New view of Lane re-development

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

View attachment 32438

someone posted this on Old Photos etc ....... (forgot to look who, SOZ)

That’s weird, looks like the mound of earth which defines “a Kop” has already been moved.
Maybe flattening the whole Shoreham Street site isn’t as big a job as we all thought.

It’s a shame our Kop wasn’t on the Bramall Lane side then could build retail outlets and restaurants and bars underneath and try to tie it in with the China Town development.

The plan is to move all the radio reporters and journalists from the back of the South stand over to the Media Centre between the Kop and South stand. This then frees up some additional seats in the South stand.

Is it?

That corner bit between the Kop and South can’t be used for seats because it’s well past the corner flag.

The corner bit is half office space and half a (massive) Media Centre for Sky tv and all the dozens of reporters that seem to turn up when the PL show is in town.

A full corner wouldn't be feasible but if we ever needed more seats there is plenty of room for a wing that would add a fair amount to the capacity. I'm not saying that should happen but I'd rather see that than a business centre.

There are still some clients that realise the importance of using the architect throughout the process to get better buildings - but what you say is usually true (sadly).

Novated isn't it? doesn't really matter because its a made up politically correct way of saying 'all but sacked' - substituted ......
Yes, it's novated but auto correct caught me out on that one.

Gosh. Who would award a building contract to a tennis court surface company (that originally went bankrupt in 1994)?
Same kind of stupid fuck that appoints a plumbing company to do their new underpinned basement and then wonder why their house fell down.

That corner bit between the Kop and South can’t be used for seats because it’s well past the corner flag.

A full corner wouldn't be feasible but if we ever needed more seats there is plenty of room for a wing that would add a fair amount to the capacity. I'm not saying that should happen but I'd rather see that than a business centre.

WRONG - a full corner of seats is quite feasible - but you would have to demolish some of the side of the kop at least to put it in properly. But 'we' have to accept some demolition to PROPERLY do the job.

That’s weird, looks like the mound of earth which defines “a Kop” has already been moved.
Maybe flattening the whole Shoreham Street site isn’t as big a job as we all thought.

Don't be afraid ..... the kop mounded up towards John Street, they had to build more terracing at 'this' end to make it level along the top.

Gosh. Who would award a building contract to a tennis court surface company (that originally went bankrupt in 1994)?

Seeing as SH didn't own ETC in 1991 when the all seater Kop was finished and SH wasn't a director its hard to see how he had any involvement or the ability to appoint Henry Boot.

WRONG - a full corner of seats is quite feasible - but you would have to demolish some of the side of the kop at least to put it in properly. But 'we' have to accept some demolition to PROPERLY do the job.

Obviously it's feasible with some demolition, an airport is feasible with some demolition.

So we’d lose at a guess 1000 seats on the Kop to gain at a guess 1000 seats by joining the 2 stands together to make a corner.
The Kop doesn’t stop at the corner flag, it goes beyond and almost behind the South stand, hence why some seats at the bottom corner have a no view (so taken the seats out).

Well, yes - but instead of guessing, someone ought to do the profit - loss maths. I'm sure I did do it about 20 years ago.

If the existing kop is to be demolished (plenty of us think its had its day) this sum is immaterial anyway.

As Bramall Lane has developed organically over the years there will always be areas of the ground that do not blend in well with other parts. The corners do not fit neatly, the stands have different rakes, older bits of the ground obscure newer bits etc.

The ground is also restricted by the road network that surrounds it and the needs of the local businesses and residents have to be taken into account.

If you are wanting a fit for purpose all singing all dancing stadium then the only alternative is to knock the whole thing down and start again. I don't believe there is any stomach for that from either the Board's point of view or the fans so we will have to put up with the old girl as she is.

Long may she continue to develop as she always has.

As Bramall Lane has developed organically over the years there will always be areas of the ground that do not blend in well with other parts. The corners do not fit neatly, the stands have different rakes, older bits of the ground obscure newer bits etc.

The ground is also restricted by the road network that surrounds it and the needs of the local businesses and residents have to be taken into account.

If you are wanting a fit for purpose all singing all dancing stadium then the only alternative is to knock the whole thing down and start again. I don't believe there is any stomach for that from either the Board's point of view or the fans so we will have to put up with the old girl as she is.

Long may she continue to develop as she always has.
Please please don’t start referring to Bramall Lane as the “old girl”

It’s stinks of the pigs calling their dump the ‘old lady’ , it sickly and it makes me want to throw up when I hear it.

A corner would be possible if you build it in line with the end of the Kop but up stick it on stilts so it's not blocked by the South Stand. You could have a tunnel to access the Kop from the bottom underneath it so the height would be useful. Build it at the same or greater rake than the South Stand and then that wouldn't be in the way, and then like mentioned in my shit drawing post, they could fashion some kind of building above the corner, which would also act as the roof for the corner stand.

I've been at the pens again.
20171024_192237.jpg

Here's like a little 3D thing
vOhRcny.jpg

I'd prefer something like this though. Some seats at least. Hate the idea of filling the only corner we have that has genuine expansion potential with another business centre.

Would be an engineering challenge at the very least.

A corner would be possible if you build it in line with the end of the Kop but up stick it on stilts so it's not blocked by the South Stand. You could have a tunnel to access the Kop from the bottom underneath it so the height would be useful. Build it at the same or greater rake than the South Stand and then that wouldn't be in the way, and then like mentioned in my shit drawing post, they could fashion some kind of building above the corner, which would also act as the roof for the corner stand.

I've been at the pens again.
20171024_192237.jpg

Here's like a little 3D thing
vOhRcny.jpg

I'd prefer something like this though. Some seats at least. Hate the idea of filling the only corner we have that has genuine expansion potential with another business centre.

I’m hoping McCabe see the potential for the extra seats. When the plans were originally drawn up our fan base was smaller. It’s grown and hopefully he’ll recognise this.

This is exactly why I suggested repeatedly, at every opportunity, well past the point that it was remotely amusing (if indeed it ever was), that we had to take advantage of the fact that Martyn Woolford had a degree in civil engineering. The man was never given a chance to prove himself.

Back
Top Bottom