1968-69 (55 years ago) match reports and photos

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

30/11/1968

Cardiff 4 (Bird 2 (1 pen), Clark, Jones) Blades 1 (Addison)

Card68gu1.jpg
Card68gu2.jpg
Card68mt1.jpg
Card68mt2.jpg
Card68mt3.jpg
Card68mt4.jpg
Scores, scorers and league tables in below link

7/12/1968

Blades 2 (Hemsley, Woodward) Birmingham 0

Brum68tudor.jpg
Brum68gu1.jpg
Brum68gu2.jpg
Brum68gu3.jpg
Brum68mt1.jpg
Brum68mt2.jpg
Brum68mt3.jpg
From the programme
Brum68lines1.jpg
Brum68lines2.jpg
Brum68junsup.jpg

14/12/1968

The ref postponed our fixture at Ayresome Park because of thick fog. It was a wasted journey for the Blades fans who travelled there.

Not to spoil an excellent thread but I've lived in derby 7 years now and as someone who went to the old baseball ground as blade years ago .
I'm well known amongst old skool dlf hooligans and all they talk about is sheffutd in a good way. I drink in their boozers the Neptune, Bedford Arms, jorricks .
They have so much respect for blades as we always took it to them .
They thrive though on the skegness thing with our young uns 20 years ago when Thommo and their older lot took a pop at young blades but there's around 30 of us blades down here and not an issue .

Not to spoil an excellent thread but I've lived in derby 7 years now and as someone who went to the old baseball ground as blade years ago .
I'm well known amongst old skool dlf hooligans and all they talk about is sheffutd in a good way. I drink in their boozers the Neptune, Bedford Arms, jorricks .
They have so much respect for blades as we always took it to them .
They thrive though on the skegness thing with our young uns 20 years ago when Thommo and their older lot took a pop at young blades but there's around 30 of us blades down here and not an issue .
yeah best outing there was the 4th round cup defeat january 1970 3 - 0 loads of fun and games on the popside terrace that day derby tried hard that day but came unstuck 3/4 times that afternoon

4/1/1969

FA Cup 3rd round

Mansfield 2 (Roberts 2) Blades 1 (Tudor)

A few years later my dad was telling me about when 3rd division Mansfield knocked us out of the FA Cup, it was the only match I remember my dad telling me out of the matches during the 1968-69 season. I am not sure if he was at the match but I dont think he went to many games that season.
Mansfwoody.png
Mansfgu1.jpg
Mansfgu2.jpg
Mansfmt1.jpg
Mansfmt2.jpg
Mansfmt3.jpg

26/12/1968

Blades 1 (Addison) Crystal Palace 1 (C. Jackson)

View attachment 176730
View attachment 176731
View attachment 176732
View attachment 176733
View attachment 176734
Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables in below link

From the programme

View attachment 176735
View attachment 176736
View attachment 176737
well remember that boxing day game silent no buses that day walked it all way there and all the way back to shirecliffe one suprising thing that day went herries road penistone road route and out of the house bang next to wednesdays kop 2 lads came out wearing united scarves lol

that might be the game blade too long is on about in the old photos thread silent was a bit scary on the ponte end that night dingles didnt stand any piss taking that night on their end or the station afterwards
Or the 3-2 defeat in November 1970?

8/2/1969

Only 4 football matches were played that day as there were heavy snowfall in nearly all areas of UK. We were supposed to be playing at Preston on the 8th, home to Cardiff on the 15th and at Birmingham on the 22nd of February but they were all postponed due to the snow. Or next competitive match was in the following month. I think I can fairly remember taking the sledge to the schoolfield at Scarsdale Road in Dronfield, there were many others taking advantage of sledging down the slope and it was difficult to avoid accidents!

Feb68snow.jpg

26/2/1969

Friendly match. Our first match since February 1st. Snow and bad weather caused postponements of many matches for most of February 1969

Lincoln 3 (Hubbard, Jeffrey, Peden (pen)) Blades 2 (Colquhoun, Hemsley

Lincoln69mt.jpg

1/3/1969

Aston Villa 3 (Hole, Simmons 2) Blades 1 (Tudor)

Our first competitive match in 4 weeks!

First time I was aware that we wore gold shirts for the second time in the season (our match at Boro was the other occasion), must be the same gold shirts we wore at Palace in December 1971?

Villa69gu1.jpg
Villa69gu2.jpg
Villa69mt1.jpg
Villa69mt2.jpg

Says biggest crowd of the season for the Pigs. Should also read "biggest crowd in over 50 years, and counting".

1/3/1969

Aston Villa 3 (Hole, Simmons 2) Blades 1 (Tudor)

Our first competitive match in 4 weeks!

First time I was aware that we wore gold shirts for the second time in the season (our match at Boro was the other occasion), must be the same gold shirts we wore at Palace in December 1971?

View attachment 179973
View attachment 179974
View attachment 179975
View attachment 179976

I never realised that we had a month without matches. I remember for several weeks there was always a huge fall of snow on a Friday. It meant that we were all sent home from school early on a Friday afternoon. Long walks up Hutcliffe Wood Road and Bocking Lane.

Were our matches in February 1969 postponed due to the weather?

With our match on Monday coming up it's a bit ominous to see Arsenal scoring 5 on their visit to Sheffield 55 years ago.

I never realised that we had a month without matches. I remember for several weeks there was always a huge fall of snow on a Friday. It meant that we were all sent home from school early on a Friday afternoon. Long walks up Hutcliffe Wood Road and Bocking Lane.

Were our matches in February 1969 postponed due to the weather?

With our match on Monday coming up it's a bit ominous to see Arsenal scoring 5 on their visit to Sheffield 55 years ago.
Yes our matches for the previous 3 Saturdays were postponed due to the snow. Same for many clubs in UK.

Remember the game well and then watched it again on YTV on Sunday. Think it was Danny Blanchflower as commentator. What with the likes of Keith Macklin and Derek Dougan back then the coverage was so poor and amateurish. Happy days nevertheless.

4/3/1969

Birmingham 2 (Beard, Pickering) Blades 2 (Badger, Woodward)

Brum69Badger.jpg
Brum69mt1.jpg
Brum69mt2.jpg
Brum69mt3.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom