20 years ago blades at pompey

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was living in Southampton for a while in the 90s. Blades had a mid-week game one time at Fratton Park. At the end of the game, I headed back to the station with a group of Blades. For whatever reason, to do with the connections, Blades were all on one side of the track, including me, even though I was heading to Southampton and the Pompey lot, all on the otherside. A train pulled up, dunno where it was heading, maybe London....but all the Blades piled on....train pulled away and I was left all by myself facing about 30-40 pompey on the opposite track. They were raining it down 'dirty northern monkey' 'we got all the jobs' 'billy where's y mates'.....there was real sleat and bitter wind from the coast in the air......just 20 meters of bridge between me and them. Longest 30 minutes of my life.....before the next train to Southampton arrived....

Can't belive its 20 years ago next week that the blades fan ran on the pitch at fratton park at knocked the linesman unconscious. I know he got jailed and lived down south but it caused major outcry and akot of trouble after the game . I must have been to fratton park fifteen times since 80s and always dodgy as hell but Pompey weren't taking prisoners after the game. I remember jumping a taxi back to my hotel in southsea p*ssed as a fart and fell asleep and woke up next morning not even knowing the score until I bought a paper next day and the lit cane back to me. Mad mad mad scenes.

From what I heard "DerbyBlade" you didn't see much of the 90 minutes either #fellasleepontheterraceallgame ;)

Are you making an appearance at Wolverhampton? Training it that day, probably be at pubs near Derby station around midday !

They did the same to us ST but after a different game.
I was chased on foot before the game and by thugs in a car after the game.
They were still chasing our mini bus 30 miles North of Portsmouth :eek:
They kept coming along side us and swiping at the van with a crow bar.
I'd rather hoped we'd just make a quiet exit after the game....didn't help having 'Sheffield Auto Hire' on the side of the mini bus I suppose!
Lost 4-0 as well. A bad, bad day supporting the Blades that was :(

They were probably looking for the bloke the BBC kidnapped !!!

From what I heard "DerbyBlade" you didn't see much of the 90 minutes either #fellasleepontheterraceallgame ;)

Are you making an appearance at Wolverhampton? Training it that day, probably be at pubs near Derby station around midday !
. And whose fault was that I wonder ? Won't be making it to Wolverhampton pal I'm working in Leicester that week but if your in Derby Saturday night I will meet you I'm only a 20 minute walk from the station.

Try and get my number off Brett pal. I'm 50 in July and getting married but fancy a good birthday and stag do at an away pre season game with all the old lads .

Sorry meant to say get my number off Brett pal. I'm 50 in July and get married aswell but would love a birthday/stag do at a pre season away game

My first FA Cup match was at Fratton Park on 2nd January 1971. We lost 2-0. Went on the train special that went straight from Sheffield to Fratton
I've a strange memory of that train. I can still see in my mind looking from the platform at the carriage window of one compartments. Remember those carriages, with a corridor and compartments?
The window was filled with the same picture of David Munks, who was a midfield player for United at that time, repeatedly covering the whole window. In those days, inside every programme for every club up and down the country, there a free copy of another magazine called the Football Review. Most of the magazine was on cheap paper, but In the centre of the magazine there was always a full colour picture of a random Football League player. David Munks must have been the choice that Saturday.

My first FA Cup match was at Fratton Park on 2nd January 1971. We lost 2-0. Went on the train special that went straight from Sheffield to Fratton
We beat them 5=1 away later in the season on our way to promotion.
It was the 2ND season in a row we thrashed them 5-1 away.
The cup match was a damp swibb we didn't seem interested,I went by train that day it was a long boring journey on the back of a poor game.I think Ray Pointer played for them,he scored a fluke winner for Burnley at Bramall lane a few years earlier

Agree with all of that alfreton . very passionate fiercely loyal fans and city itself . A night out there is as rough as it comes but an abiding memory is the 87 game when we beat them at there's 2.1 last game of the season .they only had to beat us to win the league but lost and derby won it. Over 28_000 there with 1500 blades all penned in a little corner . Pompey fans must have invaded the pitch a dozen times that day and I'm talking half the crowd trying to get at blades fans ..it was only a moat and high fence that separated .

We beat them 5=1 away later in the season on our way to promotion.
It was the 2ND season in a row we thrashed them 5-1 away.
The cup match was a damp swibb we didn't seem interested,I went by train that day it was a long boring journey on the back of a poor game.I think Ray Pointer played for them,he scored a fluke winner for Burnley at Bramall lane a few years earlier
We won 5-1 there in Aug 1969 and Sept 1970. I was expecting us to beat them again easily! We played against them again a week after the FA Cup defeat. We won 2-0 at BDTBL in the league (Tudor and TC the scorers. It was going to be the last home game for Tudor and Hodgy)

Was that first game of the season ,Conroy had a mare ,Garner was the first player ever sent off for a professional foul ,and we went on the football special. Lets say the walk to the ground was a bit tasty.
That's the one Sitters.
It was the first match of the season for sure, but I don't remember much about it.
I spent most of the game planning my escape for when it finished!

Edit: Just checked, it was 20th of August 1982 and it was 4-1 not 4-0. I think we scored first didn't we?

Last edited:
It was a bit scary walking back to the station after the game. When the bloke jumped onto the pitch I bet no one in the ground expected what subsequently happened.

It was a very scary walk back to the station...double time with arsehole twitching....

Was at the Linesman game, and although the locals were baying for our blood during the game, I don't remember seeing any trouble afterwards. Just put my head down and walked amongst them back to where i was working at the time (i was on a lunch break :)).

Was it Shaun Derry who went in goal for us after the Tracy sending off ?

Was at the Linesman game, and although the locals were baying for our blood during the game, I don't remember seeing any trouble afterwards. Just put my head down and walked amongst them back to where i was working at the time (i was on a lunch break :)).

Was it Shaun Derry who went in goal for us after the Tracy sending off ?
Yes on his debut

Yes on his debut
You're not wrong :) - that rings a bell now. Seem to remember we had a black defender at the time who had an absolute barmstorming 2nd half to rescue a point - Earl Barrett at a guess ? (can't be arsed to check soccerbase). A nice "goal" from Lee Sandford too :D

You're not wrong :) - that rings a bell now. Seem to remember we had a black defender at the time who had an absolute barmstorming 2nd half to rescue a point - Earl Barrett at a guess ? (can't be arsed to check soccerbase). A nice "goal" from Lee Sandford too :D
Yes Earl had a short loan spell with us around that time. Wendy then signed him permanently

Been a few times to Fratton Pk over the years mixed bag of results and had more than our fair share of bollocks both down there and up here . My first visit was when we’d just won 4th Div in 82 and they were first away game great support from Blades prob 3k+ went down , we dipped 4-1 and I think a few Blades took a whacks outside before game don’t think they were too discriminating in their targets .
Next time for me was 85 went down with a load from our way this time a lot of handy lads on that trip from all over after having wised up previous trips , won 3-0 with Porterfield dads army , stopped off in Rugby on way back great day.

Unfortunately missed home game at end of season where they needed a result at ours to be in with a chance of going up,as SYP decided they’d offer a one bedroomed apartment for me at Snig Hill .
1987 as showed above , this came after the game at ours when I think their were 4 players sent off so there was obviously some niggle & when we beat em and few thousand decided to come over and offer offer away end out after we spoiled their party , some mad twats were trying to climb away end fence to get at baying mob .
One I enjoyed most was Brown’s late winner in 2003 , I was working down there at the time and it was freezing wet Jan night , good end to end game played very well and pinched with the mans late goal .
Probably a good description of the place when you call it a northern city in the south

Sorry meant to say get my number off Brett pal. I'm 50 in July and get married aswell but would love a birthday/stag do at a pre season away game

Our train back will be late on so don't think we'll get chance to drop into Derby for a drink. Congrats on your up coming wedding and commiserations on being 50 lol, yeah I'd be up for any pre-season birthday/stag do you're having pal ... a Scotland tour would be excellent!

Back
Top Bottom