30,000 average attendance

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To be fair Leeds, Newcastle and Sunderland are cities with one football team. I'm guessing if you grow up there, you support that one team.

Look at Leeds... one football team and similar population to Sheffield! Us and pigs get over 50k every home game so it makes sense.
Fair point but I still have the impression that even if successful our potential gates are not that high , which might be off-putting for investors + also explain why ground expansion is not on the cards (despite the usual "build it and they will come" advocates on here).
Whilst I feel my ST is very good value , the walk-up prices are high and if we seriously want to attract more regular fans , the club should reduce them a bit - get new folk into the habit of attending and they might soon become fans for the the future.
Anyway , I note that some fresh STs are on sale (only to Members) so perhaps some ST holders have not renewed.
The problem for the occasional attender getting a ST is having to quit the fantastic BLUT to be in a poorer seat in one of the other stands , though i suppose the reduction in price per game will compensate for a worse view of the game.

I think both Wednesday and united fans are together on this....fuck Leeds hope they stay down.
The one thing that we all agree on. Years ago I had a call from school about my lad. They’d had a visitor in from dirty Leeds and at the end they asked if there were any questions… my lad asked ‘why do we all hate Leeds scum’. Proud Dad moment and the down talking I received made it all the worthwhile.

Didn't they also average less than us in their last visit to the PL?

I don't think they have "25-50%" more fans I think they just have alot of day trippers and big matches the families come out.

You could at least try to make a bit more effort and try to not be so obvious.
Yawn.

Irrespective of who I support, do you truthfully think there are less owls in South Yorkshire than blades?

Anyway, for those who read that far, the point I was making is that the demographics are with United. Unfortunately, live football is becoming something fewer people can afford. On balance and over time, that favours the blades vs owls because of the areas we typically pull our support from.

Yawn.

Irrespective of who I support, do you truthfully think there are less owls in South Yorkshire than blades?

Anyway, for those who read that far, the point I was making is that the demographics are with United. Unfortunately, live football is becoming something fewer people can afford. On balance and over time, that favours the blades vs owls because of the areas we typically pull our support from.
You said, and I quote:

“I’d say Wednesday comfortably still have 25-50% more people identifying as owls in Sheffield than blades”

Now no serious person would make that statement. Only a Pig.

So do you truthfully believe what you’ve stated or were you having a rush of blood to the head from all the Deludomal you lot are known for taking?

Do you really think you have up to 50% more of the football fan support in Sheffield?

I mean, really??

You just make yourself look like an idiot when all the indications are it’s United who have the bigger support.

To be fair Leeds, Newcastle and Sunderland are cities with one football team. I'm guessing if you grow up there, you support that one team.

Look at Leeds... one football team and similar population to Sheffield! Us and pigs get over 50k every home game so it makes sense.
Sheffield football will always be second rate until the two clubs merge into one. Controversial and unpopular, I know, but neither team will ever challenge the top 6 consistently until it happens. If supporters of both teams are happy with a two club city yo-yo existence, then fair enough. I think I probably am but I'm not as opposed as most to the dreaded 'M word' as most.

this is an unpopular opinion i know but we should do same as wednesday by giving away fans more seats at the lane end unless its a big game theres rarely more than 1k blades in the blut and despite having a fantastic view the atmosphere is awful theres usually plenty of room in our other 3 stands to accomodate the numbers we have up there

but neither team will ever challenge the top 6 consistently until it happens
It endearing that you think this would be an option for a merged Sheffield team.

Putting aside the fact that I suspect a merged Sheffield team would be shunned by 80% of current supporters - ain`t no-one going to be challenging the top six - that ship has sailed

this is an unpopular opinion i know but we should do same as wednesday by giving away fans more seats at the lane end unless its a big game theres rarely more than 1k blades in the blut and despite having a fantastic view the atmosphere is awful theres usually plenty of room in our other 3 stands to accomodate the numbers we have up there
Blut has been 95%full untill the last few matches ,the corner Westfield corner is always sold out .

Been a cracking atmosphere in the BLUT for recent games against Wendy.
Wendy only gave us more tickets for the last game when it was clear they wouldn’t sell them. The Sept 17 game we only had the top tier.

Sheffield football will always be second rate until the two clubs merge into one. Controversial and unpopular, I know, but neither team will ever challenge the top 6 consistently until it happens. If supporters of both teams are happy with a two club city yo-yo existence, then fair enough. I think I probably am but I'm not as opposed as most to the dreaded 'M word' as most.
I think you'd find that Blade and pig fans who don't live in Sheffield, would stop coming, especially older fans who have supported one or the other team for decades.

Blut has been 95%full untill the last few matches ,the corner Westfield corner is always sold out .
no it hasnt i was in there for the burnley and forest games nowhere near 95% full my point is that theres enough empty seats around the other 3 stands to accomodate the numbers in blut and not talking about westfield corner and i also think our fans respond and create a better atmosphere when theres more away fans in the ground used to love the derby games when both sheffield clubs were allocated 5/6k tickets at both grounds

no it hasnt i was in there for the burnley and forest games nowhere near 95% full my point is that theres enough empty seats around the other 3 stands to accomodate the numbers in blut and not talking about westfield corner and i also think our fans respond and create a better atmosphere when theres more away fans in the ground used to love the derby games when both sheffield clubs were allocated 5/6k tickets at both grounds
If every one of our season ticket holders owned a crystal ball , we would have sold far fewer tickets , then we could have given the entire Bramall Lane end to away fans . Would that have kept you happy ?

Read what I put ,ok I'll point it out Burnley and forest were in the last few matches

It endearing that you think this would be an option for a merged Sheffield team.

