1972-73 match reports and photos (50 years ago today)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

20/1/1973

Southampton 1 (Davies) Blades 1 (Dearden)

Didnt go to the match but I remember being outside on my road playing in the snow and I had spotted through the window and lace curtains of a house that Grandstand results service had just been on so I walked across the front garden to have a closer look through the window to see that we had drawn 1-1.

Saints73photo.png
Saints73howard.jpg
Saints73gu1.jpg
Saints73gu2.jpg
Saints73mt1.jpg
Saints73mt2.jpg

Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables are in below link

EngvWal.jpg
I remember watching the highlights on BBC Sportsnight finding it strange to see Hockey, now a Blades reserve, play a part in spoiling England's chances of getting a win in a vital World Cup qualifier.

View attachment 151956
I remember watching the highlights on BBC Sportsnight finding it strange to see Hockey, now a Blades reserve, play a part in spoiling England's chances of getting a win in a vital World Cup qualifier.

thanks for the reply to the question i asked you silent maybe other old time blades might help me with this one went to leeds road on boxing day 69 we lost 2 - 1 to udders and i remember their cowshed behind goal being rammed with 4/5k united fans udders fan on facebook saying there were no blades on that end that day i know we were lol

thanks for the reply to the question i asked you silent maybe other old time blades might help me with this one went to leeds road on boxing day 69 we lost 2 - 1 to udders and i remember their cowshed behind goal being rammed with 4/5k united fans udders fan on facebook saying there were no blades on that end that day i know we were lol
Bob Socks

Was Wales' no.2 Rodrigues playing for 'that lot' at the time or at Southampton.

Or was it a totally different Rodrigues ?

Was Wales' no.2 Rodrigues playing for 'that lot' at the time or at Southampton.

Or was it a totally different Rodrigues ?
Wendy player from 1970 to 1975. I remember seeing a photo of him looking glum leaving the field after relegation was confirmed for Wendy in 1975 and a photo of him lifting the FA Cup for Saints a year later

27/1/1973

Blades 2 (Dearden, Woodward) Norwich 0

The second goal was the only memorable moment of the match for me. A corner taken by Woody had gone straight into the net and then the Norwich keeper, Kevin Keelan, had a bit of a scuffle with John Flynn before running towards the ref protesting that the goal shouldnt be allowed to stand. Many in the crowd werent sure if the goal was to be credited to Woody or Flynn and there was a bit of a debate about it during half time.

Dearden (hidden by Norwich's number 2) about to score the first goal

Norwich73billy.jpg
Woody scores the 2nd direct from a corner.
Norwich73flynn.jpg
Norwich73woody.jpg
Norwich73Keelan.jpg
Norwich73header.jpg
Norwich73tc.jpg
Norwich73butler.jpg
Norwich73guphoto.jpg
Norwich73photo.jpg
Norwich73guhoward.jpg
Norwich73gu1.jpg
Norwich73gu2.jpg
Norwich73burns.jpg
Norwich73mt1.jpg
Norwich73mt2.jpg

From the programme
Norwich73peter.jpg
Norwich73chatter.jpg
Norwich73sec.jpg
Norwich73camm.jpg

Either towards the end of January or at the end of January 1973 I took the entrance examination for the chance go to either Mary Hare Grammar school for the deaf (near Newbury) or to Burwood Park Technical school for the deaf (Walton on Thames). The exam was taken at the headmaster's office in Maud Maxfield school. Two of my classmates took the exam at the same time too.

About two years earlier I first heard about the possibility that I may gain scholarship to go to a boarding school. My dad was keen on me achieving the scholarship but my mum wasnt as keen as it meant I would be away from home most of the time. I was having a happy childhood, happy at Maud Maxfield school although I found the schoolwork quite easy, had friends in my area despite that I didnt go to the same school as them. I was still enjoying going to the Lane and going to most of the away games. I had in my mind since 1971 that if I gained scholarship I would be going to a completely different environment, not seeing my family and friends at home much during my time at school also missing a lot of Blades matches!

