CONFIRMED Best wishes Billy Sharp - Joins LA Galaxy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He's got 6 goals in approx 250 minutes so far in MLS.

Be a good one for a pub quiz question in a few years, this match. "Billy Sharp opened the scoring for for the home side, Teemu Pukki responded for the visitors. One of them went on to get a hat-trick. One point each for naming the two teams, a bonus point if you can tell me the exact score"

While we all talk about MLS being League One level, the truth is, for a player in the twilight of his career, it is by far the better choice to make.

No disrespect to any team in League One, but Billy has been there, with us, and if the choice is playing Stevenage, Shrewsbury, Port Vale, etc., or playing Salt Lake City, Austin, and Dallas, and being on mainstream TV and in the main sports pages of the press, then why not.

If he carries on like this, he will be a hero for the LA Galaxy fans and will be known by every MLS fan in the USA.

Carry on Billy!

While we all talk about MLS being League One level, the truth is, for a player in the twilight of his career, it is by far the better choice to make.

No disrespect to any team in League One, but Billy has been there, with us, and if the choice is playing Stevenage, Shrewsbury, Port Vale, etc., or playing Salt Lake City, Austin, and Dallas, and being on mainstream TV and in the main sports pages of the press, then why not.

If he carries on like this, he will be a hero for the LA Galaxy fans and will be known by every MLS fan in the USA.

Carry on Billy!

1695288508145.png

Carry on Billy!

The ones sniping at him for scoring in a weaker league than the Premier would be the first to stick the boot in if he wasn't scoring.

Sheffield United fans - best int world...

Have a guess how many goals LA would have scored if they were facing a Premier League defence as opposed to an MLS defence
In my view they’d get their arses handed to them by any premier team and quite a few champ teams.

Love billy, love what he has given us. But it was time and im delighted he’s filling his boots over there

Absolutely made up for Billy to be banging goals in and looking like he's having a shitload of fun over there. Fitting end to a wonderful career.

I don't think we should have kept him, and I don't think we should even entertain the idea of some sort of loan move once their season is over. Billy's time in the English Leagues is over. He spent 20 years smashing goals in everywhere he went. Why would he want to run the risk of trying to play in a league that is orders of magnitude above where he is currently playing? No disrespect intended to him at all, but the Premier League is on another planet entirely to MLS.

Enjoy your time in LA Skipper, you've earned it 10 times over. He will ALWAYS be a Blades legend, and one of our own. Genuinely hope that one day he returns as manager, if that's where he wants his post-playing career to go.

If Billeh gets another year in LA I’d be keen to see him let out his inner hipster, grow out a curly mullet and become performatively vintage. 😍😍

Tote bag with 80s slogan on it, ASMR on a loop on his wired headphones, starts entering Tetris tournaments. 😍😍

Shows it was the right move for all parties. Similar to Mcgoldrick to Country or Derby. Go and play, at a level where you can score and have fun whilst your at it.

Rose tinted specs aside Billy isn’t Premier League quality anymore, nor part of a longer term plan.

Just because he’s scoring goals in the Ultimate Soccer World Championship Playoffs doesn’t mean it was a mistake.

Billy will do what he does, and have a blast living in LA for for a year or two. Can’t think of a better end to an illustrious career.
Good move for Billy Sharp, but where has it left us? Needing to play young kids or players who aren’t ever going to be good enough. We’ve spent 3million on Traore which could have gone to a LB and allowed us to bring in a better attacking loan player! Stupid isn’t the word.

Good move for Billy Sharp, but where has it left us? Needing to play young kids or players who aren’t ever going to be good enough. We’ve spent 3million on Traore which could have gone to a LB and allowed us to bring in a better attacking loan player! Stupid isn’t the word.
Dreadfully short at the top of the pitch.

Dreadfully !!

UTB

BlackAdder, "Baldrick, I have a cunning plan, we let Billy go to LA galaxy to get some games under his belt, get fit and start scoring goals."
"Yes Captain..."
Blackadder , "We then wait till the Jan transfer window, bring him back to the trenches, so he can slay the enemy....and keeps us safe in no-mans land"
"Yes Captain"
Blackadder, "Whats for dinner Baldrick?"
Baldrick, "fricassee pigeon with roast sock dumpling and goat poo peas...."
"Baldrick, where did you get the pigeons from?"
"I found them roaming around the platoon football pitch behind our trenches sir....."
Slaps Baldrick on head
"Baldrick, that was our last line of defensive and offensive power."

It's looking a like a good move for Billy, I hope he's loving it out there, no one would deserve it more.

It's not to true to say it's been a good move all round though, Sheffield United would definitely be better off with him still around. I don't think many of us questioned it at the time we released him, as we assumed we'd be signing some improvements in the striker department. What's actually happened though, is we've swapped (arguably downgraded) Sharp and Ndiaye for Archer and Traore.

He'd have played a big part for us so far, and if he became surplus to requirements later down the line he could have easily gone to the MLS for the start of next season in January anyway. In hindsight it was a bad bit of business.

The ones sniping at him for scoring in a weaker league than the Premier would be the first to stick the boot in if he wasn't scoring.

Sheffield United fans - best int world...

There's nobody Sheffield United fans despise more than people who have done well here. It's unique. As soon as they have a bad spell or leave to better themselves it rears its head.

Who the fuck would begrudge Billy ripping it up in LA? Yes, we could have benefited from his input in and around the dressing room, but let’s be honest he’d have been a bit part player spending most of his time on the bench.
He now has a chance to carve out a new life for himself and his family, and be a hero to a new set of fans in the twilight of his career.

Who the fuck would begrudge Billy ripping it up in LA? Yes, we could have benefited from his input in and around the dressing room, but let’s be honest he’d have been a bit part player spending most of his time on the bench.
He now has a chance to carve out a new life for himself and his family, and be a hero to a new set of fans in the twilight of his career.
No one. It’s great for Billy and richly deserved.

However. The gaffer wanted him to stay. It is up for serious debate as to whether he would have had a bit part at the start of this season. Probably not !

That being the case, might he have forced the issue at the beginning of the season by showing good form ?

I guess we will never know. But we have been dreadfully short at the top of the pitch and this won’t change anytime soon. Sadly !

UTB

Goals at this level were a given. It’s Billy Sharp FFS.

Would be more interested to know what his overall performance levels have been like. Not just the goals. ?

Hold up play ?

Work rate ?
UTB
He was excellent all round last night. Granted, the standard is a lot lower.

He was excellent all round last night. Granted, the standard is a lot lower.
Interesting.

Might be me, and only me, but I’ve just not seen the massive drop off in overall performance levels that others so confidently state.

Maybe I’ll get my 👀 tested !😉.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom