1972-73 match reports and photos (50 years ago today)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

24/3/1973

Blades 3 (Dearden 2, Bone) Derby 1 (Davies)

A few days earlier Derby had beaten Spartak Trnava to clinch a place in the European Cup semi final (they were due to play Juventus in April). It was a big scalp for us to beat a team that could go on to win the European Cup (I did have high hopes for Derby at the time). I remember being pleased that Roger Davies was coming on as sub for Derby because I was confident that he wouldnt score against us because of the infamous miss at Chelsea earlier in the season and he had become of a "national joke of a striker! See from 1 min 50 secs in below link. Davies proved me wrong as he scored the consolation goal for Derby and he went on to be a well respected striker in the mid 1970s, he was a team mate of Alan Woodward's at Tulsa Roughnecks in 1979. I think they were good friends too.

The Billy Dearden and Jim Bone strike partnership were looking good!

View attachment 156540

1-0 Dearden
View attachment 156541
View attachment 156552

2-0 Bone with a fine header
View attachment 156545
And he celebrates!
View attachment 156547
3-0 Dearden again!
View attachment 156548
View attachment 156549
View attachment 156550
Caption is wrong
View attachment 156554
View attachment 156555
View attachment 156556
View attachment 156557
View attachment 156558
View attachment 156559
View attachment 156560
View attachment 156561
View attachment 156562
Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables are in below link

From the programme

View attachment 156566
View attachment 156567
View attachment 156568

I was there! On the Bramall Lane Lower Tier.

15/7/1972
I am on the left side of the lorry wearing my keeper jersey probably waving to my grandmother and my Uncle Ronnie (both lived on Stonelow Road) on Oakhill Road. My dad and SUFC Commercial Manager Harold Rumsey made the arrangements for a Blades themed lorry float filled with young Blades around my age to parade through the roads of Dronfield before ending up at Cliffe Park . I had forgotten that there were ads about the forthcoming Watney Cup tournament until I saw the photo a few years ago.

At Cliffe Park there was a Blades stall selling scarves, badges, souvenirs and pennants etc. My dad and two or three other parents helped out Harold Rumsey behind the stall.

Mike and Bernie Winters were at the park entertaining the crowd.

View attachment 139251
View attachment 139252
Stonelowe and Oakhill roads...
Spent some times up there in 78, with Liz Smith, Diane Hardisty and Debbie Bluff🙈🙈.
Booth and Fisher bus up there, from Arundel gate...
Great times..

31/3/1973

Wolves 1 (Richards) Blades 1 (Bone)

I think it was two days earlier when I had learned that I had gained scholarship to go to Mary Hare school near Newbury starting on August 21st. It was a strange feeling knowing that I would be leaving Maud Maxfield in July and that I will miss a lot of Blades matches for at least 5 seasons.

In the morning of the match a friend came to my house and I think we were playing a subbuteo match. During the match I noticed that my friend looking shocked when he looked out of the lounge window and said "John Hope!?". I wasnt expecting John so I went to the back door and there was John giving me his keeper shirt! I was gobsmacked and speechless. It was a lovely gesture by John and I wondered if it was because it was my birthday or that it was because I had won the scholarship. I thanked him and we had a short chat. For years I had kept the keeper shirt in my bedroom but sadly I no longer have the shirt.

My dad and I went to the match at Molineaux. For years I had always thought that Wolves had scored first and then Jim Bone equalised soon after but looking at the match reports this week I realised that it was the other way round!

Wolves73howard.jpg
Wolves73guhead.jpg
Wolves73gu1.jpg
Wolves73gu2.jpg
Wolves73mt1.jpg
Wolves73mt2.jpg

31/3/1973

Wolves 1 (Richards) Blades 1 (Bone)

I think it was two days earlier when I had learned that I had gained scholarship to go to Mary Hare school near Newbury starting on August 21st. It was a strange feeling knowing that I would be leaving Maud Maxfield in July and that I will miss a lot of Blades matches for at least 5 seasons.

