1968-69 (55 years ago) match reports and photos

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
It was the season before I became a Lane regular. I have no memories of the "Arthur Rowley" season, my dad didnt talk much about the season, I remember him telling me that we had lost a FA Cup match at Mansfield but I am not sure if he was at the match. I am not sure if he went to most of the home games during the season, maybe his interest had waned after relegation to the 2nd division. It was a few years later when I had read about Rowley being our manager for just one season so I asked my dad about him. He said we didnt do well under his management and the SUFC board were fed up of being obsessed with horse racing and he could be seen in the directors box during matches listening to horse racing results from his own transistor radio.

Did my dad take me to any of the matches during the season? Maybe he did? I remember looking through the club profiles in the 1968-69 Park Drive book of football (I think it belonged to my Uncle Ronnie) and we were the last in the 2nd division section because we were the last named in alphabetical order!

11/7/1968

Arthur Rowley becomes our new team manager. John Harris "moves upstairs" to be our general manager.

Rowleystarhead.jpg
Rowleystar1.jpg
Rowleystar2.jpg

Rowleymthead.jpg
Rowleymt1.jpg
Rowleymt2.jpg
Rowleyguhead.jpg
Rowleygu1.jpg
Rowleygu2.jpg
Rowleygu3.jpg

Rowleywragg.jpg
Rowleyharriswragg.jpg

It was the season before I became a Lane regular. I have no memories of the "Arthur Rowley" season, my dad didnt talk much about the season, I remember him telling me that we had lost a FA Cup match at Mansfield but I am not sure if he was at the match. I am not sure if he went to most of the home games during the season, maybe his interest had waned after relegation to the 2nd division. It was a few years later when I had read about Rowley being our manager for just one season so I asked my dad about him. He said we didnt do well under his management and the SUFC board were fed up of being obsessed with horse racing and he could be seen in the directors box during matches listening to horse racing results from his own transistor radio.

Did my dad take me to any of the matches during the season? Maybe he did? I remember looking through the club profiles in the 1968-69 Park Drive book of football (I think it belonged to my Uncle Ronnie) and we were the last in the 2nd division section because we were the last named in alphabetical order!

11/7/1968

Arthur Rowley becomes our new team manager. John Harris "moves upstairs" to be our general manager.

View attachment 164333
View attachment 164334
View attachment 164337

View attachment 164338
View attachment 164339
View attachment 164340
View attachment 164341
View attachment 164342
View attachment 164344
View attachment 164345

View attachment 164346
View attachment 164347
remember this season silent think most blades were optimistic we could get straight back to division 1 but it was largely a dissapointing season we won most home games comfortably but our away form wasnt great but it did lay the foundation for the 2 corresponding seasons leading to promotion that sunny saturday in may 71 against watford top rank was lively that night packed with drunken celebrating blades fans 🍺🍺🍺

11/7/1968

View attachment 164333
View attachment 164334
View attachment 164337

View attachment 164338
View attachment 164339
View attachment 164340
View attachment 164341
View attachment 164342
View attachment 164344
View attachment 164345

View attachment 164346
View attachment 164347
Good memories Silent. Was your Dad's initials TS ? If so I think will have known him. Long time Dronnie resident.

Summer68.jpg
Back row; Ian McKenzie. Roger Peck, Mick Heaton, Geoff Salmons, Brian Conley, Mick Harmston, Ken Hallam, Tony Wagstaff.
Middle row; Barry Wagstaff, Frank Barlow, Tony Currie, Tom Fenoughty, Brian Gough, Alan Hodgkinson, Barry Gordine, Ken Mallender, Bernard Shaw, Phil Cliff, Paddy Buckley.
Seated; Mick Hill, Alan Woodward, Willie Carlin, Colin Addison, Len Badger, David Munks, Gil Reece.
On ground; Phil Archer, Mick Williams, Mick Speight, Russell Clarke, Dave Staniforth, Stuart Hutchinson, Jimmy House, Jim Doherty, Ian Holmes

348582377_267953832360939_5894706952653154811_n (2).jpg

11/7/1968

View attachment 164333
View attachment 164334
View attachment 164337

View attachment 164338
View attachment 164339
View attachment 164340
View attachment 164341
View attachment 164342
View attachment 164344
View attachment 164345

View attachment 164346
View attachment 164347
I was 10 , this was the first season my Dad took me to matches in the new BLUT known as the BLS in those days.
Memory is hazy but I recall it was about 5 shillings for him and 2 shillings for me.
And oh , that ‘Park Drive Book of Football’ , obtained by sending in parts of Park Drive fag packets , such memories you’ve stirred there Silent 😍
In the years before he took me to the Lane , Dad used to walk me up to the old Atlas & Norfolk grounds to watch when dem Blades were away - strange how that same land is now our Shirecliffe training ground - living nearby in a piggie area was very character-building for a young Blade 😅

