New view of Lane re-development

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

index.php

Does the image given here imply that the plans are to engineer out the current overlap of the South by the right hand end of the kop, or is it a trick of the perspective taken in the artist's impression ?

Given that the existing overlap regularly figures in debates on here about what is and isn't desirable, or viable, in any rebuild or add-ons to the existing stand, it might be an interesting question to resolve.
This is the later one with the south stand extension. Looks to be same at the bottom corner as the one you showed.

msm4om.jpg

Residents don't grant planning permission, they can only write to the council with any objections they may have.
The Planning Committee then make a decision.
I'm sure that the Councillors who are true Blades will..........................................Oh! :(
Er, full planning permission is already in place for the kop and the south stand extension has outline approval. :)

I'm just basing it on what Fulham have done, which is exactly that.

What? Fulham have been posting on here about corporate boxes and they got it wrong too?

They should stick to their own cottaging and leave this to the Blades.

Look at the chunk taken out of the new upper tier of the South Stand at the right end of it in the above photo ...... it's because the new hotel gets in the way.

all the more reason for moving the Kop towards Shoreham Street.

What? Fulham have been posting on here about corporate boxes and they got it wrong too?

They should stick to their own cottaging and leave this to the Blades.
No, they've put corporate boxes in the corner between the stand that backs onto the river and the away end.

I seem to recall (although could be wrong) that Woolhouse sanctioned this. I also seem to recall that he proposed John street doing immediately after this and joining them up round the corner too.

Perhaps he sanctioned this then disappeared. He lived up our end and after all the interpol interest, I believe he sold his pad to a mate and that he lived at the bottom of the garden!!

UTB

School Green Lane. There was a bunker under the helipad ! He's still there. Drinks in the Rising Son. :)

Look at the chunk taken out of the new upper tier of the South Stand at the right end of it in the above photo ...... it's because the new hotel gets in the way.

all the more reason for moving the Kop towards Shoreham Street.

While one hotel is loss making I can't see there being a rush to build another one a couple of hundred yards away. How about somewhere to house pets who aren't allowed into the ground on matchdays, and Greenwich Blade s back pack ?

How about somewhere to house pets who aren't allowed into the ground on matchdays,

We've done this to death. I thought any dogs and cats counted in the official attendance figures, provided their owners had season tickets?

Keep up at the back there, Sean Thornton

I seem to recall (although could be wrong) that Woolhouse sanctioned this. I also seem to recall that he proposed John street doing immediately after this and joining them up round the corner too.

Perhaps he sanctioned this then disappeared. He lived up our end and after all the interpol interest, I believe he sold his pad to a mate and that he lived at the bottom of the garden!!

UTB
The kop was built by a company owned by his mate (En-Tout-Cas) and fellow board member at the time. May be worth a google search to find out what happened to him .......

I used the word "new" to describe the existing hotel because - any expansion of the ground ought to have been borne in mind when the hotel was designed.

It is poor planning that leads to cock-ups like that, hence my comment about 'good' architects.
Architects don't really design buildings though, Quantity Surveyors and D&B contractors do. Architects just getting planning consent and do detail drawings for the D&B contractor they're notated to, along with the MMAs following the value engineering workshops that destroy most of what the architect was trying to achieve.

It's the side stand to the left of the away end (if you're sat on it) that backs on to the river.
Exactly. When you enter the ground from Stevenage Road you walk along the back of the stand to then turn right up the steps to your seat.

There are still some clients that realise the importance of using the architect throughout the process to get better buildings - but what you say is usually true (sadly).

Novated isn't it? doesn't really matter because its a made up politically correct way of saying 'all but sacked' - substituted ......

Last edited:
With both the South and Kop (bolt on) proposals, I'd imagine a lot of the work could be done during the season. The structure and additional rows (tier n the SS case) can be built up behind the current structure. Then the joining up process takes part at the end of the season. May be a bit more difficult with the kop given the extra rows will effectively sit above the current gangways.

Examples of this are the newish 3rd tier at Man City and the recent new stand at Liverpool. Much of the bottom tier at Anfield is the old stand, albeit it smartened up and refurbished.

The kop was built by a company owned by his mate (En-Tout-Cas) and fellow board member at the time. May be worth a google search to find out what happened to him .......

En Tout Cas wasn't a building firm it installed tennis courts and football pitches to the best of my knowledge.

If you look at the number of windows compared with the actual business centre it suggests that they're corporate boxes, probably with restaurant, bar etc behind them.

That corner bit between the Kop and South can’t be used for seats because it’s well past the corner flag.

The corner bit is half office space and half a (massive) Media Centre for Sky tv and all the dozens of reporters that seem to turn up when the PL show is in town.

That corner bit between the Kop and South can’t be used for seats because it’s well past the corner flag.

The corner bit is half office space and half a (massive) Media Centre for Sky tv and all the dozens of reporters that seem to turn up when the PL show is in town.

The plan is to move all the radio reporters and journalists from the back of the South stand over to the Media Centre between the Kop and South stand. This then frees up some additional seats in the South stand.

Back
Top Bottom