1972-73 match reports and photos (50 years ago today)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

7/10/1972

Blades 1 (Dearden) Arsenal 0

At last I got my plaster pot removed from my left arm but went into an anti climax feeling when the doctor told me not to play sports for a further 2 weeks :-(

Dearden's goal in the 1st half wasnt the biggest event of the match. It was Alan Ball's sending off late in the game after receiving a 2nd booking for a foul on Trevor Hockey. The Lane crowd erupted with loud cheers and Ball responded with slow handclapping to all directions of the ground.

Arsegoal.jpg

ArseBarnett.jpg

Arsegreenhead.png
ArseBaker.png
Arsegu1.png
Arsegu2.png
Arseguhoward.jpg
Arsereport.png
Arsereport2.png

Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables are in below link.

From the programme

Arsepeter.jpg
Arsechatter.jpg
ArseConn.jpg

14/10/1972

West Ham 3 (Brooking, Robson 2) Blades 1 (Taylor og)

I still remember a moment being in Bransons coach with members of SUSC (Dronfield branch) watching big Jimmy Beresford standing in the aisle having a discussion with the people in the coach and then he looks at me before saying (I think he was half joking) "Bobby Moore..... he plays like a big girl!". I nodded in agreement and said "Yes he does!", Jimmy laughed quite a bit in a shocked way at my blunt answer. For a while I had not been impressed with Moore's displays for England and I was thinking that he was "past it"

I was sat in the side stand with my dad and Uncle mick

I do not remember any of the goals in the match and the video clip below didnt really help me to remember any of the goals. One thing I remember about the match was seeing Bobby Moore panic when he was looking for someone to pass to, once he released the ball, he was looking at a team mate (dont know who) and then he was shaking his fist at him. When looking at the clip below you can see it around the 1 minute mark.

Hammers72McA.png
Hammers72guhoward.jpg
Hammers72gu1.jpg
Hammers72gu2.jpg
Hammers72gu3.jpg

Hammers72mt1.jpg
Hammers72mt2.jpg
Hammers72mt3.jpg
Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables are in below link

Last edited:
21/10/1972

Blades 0 Everton 1 (Whittle)

We all thought Ian Holmes had given us the early lead but the Everton players had protested that the linesman had put his flag up very briefly in the build up. I think the ref should have told the protesting players "It is your fault, you should have played to the whistle". Disappointment all round when the ref decided to disallow the goal. Dont know if Woody was in an offside position when the ball was played to him but it looked in the below footage, that before he put his flag down, the linesman had quickly realised that there was an Everton player already behind him. Had the goal stood then it would have been the only goal Holmes had scored for us.

I remember Steve Goulding's left footed effort that crashed against the bar but dont remember Whittle's goal. Len Badger (wearing number 8) was playing in midfield for a few games around that time because Goulding was still keeping the number 2 shirt after Badger returned to the side after an injury. It looks like Woody (number 7) was playing up front as Holmes (11) was playing on the right wing. Not sure if Alan Warboys (number 9) played up front with Woody or played behind him.

On the following Monday I remember Calendar or Look North featured a group of Scandinavian Blades attending the match and were being asked why they chose the Blades as their club etc. Maybe Bergen Blade knows one or two who were at the match.

The disallowed goal. My dad and I were in the front row in the BLUT and I was sat in the space between Kills coughs and metals adverts next to the steps leading to the gangway on the left of the photo

Evertondisallowed.jpg

Goulding's effort that hit the bar

Evertongoulding.jpg
Evertonlen.PNG
Evertoneddie.png
Evertonwarb.jpg
Evertongu1.png
Evertongu2.png
Evertonmthead.jpg
Evertonmt1.jpg
Evertonmt2.jpg
Evertonbott.png
Evertonbott2.png

From the programme

Evertonpeter.jpg
Evertonchatter.jpg
Evecharl.jpg

On the following Monday I remember Calendar or Look North featured a group of Scandinavian Blades attending the match and were being asked why they chose the Blades as their club etc. Maybe @Bergen Blade knows one or two who were at the match.
I've asked around, there are a few who've supported the Blades since the 60s, but no luck so far.

23/10/1972

League Cup 3rd round 2nd replay.

