1968-69 (55 years ago) match reports and photos

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We tried to sign Ian Collard from West Brom a fortnight earlier but he didnt want a drop in wages. We then turned our attention to Eddie Colquhoun.

Graeme Crawford back at the Lane after recovery from injury he suffered just after he signed for us from East Stirling in the previous month.
Eddiewait1.jpg
Eddiewait2.jpg
Eddiewait3.jpg

Last edited:
Remember being at the Blacpool and Palace games..We were on John Street for the Palace game,and my Dad mentioned Woodruff was a danger with the long throw he had..didn't know he scored though...Always glad to beat Blackpool as my Uncle and cousin lived there and followed them.

Rowley gives up on Alex Young. Young went on to sign for Stockport County but played only 23 games for them before retiring due to injury.

Youngoff.jpg

I bought a ticket for that Mansfield fa cup away match. When my mother found out she gave me a clout and told me I couldn’t go. For some strange reason I took it to the Barnsley Chronicle offices and told them to find a good home for it.
I’d forgotten completely about that. Good threads these Silent to keep Alzheimer’s at bay

Danny Blanchflower was a terrible commentator, all he ever seemed to say was “chance”

Reference Ken Mallender. He was another recruit from Don and Dearne Boys. We signed loads from there, Frank Barlow, Geoff Salmons to name but two. The South Yorkshire coalfields were a great recruiting ground for young footballers. Wolves had a nursery club there, Wath Wanderers, played home games at Brampton I believe ?

First photo that included all the new signings of the 1968-69 season. Notice Colin Addison's tache, was he the only Blade player in the 1960s that sported facial hair?

Back row l to r; Len Badger, Bernard Shaw, Barry Wagstaff, David Powell, Alan Hodgkinson, Ted Hemsley, Tony Currie, Frank Barlow.
Front row; Alan Woodward, Colin Addison, Eddie Colquhoun, John Tudor, Gil Reece, Tony Wagstaff, Pat Buckley.
Blades6869.png

Someone asked me did Dearden and Tudor play in the same lineup together for The Blades. I'm not sure sure. I don't think think they did.

23/11/1968

Blades 4 (Tudor 2, McNab og, Reece) Preston 0

The goals of the game starts at 42 mins 58 seconds in below video

Preston68tudor.jpg

Preston68gu1.jpg
Preston68gu2.jpg
Preston68gu3.jpg
Preston68mt1.jpg
Preston68mt2.jpg
Preston68mt3.jpg
Scores, scorers and league tables in below link

From the programme

Preston68lines1.jpg
Preston68lines2.jpg
Preston68junsup.jpg

Back
Top Bottom