When I first saw the below photo in Facebook some years ago, no one seemed to know when the picture was taken so I dated it between March 1968 (after TC's debut for us) and August 1968 (Carlin left us). I think the photo was taken when we were setting off for the 2 match pre-season tour of Holland (DOS on 1st Aug and AZ67 Alkmaar on 3rd August). Each of the 15 players did play a part in the tour but we took only one goalkeeper for the trip, nowadays we take three goalkeepers for every away trip!
tour68.png

I was 10 , this was the first season my Dad took me to matches in the new BLUT known as the BLS in those days.
Memory is hazy but I recall it was about 5 shillings for him and 2 shillings for me.
And oh , that ‘Park Drive Book of Football’ , obtained by sending in parts of Park Drive fag packets , such memories you’ve stirred there Silent 😍
In the years before he took me to the Lane , Dad used to walk me up to the old Atlas & Norfolk grounds to watch when dem Blades were away - strange how that same land is now our Shirecliffe training ground - living nearby in a piggie area was very character-building for a young Blade 😅
grew up in the same area and yes it obviously was wednesday territory but lots of blades as well buses were always full going to the lane on matchdays

When I first saw the below photo in Facebook some years ago, no one seemed to know when the picture was taken so I dated it between March 1968 (after TC's debut for us) and August 1968 (Carlin left us). I think the photo was taken when we were setting off for the 2 match pre-season tour of Holland (DOS on 1st Aug and AZ67 Alkmaar on 3rd August). Each of the 15 players did play a part in the tour but we took only one goalkeeper for the trip, nowadays we take three goalkeepers for every away trip!
View attachment 166388

Who's the guy at the back in between Phil Cliff and David Munks?

I can only thnk of Frank Barlow, but not sure.

20/8/1968

Blades 2 (Addison pen, Carlin) Derby 0.

Years later Carlin said in an interview that before the above game, Derby's manager Brian Clough came up to him to say "I hear your boss doesnt fancy you!". It surprised Carlin and he wondered if Clough was trying to bribe him so he did his best for us in the game and scored a goal.

Carlin's goal, sorry for the poor quality as it was hard to capture a good picture

Derby68carlin.jpg
Derby68mt1.jpg
Derby68mt2.jpg
Scores, scorers and league tables in below link

From the programme

Derby68rowley.jpg
Derby68lines.jpg
Derby68lines2.jpg

Ticketprices1968.jpg

24/8/1968

Blades 1 (Addison) Millwall 0

Yorkshire TV was launched on July 29th 1968. The company’s televised football debut came with a match between Sheffield United and Millwall on the twenty-fourth of August 1968, a date slightly delayed by industrial action that spread out across the ITV network from London following the beginning of the new contracts. The man chosen as their first commentator was already a familiar face, but the former Tottenham Hotspur captain Danny Blanchflower ‘s shortcomings as a commentator quickly became evident and he was relieved of his duties at the end of his first season with the new company.

The match was to be Willie Carlin's last game for us and he wasnt expecting it at the time....

Milladdo.jpg
Mill68TC.jpg
Mill68howard.jpg
Mill68guhead.jpg
Mill68gu1.jpg
Mill68gu2.jpg
Mill68mt1.jpg
Mill68mt2.jpg
From the programme
Mill68lines1.jpg
Mill68lines2.jpg
Mill68yates.jpg

Forest v Leeds match was abandoned due to a fire in the main stand. No casualties.

1692858237131.png

11/7/1968

View attachment 164333
View attachment 164334
View attachment 164337

View attachment 164338
View attachment 164339
View attachment 164340
View attachment 164341
View attachment 164342
View attachment 164344
View attachment 164345

View attachment 164346
View attachment 164347
That was the feeling regarding Rowley Horseracing was his weakness. Brought one or two good players in though during his short time here.
Eddie Calghoon(spelling wrong I know 😩) and I could be wrong about Dave Powell and Ted Hemsley long time ago now so memory not 100%

24/8/1968

Blades 1 (Addison) Millwall 0

Yorkshire TV was launched on July 29th 1968. The company’s televised football debut came with a match between Sheffield United and Millwall on the twenty-fourth of August 1968, a date slightly delayed by industrial action that spread out across the ITV network from London following the beginning of the new contracts. The man chosen as their first commentator was already a familiar face, but the former Tottenham Hotspur captain Danny Blanchflower ‘s shortcomings as a commentator quickly became evident and he was relieved of his duties at the end of his first season with the new company.

The match was to be Willie Carlin's last game for us and he wasnt expecting it at the time....

View attachment 169100
View attachment 169101
View attachment 169103
View attachment 169104
View attachment 169105
View attachment 169106
View attachment 169107
View attachment 169108
From the programme
View attachment 169109
View attachment 169110
View attachment 169111

Forest v Leeds match was abandoned due to a fire in the main stand. No casualties.

View attachment 169112

remember that millwall game well silent millwall had a couple of hundred on the kop that day loads taken out with cuts millwall fans throwing razor blades and at end of game charging down john st causing mayhem first time we had seen millwall in action

remember that millwall game well silent millwall had a couple of hundred on the kop that day loads taken out with cuts millwall fans throwing razor blades and at end of game charging down john st causing mayhem first time we had seen millwall in action
As a group of 10 year-olds, we ran across the kop up to the mezzanine next to the John Street to get away from them. I remember them singing 'It's the worst fucking ground we've ever seen', presumably as it was still 3-sided in those days. My Dad told us all to be wary, as his half-brother and family lived in London and were all Millwall fans, and told him what might happen. Still, all us 10-year olds were allowed to always go on our own. Parents would be bed wetting these days letting a gang of 10 year olds out on their own all day. We also all went to Derby for the FA Cup tie defeat (0-3) a couple of years later on the train. Different days......

I think the match against Millwall was walking down John Street before kick-off. The Millwall coach was parked near the player's entrance door. as we walked past the coach. I have never seen so much goss/spit it was all over the coach. I think just about most younger supporters heading for the Kop turnstiles. I want to add mine, however, I was with my dad when I was 11 so I could not. i,m sure it was before that match. can anyone else remember that?

As a group of 10 year-olds, we ran across the kop up to the mezzanine next to the John Street to get away from them. I remember them singing 'It's the worst fucking ground we've ever seen', presumably as it was still 3-sided in those days. My Dad told us all to be wary, as his half-brother and family lived in London and were all Millwall fans, and told him what might happen. Still, all us 10-year olds were allowed to always go on our own. Parents would be bed wetting these days letting a gang of 10 year olds out on their own all day. We also all went to Derby for the FA Cup tie defeat (0-3) a couple of years later on the train. Different days......
was at the baseball ground for that 4th round tie birch for some unknown reason united sold us tickets for derby's side of the pop side about 20 of us were allowed to climb over wall to get to united fans on other side we were pelted with everything from fruit to coins lol derby tried 3 or 4 times to come over the barrier to get at our lot but came unstuck every time

26/8/1968

Willie Carlin leaves for Derby County

View attachment 169339
View attachment 169340
View attachment 169341

From the book "Be good, love Brian: Growing Up with Brian Clough"

View attachment 169342
View attachment 169343

Rowley celebrating the sale at a race meeting!

View attachment 169344

The signing of Willie Carlin by Derby County is one of the most significant signings Brian Clough would ever make. Just remember most of us had never heard of Brian Clough as a manager. Over the next few seasons things were about to change.

At the time Derby were 2nd bottom of league 2. They had lost 2 and drawn 2 of their first 4 games.

Carlin would make his debut the night after his signng in a 2-2 draw at the Baseball Ground against Hull City (who were bottom of the league).

After that with a further 37 games to play Derby only lost 3 more games and went up as champions of league 2.

They went on to further success in the First Division and Cloughie was thrust forward as a top class manager. 'The best manager England never had'

In the film 'Damned United' there's a number of scenes about how important Dave Mackay's arrival was for Derby's success. I'm sure Mackay played in all of Derby's first 5 games where they amassed 3 points. Willie Carlin was the difference.

By contrast the Blades season went in a different direction. Tomorrow I am sure Silent will be posting about our 1-0 home win against Fulham and we go top of the league. This wasn't to last and we finish up after 42 games in a disappointing 9th place.

There's discussions on here so often about the day Deane and Fjortoft left on the same day. The sale of Willie Carlin is in the same bracket.

Rowley talks about spending big. Tomorrow we'll find out how we signed Graeme Crawford a goalkeeper for £10,000. Rowley, Adkins, Jokanovic - experiments that never worked. On each occassion we go back to one of our own or the tried and trusted.

Let's learn from that.

Rowley talks about spending big. Tomorrow we'll find out how we signed Graeme Crawford a goalkeeper for £10,000. Rowley, Adkins, Jokanovic - experiments that never worked. On each occassion we go back to one of our own or the tried and trusted.

Let's learn from that.
It was difficult to pinpoint the date Crawford joined us because he came to us and then was sent back to Scotland due to an injury and then came back to us permanently in November. It was hard to find the news report of his signing.

Craw.jpg

The signing of Willie Carlin by Derby County is one of the most significant signings Brian Clough would ever make. Just remember most of us had never heard of Brian Clough as a manager. Over the next few seasons things were about to change.

At the time Derby were 2nd bottom of league 2. They had lost 2 and drawn 2 of their first 4 games.

Carlin would make his debut the night after his signng in a 2-2 draw at the Baseball Ground against Hull City (who were bottom of the league).

After that with a further 37 games to play Derby only lost 3 more games and went up as champions of league 2.

They went on to further success in the First Division and Cloughie was thrust forward as a top class manager. 'The best manager England never had'

In the film 'Damned United' there's a number of scenes about how important Dave Mackay's arrival was for Derby's success. I'm sure Mackay played in all of Derby's first 5 games where they amassed 3 points. Willie Carlin was the difference.

By contrast the Blades season went in a different direction. Tomorrow I am sure Silent will be posting about our 1-0 home win against Fulham and we go top of the league. This wasn't to last and we finish up after 42 games in a disappointing 9th place.

There's discussions on here so often about the day Deane and Fjortoft left on the same day. The sale of Willie Carlin is in the same bracket.

Let's learn from that.
IMG_0599.jpegIMG_0598.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom