CONFIRMED Oliver McBurnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's widely acknowledged that we are going down the route of cherry picking the better players from the championship. Just accept it.

Firstly, I never said we wasn't.
Secondly, if you have some inside knowledge then please share it with the rest of us.
Thirdly, I'll accept whoever we sign... but that's all I'll accept!

How much would Austin cost

He’s scored 16 in 66 games for Southampton it's hardly 1 in 2. How much would he cost? He’ll be on big wages as said above and what resale value does a 29 year old have?

My concern about Austin, from what I’ve read, is that it sounds like he’s a player who is content to pick up wages and not play. That wouldn’t wash with Wilder.

We don't Pinchy but then there's the likelihood of higher wages from Brighton and Brighton are already a PL club which might appeal more than one that's just gone up, albeit Brighton only just stated up. As Ricky says, because he's from Leeds he may well prefer to move home.

I know but they’re Brighton and we’re Sheffield United. Played my ace, there...

I know but they’re Brighton and we’re Sheffield United. Played my ace, there...

Probably means more to you, a Sheff Utd fan, than it will a 22 year old footballer who was born in Leeds unfortunately.

I imagine since he's been following football he's probabaly seen more of Brighton in the championship and premier league than Sheff Utd.

Probably means more to you, a Sheff Utd fan, than it will a 22 year old footballer who was born in Leeds unfortunately.

I imagine since he's been following football he's probabaly seen more of Brighton in the championship and premier league than Sheff Utd.

Wikipedia says he was a fan of Rangers growing up. And Leeds released him when he was 14. So I'm not sure his Leeds links will be too much of an issue, only in that it may make him keen to get back up north. Who knows, maybe he'll jump at the chance to play with John Fleck?! McBurnie would've been 10 years old when Fleck was making his debut for Rangers and being talked about as the Scottish Wayne Rooney.

Wikipedia says he was a fan of Rangers growing up. And Leeds released him when he was 14. So I'm not sure his Leeds links will be too much of an issue, only in that it may make him keen to get back up north. Who knows, maybe he'll jump at the chance to play with John Fleck?! McBurnie would've been 10 years old when Fleck was making his debut for Rangers and being talked about as the Scottish Wayne Rooney.

I'm not saying he's a Leeds fan - I think it's rare that a player decides on which club to sign based on who they support anyway. I'm just saying he's not from Sheffield, so he will know as much or as little about Sheff Utd than the next man.

Essentially, the idea that we're a bigger club than Brighton, Bournemouthn Crystal Palace etc. is subjective, and ultimately unimportant: It's low down the list or not even a consideration for players picking clubs. This is evidenced by a player like Tyrone Mings going to Villa (One of the "biggest" clubs in the country) from Bournemouth (historically one of the smaller clubs) in order to regain fitness and play in the PL for his parent club.

He was banging them in for Barnsley in the Championship 2 years ago, proving himself in a big way. Scored about 11 and won their player of the season.

The only reason he didn't score as many or more than he got this season was due to only signing in January.

9 in 17 for Barnsley. Made his debut on 3rd Feb. Fantastic return for a relegated club. Of those 17 games, Barnsley only won 3.

I'm not saying he's a Leeds fan - I think it's rare that a player decides on which club to sign based on who they support anyway. I'm just saying he's not from Sheffield, so he will know as much or as little about Sheff Utd than the next man.

Essentially, the idea that we're a bigger club than Brighton, Bournemouthn Crystal Palace etc. is subjective, and ultimately unimportant: It's low down the list or not even a consideration for players picking clubs. This is evidenced by a player like Tyrone Mings going to Villa (One of the "biggest" clubs in the country) from Bournemouth (historically one of the smaller clubs) in order to regain fitness and play in the PL for his parent club.

I disagree. If a club like us came in and matched and offer like for like from say Bournemouth I feel the player would generally favour us. Not to sound like a pig but we are a large club, we are known for having fantastic support and we have a tidy and decent sized stadium. Turning up and playing at Bramall Lane surely appeals more than somewhere like Dean Court.

I disagree. If a club like us came in and matched and offer like for like from say Bournemouth I feel the player would generally favour us. Not to sound like a pig but we are a large club, we are known for having fantastic support and we have a tidy and decent sized stadium. Turning up and playing at Brammall Lane surely appeals more than somewhere like Dean Court.

It would obviously depend on the player.

In the hypothetical situation you're referring to, where us an Bournemouth are in for the same player, and offer the same wages, I would assume most would chose Bournemouth; partly because of location but mainly because they're are an established PL club and we are a newly promoted club, and favourites to go down.

Having a vociferous and larger supporter base, along with a nice stadium is good, but as I said, I think it's probably lower down on the list for most players.

If McBurnie does join, I'd th
I disagree. If a club like us came in and matched and offer like for like from say Bournemouth I feel the player would generally favour us. Not to sound like a pig but we are a large club, we are known for having fantastic support and we have a tidy and decent sized stadium. Turning up and playing at Bramall Lane surely appeals more than somewhere like Dean Court.

Taking any partiality out of it, GCH - if you were in McBurnie's shoes and were offered £25k/week by both Norwich and Bournemouth, who would you choose to join? I know where I'd go and I'm afraid it wouldn't be the newly promoted club.

It's pretty much always money. How much can they get and for how long. £10,000 a week is an extra £0.5m a year. For a young lad looking to secure his future (he could suffer a career ending injury remember) then he's going to look for the dosh. I know I'm no different.

I'm guessing we can't compete with Brighton financially. Even if we could, at this stage of proceedings, you'd assume they're more likely to stay up than us. I'd be amazed if we beat them in a straight battle for him.

