1972-73 match reports and photos (50 years ago today)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

18/11/1972

Coventry 3 (Alderson 2, MacKenzie og) Blades 0

A miserable 1st half as we were easily beaten. I was sat with my dad and Malcolm Sylvester in the main stand. During the 2nd half I had lost patience in watching the match and Malcolm was telling me to get a grip and not "give up". I remember looking at the Green Un headlines that evening "Alderson's
magic stuns the Blades" and it pissed me off even more!

View attachment 148010
View attachment 148011
View attachment 148013
View attachment 148014

View attachment 148016
View attachment 148017
View attachment 148018

Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables are in below link

Never mind the Utd defeat, what about the Amateur Cup report of Hallam losing 2-1 at Leeds Carnegie to a controversial late goal? Dodgy officials favouring Leeds again…

25/11/1972

Blades 1 (Dearden) Wolves 2 (Richards, Hibbitt)

I struggle to remember anything about this match and I dont remember watching the tv highlights of the match in the next day. Dearden's goal can be viewed from 33 mins 47 seconds in below link.

Wolveshoward.jpg

Wolveswoody.jpg
Wolvesgoal.jpg
Wolvesdearden.jpg
Wolvesbilly.jpg
Wolvesbailey.jpg
Wolvesford.jpg
Wolvesgu1.jpg
Wolvesgu2.jpg
Wolvesgu3.jpg
Wolvesmt1.jpg
Wolvesmt2.jpg
Wolvesmt3.jpg
Wolvesmca.jpg
Wolvesmorgan.jpg
Wolvessmart.jpg
Wolvesstar.jpg

From the programme

Wolvespeter.jpg
Wolveschatter.jpg

Who was TC sticking two fingers up at, after he scored the equaliser at Derby (29:00)? Could it have been Clough by any chance? You can see it as the players are congratulating him after scoring. Definitely giving someone the rods.

15/7/1972
I am on the left side of the lorry wearing my keeper jersey probably waving to my grandmother and my Uncle Ronnie (both lived on Stonelow Road) on Oakhill Road. My dad and SUFC Commercial Manager Harold Rumsey made the arrangements for a Blades themed lorry float filled with young Blades around my age to parade through the roads of Dronfield before ending up at Cliffe Park . I had forgotten that there were ads about the forthcoming Watney Cup tournament until I saw the photo a few years ago.

At Cliffe Park there was a Blades stall selling scarves, badges, souvenirs and pennants etc. My dad and two or three other parents helped out Harold Rumsey behind the stall.

Mike and Bernie Winters were at the park entertaining the crowd.

View attachment 139251
View attachment 139252
Uncle ronnie

Attachments

• download (5).jpeg
    download (5).jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 17
2/12/1972

Our match at Selhurst Park was postponed by referee Jack Taylor due to a waterlogged pitch despite that both Palace and Blades players were already in their kit in the changing room also a few thousand spectators had already paid to get into the ground.

Neither my dad or I made the trip to London probably because we didnt fancy the long trip.

9/12/1972

Blades 1 (Woodward) Manchester City (Bell)

I remember Woody's equaliser because it was unusual to see him score a tap in as he usually score screamers! Credit to him for his quick thinking anticipating that keeper Joe Corrigan would push out a shot from Dearden

Dearden shoots and the shot is saved by Corrigan
Citycorr.jpg
Woody appeared from nowhere to tap in the equaliser
Citywoody.jpg
and celebrates
Citycelebrate.jpg
The most memorable moment of the game was the sending off of Francis Lee. My dad often spoke to Ted Hemsley at the bookmakers in Jordanthorpe in the early 1970s. He told my dad that he dislikes Francis Lee and that was before this match. Near the halfway line on John Street side, the pair had got into a tussle in a chase for the ball and Ted was on the ground. The ref decided to send Lee off. To be honest I thought a booking would be the better decision and the crowd cheered as Lee made his way toward the tunnel.
Cityleeall.jpg
Citylee1.jpg
Citylee2.jpg
Citylee3.jpg
Citybell.jpg
Citydearden.jpg
Cityhoward.jpg
citygu1.jpg
citygu2.jpg
Citymthead.jpg
Citymt1.jpg
Citymt2.jpg
Citybott1.jpg

From the programme
Citypeter.jpg
Citychatter.jpg
Cityyouth.jpg
Citycard.jpg

Close friend of mine had an encounter as a dangerously young girl with Mr Winters back in the 1970s

Quite aware of the legal issues and protecting the site, but let me just say it's a good job the goofy cunt is fucking dead now.

Eeeeeeeeeee-eeeeh, etc.

pommpey
Mate sent me a video from the “ Not the Nine o’clock comedy show “
At the end there rounding up kids and throwing them into a big van and drive off with loads of kids in it
As it pulls away written on the side is The Rolf Harris TV show
I remember that fuckers painting in Sheaf valley baths

16/12/1972

Blades 2 (Woodward pen, Hockey) Leicester 0

Geoff Salmons back in the team after a long absence due to an injury 3 months earlier in a League Cup tie at Workington.

My only memory of the game is the 2nd goal scored by Trevor Hockey at the Lane End near the end of the match. Peter Shilton had blocked a shot and Hockey was quick to blast in the follow up to the roof of the net

Leic72photos (2).jpg
Hockey goal
Leic72hockey.jpg
Leic72howard.jpg
Leic72goalmouth.jpg
Leic72cross.jpg
Leic72shilts.jpg
Leic72gu1.jpg
Leic72gu2.jpg
Leic72gu3.jpg
Leic72mt1.jpg
Leic72mt2.jpg
Leic72mt3.jpg
Leic72mt3.jpg
Leic72mt4.jpg

From the programme

Leic72peter.jpg
Leic72chatter.jpg
Leic72prices.jpg

It seems bizarre that with a great Blades line up, being in the top division and not that long after our superb promotion in 71, that we could only manage just over 17,000 for a home game . That would be unthinkable today.
I remember this match and the poor attendance.
Our present day attendances are really good numbers wise but in my opinion the lesser attendees in this era were considerably more passionate than at present.

I remember this match and the poor attendance.
Our present day attendances are really good numbers wise but in my opinion the lesser attendees in this era were considerably more passionate than at present.
fully agree last saturdays atmosphere was non existent

It seems bizarre that with a great Blades line up, being in the top division and not that long after our superb promotion in 71, that we could only manage just over 17,000 for a home game . That would be unthinkable today.
The season ticket sales are one of the big differences. You are much more likely to go to a game if you have already paid for it.

23/12/1972

Spurs 2 (Chivers, Perryman) Blades 0

Didnt go. I do not remember anything about the day. I hadnt realised that the match was on "The Big Match" in the next day until the evening we played at Spurs in the League Cup semi final 1st leg on January 2015. Before the game, Spurs TV screen were showing footage of the goals scored by Chivers and Perryman.

Spurs72howard.jpg

1671752158116.png
Spurs72ref.jpeg
Spurs72guhead.jpg
Spurs72gu1.jpg
Spurs72gu2.jpg
Spurs72gu3.jpg

26/12/1972

Blades 0 Liverpool 3 (Boersma, Lawler, Heighway)

A miserable day and we got hammered by Liverpool for the second time in 3 months!

In the morning SUSC Dronfield u12s were hammered 6-0 by a team from Calver (one of the players was called Ian who was a season ticker holder at the back of BLUT with his dad and his older sister) and I was in goal for that game!