Blades 1 (Dearden) Charlton 0 AET

Although I didnt think about it at the time or thought about it until recently, I think it was the first game when I stood in the Kop!

I remember TC missing a chance at the Kop end and then flicked a V sign towards the Kop, I was surprised at the gesture but my dad was laughing before explaining that was TC's response to the Kop saying "Oh, Tony!!"

Late in extra time Billy Dearden broke away at the Lane end and fired the ball past keeper John Dunn to settle the tie but the Charlton players protested to the ref that the goal shouldnt stand (cant remember their reason) then the ref went over to the linesman to have quite a long consultation. I looked at Len Badger and Ted Hemsley, looking fed up at the delay with the decision, decided to sit down on the pitch. When the ref gave the signal to allow the goal to stand, I saw Ted kicking his legs in the air to celebrate the goal before getting up to stand.
Charlbilly.jpg
Charlmt1.jpg
Charlmt2.jpg
Charlmt3.jpg
Charlpeter.jpg
Charlchatter.jpg

Last edited:
18/10/1972

Derby 2 (Todd, O'Hare) Blades 1 (Currie)

A match I remember so well! My dad and I were sat in the same stand as where the tv cameras were. Before the game we were watching the police moving a group of Blades fans (we spotted one or two from Dronfield) to the perimeter of the pitch and making them move to a different section of the ground and they were met by a volley of spittle (spitting was quite common then) from Derby fans on the terraces and my dad showed his disgust at the Derby fans.

The first half was quite even and just before half time Colin Todd put Derby ahead with a low shot that ended up stuck at the bottom of the goal stanchion. Looking at the footage below I wonder who is the young lad on the right in below screenshot sitting with Cec Coldwell and Ian MacKenzie in the away dugout? Gary France would be my guess

1666909943468.png
TC equalised turning in a head down by Dave Staniforth after a fine corner kick taken by Woody. TC celebrated with a long "f**koff" hand signal towards a section of the crowd .

Then to our surprise the ref awarded a penalty to Derby, Derby fans siting around me and my dad were wondering the reason for the penalty award. When my dad and I were watching the tv highlights in the next day, we had realised that the ref fell for the dive by Kevin Hector.

At that time Alan Hinton had a very good penalty record and after seeing Tom McAlister failing to stop any of the 7 penalties by Bristol Rovers in the Watney Cup final, I wasnt at all confident that McAlister would save Hinton's penalty but he proved me wrong by going down well to save it but the joy was short-lived as Hector was quick enough to cross in the rebound for John O'Hare to head in the 2nd goal. So unlucky!

A few minutes later Derby were awarded another penalty despite McAlister getting to the ball before David Nish's theatrical dive over the keeper's body. My dad and I were disgusted at the decision and so were our players. The Derby fans around us agreed that it was another poor decision by the ref. Again, McAlister made a great save from Hinton's penalty and made a gesture at the ref as if he was saying "stuff your penalties up your arse!"

When I looked at the name of the ref in the match programme, I was mystified that it said "Keith Walker" and I was thinking that the ref on the pitch doesnt look the same as the Keith Walker that took charge of the Man U v Blades match in October 1971. The mystery was solved a few days later which I will reveal in this thread in a few days time.

Derby72guhoward.jpg
Derby72gu1.jpg
Derby72gu2.jpg
Derby72mt1.jpg
Derby72mt2.jpg
Derby72mt3.jpg
Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables in below link

18/10/1972

Derby 2 (Todd, O'Hare) Blades 1 (Currie)

A match I remember so well! My dad and I were sat in the same stand as where the tv cameras were. Before the game we were watching the police moving a group of Blades fans (we spotted one or two from Dronfield) to the perimeter of the pitch and making them move to a different section of the ground and they were met by a volley of spittle (spitting was quite common then) from Derby fans on the terraces and my dad showed his disgust at the Derby fans.

The first half was quite even and just before half time Colin Todd put Derby ahead with a low shot that ended up stuck at the bottom of the goal stanchion. Looking at the footage below I wonder who is the young lad on the right in below screenshot sitting with Cec Coldwell and Ian MacKenzie in the away dugout? Gary France would be my guess

View attachment 146607
TC equalised turning in a head down by Dave Staniforth after a fine corner kick taken by Woody. TC celebrated with a long "f**koff" hand signal towards a section of the crowd .

