CONFIRMED Benie Traore leaves on Loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We’ve already got Osula, One, Marsh, Hackford and Jebbison (albeit not for long). We just didn’t need a development striker as he won’t get the game time to develop and blocks the development of existing assets.

Strange signing, even for £500k-£1m.
I don’t believe he was ever a development striker, he was signed with the notion that he would be good enough to go straight into the 1st team squad which he was, and competing for a start very quickly. But he was a genuine mistake by the scouting team and not a development signing, by now offloading him with an option to buy means we are trying to cut ties and get rid. If he was genuinely a development signing and one for the future we would loan him out yes but not get rid imo. Our scouting can be a shambles at times.

If we were Forest-esque in blank-cheque spending and buying players to develop in 2/3 years I'd have understood the Traore signing, but the £4m fee, coupled with how we chucked him in straight away, suggests to me we genuinely pinned hopes on Traore surprising the Premier League after a brief period of success in a much less competitive league.

It's been a waste of our precious little money and seriously hampered his development.

The signing has been a clusterfuck.

Last edited:
A developmental signing up front when we had jebbo, osula and obviously had or were chasing Archer is completely brainless

We have to keep looking for players with potential. Traore was top scorer in one of the Scandinavian leagues, and many would say he'd done more at that level than Slimane and Ahmedhodzic, although of course the latter had a spell in France (getting relegated).

At the time of his signing we had three tall strikers in McBurnie, Jebbison and Osula with a pacey finisher in Archer also on the way in, and then Brewster, also a central striker. I think we must also have looked at the top scorer in Norway at the time, Akor Adams, a power house of a centre forward. They both scored goals, but I think we saw that Traore, long term, looked more likely to offer something to the existing options up front. Traore, while smaller and maybe not proven over a long period, had more technical ability, was nippier, and scored more with his feet. He'd also figured more in wide positions, so we probably thought he could be used in different roles.

But at the start of the season McBurnie, Brewster and Jebbison were unavailable. The ball didn't stick up front, we struggled to get the ball and when we did, passed it backwards a lot and. It wasn't a great environment for Traore to adapt in, let alone impress in. His lack of physicality may have showed more, when the team in general was poor in that respect.

So how bad was he, in those three matches he started? How much worse was he, compared to the other players? I don't have a great memory, but using S24SU's wealth of knowledge and expertise, the match ratings showed:

• Palace - 4th best rating (6,62)
  • Forest - 4th best rating (6,53)
  • Man City - 6th best rating (7,27)
He's been a sub after that.

Less disastrous, compared to the others after all? Higher scores, than the likes of AA, Egan and JR in all games? Surprised me too.

Wilder's back now and he's got to do something to achieve improvement. Judging by the rumours he may be wanting to add more strength and experience. It may well be a good idea. Traore's not match fit, probably low on confidence and we know little in general how he's settled on a personal level. A change of scenery may do him good. The team may benefit from different attributes than those Traore can offer at the moment. But I maintain we have to assess and consider players doing well in other leagues. It is too expensive to always wait for players' break through season in a top league.

Are players who don't get to play often written off? We don't always know the reasons for players not figuring. Whether it's injuries, not fitting into the style, a team mate doing well in that position, attributes not complementing those of another player, personal stuff... I sometimes feel the absence, in itself, affects how the player is perceived by fans. Not many are really, REALLY looking forward to the return of Jebbison, and I'm not sure it (lack of expectancy) is exclusively based on his performances, and the promise he showed prior to his current illness/injury.

If we were Forest-esque in blank-cheque spending and buying players to develop in 2/3 years I'd have understood the Traore signing, but the £4m fee plus how we chucked him in straight away suggests to me we genuinely pinned hopes on Traore surprising the Premier League after a brief period of success in a much less competitive league.

It's been a waste of our precious little money and seriously hampered his development.

I don’t think it will have seriously hampered his development at his age. Training every day with our squad won’t have done him any harm. He’ll have got something from it even though we haven’t.

We have to keep looking for players with potential. Traore was top scorer in one of the Scandinavian leagues, and many would say he'd done more at that level than Slimane and Ahmedhodzic, although of course the latter had a spell in France (getting relegated).

At the time of his signing we had three tall strikers in McBurnie, Jebbison and Osula with a pacey finisher in Archer also on the way in, and then Brewster, also a central striker. I think we must also have looked at the top scorer in Norway at the time, Akor Adams, a power house of a centre forward. They both scored goals, but I think we saw that Traore, long term, looked more likely to offer something to the existing options up front. Traore, while smaller and maybe not proven over a long period, had more technical ability, was nippier, and scored more with his feet. He'd also figured more in wide positions, so we probably thought he could be used in different roles.

But at the start of the season McBurnie, Brewster and Jebbison were unavailable. The ball didn't stick up front, we struggled to get the ball and when we did, passed it backwards a lot and. It wasn't a great environment for Traore to adapt in, let alone impress in. His lack of physicality may have showed more, when the team in general was poor in that respect.

So how bad was he, in those three matches he started? How much worse was he, compared to the other players? I don't have a great memory, but using S24SU's wealth of knowledge and expertise, the match ratings showed:

Less disastrous, compared to the others after all? Higher scores, than the likes of AA, Egan and JR in all games? Surprised me too.

Wilder's back now and he's got to do something to achieve improvement. Judging by the rumours he may be wanting to add more strength and experience. It may well be a good idea. Traore's not match fit, probably low on confidence and we know little in general how he's settled on a personal level. A change of scenery may do him good. The team may benefit from different attributes than those Traore can offer at the moment. But I maintain we have to assess and consider players doing well in other leagues. It is too expensive to always wait for players' break through season in a top league.

