£40m worth of sales before any new signings - The Athletic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So what's the difference between our parachute payments and the ones that are supposed to give ex PL teams a big advantage over non ex PL teams in the Champ.?
Any side gambling with the parachute payments generally has backers prepared to make up the cashflow shortfall. Our owners either can't or won't.

The £40m probably isn't required to be bridged through sales, it'll be a combination of sales and reduced wagebill by shifting off higher earners and replacing them with lower earners. Ramsdale brings in £24-30m in fees plus £1.5m wagebill reduction; releasing Jags, Lundstram, Bryan and Rodwell probably frees up another £2m of wages. Leaves £5-10m to find, hence toting all the strikers and reserve left-backs around.

May as well sell anyone who isn't producing the goods I'd rather we sell Brewster and Burke than Jebbison may as well keep the young un's and throw them in the team, could they be any worse than Fleck and Norwood we could also easily lose two of our left backs. There is a lot of shit we could jettison even if it is at a loss.

Already gone
£24 million Ramsdale

What's left
£10 million Berge
£2 million Egan
£1 million Freeman
£1.5 million Baldock
0.5 million Robinson
£3 million McBurnie
£2 million Bogle
£1 million Osborn

Free Basham
Free Lowe
Free Burke
Free Norwood
Free Fleck
Free Verrips
Free Foderingham
Free Stevens
Free McGoldrick

£3 million Davies (who cares if he's not ours to sell)
Mousett and Brewster, can we just arrange a drive by shooting and claim on the insurance.

Some Premier League legacy innit, about the average cost of one player from a club that gets relegated from the Premier League,

Already gone
£24 million Ramsdale

What's left
£10 million Berge
£2 million Egan
£1 million Freeman
£1.5 million Baldock
0.5 million Robinson
£3 million McBurnie
£2 million Bogle
£1 million Osborn

Free Basham
Free Lowe
Free Burke
Free Norwood
Free Fleck
Free Verrips
Free Foderingham
Free Stevens
Free McGoldrick

Mousett and Brewster, can we just arrange a drive by shooting and claim on the insurance.

Some Premier League legacy innit, about the average cost of one player from a club that gets relegated from the Premier League,
Looking at your player values you must be Kevin McCabe 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Already gone
£24 million Ramsdale

What's left
£10 million Berge
£2 million Egan
£1 million Freeman
£1.5 million Baldock
0.5 million Robinson
£3 million McBurnie
£2 million Bogle
£1 million Osborn

Free Basham
Free Lowe
Free Burke
Free Norwood
Free Fleck
Free Verrips
Free Foderingham
Free Stevens
Free McGoldrick

3m for mcburnie nobody will pay that 🙄

Already gone
£24 million Ramsdale

What's left
£10 million Berge
£2 million Egan
£1 million Freeman
£1.5 million Baldock
0.5 million Robinson
£3 million McBurnie
£2 million Bogle
£1 million Osborn

Free Basham
Free Lowe
Free Burke
Free Norwood
Free Fleck
Free Verrips
Free Foderingham
Free Stevens
Free McGoldrick

We need to hold out for £35m for Berge, he’s a future Ballon D’or winner 😜

Looks like we’re holding out for 10 mil for Jebbo (including add-ons) and then he’s gone in the footsteps of Calvert-Lewin.

We could start by selling Coulibaly he isn’t helping us playing in Belgium and it’s clear we need the money

We could start by selling Coulibaly he isn’t helping us playing in Belgium and it’s clear we need the money
Interesting conundrum. Coulibaly was bought by SUFC and loaned out. Bids of around the £10 mill mark have already been rejected we are told from the likes of Milan.

Who turned the bid down though?

Stephen Bettis acting for SUFC. Stephen Bettis acting for United World? Jan Van Winckel acting for SUFC or United World or Beerschot?

What is the strategy regarding Coulibaly? If SUFC need to raise £40 million then Berge apart he is the most saleable asset we have so why are we looking to move on talented youngsters such as Jebbison instead?

What hat does the Prince wear in all of this?

Interesting conundrum. Coulibaly was bought by SUFC and loaned out. Bids of around the £10 mill mark have already been rejected we are told from the likes of Milan.

Who turned the bid down though?

Stephen Bettis acting for SUFC. Stephen Bettis acting for United World? Jan Van Winckel acting for SUFC or United World or Beerschot?

What is the strategy regarding Coulibaly? If SUFC need to raise £40 million then Berge apart he is the most saleable asset we have so why are we looking to move on talented youngsters such as Jebbison instead?

What hat does the Prince wear in all of this?

I honestly couldn’t tell you I’m deeply confused on the whole situation regarding Coulibaly at no point other than when we bought him have we acted like he’s our player

I honestly couldn’t tell you I’m deeply confused on the whole situation regarding Coulibaly at no point other than when we bought him have we acted like he’s our player
I agree they were questions directed towards the Board. I would willingly raise them with the Prince and Co in a fans forum. They require answers otherwise the conspiracy theories that the Prince has an off shore account and is syphoning off all SUFC's assets will continue. The whole ethos of United World and how it directly benefits SUFC requires explanation.

I agree they were questions directed towards the Board. I would willingly raise them with the Prince and Co in a fans forum. They require answers otherwise the conspiracy theories that the Prince has an off shore account and is syphoning off all SUFC's assets will continue. The whole ethos of United World and how it directly benefits SUFC requires explanation.
Yeah I’d like some clarity on the structure of the club and then the whole group as a whole

So, to sum up:
  • Most of the players will have taken a relegation wage cut
  • We've got Lundstram, Jagielka, Ampadu, Rodwell, Bryan & now Ramsdale off the wage bill
  • So far we've only brought in Davies
  • We've got parachute payments (although it seems they've already been spent?)
  • We've just received £24m for Ramsdale
  • There's 25K+ coming through the turnstiles at home games that we didn't have last season

Yet we can't buy anyone without selling more players? Its mismanagement on a huge scale. Meanwhile CW is off spending his £4m without a care in the world.

Either we get Coulibaly back to play for us, or we sell him. He's United's player FFS, not Beerschot's.

With The Athletic, a fairly sensible source, reporting today that the board told Wilder around £40 million worth of sales would have to be generated in the summer transfer window to make up the revenue shortfall caused by us dropping into the Championship. They also seem to be inferring that those sales are before United look to bring in any signings of our own. I’m presuming from that that further sales will be necessary to generate any transfer funds to fund a rebuild.

Setting aside the above which I find a little troubling, I’d be interested in canvassing views on who we could / would sell to address the shortfall. Effectively these are players we shouldn’t need to replace.

Berge looks a certainty now, brought in for £25m - would we recoup that? £20m perhaps.

We are clearly top heavy in the squad - I would like to keep McBurnie & Brewster as I think they would be outstanding at Champ level with service. Mousset would be moved on for me - £7m would be a reasonable receipt for someone who could potentially do the business at PL level but is damaged goods. I think we’d have to make a judgment between Sharp & McGoldrick, I’d go with the latter.

Apart from that I’m struggling a little - I wouldn’t want to lose Egan as I think he’s critical for us. Perhaps a Baldock or Bogle - £10m?

Not sure how we’ll fund a rebuild. Unless I’m missing some obvious ones?
Crazy when this was said so long ago.

It's all guesswork the Athletic dont know anymore than we do.If the prince is serious a bout getting promotion we wont sell all our main assets .Not as though we have a squad full of premiership players to sell all the quality we do have would stop us challenging next season.
Will be plenty of this shit coming out over the next few months
I love reading these back.

So, to sum up:
  • Most of the players will have taken a relegation wage cut
  • We've got Lundstram, Jagielka, Ampadu, Rodwell, Bryan & now Ramsdale off the wage bill
  • So far we've only brought in Davies
  • We've got parachute payments (although it seems they've already been spent?)
  • We've just received £24m for Ramsdale
  • There's 25K+ coming through the turnstiles at home games that we didn't have last season

Yet we can't buy anyone without selling more players? Its mismanagement on a huge scale. Meanwhile CW is off spending his £4m without a care in the world.

Either we get Coulibaly back to play for us, or we sell him. He's United's player FFS, not Beerschot's.

You forgot Simon Moore who is also off the wage bill, but apart from that, agree with all you said.

Back
Top Bottom