1972-73 match reports and photos (50 years ago today)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
15/7/1972
I am on the left side of the lorry wearing my keeper jersey probably waving to my grandmother and my Uncle Ronnie (both lived on Stonelow Road) on Oakhill Road. My dad and SUFC Commercial Manager Harold Rumsey made the arrangements for a Blades themed lorry float filled with young Blades around my age to parade through the roads of Dronfield before ending up at Cliffe Park . I had forgotten that there were ads about the forthcoming Watney Cup tournament until I saw the photo a few years ago.

At Cliffe Park there was a Blades stall selling scarves, badges, souvenirs and pennants etc. My dad and two or three other parents helped out Harold Rumsey behind the stall.

Mike and Bernie Winters were at the park entertaining the crowd.

gala.jpg
Dronfieldgala72.png

15/7/1972
I am on the left side of the lorry wearing my keeper jersey probably waving to my grandmother and my Uncle Ronnie (both lived on Stonelow Road) on Oakhill Road. My dad and SUFC Commercial Manager Harold Rumsey made the arrangements for a Blades themed lorry float filled with young Blades around my age to parade through the roads of Dronfield before ending up at Cliffe Park . I had forgotten that there were ads about the forthcoming Watney Cup tournament until I saw the photo a few years ago.

At Cliffe Park there was a Blades stall selling scarves, badges, souvenirs and pennants etc. My dad and two or three other parents helped out Harold Rumsey behind the stall.

View attachment 139251
View attachment 139252
Mike and Bernie - they were my favourites at the time

Never thought I'd ever see the words 'Mike and Bernie Winters' and 'entertaining' in the same sentence.
Their peak was in the years 67-72 I would say . Didn’t like it when they introduced the dog . Two good Jew lads .

Mike and Bernie - they were my favourites at the time

Close friend of mine had an encounter as a dangerously young girl with Mr Winters back in the 1970s

Quite aware of the legal issues and protecting the site, but let me just say it's a good job the goofy cunt is fucking dead now.

Eeeeeeeeeee-eeeeh, etc.

pommpey

Close friend of mine had an encounter as a dangerously young girl with Mr Winters back in the 1970s

Quite aware of the legal issues and protecting the site, but let me just say it's a good job the goofy cunt is fucking dead now.

Eeeeeeeeeee-eeeeh, etc.

pommpey
That’s awful

15/7/1972

View attachment 139251
View attachment 139252
Im picturing Sharpey at the side of the road in his Clockwork orange boiler suit waving back :D

29/7/1972

Watney Cup 1st round

Notts County 0 Blades 3 (Woodward, Currie 2)

Went to the match in Bransons coach. A nice warm day, great goal by Woody, TC scored twice in a comfortable win. Saw highlights of the match on MOTD that evening. An enjoyable day!

When I saw the goals again on BBC MOTD video of Blades goals in 1991, I realised that I had forgotten about Notts County wearing all white kit!

From 33 secs in below video

TC's 2nd goal to make it 3-0. My dad and I were sat somewhere in the stand as seen in the photo
Notts County Currie.jpg
Nottstc3.jpg
Nottsgu1.jpg
Nottsgu2.jpg
Nottsgu3.jpg
Nottsgu4.jpg
Nottsmt1.jpg
Nottsmt2.jpg

I’m sure you will appreciate that many of us are deeply disappointed that you failed to remember the fact that , in a fairly meaningless competition 50 years ago , the opposition wore an all white kit .

This falls well short of the standards we have come to expect and , in days gone by , would surely have merited a good slippering from matron . :)

2/8/1972

Watney Cup semi-final

Peterborough 0 Blades 4 (MacKenzie, Dearden, Woodward (pen), Hemsley)

Freddie Moore and Mick Maddocks travelled with us in my dad's car going to Peterborough. My dad had already said that if we win the semi final, we will go to the final only if Burnley beat Bristol Rovers in the other semi final as my dad didnt fancy driving all the way to Bristol.

My dad and I were sat in the stand opposite where the tv cameras were.

Len Badger was ruled out injured for the match and was replaced by Steve Goulding

Early in the game, Ian MacKenzie put us in front heading in a flick on from Woody's corner. Soon after TC put in a late and heavy tackle on Posh's Tommy Robson, the ref Clive Thomas then decided to send TC off. I remember clearly lipreading Thomas saying "Off!" to TC. It meant that we were down to 10 men for most of the game.

Just after half time, Bill Dearden increased our lead heading in a cross by Goulding.

Tom McAlister continued to impress in goal, I remember having a disagreement with my dad just after my dad told a Posh fan near us saying of McAlister "he is our reserve keeper", I told him that he is now our first choice keeper but my dad was adamant that John Hope would come back in the 1st team after recovering from his knee injury.

Further goals from Woody (pen) and Hemsley made sure of our path to the final.

After the game on the way back to my dad's car, my dad had overheard that 3rd division Bristol Rovers had won 2-0 at 2nd division Burnley. I was disappointed thinking that I wont be able to go to the final but in the next few days the SUSC Dronfield branch quickly arranged for a coach to go to Eastville and I was able to go to the final!

Returning home I was surprised to learn that my mum had been watching BBC highlights of the match and she said "Why did Tony have to injure this poor player?". My dad and I shrugged but my dad thinks TC will get a 3 game ban but should be available for the final.

Goals from 1 min 24 seconds

Posh1.jpg
Posh2.jpg
Posh3.jpg

5/8/1972

Watney Cup final

Bristol Rovers 0 Blades 0 (after extra time)

Bristol Rovers won 7-6 on penalties

The SUSC Dronfield branch quickly arranged with Branson's coaches that a coach would be available for the branch members to go to Eastville. My dad and I got in the coach. I thought the Watney Cup competition was going to last forever so I was hopeful of the Blades winning the cup

The guest of honour for the final was Roger Bannister and my dad was a bit excited to see him for the first time. He was explaining to me that Roger was the first runner to run a mile under 4 minutes. Roger shook hands with players from both teams.

There werent many memorable moments during the match in very warm conditions. McAlister made a good one handed save from a Rovers free kick that was taken just outside the penalty box. At the other end Woody kit a fierce free kick that hit Rovers number 9, Allen, on the midriff. Play continued despite Allen being badly winded and struggling to stand up properly and gingerly tried to carry on running.

When the ref blew for time, the game went into a penalty shoot out and it was the first time for us to go into a penalty shootout.

Rovers took the first penalty and scored like they did in the other penalties they took and it was disappointing that McAlister was nowhere near the ball! Woody took our first penalty and I think it was the only time I have seen him hit a penalty to the keeper's right. I was confused when our second penalty taker appeared from the centre circle as I hadnt recognised him at all! My dad then told me it was the new signing, Keith Eddy and I was thinking "I dont remember him coming on the field during the match, are subs allowed to take part in the penalty shoot out even if he hadnt played in the match at all?". Like Woody, he scored too.

Our third penalty taker was TC. I did think at the time "I am not confident about this as he missed his last two penalties". He did look a bit hesitant in his approach and his effort was easily saved by Dick Sheppard. My heart sank but surprisingly the ref awarded a retake and TC hit his 2nd effort firmly to make it 3-3. Bill Dearden scored our 4th, I was fearful about our 5th taker, Eddie Colquhoun, because I was thinking "his kicking is a bit wild" but his effort was the best one out of the penalties we took as he blasted it to the top corner, Stewart Scullion converted our 6th. Ted Hemsley took our 7th and his weak effort was easily saved by Sheppard who celebrated by booting the ball into the stand where my dad and I were sat in! I was heartbroken!

Ex Wendy, Don Megson is the Rovers manager holding the cup up with a Rovers player, Roger Bannister is on the far right of the photo

1659653447728.png
BristolMcA.jpg
Bristoleddie.jpg
Bristolgu1.jpg
Bristolgu2.jpg
Bristolgu3.jpg
Bristolgu4.jpg
Bristolallsop1.jpg
Bristolallsop2.jpg

5/8/1972

Watney Cup final

Bristol Rovers 0 Blades 0 (after extra time)

Bristol Rovers won 7-6 on penalties

The SUSC Dronfield branch quickly arranged with Branson's coaches that a coach would be available for the branch members to go to Eastville. My dad and I got in the coach. I thought the Watney Cup competition was going to last forever so I was hopeful of the Blades winning the cup

The guest of honour for the final was Roger Bannister and my dad was a bit excited to see him for the first time. He was explaining to me that Roger was the first runner to run a mile under 4 minutes. Roger shook hands with players from both teams.

There werent many memorable moments during the match in very warm conditions. McAlister made a good one handed save from a Rovers free kick that was taken just outside the penalty box. At the other end Woody kit a fierce free kick that hit Rovers number 9, Allen, on the midriff. Play continued despite Allen being badly winded and struggling to stand up properly and gingerly tried to carry on running.

When the ref blew for time, the game went into a penalty shoot out and it was the first time for us to go into a penalty shootout.

Rovers took the first penalty and scored like they did in the other penalties they took and it was disappointing that McAlister was nowhere near the ball! Woody took our first penalty and I think it was the only time I have seen him hit a penalty to the keeper's right. I was confused when our second penalty taker appeared from the centre circle as I hadnt recognised him at all! My dad then told me it was the new signing, Keith Eddy and I was thinking "I dont remember him coming on the field during the match, are subs allowed to take part in the penalty shoot out even if he hadnt played in the match at all?". Like Woody, he scored too.

Our third penalty taker was TC. I did think at the time "I am not confident about this as he missed his last two penalties". He did look a bit hesitant in his approach and his effort was easily saved by Dick Sheppard. My heart sank but surprisingly the ref awarded a retake and TC hit his 2nd effort firmly to make it 3-3. Bill Dearden scored our 4th, I was fearful about our 5th taker, Eddie Colquhoun, because I was thinking "his kicking is a bit wild" but his effort was the best one out of the penalties we took as he blasted it to the top corner, Stewart Scullion converted our 6th. Ted Hemsley took our 7th and his weak effort was easily saved by Sheppard who celebrated by booting the ball into the stand where my dad and I were sat in! I was heartbroken!

Ex Wendy, Don Megson is the Rovers manager holding the cup up with a Rovers player, Roger Bannister is on the far right of the photo

View attachment 141098
View attachment 141100
View attachment 141101
View attachment 141102
View attachment 141103
View attachment 141104
View attachment 141105
View attachment 141106
View attachment 141107

Glad to see that as a kid you already had an eye for detail (whether Eddy was eligible to take a penalty). McAlister’s inability to guess right on where the penalty was going was unnerving that day!
I was in the early days of fatherhood, and my memory is that after an exhausting day I sat down to watch Match of the Day (on our state-of-the-art black and white portable tv) without knowing the result. My fear of penalty shootouts dates back to that evening…

Frank Barlow leaves us for Chesterfield not long before the start of the league season

View attachment 141303

View attachment 141304
Frank Barlow shares an unusual achievement with Fred Furniss. At very different stages in their footballing journeys (Frank as a schoolboy, Fred in his 50s), they are the the only United players ever to have scored a penalty past me. I have to confess that they are the only ones ever to have taken one against me🤣

12/8/1972

Birmingham City 1 (Latchford) Blades 2 (Hockey, Woodward)

I cant remember if my dad and I travelled to the match in his car or we travelled in Branson's coach. After the game we went to Butlin's camp in Filey on a Family holiday for a week.

We stood behind the goal the Blades attacked in the 1st half.

The most memorable thing I saw when the players ran out of the tunnel just before the kick of was the sight of Keith Eddy (replacing the suspended TC) and that his shorts looked too small for him!

In the first few minutes, our defence were hesitant allowing Bob Latchford to run through and fire Birmingham into the lead. The goal can be seen from 35 seconds in below link.

I was disgusted with the way we conceded the early goal.

Every time Hockey had the ball, Brum fans booed him quite loudly and I asked my dad why they were booing him. He replied "He used to play for Birmingham!" and then couldnt really explain why so he shrugged his shoulders.

Then Hockey stunned the crowd with an equaliser by hitting a pass from the right over the stunned Paul Cooper. The headline in one of the Sunday papers in the next day was "HOCKEY SHUTS UP THE BOO BOYS"

It is unusual for me not to remember a goal scored by Woody and from reading the reports his winning strike in the 2nd half sounded good.

The match was televised by ATV but I have not seen both our goals on tv since then. Would love to see them again.

Near the end of the match during a lull in play, I noticed my dad laughing and then he said to me, " The Birmingham fans are now singing "We love Hockey"

At the final whistle I let go a cheer and my dad told me to to shush as it seemed he saw some trouble at the back of of that end which I didnt see and he didnt want the spectators near us to "know" that we are Blades.

Brumgoulding.png
McAlister pulling off a save
Brummca.png
brumguhoward.jpg
Brumgu1.jpg
Brumgu2.jpg
Brumgu3.jpg
Brumgu4.jpg
Brumallsop1.jpg
Brumallsop2.jpg
Brumallsop3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom