Bettis radio sheff tomorrow

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To me this just all seems such a strange situation we find our club currently in.

On the one hand it appears we’re skint. Even though we may have cleared debt due to promotion and PL revenues, but didnt I read that the club have taken out a further charge recently, which I guess is guaranteed against future income? (parachute payment)

On the other hand. We’re laying out monies on the hotel, buying the HSBC land and looking to negotiate the Scarborough holdings land

The above doesn’t really make sense, unless of course a takeover, or at least investment is definitely forthcoming?

Bettis reckons we’ll know one way or the other by early summer. I’m hoping it’s more like a done deal but he just can’t say anything
I think investing in the hotel, new training ground and land around the ground add tangible value to the club as a whole. It's separate and different to spending 10s of millions on players which is always a gamble.

He also said he was in contact with Ndiaye's agent every 3 months to discuss a new contract and he didn't want to know, preferring to run the contract down and see what the situation was in the summer. We matched the wages offered by Marseille, and he choose to go there. Not a lot to be done by the sound of it.

In the defence of some of the big money spends. Mousset at least got us the goals that helped us stay up in our first season back in the PL and that high finish alone paid for his transfer fee. The fact he became a pudding afterwards is less relevant.

Berge helped us get relegated but redeemed himself in helping us getting promoted.

McBurnie same as above despite never being fully fit, he did still bag a decent amount goals last year.

Brewster I agree has been a total waste of money overall to the point that I'd be asking questions of Liverpool regarding his fitness and transfer.
Robinson - Burke, takes some explanation. Whatever recruitment process Burke got through needs a total overhaul.

To me this just all seems such a strange situation we find our club currently in.

On the one hand it appears we’re skint. Even though we may have cleared debt due to promotion and PL revenues, but didnt I read that the club have taken out a further charge recently, which I guess is guaranteed against future income? (parachute payment)

On the other hand. We’re laying out monies on the hotel, buying the HSBC land and looking to negotiate the Scarborough holdings land

The above doesn’t really make sense, unless of course a takeover, or at least investment is definitely forthcoming?

Bettis reckons we’ll know one way or the other by early summer. I’m hoping it’s more like a done deal but he just can’t say anything
The club is much more financially stable because of the premier league money. Seems like they took a bit of a gamble to try and bounce back and it paid, off albeit in 2 seasons not 1.

They've been trying to sort off field things for ages. Training ground site has been long discussed and there's been COVID/other delays to other things. Makes sense to use improved finances to invest in long term infrastructure for both the health of the club and the strength of the asset. I'm just glad to see things finally moving in a positive direction.

Agree it's unusual the situation we've found ourselves in with the lack of transfers and expiring contracts but it remains to be seen what next season looks like. There's always a balance to be struck between tying down your best/promising players for the long term and not being stuck with underperforming/poor players on expensive/long term contracts that are hard to shift.

The club has generally seemed good at standing their ground and being sensible when it comes to things like extra year options, relegation clauses, bonuses etc. It's not been flawless but it's not easy trying to manage contract situations for a club that's floating between the premier league and championship especially when the gap is so big and premier league contracts/transfer fees etc are so inflated compared to the rest of European football

In the defence of some of the big money spends. Mousset at least got us the goals that helped us stay up in our first season back in the PL and that high finish alone paid for his transfer fee. The fact he became a pudding afterwards is less relevant.

Berge helped us get relegated but redeemed himself in helping us getting promoted.

McBurnie same as above despite never being fully fit, he did still bag a decent amount goals last year.

Brewster I agree has been a total waste of money overall to the point that I'd be asking questions of Liverpool regarding his fitness and transfer.

Mcburnie helped us get promoted in the same way Madine and Hogan did but at 20x the cost.

Robinson - Burke, takes some explanation. Whatever recruitment process Burke got through needs a total overhaul.

True, although C Robinson wasn't a major outlay in terms of transfer fee. It wasn't working and we gambled by swapping him for Burke. Both awful signings overall but we didn't pay over £15mil for either of them.

Luke Freeman another relatively cheap gamble that didn't work out for us. Quite drastic to see how much his career has tanked! Now playing for Barnet at the age of 31 in the Nation League after being let go by Luton.

The club is much more financially stable because of the premier league money. Seems like they took a bit of a gamble to try and bounce back and it paid, off albeit in 2 seasons not 1.

They've been trying to sort off field things for ages. Training ground site has been long discussed and there's been COVID/other delays to other things. Makes sense to use improved finances to invest in long term infrastructure for both the health of the club and the strength of the asset. I'm just glad to see things finally moving in a positive direction.

Agree it's unusual the situation we've found ourselves in with the lack of transfers and expiring contracts but it remains to be seen what next season looks like. There's always a balance to be struck between tying down your best/promising players for the long term and not being stuck with underperforming/poor players on expensive/long term contracts that are hard to shift.

The club has generally seemed good at standing their ground and being sensible when it comes to things like extra year options, relegation clauses, bonuses etc. It's not been flawless but it's not easy trying to manage contract situations for a club that's floating between the premier league and championship especially when the gap is so big and premier league contracts/transfer fees etc are so inflated compared to the rest of European football
Didn’t he intimate that we’ve got more options on contracts than people realise?

Whilst I admit I don't fully understand the role of a "Director of Football", I'm still suspicious of what our recruitment strategy is going forward.

Since Wilder's arrival in 2016 we have made some terrific signings, particularly the cheap ones (JOC, Didsy, Fleck, Baldock, Duffy), some not as great but not super expensive (Anel, Egans, Norwood) but then the worrying BIG money spends (Brewster, McB, Mousset, Berge) of which we have nothing to show for.

Got to do something different.

I think that's harsh on Norwood and Egan who for a combined £6m improved us immensely, got us to the Premier League and played a massive part in keeping us there. I'd say they were great signings.

You've also missed Ramsdale, Archer, Hamer and Souza from the big money spends, two of which will make a profit and the other two are still here for next season. We definitely have something to show for them.

I'm not defending our recruitment by the way, I think it's generally been poor.

Mcburnie helped us get promoted in the same way Madine and Hogan did but at 20x the cost.

McBurnie got 15 goals last season. That’s 10 more than Madine and Hogan got out together. I’m honestly astounded that you’ve tried to compare McBurnie’s contribution with that of those two.

McBurnie was also our leading scorer the season we finished 9th in the Prem.

Fitness has been the main issue with McBurnie IMO. He had a couple bad years but since last season he's largely been very good when fit.

Similar story with Berge, spent a while struggling to get fit and then was great in the championship.

Brewster obviously the extreme example where he's just barely played.

I don't know if that's a problem on our end where we've missed something in our scouting or if it's to do with training methods but it seriously needs looking at. Can't keep having our best players/biggest investments missing so much time

Maybe so but McBurnie scored more goals than both of them combined last year than they managed in our promotion season.

Also, McBurnie played his part in keeping us up in our first season back in the PL as well. I think McBurnie has probably paid for himself despite everything.

Didn’t he intimate that we’ve got more options on contracts than people realise?
Yeah he did, I do still think it's unusual for a team in our position to be having so many players basically on the equivalent of 1 year rolling deals. It makes it difficult to sell or hold onto players of value and makes things feel fragile in terms of mid-term planning but in fairness I don't think there's many of those players that people would want tied down to long term deals and the 1 year options leave us in a position of strength when it comes to making decisions on the squad.

Hotel, HSBC land, Shoreham Street plot - common denominator = tangible assets that can be used as securities for loans in the future if needed.

Fitness has been the main issue with McBurnie IMO. He had a couple bad years but since last season he's largely been very good when fit.

Similar story with Berge, spent a while struggling to get fit and then was great in the championship.

Brewster obviously the extreme example where he's just barely played.

I don't know if that's a problem on our end where we've missed something in our scouting or if it's to do with training methods but it seriously needs looking at. Can't keep having our best players/biggest investments missing so much time

There is also the fact that not every player a club signs works out.

Maybe so but McBurnie scored more goals than both of them combined last year than they managed in our promotion season.

Also, McBurnie played his part in keeping us up in our first season back in the PL as well. I think McBurnie has probably paid for himself despite everything.