3/2/1973

FA Cup 4th round

Carlisle 2 (Martin, Delgado) Blades 1

My dad and I along with Dad's friend Clive travelled to Carlisle in the Football train special. There were lovely scenery to view through the window during the journey especially going through the Settle area.

On arriving at Carlisle train station, my dad decided that we walk to the ground. I was very surprised as we got near the ground, we had to walk through a big field to get to the ground. My visit to Brunton Park that day is the only time I have been there and I dont know if you still have to cross the big field to get to the ground if you are walking from the rail station?

Outside the players entrance I was surprised to see Chris Balderstone helping out with moving the kit luggage to go inside the players entrance. I always thought only backroom staff do this but not a seasoned first teamer.

Before the kick off we got disappointing news that Woody was ruled out from playing in the match and his replacement being Ian Holmes.

We were poor in the first half and deserved to go behind after Balderstone received a short corner to cross for Martin to head in the lead from the back post.

Dearden's equaliser in the 2nd half was a relief and we thought that we will get a replay at the Lane and would do better in that match but Bob Delgado (later played for Rotherham) scored the winner after a scramble and the ball slowly travelled towards the net. It was a bitter defeat as the FA Cup was a bigger dream for us to win rather than the league. I remember my dad criticising Ian Holmes after the match which I thought was unfair as it wasnt Holmes' fault that Woody wasnt able to play!

In the below photo (taken in the 1970s), you can see the fields surrounding the ground. Not sure which field I crossed that day.

Carlisleaerial.jpg
Carlislewoody.jpg
Carlislehoward.jpg
Carlislegu1.jpg
Carlislegu2.jpg
Carlislegu3.jpg
Carlislemt1.jpg
Carlislemt2.jpg

10/2/1973

Chelsea 4 (Garland 2, Garner 2) Blades 2 (Hemsley, Dearden)

Me, my dad and Freddie Moore (My dad's friend) were on our way to Chelsea but my dad's car broke down on the M1 near Leicester. We waited ages for the AA recovery services. When my car eventually got repaired, there was no time for us to go to Chelsea for the match so we went to watch Leicester v Leeds instead. For years I hadnt realised that Leicester wore the all white kit for their home games as I had forgotten all about it until recently. Alan Birchenall scored both goals in Leicester's 2-0 win. My first visit to Stamford Bridge was 17 years later in Sept 1990.

LvL1.jpg
LvL2.jpg

Chel73woody.png
Chel73TC.png
Chel73garner.jpg
Any of you remember seeing Dave Staniforth running the line?
Chel73lines.jpg
Chel73howard1.jpg
Chel73howard2.jpg
Chel73gu1.jpg
Chel73gu2.jpg
Chel73gu3.jpg
Chel73mt1.jpg
Chel73mt2.jpg
More match reports from the excellent Bounder Friardale website

Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables in below link

17/2/1973

Blades 0 Birmingham 1 (Francis)

I didnt go to the match as I was in bed with flu again! My dad went to the game and said it wasnt a good game.

Brum73fight.jpg
Brum73eddie.jpg

Brum73salmons.jpg
Brum73speight.png
Brum73tc.jpg
Brum73tcshot.jpg
Brum73howard.jpg
Brum73gu1.jpg
Brum73gu2.jpg
Brum73gu3.jpg
Brum73mthead.jpg
Brum73mt1.jpg
Brum73mt2.jpg
Brum73mt3.jpg
Brum73morgan.jpg
Brum73smart.jpg

From the programme
Brum73peter.jpg
Brum73chatter.jpg
Brum73og.jpg
Brum73ll.jpg

24/2/1973

Leicester 0 Blades 0

The only two memories of the match I had was that it was Jim Bone's debut and I was thinking that it was my 5th visit to Filbert Street in less than 3 years. Earlier in the week I learned that had passed my entrance examination and I was being invited to an interview at Burwood Park Technical School at Walton on Thames on 27th February. I had thought my chances of going to Mary Hare Grammar school near Newbury "had gone" so I was probably thinking more of my trip to London in a few days time than the match. I didnt even remember Leicester's all white kit.

