CONFIRMED Ben Brereton Diaz signs on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I don't think doubters understand the logistics involved with a team travelling away. Whether it be a coach (with a capacity) or overnight accommodation (at a cost).

We obviously already have our travelling mascot in Brewster so why waste money on insisting players travel and attend games they're not going to play in?

Good on Diaz for entertaining himself at a Forest game. Good on Hamer (maybe one day) if he attends a Cov game if injured or suspended. Etc...

I don't think doubters understand the logistics involved with a team travelling away. Whether it be a coach (with a capacity) or overnight accommodation (at a cost).

We obviously already have our travelling mascot in Brewster so why waste money on insisting players travel and attend games they're not going to play in?

Good on Diaz for entertaining himself at a Forest game. Good on Hamer (maybe one day) if he attends a Cov game if injured or suspended. Etc...
Aye it dont really bother me. Hamer said last week he attends Coventry games.

Egan and Arblaster both travelled to Luton etc.

---------------------------------​

Yellarbellyblade

Harry Maguire or Kyle in the crowd for one of our games - top lads remembering where they came from
BBD at Forest - it’s a disgrace what’s he doing?

FFS :rolleyes:
---------------------------------------

Not to mention Billy wearing SUFC shinpads while actually playing for Hull.

He should be burnt at the stake :eek:.

Given that he went to school in Blythe Bridge and lived at Meir Park, I’d be surprised if he’s anything but a Stokie, that area’s crawling with them 🙂 PotterLog will know.

You’re right though, I’d rather see him committed to our cause, not one of his old clubs.

He's a Stoke fan alright.

(5:11)

Even his Chilean mum speaks English with a thick Stoke accent 🤣

Bloke ruled out with injury, has an affiliation and invite to former club where he came through the ranks, after being away on foreign soil for last 6 months and spending recent years at Blackburn. Why on earth is it a talking point.

Saw him getting pelters on twitter and just think WTF.

I'm sure this may have been mentioned elsewhere but he's been left out of Chile's squad for upcoming friendlies by their new manager, veteran South American coach Ricardo Gareca. On the face of it not that surprising given his lack of playing time recently, but the reason he's given is that he wants him to learn Spanish. Says he's had long enough, and it's important for team spirit etc. Seems a bit jarring as A) I doubt he's even met the bloke and B) BBD has been incredibly popular with both the squad and the fans throughout his time with Chile, his effect on team spirit has only ever been positive. Slightly smacks of a new boss coming in and singling out a popular player to make an example of to me.

I'm sure this may have been mentioned elsewhere but he's been left out of Chile's squad for upcoming friendlies by their new manager, veteran South American coach Ricardo Gareca. On the face of it not that surprising given his lack of playing time recently, but the reason he's given is that he wants him to learn Spanish. Says he's had long enough, and it's important for team spirit etc. Seems a bit jarring as A) I doubt he's even met the bloke and B) BBD has been incredibly popular with both the squad and the fans throughout his time with Chile, his effect on team spirit has only ever been positive. Slightly smacks of a new boss coming in and singling out a popular player to make an example of to me.
It’s fair comment though isn’t it?

He’s done well not to learn Spanish to some degree.

His Mum is from Chile. He’s just spent several months living in Valencia. He’s been playing for Chile for quite a few years.

Not unreasonable for him to do a few hours a week for a bit of basic conversational stuff. It’s not as if footballers are actually that busy.

His Mum is from Chile. He’s just spent several months living in Valencia. He’s been playing for Chile for quite a few years.

Not unreasonable for him to do a few hours a week for a bit of basic conversational stuff. It’s not as if footballers are actually that busy.

Anyone told him about Duolingo?

Yeah I'm not saying it's a totally invalid point, just seems a bit unnecessary for a new boss to come out and immediately say that publicly when he hasn't even met the guy or seen him with the squad.

I think he has learned a little bit but to offer something of a defence, it can be quite hard to get opportunities to practise a language when you're an English-speaker, because everywhere you go there will be people who speak at least a bit of your own language, and are keen to practise themselves. I suspect that will be the case in the Chile squad, there will be a core of players who speak a reasonable bit of English who he's fallen in with, and his attempts to interact in Spanish will be reduced to a bit of a novelty on the bus or in the pub, rather than any meaningful everyday communication. I'm sure he's been taking classes but that alone can be very slow-going in terms of getting up to speed with real-time interaction.

Overall I lay the blame firmly at the feet of his mother, who never spoke any Spanish at all to her kids growing up. Massive waste of an opportunity - and seemingly paying for it now!

Yeah I'm not saying it's a totally invalid point, just seems a bit unnecessary for a new boss to come out and immediately say that publicly when he hasn't even met the guy or seen him with the squad.

I think he has learned a little bit but to offer something of a defence, it can be quite hard to get opportunities to practise a language when you're an English-speaker, because everywhere you go there will be people who speak at least a bit of your own language, and are keen to practise themselves. I suspect that will be the case in the Chile squad, there will be a core of players who speak a reasonable bit of English who he's fallen in with, and his attempts to interact in Spanish will be reduced to a bit of a novelty on the bus or in the pub, rather than any meaningful everyday communication. I'm sure he's been taking classes but that alone can be very slow-going in terms of getting up to speed with real-time interaction.

Overall I lay the blame firmly at the feet of his mother, who never spoke any Spanish at all to her kids growing up. Massive waste of an opportunity - and seemingly paying for it now!
True it is down also a bit to how you are forced to learn and your desire to do so.

Personally I studied in France in Reims and liked learning French. I picked up a bit of Spanish, Portuguese at night school and was going to night school for Italian for a bit, but then moved continents and didn’t continue it.

But then on the flip side I’ve been in Asia for 17 years now and speak almost no mandarin. Marginal gains and all that, if I’d learned a work a month, never mind week, I’d probably be able to get by, but the desire has to be there.

As you say though, massive miss from the Mum there.

Who gives a shit! I’m half Welsh don’t know more than the odd word. Does that mean if I was good enough I shouldn’t be able to play for them?
Do Souza and Hamer speak perfect English?
It’s a piss poor excuse.

I'll be honest, from his interviews, he doesn't seem the sharpest tool in the chest so maybe he's struggled to learn Spanish. Not judging as foreign languages are a challenge for many people. I learnt conversational Spanish before I backpacked around south America and it's all out the window once you're actually there speaking to locals 😂

I'll be honest, from his interviews, he doesn't seem the sharpest tool in the chest so maybe he's struggled to learn Spanish. Not judging as foreign languages are a challenge for many people. I learnt conversational Spanish before I backpacked around south America and it's all out the window once you're actually there speaking to locals 😂

Back
Top Bottom