Actually agree there I think we have probably just about broke even with that but then again its our way. Ideally he should have been knocking the goals in all over the shop.

With regards to the hotel, HSBC Land, Scarborough land and question about where has the money come from if we are skint someone else mentioned these will have been projects on the go for months not sudden decisions ergo the money for them will have been earmarked long since. Money that cant be touched as allocated to these projects.

Only slight silver lining on the money transfer front is if Villa buyback Archer we will get a small sum back which would go towards some kind of transfer.

We are still in the mire player wise we just cant compete with the PL unless we get PL quality players in. Unfortunately we have fallen into that gap that is widening faster now year by year.

Presumably the plot is up for sale with planning permission in place for a number of flats. So if the club are interested then they have to offer more than any builder / developer that might want to pay to build it out….and then hope that Scarborough are more interested in money than grudges. Time will tell.
Planning app expired, so no planning app linked to them

Yeah he did, I do still think it's unusual for a team in our position to be having so many players basically on the equivalent of 1 year rolling deals. It makes it difficult to sell or hold onto players of value and makes things feel fragile in terms of mid-term planning but in fairness I don't think there's many of those players that people would want tied down to long term deals and the 1 year options leave us in a position of strength when it comes to making decisions on the squad.
We were in severe financial distress during the time when those contracts would have normally been looked at, so probably not in a position to nearly meet their expectations. That may prove to be a blessing, as they’re clearly not up to pushing us on. That’s not to say the alternatives will be better.

Actually agree there I think we have probably just about broke even with that but then again its our way. Ideally he should have been knocking the goals in all over the shop.

With regards to the hotel, HSBC Land, Scarborough land and question about where has the money come from if we are skint someone else mentioned these will have been projects on the go for months not sudden decisions ergo the money for them will have been earmarked long since. Money that cant be touched as allocated to these projects.

Only slight silver lining on the money transfer front is if Villa buyback Archer we will get a small sum back which would go towards some kind of transfer.

We are still in the mire player wise we just cant compete with the PL unless we get PL quality players in. Unfortunately we have fallen into that gap this is widening year by year.

Maybe not so much if it is true and we have more 1 year options on players contracts than we the fans know about.

As for McBurnie and Moose they helped us to a top 10 finish is which something the club would never have expected going into that season. Yet just our luck that a fair chunk of that extra prize money was eaten up due to COVID and the club having to buy its own facilities back off McWobbleGob.

I think that's harsh on Norwood and Egan who for a combined £6m improved us immensely, got us to the Premier League and played a massive part in keeping us there. I'd say they were great signings.

You've also missed Ramsdale, Archer, Hamer and Souza from the big money spends, two of which will make a profit and the other two are still here for next season. We definitely have something to show for them.

I'm not defending our recruitment by the way, I think it's generally been poor.
Bad comms on my part - I meant that Egs and Norwood weren’t as good value for money (in that we paid in the millions for them) than the others, but still good buys.

The big money signings aside, I think we’ve actually had pretty good recruitment. Some notable good loans, MGW, Doyle offset by the Laroucis of the world.

The point I’m making is we’ve got to spend our money better. If anyone saw the Coventry game, Ellis Simms cost £8mill, an absolute steal. We’ve just spent 2 on a keeper!

Our failure to plan ahead with contracts and move the club forward in general caused the problem of selling out best 2 players and also the amount of players now coming to the end of their contracts this season
Did you actually listen to Bettis on this subject ! He came up with some sensible answers or are you a doubting Thomas?

Our failure to plan ahead with contracts and move the club forward in general caused the problem of selling out best 2 players and also the amount of players now coming to the end of their contracts this season
I don't mind most of these players being out of contract as many are on high wages, which we could free up, and most are inconsistent and unreliable.

Baldock, Bogle (as a winger, not full back), Norrington-Davies (if he's not been O'Connelled), are about the only ones I'd consider keeping. The rest can go, many of whom should have been replaced last season and certain this summer. We need to look forward, not back, and a mass clear out can do us some good and remove some of the stigma of this season. The last thing we need is to get off to a bad start and these defeatist losers to give up again as they often do when the first goal goes in. We owe them nothing, they owe us, many for two seasons of diabolically woeful football. Scrub that, arguably three seasons as last season was hardly memorable but for the final league position. The football was more often than not scrappy and dull.