Leic73merc1.png
Leic73merc2.png
Leic73howard.jpg
Leic73guhead.jpg
Leic73gu1.jpg
Leic73gu2.jpg
Leic73mthead.jpg
Leic73mt1.jpg
Leic73mt2.jpg
Leic73TCnosale.jpg
Scores, scores, line ups and league tables are in below link

3/3/1973

Arsenal 3 (George 2, Ball) Blades 2 (Woodward, Bone)

My dad and I went on the Leagueliner train (see link below) with Stan Stratford and Mr Bilner (who was from Rhodesia and then lived in Dronfield before having a family)

My dad and I were sat in the East Stand. Blades took the lead after Woody blasted in a close range shot despite Bob Wilson getting a hand to it. I jumped up cheering but felt strange as there seemed no one else joining in.

Just before half time, Charlie George equalised with a powerful shot.

Midway in the 2nd half Jim Bone broke through and executed a delightful chip over Bob Wilson to restore our lead. This time my dad joined me in celebrating!

Arse73bone.jpg

Dont remember George's 2nd equaliser but remember the prat Alan Ball's winner. He appeared from nowhere to fire in a low pass .

Going back home in the Leagueliner the fans had a great time mingling with the first team players and I kept walking up and down the aisle to look and gawp at what the players are doing. Saw a glamorous woman sitting behind my seat to have a chat with Eddie Colquhoun and Alan Woodward and all were having a cigarette. My dad told me to stop being nosy!

Arse73eddy.jpg

Arse73howard.jpg
Arse73guhead.jpg
Arse73gu1.jpg
Arse73gu2.jpg
Arse73mthead.jpg
Arse73mt1.jpg
Arse73mt2.jpg
Arse73tcrumours.jpg

6/3/1973

We sign Terry Nicholl from Crewe.

I think in the same week we sold Alan Warboys to Bristol Rovers

Nicholl.jpg

10/3/1973

Blades 0 West Ham 0

Before the match I got into the BLUT on my own as my dad went to the bookies. As soon as I sat down, I started to read the match programme and was surprised to see my face in the centre pages! I had accidently did a photobomb the previous week in the Leagueliner train as I was pushing myself through as I kept walking up and down the aisle!

photo.jpg

As soon as my dad got in the BLUT just before the kick off I showed him the photo and he was surprised too!

Early in the game, attacking the Lane End, we were awarded a penalty (highlights of the match were shown on YTV). Woody placed his effort that was saved by Bobby Ferguson but the ref ordered a retake. In the retaken penalty, Woody decided to blast it to the middle but the ball ricocheted off Ferguson's legs and the ball shot up high in the air (I was sat in the BLUT and the ball reached higher than where I was sat) before it went back down to the goalmouth and cleared away

Hammers73guphotos.jpg

Hammers73woodypen.jpg
Hammers73Billy.jpg
Hammers73bone.jpg
Hammers73hemsley.jpg

Hammers73tedmac.jpg
Hammers73howard.jpg
Hammers73tv.jpg
Hammers73guhead.jpg
Hammers73gu1.jpg
Hammers73gu2.jpg
Hammers73gu3.jpg
Hammers73crerand.jpg
Hammers73mthead.jpg
Hammers73mt1.jpg
Hammers73North.jpg

From the match programme

Hammers73peter.jpg
Hammers73chatter.jpg
Hammers73ogorman.jpg
Hammers73JimBone.jpg

15/7/1972
I am on the left side of the lorry wearing my keeper jersey probably waving to my grandmother and my Uncle Ronnie (both lived on Stonelow Road) on Oakhill Road. My dad and SUFC Commercial Manager Harold Rumsey made the arrangements for a Blades themed lorry float filled with young Blades around my age to parade through the roads of Dronfield before ending up at Cliffe Park . I had forgotten that there were ads about the forthcoming Watney Cup tournament until I saw the photo a few years ago.

At Cliffe Park there was a Blades stall selling scarves, badges, souvenirs and pennants etc. My dad and two or three other parents helped out Harold Rumsey behind the stall.

Mike and Bernie Winters were at the park entertaining the crowd.