Then to our surprise the ref awarded a penalty to Derby, Derby fans siting around me and my dad were wondering the reason for the penalty award. When my dad and I were watching the tv highlights in the next day, we had realised that the ref fell for the dive by Kevin Hector.

At that time Alan Hinton had a very good penalty record and after seeing Tom McAlister failing to stop any of the 7 penalties by Bristol Rovers in the Watney Cup final, I wasnt at all confident that McAlister would save Hinton's penalty but he proved me wrong by going down well to save it but the joy was short-lived as Hector was quick enough to cross in the rebound for John O'Hare to head in the 2nd goal. So unlucky!

A few minutes later Derby were awarded another penalty despite McAlister getting to the ball before David Nish's theatrical dive over the keeper's body. My dad and I were disgusted at the decision and so were our players. The Derby fans around us agreed that it was another poor decision by the ref. Again, McAlister made a great save from Hinton's penalty and made a gesture at the ref as if he was saying "stuff your penalties up your arse!"

When I looked at the name of the ref in the match programme, I was mystified that it said "Keith Walker" and I was thinking that the ref on the pitch doesnt look the same as the Keith Walker that took charge of the Man U v Blades match in October 1971. The mystery was solved a few days later which I will reveal in this thread in a few days time.

View attachment 146608
View attachment 146609
View attachment 146610
View attachment 146611
View attachment 146612
View attachment 146613
Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables in below link

Bert and the Ecclesfield /Chapeltown unit were also in attendance.

For a couple of seasons Derby changed their programme to a newspaper. It was crap.

IMG20221028114617.jpgIMG20221028114639.jpg

The Keith Walker puzzle as you can see below. It made sense after I read in the papers in the next day that there was a change of ref after the programme was printed because Keith Walker was in the shortlist to be the new SUFC secretary

1667163469582.png

Walker1.jpg
Walker2.jpg
Walker3.jpg
Walker4.jpg

The Keith Walker puzzle as you can see below. It made sense after I read in the papers in the next day that there was a change of ref after the programme was printed because Keith Walker was in the shortlist to be the new SUFC secretary

View attachment 146845

View attachment 146846
View attachment 146847
View attachment 146848
View attachment 146849
Just trying to work out where was Len playing?.. Goulding at RB, so either left wing or more likely we moved Woody and put him there on the right.

Just trying to work out where was Len playing?.. Goulding at RB, so either left wing or more likely we moved Woody and put him there on the right.
Len got injured during the Watney Cup match at Notts County and was ruled out of action until 5 weeks later. Steve Goulding had been doing well playing at RB so when Len was fit to play again Len had a 2 month long spell playing in midfield, wearing the number 8 shirt while Goulding was keeping the number 2 shirt.

Len got injured during the Watney Cup match at Notts County and was ruled out of action until 5 weeks later. Steve Goulding had been doing well playing at RB so when Len was fit to play again Len had a 2 month long spell playing in midfield, wearing the number 8 shirt while Goulding was keeping the number 2 shirt.
Right,forgot he got injured, but missed a load of games due to us moving away that season, so don't remember seeing him in midfield.

Right,forgot he got injured, but missed a load of games due to us moving away that season, so don't remember seeing him in midfield.
Looks like we played 433, Hockey, TC and Len the midfield players, Woody, Dearden and Staniforth up front. I was no mini Bergen Blade in those days when it came to working out the formation, position of players etc. Geoff Salmons was out injured for 3 months so we missed him for the balance on the left side

31/10/1972

League Cup 4th round

Blades 1 (Hemsley) Arsenal 2 (George, Radford)

Dont remember much about the match apart from Hemsley's consolation goal at the Lane End and that a school classmate of mine went to the match with me and my dad.

Arselcdearden.png
Arselcreport.png
Arselcexpress1.png
From the programme
Arsecpeter.jpg
Arsecchatter.jpg
Are they all still following the Blades nowadays?
Arsecmiss.jpg
arsecfuture.jpg

4/11/1972

Blades 0 Stoke 0

Not much I could remember about the dull contest in dull weather conditions. Len back into his right back position after a 2 month spell playing in midfield, Steve Goulding relegated to the subs bench.

