Match Thread Aston Villa v. Sheffield United - 22nd December 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

AVIL
AVIL
AVIL

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1703095119857.png vs. 1703095125779.png

Premier League Matchweek 18 - Friday 22nd December 2023 - 20:00 - Villa Park

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Player Ratings:
Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/aston-villa-vs-sheffield-united.674/

Officials:

Referee: Anthony Taylor
Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn
Fourth Official: Darren Bond
VAR: John Brooks
Assistant VAR: Ian Hussin

🚗Matchday Parking:

Stuck for somewhere to park? - CLICK HERE FOR PARKING NEAR VILLA PARK

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 17.58.00.png

How was that not a red card for busting JLT’s head open with an elbow?

The forearm to Hamer’s face in the build up to the goal should have been called too.
Don’t know if Hamer was looking for it a bit too much but I’d have liked to see var have more than just a cursory glance at it.

That elbow was odd. Wonder why it wasn’t given? Split him open. Unless he thinks it was accidental.

All in all that is something to build on and a welcome and unexpected point from a hugely disciplined display.

Not sure I’m even disappointed they scored late in a weird sense because it was coming all game. We just manage to get that buffer of a goal to not leave with nothing.

We'd have all been delighted with a point beforehand and I've no problem being on the back foot like that with our squad but....

Ultimately that's two points dropped by a badly defended free kick. Points dropped against Spurs, City and Villa due to late poor defending aren't shoulder shruggers, they're precious points lost in our position.

So far though Wilder is making a difference that I wasn't confident of

Gutted we drop two points. Chris Wilder had them fire them up big time. The players were all good tonight.

Trusty, Robinson amd Brooks were outstanding....and so was Wes until the equaliser . Souza is growing into his role and I thought Larucci was miles better than Thomas. Such a shame we couldn't hang on but I think the VAR decisions went our way so we should be very happy with a point

Got to be honest surely nobody expected a point at a side flying at home. It's only the lateness that hurts otherwise we would be buzzing. Other than the, in my view fairly ruled out goal and the goal they didn't really shake us either.

Gutted to concede late but happy with a point, managed to see most of the game as I left work at HT.

Good tactical awareness from Wilder, play the cloggers until 60 mins then we brought better players on and scored. I was critical before the game with the selection but in Wilder we trust and all that!

MoM for me was either of the CB’s, both played well. Hamer played well when he came on and McAtee stretches defences.

Poor from Bogle for their goal. Needs to be pressing a more to stop the cross.

Can anyone point me to the rule change that says when an obvious foul on a goalkeeper is negated if the defence clears the ball upfield in a following phase?

Ex pro Carragher seemed to think thems the rules. As did his Co commentator.

As for manager Christopher Lee……

View attachment 176543
He's just got back in his coffin

Thought Emery's post match interview was going to boil my piss but fair play to him.

Having just seen the arm out that hit baldock again at the time I thought well done for not going down like a fanny even though it cut him. We got the reward a goal.

Now? Bit pissed off.

Villa were trying to cheat and con the ref all game,including fouling Foderingham out of sight of the ref,cynical but typical of the PL these days,forcing VAR to make decisions and hope one goes their way

Yeah Demon, maybe he didn't have tje language skills to say what he really felt !
What he really felt was bubbling just under the surface, but their disallowed goal was defo the right decision.

Last edited:
Great effort front the lads! Genuinely feared for the worst as they must have been the most in form team in the league at home and us the worst away. Odds were also 1/5 on a Villa win pre kick-off.

Nice that all their fans have long forgotten the ghost goal too! 😂

IMG_0486.jpeg

What he really felt was bubbling just under the surface, but their disallowed goal was the defo the right decision.
Agree re the goal but I'm not sure how Baldock got away with the pen. When that went to VAR I would have put my house on it been given.

Agree re the goal but I'm not sure how Baldock got away with the pen. When that went to VAR I would have put my house on it been given.
Neville agrees with you but I thought it was inconclusive that it hit both bicep and front of shoulder. Think that puts it in the 'not a clear and obvious error' category. Ref gives it and it's a pen.

We need to replace Wes but do I think that's likely in January? No. He's a good shot stopper for sure but unfortunately it's not as simple as just that.

He stopped us having some absolute stuffings early on but now he's having a little less to do his mistakes aren't being covered up by by making 5/6 good saves

Couple of mates have been in corporate tonight and Alan McInally got quite upset when they celebrated our goal. He was quick to shout we were still going down 😁

Wes probably shouldn't have done the post match interview. He had a pop at the defending not stopping the cross. Bogle was on a yellow.

Wes did this.

Back
Top Bottom