View attachment 139251
View attachment 139252
Do you know much about the Blades fan presence being particularly strong in Dronnie and Holmesfield?
My mother was a Holmesfield woman initially, and my uncle Philip a massive Blade, in the 1970s. Auntie Janet still a major fan of the team.
Did you know many Blades growing up in Dronnie?

Do you know much about the Blades fan presence being particularly strong in Dronnie and Holmesfield?
My mother was a Holmesfield woman initially, and my uncle Philip a massive Blade, in the 1970s. Auntie Janet still a major fan of the team.
Did you know many Blades growing up in Dronnie?
Never went to a school in Dronfield, I know familiar Dronny Blades but not as many as my uncle (Bob Socks ) and I cant think of any Blades from Holmesfield.

10/3/1973

Blades 0 West Ham 0

Before the match I got into the BLUT on my own as my dad went to the bookies. As soon as I sat down, I started to read the match programme and was surprised to see my face in the centre pages! I had accidently did a photobomb the previous week in the Leagueliner train as I was pushing myself through as I kept walking up and down the aisle!

View attachment 155477

As soon as my dad got in the BLUT just before the kick off I showed him the photo and he was surprised too!

Early in the game, attacking the Lane End, we were awarded a penalty (highlights of the match were shown on YTV). Woody placed his effort that was saved by Bobby Ferguson but the ref ordered a retake. In the retaken penalty, Woody decided to blast it to the middle but the ball ricocheted off Ferguson's legs and the ball shot up high in the air (I was sat in the BLUT and the ball reached higher than where I was sat) before it went back down to the goalmouth and cleared away

View attachment 155482

View attachment 155479
View attachment 155483
View attachment 155484
View attachment 155485

View attachment 155487
View attachment 155498
View attachment 155503
View attachment 155488
View attachment 155489
View attachment 155490
View attachment 155491
View attachment 155492
View attachment 155494
View attachment 155495
View attachment 155496

From the match programme

View attachment 155499
View attachment 155500
View attachment 155501
View attachment 155502
You will be surprised to learn that you are not the only who remembers that programme, though my reasons are not entirely noble. A friend at work was a neighbour of Frank O’Gorman, and I remember reading that item, and particularly the details on not knowing how to ask a lady in Spanish to remove her bra (all perfectly innocent, for anyone who has not read the article). Not so long afterwards, Utd signed Sabella, and I acted as unpaid interpreter for River Plate for their time in Sheffield. My motives were not entirely innocent, however; there was a clause in the transfer deal for United to play a return match in Buenos Aires, and I was scheming to get a free trip there as interpreter, the need for which was clear from that article. But then United were relegated to Division 3, River Plate didn’t want to know United any more, and the friendly was dropped. Another Baldrick-like cunning plan…

Never went to a school in Dronfield, I know familiar Dronny Blades but not as many as my uncle (Bob Socks ) and I cant think of any Blades from Holmesfield.
Loads of Blades from Dronny, also loads of Wednesday. When I was at school in the mid 60's, far more Blades than Wednesday.

13/3/1973
Crystal Palace 0 Blades 1 (Dearden)

Didnt go to the match as it was too far to go to for a midweek match but I remember my dad listening to score updates from the radio. Around 9pm he stood up and raised his hands shouting "DEARDEN!!!" which startled my mum who was doing the ironing and watching the tv 🤣

After it was confirmed that we had won we were confident that we would avoid relegation as you can see in the league table in the below link

Crystbone.jpg
Crysteddy.jpg
Cryst1.jpg
Cryst2.jpg

17/3/1973

Everton 2 (Lyons, Harper) Blades 1 (Bone)

My first time at Goodison Park! I missed the 1-0 win the previous season because I was on a holiday at Ayr. It is a ground I have always lived visiting, saw us win there 4 times in the future and I have always liked the design of the ground also it has a quite antiquated feeling!

Due to setting off home late also trying to find a parking space near the ground, my dad and I got into the ground midway in the 1st half. I remember McAlister getting injured at the feet of Mike Lyons (who played up front that day) but I dont remember Lyons scoring the opener before half time.