Stoke72stani.jpg
Stoke72farmer.jpg

Stoke72woody.jpg

Stoke72howard.jpg

Stoke72guhead.jpg
Stoke72gu1.jpg
Stoke72gu2.jpg
Stoke72mt1.jpg
Stoke72mt2.jpg

From the programme

Stoke72peter.jpg
Stoke72chatter.jpg
Stoke72banks.jpg
Stoke72history.jpg

4/11/1972

Blades 0 Stoke 0

Not much I could remember about the dull contest in dull weather conditions. Len back into his right back position after a 2 month spell playing in midfield, Steve Goulding relegated to the subs bench.

View attachment 147147
View attachment 147148

View attachment 147150

View attachment 147162

View attachment 147152
View attachment 147154
View attachment 147155
View attachment 147156
View attachment 147157

From the programme

View attachment 147158
View attachment 147159
View attachment 147160
View attachment 147161
The question is, where is this headscarf now? If it's not in Legends of the Lane I will be demanding my money back.

11/11/1972

Leeds 2 (Clarke 2) Blades 1 (Staniforth)

I was stood behind the goal that Allan Clarke tapped in the controversial goal after Tom McAlister got kicked in the head by Mick Bates. I was fuming that the ref allowed the goal to stand. McAlister was carried off with concussion so Woody took over as the emergency keeper for the rest of the game. I was aware that he had played in goal against Leeds a few years earlier but didnt realise that it happened on the same date too. I found it interesting that Woody had confidence in coming out for crosses and catching them cleanly also he wasnt afraid of making challenges to claim the ball. Again, Leeds failed to score a goal against Woody!

Leeds72carriedoff.jpg
Leeds72McAunc.jpg
Leeds72mcaunc2.jpg
Leeds72eddie.jpg

Leeds72howard.jpg
Leeds72guhead.jpg
Leeds72gu1.jpg
Leeds72gu2.jpg
Leeds72mthead.jpg
Leeds72mt1.jpg
Leeds72mt2.jpg

11/11/1972

I was stood behind the goal that Allan Clarke tapped in the controversial goal after Tom McAlister got kicked in the head by Mick Bates. I was fuming that the ref allowed the goal to stand. McAlister was carried off with concussion so Woody took over as the emergency keeper for the rest of the game. I was aware that he had played in goal against Leeds a few years earlier but didnt realise that it happened on the same date too. I found it interesting that Woody had confidence in coming out for crosses and catching them cleanly also he wasnt afraid of making challenges to claim the ball. Again, Leeds failed to score a goal against Woody!

View attachment 147635
View attachment 147637
View attachment 147638
View attachment 147639

View attachment 147643
View attachment 147640
View attachment 147641
View attachment 147642
View attachment 147645
View attachment 147647
View attachment 147648
Silent, I mainly remember that our reports in the Green Un were written by Tony Pritchett when I was growing up and into my teens. When did Pritchett start as our main match reporter ?

I remember this blummin game and the sense of outrage and injustice still rankles…even after 50 years.

11/11/1972

View attachment 147635
View attachment 147637
View attachment 147638
View attachment 147639

View attachment 147643
View attachment 147640
View attachment 147641
View attachment 147642
View attachment 147645
View attachment 147647
View attachment 147648
What I never understood about Woody is that he seemed a nesh player; but give him the keeper’s jersey, and he was fearless.

18/11/1972

Coventry 3 (Alderson 2, MacKenzie og) Blades 0

A miserable 1st half as we were easily beaten. I was sat with my dad and Malcolm Sylvester in the main stand. During the 2nd half I had lost patience in watching the match and Malcolm was telling me to get a grip and not "give up". I remember looking at the Green Un headlines that evening "Alderson's
magic stuns the Blades" and it pissed me off even more!

Cov72guhoward.jpg
Cov72guhead.jpg
Cov72gu1.jpg
Cov72gu2.jpg

Cov72mt1.jpg
Cov72mt2.jpg
Cov72gu3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom