1968-69 (55 years ago) match reports and photos

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

31/8/1968

Bolton 4 (Greaves 3, Wharton) Blades 2 (Hill, Hulme og)

View attachment 169799
View attachment 169801
View attachment 169802
View attachment 169803
View attachment 169804
View attachment 169805
View attachment 169806

Wendy beat Man U 5-4

View attachment 169807

Scores, scorers and league tables in below link

I am not sure if this was the last Saturday of the 'six week holiday'.

As 13 year olds our games of football which took place all day every day were usually in Lowedges Park or at Bradway Rec. (behind the Bradway pub). On this day we decided to go up to Graves Park.

On the way back home we called in at the newsagents at Meadowhead (Norton) and asked if they knew the football scores. We were gutted that we'd lost at Bolton but everyone was talking about the match at Hillsborough.

I thought the Second division would be a walk in the park but this result made me realise this wasn't to be the case.

I notice that one of the journalists on the attached press reports was John Motson. No 'quality goal from a quality player' that day.

One final point. On this day Gary Sobers hit 6 sixes for Notts against Glamorgan.

As 13 year olds our games of football which took place all day every day were usually in Lowedges Park or at Bradway Rec. (behind the Bradway pub). On this day we decided to go up to Graves Park.

On the way back home we called in at the newsagents at Meadowhead (Norton) and asked if they knew the football scores. We were gutted that we'd lost at Bolton but everyone was talking about the match at Hillsborough.

I thought the Second division would be a walk in the park but this result made me realise this wasn't to be the case.

I notice that one of the journalists on the attached press reports was John Motson. No 'quality goal from a quality player' that day.

One final point. On this day Gary Sobers hit 6 sixes for Notts against Glamorgan.
this was our first wake up call that we were not going to walk the second division like our fans thought

Here's something totally irrelevant -

Wednesday at home to Ipswich this day 1963.
Wednesday at home to Ipswich this day 1968.
Wednesday's next home game 2023 is against Ipswich.

I remember that result coming through on the teleprinter. We were staying in a hotel in Blackpool, it was the annual weekend away, which a few years earlier coincided with the 2-2 draw with Blackpool, my first away match, which was recently in the 60 years thread.
I was brought up on the Old Greenhill estate did you ever play on the field on Greenhill Ave. In the 60’s it was always packed with kids playing football or cricket, not seen anybody on there for years. Sign of the times I suppose.

Hodgy's testimonial.

Peter Howard in the Star reported that there was 'officially' 15,604 attendance. He notes that the bad weather must have 'thinned the gate by 5,000.'

I am sure this attendance was disputed and many felt Hodgy had been ripped off with the gate receipts.

Thanks for posting that. I was not living in Sheffield at the time, and have not seen it before. What is written about him by others captures very well Hodgy as a footballer and and as a person; what he wrote captures wonderfully his love of football and everyone involved in football - even those who support Wednesday. He would have been saddened by the crowd trouble at the game; such behaviour was totally alien to him.

Hodgy's testimonial.

Peter Howard in the Star reported that there was 'officially' 15,604 attendance. He notes that the bad weather must have 'thinned the gate by 5,000.'

I am sure this attendance was disputed and many felt Hodgy had been ripped off with the gate receipts.
Years later in his interview with Gary Armstrong he said someone at the club admitted that some of the gate receipts at the Kop "went missing" that night.

Years later in his interview with Gary Armstrong he said someone at the club admitted that some of the gate receipts at the Kop "went missing" that night.
yes he said that in his autobiography think most of it went missing silent was at that testimonial and can remember trouble on the shoreham that night united fans took retribution for being ambushed in hillsborough park the previous september in a testimonial at the sty just after mick jones was sold lost 3 - 2 that night

Did John Harris sign our Legendary Tony Currie before or after Dave Powell? A very decent player Dave Powell.

14/9/1968

Blades 1 (Woodward) Oxford 2 (G.Atkinson, Shuker)

It was thanks to WalthamstowBlade when I obtained footage of the MOTD highlights of the match though ebay some years before it was downloaded on youtube.

It seemed Arthur Rowley tried an experiment playing Reece on the right wing and Woody playing in more of a striker role. Despite Woody scoring, the experiment didnt really work as Reece was nowhere as good as Woody in the right wing and couldnt cross the ball well. In the last 5 minutes of the match Woody switched to the right wing, played in two excellent crosses but it was too late. Oxford's keeper, Jim Barron, who was our assistant manager under Steve Thompson 30 years later, was in excellent form with amazing saves. Ron Atkinson was playing for Oxford, his brother Graham scored the equaliser.

Ox68barron.jpg
Ox68corner.jpg
Ox68ken.jpg
Ox68reece.jpg
Ox68gu1.jpg
Ox68gu2.jpg
Ox68gu3.jpg
Oxmt1.jpg
Oxmt2.jpg
Oxmt3.jpg
From the programme

Ox68lines1.jpg
Ox68lines2.jpg

14/9/1968

Blades 1 (Woodward) Oxford 2 (G.Atkinson, Shuker)

It was thanks to WalthamstowBlade when I obtained footage of the MOTD highlights of the match though ebay some years before it was downloaded on youtube.

It seemed Arthur Rowley tried an experiment playing Reece on the right wing and Woody playing in more of a striker role. Despite Woody scoring, the experiment didnt really work as Reece was nowhere as good as Woody in the right wing and couldnt cross the ball well. In the last 5 minutes of the match Woody switched to the right wing, played in two excellent crosses but it was too late. Oxford's keeper, Jim Barron, who was our assistant manager under Steve Thompson 30 years later, was in excellent form with amazing saves. Ron Atkinson was playing for Oxford, his brother Graham scored the equaliser.

View attachment 170958
View attachment 170959
View attachment 170960
View attachment 170961
View attachment 170962
View attachment 170963
View attachment 170964
View attachment 170965
View attachment 170966
View attachment 170967
From the programme

View attachment 170968
View attachment 170969

A day I'll never forget Silent!
My dad died suddenly that day.
As usual, I got up to do my morning paper round ( I was 15 years old), my dad, always an early riser, asked me what I wanted for breakfast when I got back. Last words I heard him speak.
When I got back (20 mins later), he was breathing his last as my frantic mum was summoning the just arriving district nurse who gave him a daily injection to combat tuberculosis he'd had for a few years.
The rest of the day was a blur and as I sat staring into space later on my mum pressed a couple of bob in my hand and told me to go to the Lane as there was nothing I could do just sitting there..
I really didn't want to go but she insisted I went so I walked down there in a daze.
First person I saw in the ground was a schoolmate who said 'where the fuck were you this morning ' (I should have been playing football for the school, obviously didn't turn up, no phone at home, couldn't inform anyone).
I just said my dad had died earlier that day and he literally shrank away from me horrified, I felt sorry for him ..
I remember nothing about the match, I was just staring at nothingness....
Walked home in a daze ...

Sad sad day....

A day I'll never forget Silent!
My dad died suddenly that day.
As usual, I got up to do my morning paper round ( I was 15 years old), my dad, always an early riser, asked me what I wanted for breakfast when I got back. Last words I heard him speak.
When I got back (20 mins later), he was breathing his last as my frantic mum was summoning the just arriving district nurse who gave him a daily injection to combat tuberculosis he'd had for a few years.
The rest of the day was a blur and as I sat staring into space later on my mum pressed a couple of bob in my hand and told me to go to the Lane as there was nothing I could do just sitting there..
I really didn't want to go but she insisted I went so I walked down there in a daze.
First person I saw in the ground was a schoolmate who said 'where the fuck were you this morning ' (I should have been playing football for the school, obviously didn't turn up, no phone at home, couldn't inform anyone).
I just said my dad had died earlier that day and he literally shrank away from me horrified, I felt sorry for him ..
I remember nothing about the match, I was just staring at nothingness....
Walked home in a daze ...

Sad sad day....

As you say - a sad, sad day. Thanks for sharing. You'll never forget your dad.

Back
Top Bottom