Match Thread AFC Bournemouth v. Sheffield United - 10th Aug 19

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BOUR
BOUR
BOUR

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1565024492276.png V. 1565024512398.png

EPL Week 1 - Saturday 10th August 2019 - Dean Court

Here's your match thread for the EPL season opener at Dean Court. Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/bournemouth-vs-sheffield-united.465/

Officials:

Referee:
Friend, Kevin
Assistant Referee: Wilkes, Matthew
Assistant Referee: Hopton, Nick
Fourth Official: Breakspear, Charles
Video Assistant Referee: Mason, Lee
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Halliday, Andrew

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

download_20190810_100548.jpg

Last edited:

I really think Lunny is Wilder’s blindspot. I’m all for giving last years players a chance. But he hardly played!!!
I think it's more that our fans have a blind spot when it comes to Lundstram. He suffered as he first came in for the then-metronomic Coutts and he isn't the same type of player. He's a good player and if he's playing in a flat three then the mobility and link up play of McGoldrick and Robinson is going to be vital.

I think it's more that our fans have a blind spot when it comes to Lundstram. He suffered as he first came in for the then-metronomic Coutts and he isn't the same type of player. He's a good player and if he's playing in a flat three then the mobility and link up play of McGoldrick and Robinson is going to be vital.

Then why did his removal from the first team last year coincide with our drastic improvement of form and eventual promotion. We have a fully fit squad and I find it puzzling that a player that wasn’t deemed good enough last year, is suddenly a PL starter.

So why pick Lunny then if you want mobility? If that team selection is true we are going to try and styfle their play and try to nick a point.

Is this been shown live anywhere? I've found what looks to be a Chinese channel that's showing it, but could do with finding a backup source in case that goes tits up.

Lunny will do a solid job today if he does actually end up being named in the side.

That said, he's a filler player and not a long term solution - something that I think CW is aware of and also thinking, hence the move for Besic and the urgency of getting in another defensively minded midfielder.

Problem for today is that Besic has only just come in through the door and he hasn't had enough time on the training pitch with our other lads to know the system and how to play with his colleagues. That position is absolutely key as well, so I would be more thankful to see Lunny named in the side today than Besic. Besic will be integrated into the team soon I think.

Keep it solid, don't gift anything, and try and be level with 30 to go, and then I can see the cavalry going on (Sharp, McBurnie, and Freeman) as we go looking to win it.

Just thought how sad I felt not including Duffy in the group of players who we could bring on to go for it..😕 Daft lad.

Is this been shown live anywhere? I've found what looks to be a Chinese channel that's showing it, but could do with finding a backup source in case that goes tits up.

NBC sports network (NBCSN) if you have iptv which provides that channel. Otherwise sure u can find a link for that channel online somewhere

Lunny will do a solid job today if he does actually end up being named in the side.

That said, he's a filler player and not a long term solution - something that I think CW is aware of and also thinking, hence the move for Besic and the urgency of getting in another defensively minded midfielder.

Problem for today is that Besic has only just come in through the door and he hasn't had enough time on the training pitch with our other lads to know the system and how to play with his colleagues. That position is absolutely key as well, so I would be more thankful to see Lunny named in the side today than Besic. Besic will be integrated into the team soon I think.

Keep it solid, don't gift anything, and try and be level with 30 to go, and then I can see the cavalry going on (Sharp, McBurnie, and Freeman) as we go looking to win it.

I see where you’re coming from. My worry is everytime we’ve tried to go defensive under Wilder it’s backfired. I don’t get the overhaul. We had the best defensive record last year playing prominently a 3 with a CAM. Why change it before we know fully if that system will work? I understand it’s a step up, but we surely have a better chance with a system we know, and caused good sides a lot of problems last year. I hope he’s not over thinking this.

In the first post on this thread... Or here...

download_20190810_100548.jpg

Ironic that United have outgrown some really good almost legendary (for us) players, brought in some very fine midfielders and we are still returning to a bit part player for the Championship. I think Lundstram has his place in the game but it would be at second tier for a team needing to defend.

My problem is it so much with lundstram although I don't think he was good enough for us last season I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this time round
It's the flat 3 ,every time we play it we just don't seem to go down without a fight .average teams like forest just overrun us and walk through our midfield and we create very little

I'm hoping there's more tactically to this than just playing a flat back three as I'm.pretty sure we'll lose every time we play that way
Sorry if I seem a bit defeatist but all my optimism for the season has just been sucked out of me with the thought of how we are going to.start the season

Guardian`s preview , got selection a bit wrong I would say !!
Match previews
Premier League

Bournemouth v Sheffield United: match preview

Fri 9 Aug 2019 14.25 BST Last modified on Fri 9 Aug 2019 23.55 BST
Shares

Bournemouth v Sheffield United
Bournemouth v Sheffield United: probable starters in bold, contenders in light

I see where you’re coming from. My worry is everytime we’ve tried to go defensive under Wilder it’s backfired. I don’t get the overhaul. We had the best defensive record last year playing prominently a 3 with a CAM. Why change it before we know fully if that system will work? I understand it’s a step up, but we surely have a better chance with a system we know, and caused good sides a lot of problems last year. I hope he’s not over thinking this.

Good points, and tbh Im in agreement. I'd rather us go there and play with an AMC player on the park from the kick off. Give them something to worry about rather than letting them ask all the questions which we may not have answers to.

I want us to be bold this season and play our game as much as possible (though we have to be careful not to go too gung-ho though obviously). Then if we stay up fantastic, if we don't then we can have no regrets.

You may be right about CW over thinking things and this is a danger as CW hasn't managed at this level so far and can over think things at times (imo). Luckily he is a very quick learner and he will adjust as necessary if plan A doesnt quite work today. Let's hope it works a treat though whatever he decides. Would be very nice to get out first point(s) on the board today.

I think that would be playing into their hands today. They are strong up front and weak at the back, we should play a number 10 and go for them.

I think that would be playing into their hands today. They are strong up front and weak at the back, we should play a number 10 and go for them.

Oh I agree as per my earlier post. I want us to have a go at them.

My earlier comment about keeping it tight until 30 to go, is more what I think CW might be thinking if Lunny plays. Might work, might not, but that wouldn't be my personal choice. Like yourself I think we should ask some of the questions by being positive.

My problem is it so much with lundstram although I don't think he was good enough for us last season I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt this time round
It's the flat 3 ,every time we play it we just don't seem to go down without a fight .average teams like forest just overrun us and walk through our midfield and we create very little

I'm hoping there's more tactically to this than just playing a flat back three as I'm.pretty sure we'll lose every time we play that way
Sorry if I seem a bit defeatist but all my optimism for the season has just been sucked out of me with the thought of how we are going to.start the season

I agree, if it is a flat 3 with Lundstram then 2 things need to happen in order for us to be successful:
1. Lundstram needs to find a performance 50-100% better than he’s ever done in a Blade’s shirt.
2. The flat 3 needs to both be solid and creative, again something that’s not really happened consistently before.
That’s my concern, because asking for both of those things seems like a huge ask.

I've just seen John Fleck crossing the road near Sunbury Tesco which is a bit of a worry, not least because he appears to have aged about 30 years.

Sometimes the majority can be correct. The majority figured that Clough couldn't play attacking football to save his life and that Adkins was a fraud. The majority knew that Guthrie was a waste of money and in recent times that Hussey and Carruthers wouldn't make it. I bowed to the majority following my support of Evans and Leonard and the majority were correct. The majority over two years just do not see what he brings to the team and that is in a period when Coutts was long gone and we had Norwood. I would love to be proved wrong. Don't think we will be.

Going to be very windy and Lundstram is the least likely midfielder to be blown over so I can see at least one positive in the selection.

I reckon there's gonna be a lot of goals in this game. Hopefully we keep it competitive. UTB

If we play a flat midfield 3 we'll ship 4 or 5 at least.

In a moment of weakness I removed one of my 2 Bournemouth strikers from my fantasy team.

I would play roughly how we did last year. Bournemouth are weak at the back. We need to ask them questions. We're not good enough to sit and defend.

I'd play

Hendo

Bash Egan JoC
Baldock Norwood Fleck Enda
Freeman
Robinson just behind
McBurnie

Subs: Sharp, McG, Moore, Lundstram, Jags, Osborn, Morrison

Anyone know of any pubs in Sheffield that might have this game on

As all away games are going to be this season it’s going to be very tough, I don’t like the look of the starting line up that’s been allegedly leaked.

I think we will score today but possibly only a consolation goal late on.

You’re believing what the pundits are saying about us then “relegation candidates”?

I think the top 6 or 8 in this league more or less pick themselves. Any of the other 12 are candidates for relegation. I think we have some things in our favour:

A set of footballers who are seeing this as a big step up in their careers and are busting a gut to prove themselves.

A team spirit not bettered anywhere.

Some very talented footballers but without the big names or egos.

A unique style of play.

A tremendous never say die work ethic.

Raucous fans who will roar them on in every game.

A manager who is tactically astute and can get the maximum out of his players.

When you look at some of the other clubs in this league there aren't many who have all those things. So I’m very confident we’ll leave the relegation dogfight to others.
Of course we're relegation favourites, we just got promoted from the championship and have purchased mostly championship players. Most promoted teams go straight back down, thats just a fact.

If you don't think we're in a relegation fight this year you're a tad deluded. Particularly if we are going with the flat 3 and Lundstram.

Then why did his removal from the first team last year coincide with our drastic improvement of form and eventual promotion. We have a fully fit squad and I find it puzzling that a player that wasn’t deemed good enough last year, is suddenly a PL starter.

Fills me with dread every time he starts...for all the reasons you state..he’s guff and Wilders blind spot, he may do it in training but when it comes to games not so much.

If we play a flat midfield 3 we'll ship 4 or 5 at least.

In a moment of weakness I removed one of my 2 Bournemouth strikers from my fantasy team.

I would play roughly how we did last year. Bournemouth are weak at the back. We need to ask them questions. We're not good enough to sit and defend.

I'd play

Hendo

Bash Egan JoC
Baldock Norwood Fleck Enda
Freeman
Robinson just behind
McBurnie

Subs: Sharp, McG, Moore, Lundstram, Jags, Osborn, Morrison

Maybe we'll play that for the last 20 minutes, then getting the winning goal.

COME ON UNITED, LETS AV IT!!!

Back
Top Bottom