Bettis radio sheff tomorrow

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I suppose in hindsight asking about Billy Sharp may have been a slight waste of a question, I’ll hold my hands up.

Sounds like Berge leaving was a forgone conclusion from the start of the window, maybe that’s why he waited til day before window closed to get his replacement in. I bet Burnley couldn’t believe we weren’t taking their cut down offer at the start of the window, knowing that we’d maybe need some time to get his replacement ready.

Presumably the plot is up for sale with planning permission in place for a number of flats. So if the club are interested then they have to offer more than any builder / developer that might want to pay to build it out….and then hope that Scarborough are more interested in money than grudges. Time will tell.
But, as I mentioned in one of the other threads, I’m not sure the value to builders is a real threat. There’s a reason Scarborough aren’t building it themselves and have pimped it out. It’s not a great site with an amazing return, if it was they’d be already on with it.
Still, managed to get a view fans wound up about us not being able to expand the ground so I guess it could have made us blink and pay up over the odds.
If this is purchased by the club then it’s another well piece of astute business. We just need it to spread to our recruitment.

Presumably the plot is up for sale with planning permission in place for a number of flats. So if the club are interested then they have to offer more than any builder / developer that might want to pay to build it out….and then hope that Scarborough are more interested in money than grudges. Time will tell.

Likely why he put planning permission in.

So does anyone have a summary, or does Addison's post cover pretty much everything mentioned?

I suppose in hindsight asking about Billy Sharp may have been a slight waste of a question, I’ll hold my hands up.

Sounds like Berge leaving was a forgone conclusion from the start of the window, maybe that’s why he waited til day before window closed to get his replacement in. I bet Burnley couldn’t believe we weren’t taking their cut down offer at the start of the window, knowing that we’d maybe need some time to get his replacement ready.

We should have set a deadline for clubs meet our valuation of Berge. If they don't meet our valuation before our deadline then he doesn't leave. Same goes for Ndiaye. I'm just not buying this 'we were helpless' rubbish.

I actually think Bettis came across much better than his last car crash of an interview, but he seems to epitomise that loser attitude. For example:

- He said words to the effect of: we're in a much better place now than when the Prince joined when we were in League One, so there's a lot to be thankful for. Yes, well at least we're not still at one of the lowest ebbs in the club's history Stephen.

- He went on about how Ndiaye and Berge just wouldn't sign new contracts and there was nothing we could do. How we just couldn't afford to turn down that kind of money for them. He even admitted we could never have replaced Ndiaye. So why sell him? It's the attitude that we're only going to be in this position once, so we need to tek muneh while we can.

I think we have a right to expect better than these constant hard luck stories coming from him and the Prince.

Last edited:
I thought the show was excellent, credit to both Radio Sheffield and Stephen Bettis.

The phone lines being down probably improved the show. There were still some good questions asked via text message (or whatever) so it didn’t really need live callers anyway.

Rob Staton conducted the interview brilliantly, got through a lot of questions.

Stephen Bettis didn’t shirk answering any questions and hearing from him again reinforces my opinion that we are lucky to have him here. I think he’s a smart fella, realistic and honest.

I feel more positive after listening to it anyway.

I thought the show was excellent, credit to both Radio Sheffield and Stephen Bettis.

The phone lines being down probably improved the show. There were still some good questions asked via text message (or whatever) so it didn’t really need live callers anyway.

Rob Staton conducted the interview brilliantly, got through a lot of questions.

Stephen Bettis didn’t shirk answering any questions and hearing from him again reinforces my opinion that we are lucky to have him here. I think he’s a smart fella, realistic and honest.

I feel more positive after listening to it anyway.

Great, champions next season.

Our failure to plan ahead with contracts and move the club forward in general caused the problem of selling out best 2 players and also the amount of players now coming to the end of their contracts this season

Sad and defeatist interview that could well herald another summer shitshow.
He just shrugged his shoulders and offered nothing of substance, pretty much in tune with the team's efforts this season. We just drift along, unable to help losing our best players, unable to help ourselves from negotiating the sale of the club to absolute goons, unable to do anything but accept we can't compete.
Worrying times ahead.

Our failure to plan ahead with contracts and move the club forward in general caused the problem of selling out best 2 players and also the amount of players now coming to the end of their contracts this season
Our best 2 players WERE offered new contracts but for their own reasons, decided not to sign them.
I suspect they wouldn't have no matter how much they might have been offered.
As a result the club got some cash for them rather than forcing them to see out their contracts and then still losing them but for nothing next summer.

Bettis on the squad rebuild today: "the club are of the opinion that Chris Wilder, in this instance, will and should have a major say in bringing in players and that adding another person on top of the Head of Recruitment may only serve to complicate matters."

So given that Wilder is having such a "major say" and it's such a huge squad rebuild, then surely it warrants asking if its wise to only have one year left on the managers contract?
Wilder having a ‘major say’ in recruitment is important in the context of the question being asked (about the need (or otherwise) for the appointment of the separate position of Head of Recruitment). It has no bearing on the preferred length of his contract.
The strategy will be for five plus years, and given the scale of the rebuild needed, the plan will, as you allude, have to span several windows, realistically. However, there’s no reason why Wilder needs to be given a long term contract even though he will play a big role in choice of here and now recruits. The strategy will be set, the plan will be set, and Wilders job is to select the right players within that context to drive on field performance. If he does this well, then extend his contract accordingly. If he fails, then sack him, and recruit somebody else who you believe will give you a better chance of delivering the existing plan and strategy.
Wilder has a very chequered history in terms of recruitment ( assuming that he has had influence to date). It would be a significant business risk to offer him a long term contract without evidence of his ability to deliver on an agreed plan and strategy. Ultimately, his specific role focuses primarily on short term performance in successful identification of recruits fitting the plan, and in delivering results on the field.

One thing i thought was wrong was we have offered a position to someone high up in the recruitment team but not the head of recruitment, i would have thought you should get the head of recruitment and then let him work with you to get the right personal to work with him, but what do i know

So does anyone have a summary, or does Addison's post cover pretty much everything mentioned?
Not in my notes were;

Catering - 10 year contract has a break clause.
Jebbision - contract renewal they are focusing on at the moment. Confirmed his "illness" was a blood clot now back in training.
Kop site Land - Club is interested in purchasing.
Additional data analysts going to be employed in recruitment team.
Berge and Ndiaye sales again. Did say he contacted Ndiayes agent every 3 months but he wasn't interested in signing.
80% of the decisions have been made on who they would like to retain next year.
Season ticket sales should be out next week.

To me this just all seems such a strange situation we find our club currently in.

On the one hand it appears we’re skint. Even though we may have cleared debt due to promotion and PL revenues, but didnt I read that the club have taken out a further charge recently, which I guess is guaranteed against future income? (parachute payment)

On the other hand. We’re laying out monies on the hotel, buying the HSBC land and looking to negotiate the Scarborough holdings land

The above doesn’t really make sense, unless of course a takeover, or at least investment is definitely forthcoming?

Bettis reckons we’ll know one way or the other by early summer. I’m hoping it’s more like a done deal but he just can’t say anything

Reactions: Dkc
Sad and defeatist interview that could well herald another summer shitshow.
He just shrugged his shoulders and offered nothing of substance, pretty much in tune with the team's efforts this season. We just drift along, unable to help losing our best players, unable to help ourselves from negotiating the sale of the club to absolute goons, unable to do anything but accept we can't compete.
Worrying times ahead.
Shy of someone else stumping up lots of cash, what would you do?

Please avoid “long term planning” and other such meaningless guff.

To me this just all seems such a strange situation we find our club currently in.

On the one hand it appears we’re skint. Even though we may have cleared debt due to promotion and PL revenues, but didnt I read that the club have taken out a further charge recently, which I guess is guaranteed against future income? (parachute payment)

On the other hand. We’re laying out monies on the hotel, buying the HSBC land and looking to negotiate the Scarborough holdings land

The above doesn’t really make sense, unless of course a takeover, or at least investment is definitely forthcoming?

Bettis reckons we’ll know one way or the other by early summer. I’m hoping it’s more like a done deal but he just can’t say anything
The recent loan is surely just about cash flow, as premiership money isn’t paid up front.

Hotels and training grounds are surely part of long term planning that so many people say we do none of?

Whilst I admit I don't fully understand the role of a "Director of Football", I'm still suspicious of what our recruitment strategy is going forward.

Since Wilder's arrival in 2016 we have made some terrific signings, particularly the cheap ones (JOC, Didsy, Fleck, Baldock, Duffy), some not as great but not super expensive (Anel, Egans, Norwood) but then the worrying BIG money spends (Brewster, McB, Mousset, Berge) of which we have nothing to show for.

Got to do something different.

Fair doos but I still find it odd alcoblade
To me, it reads like got the funds, but not the cash flow until future payments are received.

Can you clarify what seems odd to you?

Whilst I admit I don't fully understand the role of a "Director of Football", I'm still suspicious of what our recruitment strategy is going forward.

Since Wilder's arrival in 2016 we have made some terrific signings, particularly the cheap ones (JOC, Didsy, Fleck, Baldock, Duffy), some not as great but not super expensive (Anel, Egans, Norwood) but then the worrying BIG money spends (Brewster, McB, Mousset, Berge) of which we have nothing to show for.

In the defence of some of the big money spends. Mousset at least got us the goals that helped us stay up in our first season back in the PL and that high finish alone paid for his transfer fee. The fact he became a pudding afterwards is less relevant.

Berge helped us get relegated but redeemed himself in helping us getting promoted.

McBurnie same as above despite never being fully fit, he did still bag a decent amount goals last year.

Brewster I agree has been a total waste of money overall to the point that I'd be asking questions of Liverpool regarding his fitness and transfer.

Or try and do more of the first two examples and cu my out the third. My assumption is that Wilder and the owner believe they know where they went wrong, hence why they’re trying again.
I’m not so sure, but at this point we’ve little more than hope to lose because we’re fucked eitherway if they haven’t.

Back
Top Bottom