, they'll believe ÂŁ100m of their money was squandered so need someone else to be in charge of what happens with it. From Wilders side it'll be that he knew what was needed to improve and they didn't deliver it for him so we get the digs and defeatist nature of how Wilder conducted himself and was reflected by the team ultimately, leaving us where we are now.

If he was going to go, he should have either been pushed months ago or had a parting of ways at the end of the season.

It's been a fantastic ride and I can't think of anything bad to say about Chris during his tenure (if indeed it's at an end). All I'd say is this season has been different, covid sure, second season issues acknowledged but something in Chris. Less open, less heart on sleeve. He hasn't accepted any culpability and as many have noted, seems to have reverted to a warnockesque big boys, big league, little sheff utd making up the numbers.

That's not the same man, the manager on a journey full of belief in himself, players and tactics.

We've played shit, at times been truly turgid this season and as a fan Chris would I'm sure recognise that but in his dual role as fan/manager he seems blinded to this. The one aspect I've admired the most is his acknowledging errors and learning from mistakes but this season seems one long groundhog Day of intransigence.

Whatever happens best of luck to him, glorious years and wonderful football, I'll happily erase this season from the memories.

The board had a choice you always have a choice. They now need to prove they’ve made the right one and sharpish.
But there's the rub

Even now no one from the club or CW said he's gone

The only people confirming he's left are journalists

Sky reporters stood outside the training ground and only the security guards are there. Dont think they have much say in it

But there's the rub

Even now no one from the club or CW said he's gone

The only people confirming he's left are journalists
Don’t think he’s left yet personally. If he had there’s nothing stopping the club putting out a statement. Seems like there been a monumental bust up and then some reconciliatory talks which haven’t yet produced an outcome one way or the other. Media have reported he’s gone earlier in the day as that’s what normally happens in this situation and won’t climb down from that position unless they have too and he comes out saying he’s staying because it would be embarrassing. Palace had to force sky to take down the Brewster story in the summer.

Keep getting the doubters saying he's blown 130 m on players .well those we bought last season got us to 9th

The only players in this season adds up to nearer 60m
Only7 players in 2 on frees
20210312_201215.jpg

You can operate perfectly reasonably between 2 truths:
1. Chris Wilder is legend, gave us some of the best years as a blade and will rightly be celebrated forever within our club.
2. This year has been an almost unprecedented shitshow, the last 6 months has really stepped on his flaws both tactically and publicly, and its possibly the right time to go.

You can operate perfectly reasonably between 2 truths:
1. Chris Wilder is legend, gave us some of the best years as a blade and will rightly be celebrated forever within our club.
2. This year has been an almost unprecedented shitshow, the last 6 months has really stepped on his flaws both tactically and publicly, and its possibly the right time to go.
Try telling people that. Christ.

The Board have done a right clanger. Although on this board 15% wanted him gone- nearer the truth is 99.9% of true Blades wanted him to stay-

Any suggestion of 'Wilder Out' with 30,000 there , highly likely they would have been battered.

The decision stinks- folk who have been round the block know that this is a truly awful conclusion.

The 4 years he has given are the best we have had for 50 years- it is truly beyond belief.
If u disregard the 4 years we had under Bassett when we won back to back promotions, stayed up, finished in top 10 and got to our first cup semi in o
The Board have done a right clanger. Although on this board 15% wanted him gone- nearer the truth is 99.9% of true Blades wanted him to stay-

Any suggestion of 'Wilder Out' with 30,000 there , highly likely they would have been battered.

The decision stinks- folk who have been round the block know that this is a truly awful conclusion.

The 4 years he has given are the best we have had for 50 years- it is truly beyond belief.

I would agree if you disregard the 4 seasons we had under Bassett where we got back to promotions from 3rd division to 1st , stayed up, finished 9th in the top league and got to our first cup semi in 57 years, but then again Bassett wasn't a born blade was he so you can't really compare that to 2 promotions in 3 seasons and the worst start to a top flight campaign in the history of football, and the longest run without a win from the start of a season in the premier League, and the longest run without a clean sheet in the premier League , joint lowest scorers in Europe, chance of breaking the record for most defeats ever in the premier League too but he's a blade so let's remember we won league one 5 seasons ago and let's keep him forever ,

It's been an embarrassing disaster this season and he's to blame, should have been sacked months ago when we had a chance of staying up

Chris Wilder has wasted upwards of £130m on players who haven’t improved us from the side that got promoted. Granted he did a fantastic job previously but how long does he get a free pass?

Exactly, he got a free pass when he survived the 0 wins in like 50 games. Then he couldn't keep his mouth shut and it ended up costing him his job.

I would have liked him to stay but I see why the Prince felt forced to do this.

I feel that his stubbornness has/will be his undoing. A typical Yorkshire bloke trait in many ways. If he does go, I thank him from the bottom of my heart. Not just his time as Manager but as a player too, he was a very good player, classy and that day in Leicester 1990 will stay with me the rest of my life as it will Chris. I don’t want him to leave but actually it may be for the best as I thought he had started to look ill. His health is the most important thing. Who knows what a new Manager will bring? Are fresh ideas a bad thing? I don’t know, I just hope whoever it may be, we at least give him a chance. We will see Chris down at the Lane again, I guarantee it but sat with us as a fan. Cheers Chris, Alan and all your back room staff. You know what we want as United fans and you gave it too us.