Only positive I could see is if Swansea put some clause in the exit deal saying Brighton and Potter can't go back for players (unlikely) or the Swans just want to play hardball and not deal with Brighton...that would of course assume we pay the same fees as Brighton for him.

Anyway, I don't think the lad can step up so I hope we don't get him. Maupay all the way!

Mcburnie should be our priority target
It's pretty much always money. How much can they get and for how long. £10,000 a week is an extra £0.5m a year. For a young lad looking to secure his future (he could suffer a career ending injury remember) then he's going to look for the dosh. I know I'm no different.

I'm guessing we can't compete with Brighton financially. Even if we could, at this stage of proceedings, you'd assume they're more likely to stay up than us. I'd be amazed if we beat them in a straight battle for him.

Only positive I could see is if Swansea put some clause in the exit deal saying Brighton and Potter can't go back for players (unlikely) or the Swans just want to play hardball and not deal with Brighton...that would of course assume we pay the same fees as Brighton for him.

Anyway, I don't think the lad can step up so I hope we don't get him. Maupay all the way!

Mcburnie should be our priority target as he offers something different that we don’t have. He absolutely is capable of making the step up to the premier league.

We would not be able to match the salary Brighton can offer him if they are seriously after him

Mcburnie should be our priority target

Mcburnie should be our priority target as he offers something different that we don’t have. He absolutely is capable of making the step up to the premier league.

Such as...no pace?!

If you take the Football Manager database (yes it's opinionated but it stems from professional scout assessments) then Maupay and McBurnie are pretty darn close. McBurnie's poor physicals are what make me think he won't make the step up to the EPL...throwing it out there...I don't think there's too much between a young Jordan Rhodes and Oliver McBurnie...

Source:
McBurnie - https://fmdataba.com/19/p/11034/oliver-mcburnie/
Maupay - https://fmdataba.com/19/p/9804/neal-maupay/
Rhodes - https://fmdataba.com/19/p/10890/jordan-rhodes/

We would not be able to match the salary Brighton can offer him if they are seriously after him

Wilder will work his magic to build value in signing for us despite us not being able to match Brighton wage offer we’d be able to offer something similar with a survival bonus and other performance related bonuses. working with the top English manager that has a proven track record of improving strikers is surely a very attractive proposition

Such as...no pace?!

If you take the Football Manager database (yes it's opinionated but it stems from professional scout assessments) then Maupay and McBurnie are pretty darn close. McBurnie's poor physicals are what make me think he won't make the step up to the EPL...throwing it out there...I don't think there's too much between a young Jordan Rhodes and Oliver McBurnie...

Source:

He offers a presence and a target which Maupay doesn’t really offer, mcburnie is excellent at retaining possession and making an outball stick upfront which we’ll need next season. I see him as a huge upgrade for the Madine role. We all saw how valuable a target man can be with spurs v Ajax the other night. Maupay or Rhodes do not offer this.

Wilder will work his magic to build value in signing for us despite us not being able to match Brighton wage offer we’d be able to offer something similar with a survival bonus and other performance related bonuses. working with the top English manager that has a proven track record of improving strikers is surely a very attractive proposition

Not if you could snag five figures a week more in salary and bonuses, regardless of status or performance.. Brighton will also pay the agent more. We don't do that.

I firmly believe Brighton will go down next season but on paper, currently, we look likely to as well.

Such as...no pace?!

Source:

Interesting, but after looking through a bit I can't trust the physical attributes at all.

Reece James' rating for strength is........... 11.

Out of 20.

Not if you could snag five figures a week more in salary and bonuses, regardless of status or performance.. Brighton will also pay the agent more. We don't do that.

I firmly believe Brighton will go down next season but on paper, currently, we look likely to as well.

If he gets advised correctly by his people then he’d take 5k or 10k a week less to potentially earn far more long term. We will create far more chances than a poor Brighton team for him next year and if he bangs them in for us then he’ll get a big move in 2 or 3 years.

Interesting, but after looking through a bit I can't trust the physical attributes at all.

Reece James' rating for strength is........... 11.

Out of 20.

He skips leg day. What do you expect?!

Lord knows how they measure the physicals! Agree James' looks wrong.

If he gets advised correctly by his people then he’d take 5k or 10k a week less to potentially earn far more long term. We will create far more chances than a poor Brighton team for him next year and if he bangs them in for us then he’ll get a big move in 2 or 3 years.

Maybe we should send him the Norwood interview to show him how hard it was to leave even though they didn’t want him.

I'll do the McBurnie physical ratings:

Acceleration - 12
Agility - 14
Balance - 13
Jumping - 14
Natural Fitness - 11
Pace - 12
Stamina - 13
Strength - 12

Something like that. He's a decent all round physical specimen.

As I said, he should just work on his power. There's room for him to get stronger and quicker.

Last edited:
If we and Brighton are both seriously after him then it's not even a contest, he'd go to Brighton. We were in the bottom half of the Championship in terms of wages, where do you think that puts us in the Premier League?

Here are his goals from this season. He looks like a taller version of Sharp. Has a knack of getting in the danger zone at the correct time. Also happy to carry the ball and can win headers in crowded boxes.

If we and Brighton are both seriously after him then it's not even a contest, he'd go to Brighton. We were in the bottom half of the Championship in terms of wages, where do you think that puts us in the Premier League?

Depends whether he is just after money. We can't compete with Brighton for wages but he's from Leeds and started at Bradford - he may want to move back up here. He may also view us as a better bet of staying up next season than Brighton.

Brighton will be one of the teams we will be needing to finish above next season.

We paid about £400k per week in wages last year (give or take) and Cardiff were lowest in prem at £960k. Given there will be a promotion uplift (someone said 50% was likely) then that puts us at £600k. Will Wilder bust the structure for a single target...who knows.

Back
Top Bottom