165m over 3/4 up front some extremley poor planning
Over how many premier league seasons, and as for the outgoings as well..come on you can't just quote the outgoings when the incoming from ramsdale, illiman, and berge are not getting took into account...

What was it...

26m ramsdale
20 for berge
20 for illiman..

66m there... so we haven't spent 160m have we without recouping ...

Bettis said yesterday that financially we were in trouble last season... that was putting it mildly...

it was for the best the phone lines went down. No disrespect but the first caller spent a while airing grievances before getting to two questions. Time is limited and we want to hear from Bettis. Fans need to get to the point quickly with these things.

I’ve criticised him in the past especially when he came over as ‘Nervous Wreck” Bettis at the time Wilder left.

But he came over as “Confident, in control Bettis” this time around.

I thought he spoke well, gave good answers without hesitation and reassured fans there was a plan but of course there would always be confined to that.

Training Ground up and running in two seasons with Academy 1 status to join it (though not clear if both naturally arrive at once), desire to buy the parcels of land near the ground, recruitment staff shortlist in place.

Encouraging within the confines of who we are and the resources we have.

Fact is we don’t have a mad benefactor who can burn cash. So we do have to be disciplined.

The loss last year is explained away as being exaggerated by player bonuses of around 12m and then player amortisation rather than cash losses.

Solid display from him I thought.

Simple!
Why does a club that get 30k home support each week struggle money ?
Why does a club who sells its best players year upon year struggle ?
Why does a club that brings in extra wealth thru cup semis struggle financially?
MAYBE it's time thru lack of trust in every owner we've had that like
Exeter , orient and a few others thst us fans actually owned and ran the club.
We've gone a 100 years no major trophy and still attract huge support we couldn't do any worse.

Caveat emptor. The responsibility for the clusterfuck that is Brewster lies solely with United. Liverpool and that buck-toothed bellend Klopp must have pissed themselves laughing.

it was for the best the phone lines went down. No disrespect but the first caller spent a while airing grievances before getting to two questions. Time is limited and we want to hear from Bettis. Fans need to get to the point quickly with these things.

I’ve criticised him in the past especially when he came over as ‘Nervous Wreck” Bettis at the time Wilder left.

But he came over as “Confident, in control Bettis” this time around.

I thought he spoke well, gave good answers without hesitation and reassured fans there was a plan but of course there would always be confined to that.

Training Ground up and running in two seasons with Academy 1 status to join it (though not clear if both naturally arrive at once), desire to buy the parcels of land near the ground, recruitment staff shortlist in place.

Encouraging within the confines of who we are and the resources we have.

Fact is we don’t have a mad benefactor who can burn cash. So we do have to be disciplined.

The loss last year is explained away as being exaggerated by player bonuses of around 12m and then player amortisation rather than cash losses.

Solid display from him I thought.
Agree champs he was a different man to the previouse interview he sounded confident and on top of his job.
I see the mob are at it already questioning his comments,we got 30 million for Berge& Ulliman not forty as a previouse poster said.
Why do some on here try to commit mischief when he said 30 not 40 was the fees.
Bettis cleared a lot of thing! Some on hear just love to pull us down. ,

Always thinks Bettis comes across well. Worth remembering he’s probably between a rock and a hard place trying to please both the owner and the football club.

I’ve said it before, and this got dismissed yesterday, unfortunately, but I think he could probably do with some more help beneath him to run the club. A DoF would surely lift some weight off his and others’ shoulders.

One thing I was a bit worried about was Stephen’s lack of commitment to lessons learned in order to not repeat last summer.

It was better than I was expecting but there were still some bizarre and ominous bits.
Someone asked him what he viewed as 'success' and he went all David Brent and said something along the lines of 'We've won health and safety awards! THAT'S success!'
When asked if under the current ownership is bottom of the Premier League the best we can hope for? The brutal answer was 'Yes!'
True dat!

Back
Top Bottom