Are players who don't get to play often written off? We don't always know the reasons for players not figuring. Whether it's injuries, not fitting into the style, a team mate doing well in that position, attributes not complementing those of another player, personal stuff... I sometimes feel the absence, in itself, affects how the player is perceived by fans. Not many are really, REALLY looking forward to the return of Jebbison, and I'm not sure it (lack of expectancy) is exclusively based on his performances, and the promise he showed prior to his current illness/injury.

I think the thing with Traore is to be that small and successful he has to have some outstanding attributes, certainly at PL level. I don’t think he has.

Bergen Bergen Bergen. You know football and how to spot a player. Look at his size. He scored well in his previous league because he was a converted winger and could use his speed down the middle or in the channels on a break in a poor league. Quite why our recruitment team thought that putting a small winger directly against the huge athletes of the premiership would work is beyond me. By all means assess and consider other players and leagues but don’t spend £4mill on what still looks to me like a ridiculous gamble. I mean Oli Burke did the same shit off a shovel job but with more physicality and still failed. And no, I’m not looking forward to a Jebbison return. Simply not convinced by him and as for Brewster, I have never ever in all my years of watching and playing football seen a player who simply doesn’t know where to stand never mind where to run to to be effective. Please God, let Wilder see he fucked up rather than playing this dud for another season.

BT Traore was a punt. At £4-5 million.
He still has time to develop. Or would people prefer we spend 20 on an English punt again like RB? Ok maybe not. So.... Signing a PL quality striker. Probably 60 odd million for one of those.

Bergen Bergen Bergen. You know football and how to spot a player. Look at his size. He scored well in his previous league because he was a converted winger and could use his speed down the middle or in the channels on a break in a poor league. Quite why our recruitment team thought that putting a small winger directly against the huge athletes of the premiership would work is beyond me. By all means assess and consider other players and leagues but don’t spend £4mill on what still looks to me like a ridiculous gamble. I mean Oli Burke did the same shit off a shovel job but with more physicality and still failed. And no, I’m not looking forward to a Jebbison return. Simply not convinced by him and as for Brewster, I have never ever in all my years of watching and playing football seen a player who simply doesn’t know where to stand never mind where to run to to be effective. Please God, let Wilder see he fucked up rather than playing this dud for another season.
This. I'd send Brewster out on loan ahead of Traore. I think Jebbison will be a success, but seems inevitable that he will leave now.

Poor lad if only he had come through our Academy.
GLTTL.

I feel he was signed as someone who could deputise and develop as a potential the long term successor for Ndiaye, should he leave at the end of the season. Regular bench player and starts as he develops, injuries/suspensions etc....figure same with Slimane and Berge. Best laid plans of mice and men....

Another waste of time signing
It happens - just as it did to that Sebastian Veron bloke who failed to impress at
Man United
'However, fans and pundits alike agreed that the signing was an expensive flop.[20] Verón later commented that the reason for his fitness problems and struggles with injuries at Manchester United were due to the less intense summer pre-season training in England.[6]"
Although we didn't pay £28.1 million for Traore 😁

It happens - just as it did to that Sebastian Veron bloke who failed to impress at
Man United
'However, fans and pundits alike agreed that the signing was an expensive flop.[20] Verón later commented that the reason for his fitness problems and struggles with injuries at Manchester United were due to the less intense summer pre-season training in England.[6]"
Although we didn't pay £28.1 million for Traore 😁

It's a crying shame Veron's time in England didn't work out because he may well have ended up at the Lane towards the end of his career.

I'd agree with what you say here, which is why it was a very poor signing from the off. We didn't need to be spending that much money on a "development" player given our limited resources.

My goodness, that was a bad transfer window.
When you’ve got Jebbison, Osula, Oné and Marsh, I’d like to know who concluded “what we need is another one like them, apart from much smaller!”

One came in way after Traore.. just saying
Oné did and someone strong looking well above his age range and already playing first team at 17 is the sort you can get behind.

Just don’t see what the need was for Traore. If we’d signed the guy Everton got then you’d understand.

I am also unapologetically ‘sizeist’ when it comes to footballers. A good big ‘un always beats a good little ‘un is a mantra oft quoted.

Whilst you’ll always get the exceptional counterpoints of Messi, Xavi etc, they stand out because they are exceptional. We see so many players who are excellent athletes at this level even before you consider their talent. It’s an added thing to overcome and certainly when a fair bit of play - corners, crosses, goal kicks - can be aerial, it’s a significant disadvantage if you are immediately losing that battle before it’s been waged.

Last edited:
wanted him to do so well,hes off but i hope he comes back and rips championship up you might laugh but weve all liked players for no reason

Fun bitd when opposition fans would chant » Benny » at Birmingham fans. The troops in the Falklands got in bother for calling the islanders Bennys, so reverted to calling them « Stills » …..StillBennys

If we were Forest-esque in blank-cheque spending and buying players to develop in 2/3 years I'd have understood the Traore signing, but the £4m fee, coupled with how we chucked him in straight away, suggests to me we genuinely pinned hopes on Traore surprising the Premier League after a brief period of success in a much less competitive league.

We chucked him in straight away as Ndiaye left at short notice and everyone else was injured, it was a case of needs must

We chucked him in straight away as Ndiaye left at short notice and everyone else was injured, it was a case of needs must
But we had marsh, osula hackford and jebbo in the young striker group and signed One as well. If he was signed as a prospect it makes little sense. He's just not good enough.

But we had marsh, osula hackford and jebbo in the young striker group and signed One as well. If he was signed as a prospect it makes little sense. He's just not good enough.
Hadn't he just come straight from a successful season in Sweden and so at least could have been deemed to be match fit? Whether he was good enough is a different point.

The whole transfer window was a cluster fuck

Back
Top Bottom