There was a shock early in the 2nd half. TC was sent off! He did trip John Connolly but I thought it was just a standard foul when trying to win the ball. I wasnt aware of TC receiving a booking a few minutes earlier. The sending off seemed harsh.

Soon after that we scored a stunning equaliser despite being down to 10 men and without our star player! It was a thunderous angled drive from the right by Jim Bone which drew applause by some Everton fans. It looked like we had signed a good striker. In the last 15 minutes, the bearded Joe Harper chested down a high ball and swivelled round to fire in the winner past McAlister. I got to hear about how good Harper is a year and two later as I was to have a mate who was at my boarding school and he is a Hibs fan!

TC getting the marching orders

Eve73TCoff.png
Joe Harper's winner
Everton73harper scores.png

And he celebrates
Everton73harper cele.png
Everton73howard.jpg
Everton73guhead.jpg
Everton73gu1.jpg
Everton73gu2.jpg
Everton73gu3.jpg
Everton73gu4.jpg
Eve73mthead.jpg
Eve73mt1.jpg

20/3/1973

1679297785520.png
Len ad.jpg
Blades 1 (Ford) Wendy 1 (Joicey)

There is a question I have asked quite a few Wendy fan who are knowledgeable about the club's history "Who were the five keepers between 1967 and 1973 who played for the first team that were called Peter?". They were Wicks, Springett, Grummitt, Fox and Shilton!" Peter Shilton made a guest appearance for Wendy in Len Badger's testimonial although he wasnt named in the programme line up.

Badgerback.jpg
I was stood in the BLLT that night and after the teams arrived on the pitch before the kick off, they lined up waiting for Len's grand entrance and it was an impressive one, Len trotted on the pitch holding the match ball above his head using his right hand and receiving applause from all parts of the ground.

Badgertunnel.jpg

Badgermt1.jpg
Badgermt2.jpg

A lot of past players from both Sheffield clubs in the below photo. Harry Johnson and Tommy Sampy who played for us in the 1920s, Ronnie Starling who played for Wendy in their 1935 FA Cup final win.

Badger73legends.jpg
Badgernames.jpg

From the programme

Badgerstory1.jpg
Badgerstory2.jpg
Badgerstory3.jpg
Badgerharrison.jpg
Badgerharris.jpg
Badgerwendy.jpg
Badgercentre.jpg
Badgerschool.jpg
Badgertributes1.jpg
Badgertributes1a.jpg
Badgertributes2.jpg
Badgerscrapbook.jpg

Last edited:

24/3/1973

Blades 3 (Dearden 2, Bone) Derby 1 (Davies)

A few days earlier Derby had beaten Spartak Trnava to clinch a place in the European Cup semi final (they were due to play Juventus in April). It was a big scalp for us to beat a team that could go on to win the European Cup (I did have high hopes for Derby at the time). I remember being pleased that Roger Davies was coming on as sub for Derby because I was confident that he wouldnt score against us because of the infamous miss at Chelsea earlier in the season and he had become of a "national joke of a striker! See from 1 min 50 secs in below link. Davies proved me wrong as he scored the consolation goal for Derby and he went on to be a well respected striker in the mid 1970s, he was a team mate of Alan Woodward's at Tulsa Roughnecks in 1979. I think they were good friends too.

The Billy Dearden and Jim Bone strike partnership were looking good!

1679644114325.png

1-0 Dearden
Derby73deardenheader.jpg
Derby73guphoto.jpg

2-0 Bone with a fine header
Derby73bonegoal.jpg
And he celebrates!
Derby73bone.jpg
3-0 Dearden again!
Derby73billy.jpg
Derby73boulton.jpg
Derby73gugeoff.jpg
Caption is wrong
Derby73dearden.jpg
Derby73howard.jpg
Derby73gu1.jpg
Derby73gu2.jpg
Derby73mthead.jpg
Derby73mt1.jpg
Derby73mt2.jpg
Derby73smarthead.jpg
Derby73smart.jpg

From the programme

Derby73peter.jpg
Derby73chatter.jpg
Derby73team.jpg

Back
Top Bottom