Blades away games you went to that got cancelled.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

derbysufc

Reaction score
This has happened to me 3 times in my 55 years as a blade.
First was a night game at scunthorpe at the old show ground around early 80s.
We got there early on a Tuesday evening through thick fog but heard nothing on the car radio to say the game would be called off.
Parked up went to a pub and was told by the landlord the game was off.
I wasn't old enough to drive back then but the bloke who had drove was going mad, it had been called off an hour before
Luckily I'd been twice before in 81/82 plus a friendly there .
Next up was leyton orient in the fa cup I think 2009 .
Went down by train arrived in East London around 10am , had a few pints and hundreds of blades were in the boozers when the coppers came in and said the game was off due to a frozen pitch . To say blades fans were angry is an understatement.
We had booked set times home on the train and ours was due to leave London around 8pm so we searched for a game to attend.
We had a choice , I think it was Barnet v grimsby which then got called off or yet another visit to millwall who were playing crewe in the fa cup.
I was sick of visiting the den but it was our only option . It ended an entertaining 2-2 draw but the funny thing was sitting with the crewe support , fair play crewe took around 200 noisy supporters but around 50 blades boosted crewe support . At half time everywhere I looked were blades I knew on the concourse including a blades flag and crewe fans were praising blades for backing them.
Last one was Peterborough away one freezing Saturday, again we arrived very early by train and took a real ale boozer over the brewery tap or something and dozens of blades flags hung on the balcony. We were told again near kick off by coppers the game was off again passing off huge numbers of blades.
With no game to go to we had a few pints and headed home , the coppers had made the train home alcohol free but a few of us got beers on board.
I managed to get to both re arranged games but it was costly .
One other I remember thinking that's it the games off was Portsmouth away the year the blades fan ran on the pitch at pompey and knocked the linesman clean out sparko.
There was a huge delay and word was going around it could be postponed.
Anyone else had similar ?

Plymouth 1981, got as far as Taunton then heard it was off. Coach redirected to Bristol to watch City & that was off too, I think they were the only 2 games off that day!!
Gillingham 1983,football special train got to London then turned around because the game was snowed off.
Peterborough 2010 mentioned in the Op.

I was also at the ferencvaros game , I went for 5 days. The thunderstorm .funnily I'd watched the first game hin the 3 game tournament.

I've about 50 pics of the trip
Only half jour before the game the heat was intense then the storm came

Attachments

• 17044151050068905269139932347513.jpg
    17044151050068905269139932347513.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
I had corporate tickets for Pride Park once, can't remember the year. I went to pick them up from a mate who worked at Morrisons at Derby. It was pissing it down big time, by the time we got to the ground about 1.30 it had been called off.
We'd got a babysitter and didn't want to waste the opportunity as we were suited and booted so went for a meal instead.
When they replayed it I didn't fancy driving cos the roads were iced up to fook so we didn't go.

Another

Attachments

• 17044152841283851540982799481358.jpg
    17044152841283851540982799481358.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
We got there early on a Tuesday evening through thick fog but heard nothing on the car radio to say the game would be called off.
I wasn't old enough to drive back then but the bloke who had drove was going mad, it had been called off an hour before
Went down by train arrived in East London around 10am , had a few pints and hundreds of blades were in the boozers when the coppers came in and said the game was off due to a frozen pitch . To say blades fans were angry is an understatement.
We had booked set times home on the train and ours was due to leave London around 8pm so we searched for a game to attend.
We had a choice , I think it was Barnet v grimsby which then got called off or yet another visit to millwall who were playing crewe in the fa cup.
I was sick of visiting the den but it was our only option . It ended an entertaining 2-2 draw but the funny thing was sitting with the crewe support , fair play crewe took around 200 noisy supporters but around 50 blades boosted crewe support . At half time everywhere I looked were blades I knew on the concourse including a blades flag and crewe fans were praising blades for backing them.
Last one was Peterborough away one freezing Saturday, again we arrived very early by train and took a real ale boozer over the brewery tap or something and dozens of blades flags hung on the balcony. We were told again near kick off by coppers the game was off again passing off huge numbers of blades.
With no game to go to we had a few pints and headed home , the coppers had made the train home alcohol free but a few of us got beers on board.
One other I remember thinking that's it the games off was Portsmouth away the year the blades fan ran on the pitch at pompey and knocked the linesman clean out sparko.
The Old Show Ground, I went there many a time growing up a stones throw from it.

Which boozer was you in, the Parkinson Arms?

The Old Show Ground, I went there many a time growing up a stones throw from it.

Which boozer was you in, the Parkinson Arms?
Can't remember mate I was only 16 ish .
Just remember loads of terrace houses and thick fog.
I had been in 1981/82 previous when we lost plus a pr-season game mid 80s I belive was a draw.
They had a decent sized kop.

Another one I actually thought would and dhould have been called off was the f.a. cup replay at turf Moor Burnley when we won 4-2.
Was it nearly 5,000 blades and most arrived at half time.
We all got stuck on the m62 due to accident . We had hardly any support in the ground till half time and blades were wanting the game off .
When we finally arrived a blade had died near the turnstiles of heart attack .
Great result on our way to the semis but what an evil trip that was .

Early 70's Crystal Palace away. Now to me Screaming Alice is the worst ground to get to and their fans are just tossheads. I remember when the Blades coach arrived some Blades fans were calling for TC wanting the Messiah or Jesus. They went ballistic when he got off. Wow talk about celebrity status.

The game was called off due to a waterlogged pitch about 2.45 or something. Jeez we were in the ground! Ever since then detested CP and their obnoxious fans.

It didn't get cancelled but I remember loads of blades missed Burnley away fa cup replay due to an accident on motorway. We were stuck in traffic until full time and managed to turn around and go home. I recall a few blades getting out of cars and celebrating Deane's hattrick.

L lI had corporate tickets for Pride Park once, can't remember the year. I went to pick them up from a mate who worked at Morrisons at Derby. It was pissing it down big time, by the time we got to the ground about 1.30 it had been called off.
We'd got a babysitter and didn't want to waste the opportunity as we were suited and booted so went for a meal instead.
When they replayed it I didn't fancy driving cos the roads were iced up to fook so we didn't go.
Mate, I get offered free tickets through my job here in derby all the time. Nearly everyone at my work is derby, my bosses have a box there . I've been a few times but choose not too even though it's free and I live a 10 minute walk from the ground.
I go when birmingham are there as my best mate at work is a blue nose .
I saw barnsley there in the fa cup last year .
Incidently, my work is where the old baseball ground was on Osmaston Road which was the old away end.
Decent lads down here but it's a one team city and they really don't understand rivalry as nottingham is 14 mile away .

It didn't get cancelled but I remember loads of blades missed Burnley away fa cup replay due to an accident on motorway. We were stuck in traffic until full time and managed to turn around and go home. I recall a few blades getting out of cars and celebrating Deane's hattrick.
Yes mate I got in as half time whistle blew
alot of blades turned round and went home . We were stood on the old Longside terrace .
My memory wasn't the result but sat on a coach for around 5 hours instead of 1.5 hours and then knowing a blade had died at the ground .

That Orient game was a real late call off. So much so that when I arrived about 2, the players were in the ground and eventually ended up loading the coach with all the kit that was in the ground themselves. I don’t think any of us realised that there was no undersoil heating.

Two memories.
1. A Blade boarding the players coach and saying “Nah then Morgan your lot against my lot outside on that plastic pitch, goalie wag!”
2. A lady arriving in a Range Rover to pick up Paddy Kenny who didn’t return on the players coach…

Budapest for the ferencvaros game is by far the furthest I've been for a cancelled game and we had been in the stadium 45 minutes when a torrential thunderstorm called the game off much to the displeasure of around a hundred blades.
I've seen the blades in Scotland many times on tours but I got lucky the year I think it was killmarnock we were playing in a friendly and I couldn't make it but a fair few blades went up and I'm sure it got called off late in the day.

Just remembered I had booked to go to Belgium in advance going by eurostar, fairly sure we were playing genk in a friendly and that got called off costing me a fair few quid .

Tottenham and Middlesbrough in the 70's. Travelled by coach only to be told 1 hour before kick off. Furious.

Another one I actually thought would and dhould have been called off was the f.a. cup replay at turf Moor Burnley when we won 4-2.
Was it nearly 5,000 blades and most arrived at half time.
We all got stuck on the m62 due to accident . We had hardly any support in the ground till half time and blades were wanting the game off .
When we finally arrived a blade had died near the turnstiles of heart attack .
Great result on our way to the semis but what an evil trip that was .
Went to Barrow in Furness on business in the morning and drove down to Burnley from there. Long day but got to game on time and saw Deano’s hatrick in full 😊

Peterbrough away game either 2009 2010. It was the only game in the country to be cancelled due to weather, we found out when we arrived at service station. The rearranged match was an awful game on a freezing cold Tuesday night.

I had corporate tickets for Pride Park once, can't remember the year. I went to pick them up from a mate who worked at Morrisons at Derby. It was pissing it down big time, by the time we got to the ground about 1.30 it had been called off.

That's the only one where I nearly got there before it was called off.

When we beat Leeds 4-0 at Elland Road, was that a rearranged game, can anyone remember?

Don’t tell us you are going to Gillingham by boat !

Didn't get cancelled the game but I can remember back in the league 1 days, driving home from port vale to leeds and it took around 7 hours to get back to Leeds due to the snow. A journey I will never forget 😁

Back
Top Bottom