Some interesting debate, it clearly shows in this thread that the fans who agree with this ridiculous decision are in the side of an owner who hasn’t put in a penny of his own money. And the fans who disagree are fans who fully support a man who single handidly dragged the club off the bones of its arse into the premier league on a shoe string an Mosley made by selling players on.
It seems like there are little tit bits now coming out of the media good article here
So if what Nathan says is correct the Prince wouldn’t pay for a couple of additional pitches at the training ground. Like someone has said the Prince has been on talkSPORT and sky and spoke well said all the right things. However we have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. I think this is a culmination of things that have come to a head and you know what if our manager is leaving his beloved club because of how unhappy he is with the owner then that’s good enough for me to believe him.
I keep asking the question today, what has this owner put into a club out of his own pocket? I hope Chris Wilder comes out and tells all I really do. Maybe then we won’t have this sickening act of some fans backing a Saudi owner over one of our own.

Some interesting debate, it clearly shows in this thread that the fans who agree with this ridiculous decision are in the side of an owner who hasn’t put in a penny of his own money. And the fans who disagree are fans who fully support a man who single handidly dragged the club off the bones of its arse into the premier league on a shoe string an Mosley made by selling players on.
It seems like there are little tit bits now coming out of the media good article here
So if what Nathan says is correct the Prince wouldn’t pay for a couple of additional pitches at the training ground. Like someone has said the Prince has been on talkSPORT and sky and spoke well said all the right things. However we have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. I think this is a culmination of things that have come to a head and you know what if our manager is leaving his beloved club because of how unhappy he is with the owner then that’s good enough for me to believe him.
I keep asking the question today, what has this owner put into a club out of his own pocket? I hope Chris Wilder comes out and tells all I really do. Maybe then we won’t have this sickening act of some fans backing a Saudi owner over one of our own.
I’m personally not taking either side and haven’t all along. I’ve tried to pick the middle ground and see it from both sides. I’ve managed to take emotion out of it because I’ve geared myself up for this for months.

Regards to him not putting in a penny of his own money - He didn’t have to put in any of that PL money in either though. Norwich proved that last year.

Wilder’s not without fault but fuck me - he’s the best manager our generation has ever seen so cut him some slack. This club is now only heading in one direction and that’s chasing the decline of those from across the city.

Actually if the Celtic rumours are true, I believe the board didn’t have any choice.

Actually if the Celtic rumours are true, I believe the board didn’t have any choice.
There’d be no sniffing from Celtic if they’d not heard stuff from the board or those around it would they? Things can be leaked to suit all when needed

The real problem is the Prince doesn't have enough money to finance a premier league club. We've had to gamble buying players who we hoped would make the step up and it didn't work. The Prince and the board need to take a long hard look at themselves and either get more investment in or sell up.

Sad but true. It is a real problem for clubs like ours to attract players. Villa just avoided the drop last season where as we just missed out on a European place, so who does Watkins want to join ? . Unless, as you say, we get more investment in, if we bounce back up again next season, we are just going to be repeating this one.

and made 260mill
Of course there's no running costs to running a prem club . Players play for free and there's no need to make ground adjustments at great cost

260m would be correct if there were full crowds and the tv money had not been slashed.
All clubs have put the brakes on
The last JTW was an indication money's got tight.

But they had a decent manager. The teams with a DOF and a crap manager, are.....still fookin crap! 🤣
Right. Care to explain as to how a Sporting Director differs from a DOF?

”Stuart Webber (born 15 April 1984) is the Sporting Director of Norwich City. – Webber became Head of Football Operations at Huddersfield Town in June 2015, becoming instrumental in the recruitment of players that got Huddersfield promoted to the Premier League. In April 2017, he became Sporting Director at Norwich City and oversaw another promotion to the Premier League.”

Webber was instrumental in the transfers of both Emi Buendia and Teemu Pukki, the latter transfer being free.

Right. Care to explain as to how a Sporting Director difers from a DOF?

”Stuart Webber (born 15 April 1984) is the Sporting Director of Norwich City. – Webber became Head of Football Operations at Huddersfield Town in June 2015, becoming instrumental in the recruitment of players that got Huddersfield promoted to the Premier League. In April 2017, he became Sporting Director at Norwich City and oversaw another promotion to the Premier League.”

Webber was instrumental in the transfers of both Emi Buendia and Teemu Pukki, the latter transfer being free.

Essentially the same thing.

Half a dozen teams have a DOF / Sporting Director, some teams are good and some are garbage. If you have a bad manager and a good DOF, you are still crap. It’s a bit like having the most expensive tyres on your car, if you’re still driving a Mini Metro you ain’t going anywhere fast.

Sad but true. It is a real problem for clubs like ours to attract players. Villa just avoided the drop last season where as we just missed out on a European place, so who does Watkins want to join ? . Unless, as you say, we get more investment in, if we bounce back up again next season, we are just going to be repeating this one.
It’s not just about that, the wages he’s reportedly on are ridiculous. Circa 70k a week for a lad in the Championship.

They've got decent managers.
And you’re assuming we won’t appoint a decent manager based on... nowt?

And don’t try telling me the post 2020 Chris Wilder is the best man for the job either. You, just like everyone else (including me) were hoping that if we went down he’d wake up one day and rediscover himself. It was hope rather than expectation.

Back
Top Bottom