In the afternoon, I wasnt confident of our chances against Liverpool and I remember all the goals. Phil Boersma at the Kop end, Chris Lawler (a full back with a good scoring record- 41 goals in 406 games for Liverpool) and Steve Heighway (who was a boyhood Blades fan)
1672011474409.png
1672011536428.png
poolbilly.jpg
Poolclem.jpg
poolmthead.jpg
poolmt1.jpg
Poolmt2.jpg
Poolmt3.jpg
poolexpr.jpg

Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables in below link

From the programme

Poolprog.jpg
poolpeter.jpg
Poolchatter.jpg
PoolArnold.jpg

30/12/1972

Newcastle 4 (Tudor, Nattrass, MacDonald, Craig) Blades 1 (Dearden)

I was going to go to the game and my dad had agreed with John Tudor that we should meet before the game but I had flu symptoms (probably the same virus as Eddie Colquhoun and few of our players had) and it was decided that myself and my dad should not make the trip to Newcastle. We saw goals of the match on YTV in the next day. Dearden's goal can be viewed from 34 mins 15 secs in below video.

I got a letter from John Tudor in the following week or two. He apologised for scoring against us again and explained that he is being paid to do well for his club and score goals!

It was Trevor Hockey's final 1st team game for us and I dont think many of us were expecting this.

New72howard.jpg
New72gu1.jpg

New72gu2.jpg
New72gu3.jpg
Newmt1.jpg
Newmt2.jpg
Scores, scorers, line-ups and league tables are in below link

You still got the Tudor letter? I got a postcard of thanks from Gareth Taylor once, replied to my letter to him about his two goals at Stoke.
🤣

You still got the Tudor letter? I got a postcard of thanks from Gareth Taylor once, replied to my letter to him about his two goals at Stoke.
🤣
My mum may still have the letter but there are other things I want to see again but my mum has either thrown them away or has forgotten where they are

6/1/1973

Blades 3 (Dearden 2, MacKenzie) WBA 0

Cannot remember the goals but remember just before half time Mick Speight was lying in agony in the centre circle and my dad telling me "it looks like he has broken his leg". He got carried off. After the match my dad and I saw Mick standing up outside the players entrance talking to a group of people. My dad asked him about his injury, Mick said he hasnt broken his leg as it was feared at first.

Billy Dearden scores 1st goal
WBA73Billygoal1.jpg
WBA73Billy2.jpg

WBA73mac.jpg
WBA73howard.jpg
WBA73guhead.jpg
WBA73gu1.jpg
WBA73gu2.jpg
WBA73mt1.jpg
WBA73mt2.jpg
WBA73report1.jpg
WBA73report2.jpg

WBA73peter.jpg
WBA73chatter.jpg
WBA73Arnold.jpg
WBA73Keith.jpg

6/1/1973

Blades 3 (Dearden 2, MacKenzie) WBA 0

Cannot remember the goals but remember just before half time Mick Speight was lying in agony in the centre circle and my dad telling me "it looks like he has broken his leg". He got carried off. After the match my dad and I saw Mick standing up outside the players entrance talking to a group of people. My dad asked him about his injury, Mick said he hasnt broken his leg as it was feared at first.

Billy Dearden scores 1st goal
View attachment 150499
View attachment 150542

View attachment 150543
View attachment 150551
View attachment 150544
View attachment 150545
View attachment 150546
View attachment 150547
View attachment 150548
View attachment 150549
View attachment 150550

View attachment 150552
View attachment 150553
View attachment 150555
View attachment 150556
(Apologies if this has been asked before) Photos from the 60s and 70s seem to confirm the impression that Utd kicked towards the Kop in the first half more often than is the case nowadays. Is this impression correct, and if so, has there been a change in tactics by away teams, or has there been a rule change on who gets to decide?
I have no idea whether there was any proof that the away sides benefited from ‘kicking the wrong way.’