In the morning of the match a friend came to my house and I think we were playing a subbuteo match. During the match I noticed that my friend looking shocked when he looked out of the lounge window and said "John Hope!?". I wasnt expecting John so I went to the back door and there was John giving me his keeper shirt! I was gobsmacked and speechless. It was a lovely gesture by John and I wondered if it was because it was my birthday or that it was because I had won the scholarship. I thanked him and we had a short chat. For years I had kept the keeper shirt in my bedroom but sadly I no longer have the shirt.

My dad and I went to the match at Molineaux. For years I had always thought that Wolves had scored first and then Jim Bone equalised soon after but looking at the match reports this week I realised that it was the other way round!

View attachment 156985
View attachment 156986
View attachment 156987
View attachment 156988
View attachment 156989
View attachment 156990

How times change in about 1970 my dad arranged for Ted hemsley who was a friend of his to take me round bramall lane .
Ted picked me up and on the way called and picked up John hope from Barnes avenue Dronfield where he was lodging with a family in a 3 bedroom semi while being a second division ( championship) player

How times change in about 1970 my dad arranged for Ted hemsley who was a friend of his to take me round bramall lane .
Ted picked me up and on the way called and picked up John hope from Barnes avenue Dronfield where he was lodging with a family in a 3 bedroom semi while being a second division ( championship) player
All these stories about United players calling round … I’m beginning to think I had a deprived childhood. I should have contacted Social Services 🤣

7/4/1973

Blades 2 (Dearden, Bone) Crystal Palace 0

I remember being confused a week earlier that Malcolm Allison had left high flying Man City as the manager for lowly Crystal Palace. I read somewhere recently that Allison's salary at Man City was £10,000 per year and Palace paid him £13,000 per year. Palace were always active in the transfer market as you can see in the programme notes below.

Palace73oppo.jpg
I do not remember the goals but remember being relieved that we were successful in keeping Palace dangerman, Don Rogers, quiet as I hadnt forgotten his display against us when we lost 2-1 to Swindon in February 1970. Coming home from the match I was surprised to learn that 2nd division Sunderland had beaten Arsenal 2-1 in the FA Cup semi final at S6.

Palace73hhoward.jpg
Palace73billy.jpg
Palace 73bone.jpg

Palace73corner.jpg
Palace73possee.png
Palace73whittle.png
Palace73gu1.jpg
Palace 73gu2.jpg
Palace73mthead.jpg
Palace73mt1.jpg
Palace73mt2.jpg

Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables in below link

From the programme

Palace73peter.jpg
Palace73chatter.jpg
Palace73hosp.jpg

7/4/1973

Blades 2 (Dearden, Bone) Crystal Palace 0

I remember being confused a week earlier that Malcolm Allison had left high flying Man City as the manager for lowly Crystal Palace. I read somewhere recently that Allison's salary at Man City was £10,000 per year and Palace paid him £13,000 per year. Palace were always active in the transfer market as you can see in the programme notes below.

View attachment 157442
I do not remember the goals but remember being relieved that we were successful in keeping Palace dangerman, Don Rogers, quiet as I hadnt forgotten his display against us when we lost 2-1 to Swindon in February 1970. Coming home from the match I was surprised to learn that 2nd division Sunderland had beaten Arsenal 2-1 in the FA Cup semi final at S6.

View attachment 157443
View attachment 157444
View attachment 157445

View attachment 157447
View attachment 157448
View attachment 157449
View attachment 157450
View attachment 157451
View attachment 157452
View attachment 157453
View attachment 157454

From the programme

View attachment 157455
View attachment 157456
View attachment 157457
Superb stuff

14/4/1973

Manchester City 3 (Lee pen, Bell, Marsh) Blades 1 (Salmons)

How many of you remember who was Manchester City's manager at the time? I didnt remember and reading the reports this week I realised it was Johnny Hart!

City were awarded a penalty after the ball had hit Eddie Colquhoun's arm. My dad was furious at the decision, I thought it was a clear handball and then he explained to me that the ball had hit his arm rather than he had handled it. I was still learning more football rules from my dad!

We were 2 down at half time and I feared a hammering but at the start of the 2nd half we were playing well, my dad stood up from his seat and shouted to a fellow Blade "We can pull it off!". I didnt know what he meant by this, he said "I think we can draw this match!" Soon after this Rodney Marsh scored the 3rd!

Our consolation goal was a lovely header by Geoff Salmons which amused me and my dad because a few weeks earlier at a supporters club function, Geoff told my dad that he was terrible at heading the ball! Now he is made to eat his own words as it was a great header from about 15 yards that gave the keeper no chance to save it!

1-0 Lee pen

City73Leepen.jpg

2-0 Bell

City73Bellgoal.jpg
City73howard.jpg
City73guhead.jpg
City73gu1.jpg
City73gu2.jpg
City73mthead.jpg
City73mt1.jpg
City73mt2.jpg

Last edited:
17/4/1973

County Cup semi final

Blades 4 (Branfoot og, Dearden, Bone 2) Doncaster Rovers 2 (Wignall, Elwiss)

My dad wasnt keen on going to the County Cup match so Melvyn took me and his son Mark (my friend) to the match. In the first half we stood in the Kop. Blades attacked the Kop in the first half and we raced to a 3-0 lead. During the 2nd half (after we scored the 4th goal) Melvyn asked me and Mark if we would walk over to the Lane End via the pavilion so that we would be near the goal the Blades were attacking. It was my only time I "changed ends" at the Lane. My dad told me several times that it was common for fans to "change ends" during half time but this practice was stopped in the mid 1960s after the increase in tensions and fighting when the fans crossed each other at the pavilion. As the attendance was only 2,629 I suppose the gatemen were happy to allow us three to "change ends". During the walk we were in the pavilion end when Wignall headed in Doncaster's first goal

Donny73.jpg

21/4/1973

Blades 3 (Coop og, Bone, Dearden) Coventry 1 (Barry)

I have no memory of the day but I remember the next match two days later very well! I am not even sure if I was at the match but I would have remembered the reason if I didnt go so I think it was likely I went but I should have remembered that the win guaranteed us safety from relegation, the own goal by Mick Coop should have been quite memorable. When I first watched the YTV 1968-81 video of SUFC goals that was produced in December 1993, I was surprised to see our goals from the above match because I couldnt remember that the highlights of the match was televised on YTV in the next day.

Our goals can be viewed from 34 mins 55 seconds in below link

Jim
Bone scoring the 2nd goal

Cov73bone.jpg

Billy scores the 3rd goal

Cov73billy.jpg
Cov73guphoto.jpg
Cov73guhoward.jpg
Cov73guhead.jpg
Cov73gu1.jpg
Cov73gu2.jpg
Cov73gu3.jpg
Cov73mt1.jpg
Cov73mt2.jpg
Cov73north.jpg

Scores, scorers, line-ups and league tables are in below link

From the programme

Cov73peter.jpg
Cov73chatter.jpg

23/4/1973 (Easter Monday)

Manchester United 1 (Kidd) Blades 2 (Dearden, Eddy)

It was a memorable day witnessing a legend's farewell being spoilt by the Blades who were the party poopers!

I have been a Yorkshire CCC fan since 1970 and I remember Arnie Sidebottom being a bright prospect in the mid 1970s, saw him having his arm broken by Wayne Daniel at Abbeydale in 1977 and he was one of my favourite Yorkshire players in the 1980s but it was only in the 1990s when I realised I saw him play for Man U in Bobby Charlton's farewell!

It was 18 year old Steve Faulkner's debut for us but his weak back pass to Tom McAlister early in the game allowed Brian Kidd to nip in and score the opening goal.

I was sat high up behind the goal where Bill Dearden got the equaliser and it seemed I was the only person cheering the goal!

In the 2nd half Keith Eddy hit a powerful winner from outside the box to the roof of the net.

I remember in the closing stages Man U put on pressure to get the equaliser and we made two or three off the line clearances as you can see one of them from the below video (56 mins 41 seconds)

After the game travelling through the slow moving traffic in the Branson coach (organised by SUSC Dronfield branch) it was fun giving stick to the miserable Man U fans who responded by giving us "Harvey Smiths" but I remember seeing one of the Man U fans threatening to throw a brick at our coach!

ManU73physio.png
ManU73Louis.png
ManU73Busby.png
ManU73Bobby.jpg
ManU73toss.png
ManU73chase.png
ManU73side.png
ManU73mt1.jpg
ManU73mt2.jpg

Manumirror1.jpg
ManUmirror2.jpg
Manuudal1.jpg
Manuudal2.jpg
ManUudal3.jpg
Manuudal4.jpg

28/4/1973

Ipswich 1 (Whymark) Blades 1 (Woodward pen)

Ironically I got home this afternoon from Ipswich after attending a friend's funeral yesterday. After the wake at the Golf hotel yesterday there were still a few remaining funeral attenders and my friend's family deciding to have a meal together at the same venue, I spotted Roger Osborne (scorer of the goal in the 1978 FA Cup final) sitting not too far us. I approached him and he was friendly and chatty before I left him to carry on waiting for his meal to arrive at the table. After he and his companion had finished their meal and were on their way out, he came up to me to shake my hand as we were saying our goodbyes..

Now back to the match 50 years ago, my dad always claimed that this was the match when he heard me shout a swearword for the first time and there were people around me looking at me. My dad was proud that I had become part of the football crowd and told my mum about it (I wasnt aware at the time) when we got home from Ipswich. My mum wasnt pleased! Honestly I do not remember the moment and only found out when it came up in a discussion a few months later when my dad took me to a house in Stonegravels in Chesterfield to meet a girl (who was going to start at the same boarding school as me in August) and her parents . Dont think the girl's parents were impressed! I am still in touch with this girl who now lives in the West Midlands.

I still remember both goals very well, I was stood in the side terrace. I thought we would get beaten easily when Ipswich scored very early in the game as Trevor Whymark got to the end of keeper David Best's long punt. It was a relief when Woody got an equaliser midway in the second half with a spot kick sending Best the wrong way and then we seemed more settled after that. Reading the reports it seemed that the decision for the penalty award was controversial but I do not remember the incident.

Ips73mca.jpg
IPs73vilj.png
Ips73guhead.jpg
Ips73gu1.jpg
Ips73gu2.jpg
Ips73gu3.jpgIps73gu4.jpg
Ips73mt1.jpg
Ips73mt2.jpg

2/5/1973

Blades 3 (Evans og, Dearden 2) Spurs 2 (Chivers pen, Collins)

I did my best to persuade my dad that we get in the ground early enough so that we can watch the SUSC u12s final being played on the pitch because I played for Dronfield in the same competition at Retford in June 1972 and the team lost to North Anston in the semi finals. My dad wasnt interested in watching the final and didnt like to be at the match "too early". We were late for the kick off of the main match and missed Ray Evans' own goal!

Spurs735aside.jpg

Bill Dearden's 2 goals meant that he scored 20 first division goals for the season. It was a great achievement as only 3 SUFC players since the war have scored at least 20 first division goals in a season for the club. The other two were Derek "Doc" Pace (1961-62) and Mick Jones (1965-66)

Spurs73mt1.jpg
Spurs73mt2.jpg
Spurs73morgan.jpg
League table in below link

It was Peter Howard's final contribution in his programme notes as he has been promoted to the Sports Desk manager. He received a gift from chairman Dick Wragg to mark his 13 years as the Blades Green Un and Star reporter.