Putting aside the fact that I suspect a merged Sheffield team would be shunned by 80% of current supporters - ain`t no-one going to be challenging the top six - that ship has sailed
A merged team would probably be about as popular as MK Dons with a similar feel to it.

It would have to start at the bottom of the pyramid as it would be too political to take on one of the existing club’s league positions would take 20 years minimum to build a following as it’s already alienated anyone from the age of maybe 15 onwards.

Also being a one club city isn’t guaranteed success. Just look at Leeds.

I don’t believe any established clubs in Europe of the standing of United or Pigs have chosen to merge.

What’s far more likely is a European super league which will hoover up support NFL style across big geographical areas so Sheffield, Leeds, Nottingham etc would become catchment areas for Man City etc.

If every one of our season ticket holders owned a crystal ball , we would have sold far fewer tickets , then we could have given the entire Bramall Lane end to away fans . Would that have kept you happy ?
opinions mate all about opinions mine obviously differ to yours lets leave it at that eh

I’m a Sheffield United supporter. I would have zero interest in supporting a different club.

Unintentional I know but we'll done on. Your first ever humorous post

I’m a Blade since 11 years old and the thought of us merging and knowing that even one of those smelly,odious,deluded,scruffy,tramps arse hole ,pig bastards would be sitting near or next to me makes my skin crawl. That’s a no from me .
Always support Sheffield United not United Sheffield

Somebody on a football WhatsApp was asking how easy it was to take his lad to the lane so they could see a PL game.

I said he’d have no bother getting a couple to which a pig fan piped up - “not selling out last day, what a disgrace”.

I know this is a bit of a wind up but I have a ST at the lane and travel away when I can. The lad saying this goes to maybe a handful of games at Swillsborough per season at best.

This is the difference in mentality - glory seeking on steroids vs a steady overall attendance.

Every Blade I know either has a season ticket or goes to as many games as work/distance from the lane allows.

They have loads ready to pile out of the woodwork but will swing between having a season ticket to happily not going for a few years.

When they drew with Norwich could hear the bloke next door shouting his head off. Why, I thought, if he’s that bothered, did he not travel just over a mile to go and see the game in person. Not like it’s hard to get a ticket.

Blades tend to find the whole thing consuming where as the usual reply from one of them is “I’m a Wednesday fan I suppose but I’ve not really been to a game for years”

They just manged to stay up on the last day of the season in La Liga, while we're on our way down from the pub league, so they're bound to start getting a bit giddy now.

They just manged to stay up on the last day of the season in La Liga, while we're on our way down from the pub league, so they're bound to start getting a bit giddy now.
yeah their unbelievable seems their all getting the great escape tattoo now its laughable really hope we stuff em twice next season what an amazing achievment finishing 20th in the championship

The support for football in Sheffield is still absolutely amazing, when you consider that Wendy’s haven’t had a team anywhere near the Premier league for almost quarter of a century, and our brief flirtations with the top flight have usually ended up in utter humiliation and bitterness. Yes, the pigs can grow their crowds exponentially for the big occasions, but our crowds over the years have become more and more consistent by comparison. Yes, you’d expect one city clubs like Leeds, Newcastle and Sunderland to achieve bigger crowds than the Sheffield clubs because of the catchment areas they command. But if you cut Sheffield in half both clubs attendances compare pretty favourably to clubs like Forest, Derby, Leicester, Ipswich, Norwich, Wolves, Southampton, Blackburn and Boro. Each of these clubs have either won prestigious trophies in living memory or have spent longer sustained periods in the top division. These are the things that build fanbases, of which the city of Sheffield has had very slim pickings.

Fair point but I still have the impression that even if successful our potential gates are not that high , which might be off-putting for investors + also explain why ground expansion is not on the cards (despite the usual "build it and they will come" advocates on here).
Whilst I feel my ST is very good value , the walk-up prices are high and if we seriously want to attract more regular fans , the club should reduce them a bit - get new folk into the habit of attending and they might soon become fans for the the future.
Anyway , I note that some fresh STs are on sale (only to Members) so perhaps some ST holders have not renewed.
The problem for the occasional attender getting a ST is having to quit the fantastic BLUT to be in a poorer seat in one of the other stands , though i suppose the reduction in price per game will compensate for a worse view of the game.
I agree to a certain extent, but we’ve never really had a sustained period in the Premier League to test the theory that we can’t grow our fanbase anymore than it already is. As it is now our crowds have become quite consistent and I predict the drop off next season won’t be as stark as some on here think.

I agree to a certain extent, but we’ve never really had a sustained period in the Premier League to test the theory that we can’t grow our fanbase anymore than it already is. As it is now our crowds have become quite consistent and I predict the drop off next season won’t be as stark as some on here think.
Two good factual posts there and I agree on both. 3 or 4 consecutive seasons in the premiership would have hoovered up quite a few youngsters even if some of their family are Wednesday supporters.

The grunters' highest average in the last 40 years was 29,560 in 1992. A year in which they were at their peak. They'd won a cup the year before, and were a top 10 side in the country at the time. Since 1960 they've hit their own personal hallowed 30k precisely 3 times, the most recent being 1968.

The grunters' highest average in the last 40 years was 29,560 in 1992. A year in which they were at their peak. They'd won a cup the year before, and were a top 10 side in the country at the time. Since 1960 they've hit their own personal hallowed 30k precisely 3 times, the most recent being 1968.
Football in 92 wasn’t anything like football today. Silly to compare it at all really. If we and if pigs were both established premiership clubs we would both need ground extensions I say it all time the following football in Sheffield has got pisses all or Leeds Newcastle Sunderland etc.

Back
Top Bottom