(Apologies if this has been asked before) Photos from the 60s and 70s seem to confirm the impression that Utd kicked towards the Kop in the first half more often than is the case nowadays. Is this impression correct, and if so, has there been a change in tactics by away teams, or has there been a rule change on who gets to decide?
I have no idea whether there was any proof that the away sides benefited from ‘kicking the wrong way.’
i think in those days hodgy if we lost the toss our opponents would always send us playing towards the kop in the first half nowadays possibly even if we lose the toss away teams prefer to kick towards their supporters on the lane end 2nd half

i think in those days hodgy if we lost the toss our opponents would always send us playing towards the kop in the first half nowadays possibly even if we lose the toss away teams prefer to kick towards their supporters on the lane end 2nd half
At least up to the early 60s(?) we could walk round past the cricket pavilion and stand behind the goal at the Lane end in the second half with our rattles and 2-4-6-8 chants, which seemed to annoy the old gits who regularly stood there more than it inspired the Blades. If only we had had the internet then, we could have started a thread about having them removed elsewhere😂. We all end up being old gits…

1970-71 (21 league & 1 cup game) we attacked the Kop 16 times in the 1st half and 6 times towards BL end (QPR,Bolton,Charlton, Blackburn, Norwich and Watford). Am not saying that Colquhoun won the toss only 6 times at the most if he was intending to choose attacking the BL End in the 1st half if he won the toss as I do not remember if we took the kick off for most of the matches!

1971-72 (21 league & 4 cup games) we attacked the Kop 17 times in the 1st half and 8 times towards BL end (Liverpool, Coventry, Wolves, Cardiff, Man C, Everton, Newcastle and Palace)

1972-73 (21 league & 3 cup games) we attacked the Kop 15 times in the 1st half and 5 times towards BL end (Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool and Man C) but cannot remember which half in 4 games (Charlton LC Cup 1st match, WBA, Birmingham (I was in bed with flu) and Palace)

1970-71 (21 league & 1 cup game) we attacked the Kop 16 times in the 1st half and 6 times towards BL end (QPR,Bolton,Charlton, Blackburn, Norwich and Watford). Am not saying that Colquhoun won the toss only 6 times at the most if he was intending to choose attacking the BL End in the 1st half if he won the toss as I do not remember if we took the kick off for most of the matches!

1971-72 (21 league & 4 cup games) we attacked the Kop 17 times in the 1st half and 8 times towards BL end (Liverpool, Coventry, Wolves, Cardiff, Man C, Everton, Newcastle and Palace)

1972-73 (21 league & 3 cup games) we attacked the Kop 15 times in the 1st half and 5 times towards BL end (Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool and Man C) but cannot remember which half in 4 games (Charlton LC Cup 1st match, WBA, Birmingham (I was in bed with flu) and Palace)
amazing stats silent where do you get em all from lol and yes hodgy we did all use to walk round to lane end if we were kicking that way 2nd half was a few clashes under the old cricket pavilion in the 60s leeds tried coming round the other way twice in 70 and 71 and came unstuck both times

13/1/1973

FA Cup 3rd round

Watford 0 Blades 1 (Eddy)

I didnt go to the game because I was with my school class watching the Pinocchio show at the Crucible theatre.

After the show , my dad picked me up and told me that we won with a Keith Eddy goal. I was thinking that the Watford fans must have felt the same as I did when John Tudor scored against us.

Watford73progreport.png
Watford73howard.jpg
Watford73gu1.jpg
Watford73gu2.jpg
Watford73gu3.jpg
Watford73mt1.jpg
Watford73mt2.jpg
Watford73hockey.jpg

13/1/1973

FA Cup 3rd round

Watford 0 Blades 1 (Eddy)

I didnt go to the game because I was with my school class watching the Pinocchio show at the Crucible theatre.

After the show , my dad picked me up and told me that we won with a Keith Eddy goal. I was thinking that the Watford fans must have felt the same as I did when John Tudor scored against us.

View attachment 150947
View attachment 150948
View attachment 150949
View attachment 150950
View attachment 150951
View attachment 150952
View attachment 150953
View attachment 150954
Was that the start of the chant, "Sit down Pinocchio"?

That is cruelty to children, though; making them watch Pinocchio when there's good football to be had!

Back
Top Bottom