Spurs73petergift.jpg

From the programme

Spurs73peter.jpg
Spurs73chatter.jpg

Spurs73seasontickets.jpg

1972-73 season appearances and goals.

League appearances

Tom McAlister

Ted Hemsley

Tony Currie
Alan Woodward

Eddie Colquhoun
Bill Dearden

Len Badger

Geoff Salmons

John Flynn

Trevor Hockey

21 (+ 1 sub)
Ian MacKenzie

Keith Eddy

Steve Goulding 15, Stewart Scullion 13 +1, Jim Bone 12, Alan Warboys 7, Mick Speight 5 +4, David Ford and Gil Reece 5 +2, Dave Staniforth 4 + 1, Steve Cammack 3, Ian Holmes 2 + 2, Alan Ogden 2 + 1, Steve Faulkner 2

League goals

Bill Dearden 20, Alan Woodward 10, Jim Bone 6, Gil Reece, Geoff Salmons and Trevor Hockey 2, Steve Cammack, Tony Currie, Keith Eddy, Ted Hemsley, Ian MacKenzie and Dave Staniforth 1. 3 own goals.

FA Cup appearances

Len Badger, Eddie Colquhoun, Tony Currie, Bill Dearden, Keith Eddy, John Flynn, Ted Hemsley, Tom McAlister and Geoff Salmons 2
Ian Holmes, Stewart Scullion, Mick Speight and Alan Woodward 1

FA Cup goals
Keith Eddy and Billy Dearden 1

League Cup appearances

Len Badger, Eddie Colquhoun, Tony Currie, Bill Dearden, John Flynn, Steve Goulding, Ted Hemsley, Tom McAlister and Alan Woodward 5
Trevor Hockey 4
David Ford, Ian Holmes and Dave Staniforth 2
Keith Eddy, Ian MacKenzie, Geoff Salmons and Mick Speight 1

Football League Cup goals

Bill Dearden 2
Alan Woodward, Tony Currie and Ted Hemsley 1

2/5/1973

Blades 3 (Evans og, Dearden 2) Spurs 2 (Chivers pen, Collins)

I did my best to persuade my dad that we get in the ground early enough so that we can watch the SUSC u12s final being played on the pitch because I played for Dronfield in the same competition at Retford in June 1972 and the team lost to North Anston in the semi finals. My dad wasnt interested in watching the final and didnt like to be at the match "too early". We were late for the kick off of the main match and missed Ray Evans' own goal!

View attachment 159542

Bill Dearden's 2 goals meant that he scored 20 first division goals for the season. It was a great achievement as only 3 SUFC players since the war have scored at least 20 first division goals in a season for the club. The other two were Derek "Doc" Pace (1961-62) and Mick Jones (1965-66)

View attachment 159543
View attachment 159544
View attachment 159545
League table in below link

It was Peter Howard's final contribution in his programme notes as he has been promoted to the Sports Desk manager. He received a gift from chairman Dick Wragg to mark his 13 years as the Blades Green Un and Star reporter.

View attachment 159546

From the programme

View attachment 159547
View attachment 159548

View attachment 159549

The song competition obviously went well.

5/5/1973

FA Cup final

Sunderland 1 (Porterfield) Leeds 0

The FA Cup final was an important day for me during the 1970s and 1980s. My Uncle Pete was the only one in our family that had a colour tv so he invited me to his place at Abney Close just like he did for the previous year FA Cup final. Both of us were rooting for 2nd division Sunderland and we celebrated Porterfield's goal like we did for the clubs we support (he was a Wendy fan!). The best moment was the double save by Jim Montgomery. When Montgomery pushed out Trevor Cherry's header we "knew" that Peter Lorimer was going to score (even Mick Jones started celebrating!) and we couldnt believe how Montgomery recovered quickly to keep out Lorimer's shot onto the bar before it was cleared away. Uncle Pete and I looked at each other in disbelief!

My man of the match was Dave Watson as he was magnificent in defence.

5/5/1973

FA Cup final

Sunderland 1 (Porterfield) Leeds 0

The FA Cup final was an important day for me during the 1970s and 1980s. My Uncle Pete was the only one in our family that had a colour tv so he invited me to his place at Abney Close just like he did for the previous year FA Cup final. Both of us were rooting for 2nd division Sunderland and we celebrated Porterfield's goal like we did for the clubs we support (he was a Wendy fan!). The best moment was the double save by Jim Montgomery. When Montgomery pushed out Trevor Cherry's header we "knew" that Peter Lorimer was going to score (even Mick Jones started celebrating!) and we couldnt believe how Montgomery recovered quickly to keep out Lorimer's shot onto the bar before it was cleared away. Uncle Pete and I looked at each other in disbelief!

My man of the match was Dave Watson as he was magnificent in defence.

i think jim montgomerys double save along with gordon banks save from pele in 1970 are the best 2 saves i have ever seen

14/4/1973

Manchester City 3 (Lee pen, Bell, Marsh) Blades 1 (Salmons)

How many of you remember who was Manchester City's manager at the time? I didnt remember and reading the reports this week I realised it was Johnny Hart!

City were awarded a penalty after the ball had hit Eddie Colquhoun's arm. My dad was furious at the decision, I thought it was a clear handball and then he explained to me that the ball had hit his arm rather than he had handled it. I was still learning more football rules from my dad!

We were 2 down at half time and I feared a hammering but at the start of the 2nd half we were playing well, my dad stood up from his seat and shouted to a fellow Blade "We can pull it off!". I didnt know what he meant by this, he said "I think we can draw this match!" Soon after this Rodney Marsh scored the 3rd!

Our consolation goal was a lovely header by Geoff Salmons which amused me and my dad because a few weeks earlier at a supporters club function, Geoff told my dad that he was terrible at heading the ball! Now he is made to eat his own words as it was a great header from about 15 yards that gave the keeper no chance to save it!

1-0 Lee pen

View attachment 157912

2-0 Bell

View attachment 157913
View attachment 157917
View attachment 157914
View attachment 157915
View attachment 157916
View attachment 157918
View attachment 157919
View attachment 157920
Just found myself reading about Johnny Hart, although only a minor name in football history an interesting figure nonetheless.

The only professional club he was ever involved with was Citeh, making him one of the few true one-club men. He played 169 times for them before retiring due to injury. He then became a member of their backroom staff and eventually Malcolm Allison's assistant.

When Allison left he became manager, but only lasted six months before resigning on medical grounds. Died not too long ago.

He was also the dad of ex-pig Paul.

6/6/1973

World Cup qualifier

Poland 2 (Banas, Lubanski) England 0

Although I watched a lot of Munich Olympics on tv in September 1972, I dont remember watching any of the football and I wasnt aware that Poland had won the football Olympics. I knew they had lost at Wales in the recent World Cup qualifier so I was confident about England getting a point, at least, in Poland. Before the match I looked at the Star to find that TC wasnt named in the starting line up, I was fuming but it made me realise that I have more passion for the Blades than for England.

I watched the match at my friend's house as he lived three doors away from me and the family had colour tv. We didnt dominate the first half as I thought we would and we were a goal down early in the game. Soon after half time Poland scored the 2nd goal after Bobby Moore's terrible mistake. I remember my friend's dad being furious with Moore for the mistake. It reminded me of Moore's mistake against West Germany in the previous year's Euro quarter finals so I thought Moore was now past his prime. I remember Alan Ball's sending off to but I wasnt clear at the time about the reason for the sending off. It was a surprise at the time that he got a straight red card.

At the end of the game I believed that the omission of TC was the reason for England's loss! :)

Back
Top Bottom